• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Report: Quake II (Enhanced) to be revealed at QuakeCon 2023

HockeyBird

Villager
Pronouns
He/Him

So according to this report, an enhanced version of Quake II will be announced at Quakecon for Switch, PC, Playstation, and Xbox. The person reporting it seems to be pretty reliable. They said the documents only refer to the game as Quake II, no remastered subtitle but it is described as "enhanced". August 10 looks to be the announcement date with the game releasing the next day. Pretty cool for old ass people who like shooters.

This is one of Nightdive's "5 upcoming remasters". Probably gonna be same as Quake 1, includes all of the expansion packs, online deathmatch, some fanmade extra levels.

But I don't think it'll be $10 like the first one...

I never really clicked with Quake like I did with some of the other boomer shooters, but it's cool that the Microsoft support is ostensibly continuing.

I know they claimed Bethesda games could go multiplat, but tbh I was still skeptical. Other than Doom, which I'm pretty sure by one of the gaming commandments is required to be ported to every machine capable of running it. And some that aren't.

I may grab it, give it another go. I've generally liked Nightdive's work.

this was leaked a few months back by the Korean ratings board, actually. The screenshot in the article is from the RTX build, but i don't think this confirms they'll be using that tech in this version.
but Bethesda is already preparing for the release, as the current Steam Quakecon sale has every game in the series except 2 on sale. which is the same thing that happened before the original game's remaster was confirmed.
image.png

it would also be nice (though unfortunately unlikely) if they updated the original game to include the Methods Of Destruction fan album as a tie-in.
it was Quake 2 composer Sonic Mayhem's first project, and John Romero himself getting sent a copy was what led to ID picking him as the composer.

The first game remains my favorite, but that's not to say Quake II is a bad game, far from it.

Will definitely get it on Switch.

I played the Playstation version of Quake II in 4 player split-screen a lot. What a great port and great memories! I hope this one has a split screen too. Especially the weapons and weapon designs in the game are very memorable and we gave them fun nicknames. Shotgun was called the "goose killer", for example.

Will Quadrouple dip.

I just hope like Quake I, they keep the original soundtrack, this time made by Sonic Mayhem.

Will they upgrade the FMV cutscenes, though?

Back
Top Bottom