• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware Resident Evil Village, RE4 Remake, Death Stranding & Assassin’s Creed Mirage coming to iPhone 15 Pro With Full Support for Hardware Ray Tracing

looks like a lot of software issues fucking up the results. otherwise it's a poor upgrade

Yes it seems that early software issues are really blemishing the results. I was surprised with the Solar Bay results too, perhaps they're falling back to the software implementation and not making use of the hardware RT at all?
The projected ~4x number is not there at all, not even a ~2x, its ~1.4x.

scores are going up on 3DMark, and I gotta say, they're pretty disappointing

in Wildlife Extreme, it ranks #15 and is the new highest placing IOS device

in Solar Bay (the ray traced reflections bench), it's been moving up to #2

Apple shared their tech talk of M3 and A17 pro, discussing Dynamic Cache, Mesh Shader, and HWRT solution

Screenshot-from-2023-11-09-19-47-02.png

Screenshot-from-2023-11-09-19-49-45.png

Taking Imagination Technologies of classification and going by the description of Apple's M3 GPU. Lvl 4 has been achieved?

The game is ~30GB on iOS and ~80GB on MacOS

There's a 50% discount until 17th of January 2024 -> 29.99 Euro/USD

I don't think there'll be much improvement with a patch later on, but Performance on the iPhone 15 Pro is @ 1560x720 (MetalFX) with a 30fps target. It seems to hit that 30fps target well, but in heavier scenes/loads scenes it goes below 30fps and running @ ~25 fps.
The iPhone is quite thermally constrained, so I wonder if a mobile cooler can improve the frametimes to be better. It's when charging as that also introduces additional heat.

All in all, it's of course not the perfect playable experience, but given that it's only available on the Pro models of this year, I hope Apple can improve the thermal bottlenecks that's holding back the performance on this device. Moreover, it's impressive how RE4 launched this year and it's "running" on a mobile phone with a ~4.5W power consumption by the SoC.

On iPad it's overall a much better experience, but Capcom has enabled a 30fps cap, but this was also the case with RE:Village with the preview builds, so I hope final releases removes that 30fps cap.

Yeah, I think thermals will stay an issue for AAA gaming in a form factor like that, keeping it passively cooled and all. Smartphones in general aren’t great in terms of consistency wrt peak performance in cases like this.

Yeah, I think thermals will stay an issue for AAA gaming in a form factor like that, keeping it passively cooled and all. Smartphones in general aren’t great in terms of consistency wrt peak performance in cases like this.
If Nintendo really fully realized what they have with the switch. They should be going after getting every major AAA on the next one. There is a BIG market for people that want to play these game on the go at the highest possible quality.

there's not much you can do to improve thermals outside of sticking a fan on the iphone

True, although looking at their logic board design, I presume they rely on dissipation through their metal chassis primarily given the heat spot, however the surface area and cooling solutions is quite primitive when compared to other smartphone OEMs;

JggKHB8.jpg

Other OEMs such as Samsung do provide a (large) vapour chamber for thermal dissipation;

I'd be curious if they even try to fit such a cooling solution (while not going overboard with trying to attain a higher frequency) to provide a performance profile that at least can sustain 30fps would be ideal. If the GPU frequency can go higher during those high loads, and the cooling has not saturated yet, the overall experience would be better.

But gaming is not their primary pillar point as it remains to be a phone, within a certain design profile, for a certain audience with the expectation of slimness.

Looking at their video, the proposal to game devs is interesting, as they desire to have parity between most of their platforms (within reasonable expectations w.r.t. asset sizes and resolution). They are aware of the throttling behaviour and designed a specific test profile for that, akin to a console platform. I'm curious how other game ports will perform as we've only see RE ones :p.

Last edited:

Looks like Death Stranding is included for Universal Purchase, I wish announcements weren't delegated to WWDC or apple events tho :p. 2024 is looking quite sparse big-title wise after Death Stranding and AC:Mirage in Q1.

Super excited for Death Stranding. Love that game, am excited to give it another play on iPad. Those mushrooms won’t pee on themselves!

There is only one response to a 50% off launch discount on The Death Stranding:
NwehSDv.gif

All set for Wednesday! Never played the Director's Cut, seems like there's some prettayyyyy, pretty good stuff in there.

I'm relatively impressed considering its power consumption. If the iPhone 15 Pro is the floor, then this is an impressive first iteration IMO.
Doesn't hold 30fps as well ofc, and the visuals are what I would say; Switch-fidelity (1560x720, likely using reconstruction, probably under low-quality settings), so considering the overall packaged price (phone and game) it's not the ideal experience.

iPad Pro M1 & M2 are performing quite decent (locked to 30fps though), but again I really don't think there's the use of an metalFX that's ML-based in these titles (Re4, death stranding). They just don't look as temporally stable (

Sadly no possibility to adjust graphic settings though :(. Kind of boring heh, would've liked to unlock the framerate to see how far they can be pushed.

He also showed a snippet in the laptop/desktop version comparing the iPad Pro M1/M2 to the MBA & MBP;

bHdOXOc.jpg

eWrWhId.jpg

Hope there's a comparative analysis soon (Geekerwan is likely going to do one after AC mirage 🤔 )

I didn't expect them to send out preview builds.

it further validates my thoughts that it's taken until now to get "Switch-level" games on mobile (ignoring cpu limitations of the switch)

Saw that the app seemed to unlock while I was asleep, went to launch it and…got nothing but a black screen lol. Restarted the iPad, re-downloaded the app, still bupkis for now.

EDIT: Restarted again, re-downloaded again, started the app via Game Center and…it worked! And now that the whole game is downloaded, it seems to launch just fine. Unfortunately my time to sit down and play it today was up before I got this far hah. Impressions soon-ish!

Last edited:

• 54GB on iphone. one of the largest initial downloads for a game
  • 720p after upscaling. I'm guessing 360p native. lots of shimmering on thin lines and ghosting on hair
  • the game seems to run out of memory, which causes crashes
  • there are no graphics options, everything on low
  • goes through 53% of battery in 1h20

• 54GB on iphone. one of the largest initial downloads for a game
  • 720p after upscaling. I'm guessing 360p native. lots of shimmering on thin lines and ghosting on hair
  • the game seems to run out of memory, which causes crashes
  • there are no graphics options, everything on low
  • goes through 53% of battery in 1h20

The Iphone battery when you play DS.

BgiZJP.gif

54 GB man. Its funny seeing all ports have way different graphic settings lol.

Huge storage size requirement 😅 .
128gb minimum on the iPad and iPhones, those devices will get constrained fast.
Idk how they're going to approach it for the future if game sizes are expected to be around this size.
Storage managing is not the best if you can't offload it to some external drive...

Eitherway, I wish the framerate was unlocked on the iPad Pro M2 (or at least provide some more graphical options mannn, I want to tinker around). Performance is stable and playing it on a screen like this is amazing.
720p after upscaling. I'm guessing 360p native. lots of shimmering on thin lines and ghosting on hair

It could be the native resolution, as it shows a 1.0x scaling (1560x720), which is then upscaled (composited) by the display to the screen resolution. Although that could also be a bug, because I agree that there is very apparent shimmering and ghosting (you could also view it clearly on lines on the building at 11:00, very sparse and not complete at all).
In RE4 and Village, you could see the relative scaling that was being used (RE4 1560x720 with 1.8x scaling, indicates an internal resolution of 866x400).

It could be the native resolution, as it shows a 1.0x scaling (1560x720), which is then upscaled (composited) by the display to the screen resolution. Although that could also be a bug, because I agree that there is very apparent shimmering and ghosting (you could also view it clearly on lines on the building at 11:00, very sparse and not complete at all).
In RE4 and Village, you could see the relative scaling that was being used (RE4 1560x720 with 1.8x scaling, indicates an internal resolution of 866x400).
very weird since it looks so blurry. maybe the TAA solution is just really bad with IQ retention

very weird since it looks so blurry. maybe the TAA solution is just really bad with IQ retention

Yup, even on the iPad Pro there's a discrepancy compared to the M2 on the MBA/MBP. Granted in the snippet they were running a higher resolution, but I presume there's a much lower sampling count on the mobile devices for w/e metalFX method they're using Especially compared to the PS4, despite RE4 on the iPad Pro looking somewhat closer IQ-wise (apart from the hair, which just does not look as good).
I hope there's some extensive deep-dive with some cross-platform comparison in the future, but again I really don't think this an ML-based solution (which DF mentions at their previous assessment). I've played DLSS with low input resolution and I think even XeSS resolves better than this.

Last edited:
Yup, even on the iPad Pro there's a discrepancy compared to the M2 on the MBA/MBP. Granted in the snippet they were running a higher resolution, but I presume there's a much lower sampling count on the mobile devices for w/e metalFX method they're using Especially compared to the PS4, despite RE4 on the iPad Pro looking somewhat closer IQ-wise (apart from the hair, which just does not look as good).
I hope there's some extensive deep-dive with some cross-platform comparison in the future, but again I really don't think this an ML-based solution (which DF mentions at their previous assessment). I've played DLSS with low input resolution and I think even XeSS resolves better than this.

Isn’t MetalFX just a spatial upscaling with some ML tackled on? None of MetalFX upscaling in RE games and DS have impressed me, I think the one in Xenonlade 3 and FSR 2 in NMS impressed me more on a much weaker hardware as switch

Isn’t MetalFX just a spatial upscaling with some ML tackled on? None of MetalFX upscaling in RE games and DS have impressed me, I think the one in Xenonlade 3 and FSR 2 in NMS impressed me more on a much weaker hardware as switch
there's a performance mode that's a spatial upscaler and a quality mode that's a temporal upscaler

No there exist different variants of MetalFX;
  • MetalFX Temporal antialiased upscaling - akin to FSR2
  • MetalFX Spatial upscaling - akin to FSR1
During A17 Pro reveal apple shared that they had;
  • MetalFX ML-based upscaling - akin to DLSS*

The latter was only demonstrated and confirmed with Genshin Impact, whereas with the other titles I've seen no confirmation of what variant they were using, nor, like you were saying, do they impress that much when upscaling from a lower resolution compared to other solutions.
Granted strong artstyle driven titles, such as Xenoblade 3 and NMS can resolve much better, as there's less high-frequency details that add a lot more noise, but from just testing with DLSS at lower resolutions, whatever's being used here isn't that impressive.

*They mention the ANE is used, but no confirmation if it's inferring an ML model.

MetalFX support is available in games such as;
  • Genshin Impact (iOS/iPadOS only)
  • No Man's Sky
  • Death Stranding
  • Lies of P
  • Grid Legends
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Stray

I think DF even mentioned MetalFX spatial resolves poorer than FSR1 in RE:Village in their review, so there's still a breadth of titles to compare how Apple's upscaling implementation really resolves, and from my own knowledge it's somewhat mixed.

I've seen some mention that they see Apple Neural Engine (ANE) activity when enabling MetalFX on their desktop, but there's no consistency in the reporting. It could be that the MetalFX algorithm offloads its computation to the ANE, without inferring an ML-model, there's no clarity on that.

Their videos are actually pretty great in explaining, I suggest to take a peek if you have time;

Yes it seems to be pre-order only discount before it goes up at launch.
according to the reddit support thread, the discoiunt is until Tuesday Feb20! Nice hehe

Last edited:
Alright! I played about an hour of Death Stranding on an iPad Air (5th Gen). The IQ is indeed fairly soft, and yes, everybody’s hunky hair has a bit of a weird shimmer. Honestly though? Stuff like that only bothered me when I stopped to put my nose to the screen, so to speak. When I’m sitting comfortably a few feet from the iPad and just playing, I think it looks very nice! Framerate was rock solid. I’d imagine the visual cutbacks would be even less consequential on a smaller iPhone screen.

Let’s talk about the virtual controller for this motherfucking video game. I unfortunately forgot to take a screenshot of my own so it’s not an exact 1:1 to how it looks on iPad but:

G15ccwd.png

LMAO. Like I get it, there’s not many ways you can translate an entire controller to a touch screen. But…wow. You have to hold down the triggers while moving and adjusting the camera a lot in this game. 😂 Part of me wants to attempt a delivery with touch controls for true Death Stranding x QWOP convergence.

Geekerwan looked at the M3 in the macbook air, and ran Death Stranding at 1080p (no MetalFX) at the highest (?) settings.

Passively cooled, and it's quite impressive if that power measurement is accurate (Especially because it's passively cooled 🤓 ).
In my eyes, the iPad Pro M2 is like the Switch 1.5 with all these games haha.

6iRIJB5.png

Also, you can adjust some settings in the iOS/iPadOS versions (although not officially through the app);

Petty neat.

Assassin's Creed Mirage will be launching on June 6 on the App Store for iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPad Air and iPad Pro with M1 chip or later.

Cross-save and cross-ownership will also be available for players to enjoy the game between iPhone and iPad as they please.

No MacOS version though, but I assume that'll come later (Epic exclusivity deal) 🤔 .

1286x0w.webp

1286x0w.png

Last edited:
No Mac version is weird. Might have to do with Ubisofts lack of storefront

I saw that the game isn't on Steam also, maybe there's a certain clause to not have it on other storefronts apart from EGS and UPlay, because both of them are on MacOS, but Apple likely has a stake in this port. On the other hand they don't stop you from releasing it on other platforms, No Man's Sky came out on Steam and it was also announced on WWDC.
Lies of P, BG3 are on Steam.
There's likely some specific deal or clause that goes with these ports for MacOS.

edit; EA is on MacOS. Uplay isn't 💀 , so I stand corrected lol

Last edited:
Well seeing Apple announce the M4 with 2x the GPU performance of the M2 in my iPad Pro, I'm curious how much better it'll be and how it'll inevitably compare against the switch 2 with the select titles that are out there. Heck even compared against the handhelds of the future :p.
M4 is made on "second-generation of 3nm process". Seems like they updated the thermal design also and as per their marketing it matches M2 in the iPad Pro with half the power consumption.
Yeah, that's nuts.

edit; it's "4x" lol

Capto_Capture_2024_05_07_10_21_31_AM.jpg

Last edited:
Well seeing Apple announce the M4 with 2x the performance of the M2 in my iPad Pro, I'm curious how much better it'll be and how it'll inevitably compare against the switch 2 with the select titles that are out there. Heck even compared against the handhelds of the future :p.
M4 is made on "second-generation of 3nm process". Seems like they updated the thermal design also and as per their marketing it matches M2 in the iPad Pro with half the power consumption.
Yeah, that's nuts.
I figured the M series was for big tablets and PCs. any handheld would be from the A-series. they squish this down into a Switch competitor, it'd be interesting (and redundant)

I figured the M series was for big tablets and PCs. any handheld would be from the A-series. they squish this down into a Switch competitor, it'd be interesting (and redundant)

Oh it's certainly not a direct competitor for sure, especially with the very slow release cadence of the supposes AAA titles, moreover with the requirement of having on-screen touch control it won't be as easy to play unless you have (like I do) a 8bitdo controller in the backpack and a case that puts the iPad in a foldable position. I guess for the iPhone there's always the controller grip to allow for a good experience.

With the mean the handheld angle, I hope they elevate their 16 model to live up to, hopefully a thermal re-design and this "Second generation 3nm process" can remedy the pain points with the 15 Pro. I doubt that they want to divert it to a specific device, but instead you should be able to experience it on all their devices and that has to start with the base models imo.

Short-term I viewed the 15 pro as their test-bed to bring AAA titles, but damm the release and confidence by publisher doesn't show that any future titles will come. I've played around with their tools and there are pain points to be worked through, but it's better than in the past.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is also nowhere to be seen for larger Mac's. Like they're waiting with such large gaps and unlike a console there's also no older games being ported or "remastered" for iPhone. So there's no game library to speak of, even if these devices are now able to brute-force it as it's shown through their Game Porting Toolkit, the market and monetary incentive needs to be there. I'm curious how the sales have been so far, because I've purchased most of the games :D , especially with the day 1 sales they had.

edit; Nonetheless, genshin and honkai will finally run 120fps all the time 😂 .

Last edited:
So I found out that you could adjust certain parameters in the "local_config.ini" that's in the game folder for Resident Evil 4, which provides access to certain parameters not available to you in the game.

View of the file shown in spoiler;

IMG-0177.jpg

Knowing that capcom didn't include the possibility to adjust visual settings in the app itself, which in comparison to RE:Village you could play around and find an set of optimal settings if you'd like. I thought, why not take a moment and see what's possible. I know that you could double the framerate from an 30fps target to an 60fps target, but perhaps there's something more.

Playing around with these parameters and observing the change hinted me that it's likely that the internal value corresponds to a range of Low (0) to Very High (5) and some are just toggles to ON or OFF.

One aspect that bothered me is the low texture quality that's available through iPad Pro M2 was the default presentation of the textures in RE4 as follows:

iPad Pro M2:

(Open in a new window to see the image in full resolution)
IMG-0172.png
AppTextureQuality = 1 (Default)​

Presuming that 0 is Low and 5 is Very High, I tried to see what the difference could be:
IMG-0173.png
IMG-0175.png
AppTextureQuality = 0​
AppTextureQuality = 5

The difference is really apparent on the door frame, but most of the scenes in the beginning are quite dark so it's hard to make out the difference in detail from the screenshots.

Another view or comparison;
IMG-0178.png
IMG-0176.png
AppTextureQuality = 1 (Default)​
AppTextureQuality = 5​

But you see that little tree (?) in the distance, that stays very low in resolution 🤔.
From walking up to that object and just generally observing how it changes across various settings, I assume that the quality for that asset just isn't included or there's a bug, because the ground texture IS changing.

I assumed that's because the asset that's included for that is just very low in resolution, so there's no way around it as adjusting AppTextureFiltering doesn't provide much of a difference, but I thought why not play around and see what other settings do, because so far I only adjusted the Texture quality and filtering in isolation.

So that leads us to enabling Tesselation and increasing the Mesh Quality and hey, that tree now looks like a tree!
(yes some screenshots have different timestamps, because I was deleting the local_config file and double checking)

IMG-0185.png
IMG-0185.png
Default​
AppMeshQuality= 5
AppTesselation = 1
AppTextureFilterQuality = 3
AppTextureQuality = 5​

There is some artifacting and pixel like "boiling", and my hunch is that it's due to the upscaling that's implemented (MetalFX), now I'm not sure what the exact faults are in Capcom's implementatio, because if you close up to the character model through the photo mode the detail comes clear again (logically).

Nontheless, increasing AppImageResolution to 3 and setting the AppImageUpscalingQuality to 2 (+ adjusting other settings such as StrandHair to 1, ShadowQuality, Ambient occlusion, contacthadow etc.) results in the following comparisons:

IMG-0192.png
IMG-0191.png
Default​
"Higher quality"​

Not sure if all settings have an tangible effect, but you can see along the neck that it resolves a lot better (likely due to AO and a higher shadow quality setting). Moreover, that shimmery hair, is also not as apparent.

iPhone 15 Pro

Playing around with it on the iPhone 15 Pro (Max), allows me to unlock the framerate to a 60fps target (of course achieving it is another story), but also perhaps see if I can uplift the texture quality, which I did.

Default"High Quality
IMG-2271.png
IMG-2273.png
IMG-2272.png
IMG-2274.png

I primarily tested in static enviroments, but the smoother experience due to the higher fps target is instantly noticed on the iPad Pro M2, while the iPhone 15 Pro clearly is chugging at times and low frametime dips are apparent with no enemies or larger areas to render. Ideally I'd have to enable the dev profile on these devices such that I can enable the metalhud overlay for accurate metrics. Obviously all these reduced settings are done to preserve battery life and prevent excessive heat

Nonetheless, I think there can really be some adjustment/optimal setting for a better visual result and for the iPhone especially it just needs 1 iteration to be on-par with the PS4, because with these two gameplay shots do look amazing on that screen;

IMG-2277.png
IMG-2278.png

Edit; Captured some footage using same settings as in the screenshots above, you can clearly see it chugging along and hovering sub 30fps, also the aliasing is apparent due to the recording, while playing it on screen it isn't as apparent.

I might do another post with Death Stranding, as that game app also allows you to configure settings, but it doesn't provide the user to configure it themselves (honestly it's the poorest decision imo, lots of mobile games allow you to configure settings in general). Perhaps if I can get my hands on the M4 ipad and if the app isn't updated, I'm curious how a 120fps target would fare on it (if possible).

On the other hand, I'm curious about the upcoming WWDC next month :). Really hope that MetalFX will get an update that's also retroactively applied to these ports.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom