• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Remember London Studio (2002-2024)

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
330px-London_Studio.svg.png

Today, we are seeing the closure of London Studio, a studio founded by Sony 22 years ago. While their releases became much more scarce in the PS4/5 generation, they were synonymous with Sony and PlayStation peripherals in the PS2/3 eras.

While they started out making soccer games in their early days, they also experimented with new ways to interact with games. In 2003, London debuted the Eye Toy, a camera accessory that allowed people to play with motion. It was a very early Kinect. EyeToy spawned several games in the PS2 and PS3 era. London Studios even put out a smaller form for the PSP to go with the release of EyePets. Some of the MLB games utilized the Eye Toy as a way to put your own face into the game via create a player. I remember seeing demos for this device at a kiosk in Toys R Us back in the day.

800px-PS2-Eyetoy.jpg

In 2004, London Studios started the Singstar franchise. As one of the first music peripherals of the PS2 generation, it spawned several games over the course of a decade. It became a great party game franchise in the days before franchises like Just Dance. Guitar Hero and Rock Band took the world by storm in the late 2000's, but London Studio managed to keep the franchise relevant. There was a free to play PS4 game that stayed in service until 2020.

800px-Singstar_usb_microphones.png

Late in the PS3 generation, London Studio debuted the Wonderbook. It was meant to be an interactive game using a combination of the eye toy, PS Move, and a Wonderbook accessory. While the final product didn't live up to expectations, check out the infamous E3 live demo, it was still nice to see Sony still thinking outside the box.

6893074_xcv1a.jpg

With accessory add on's starting to phase out, London Studio pivoted to the PSVR. In 2016, they came out with PlayStation VR World. In 2019, they launched Blood and Truth. It was a FPS VR game where a former special forces soldier needed to save his family from a successful
Blood_and_Truth_cover_art.jpg

After toying around with more VR ideas, London Studio announced in 2022 that they were embarking on a brand new AAA game. It was meant to be a fantasy co-op combat game set in modern London. The studio was excited about this opportunity as they had not made a "traditional" console game since the PS2 generation. Unfortunately we will never see their new vision realized.

playstationlondonnewgamefeatured.jpg

While London Studio may not have created a modern tentpole franchise like Uncharted or God of War, they were a huge part in shaping the identity of the PS2 era for fun and different ways to game. While London Studio isn't a household name in the AAA space, their innovation helped to make PlayStation what it was in the 2000's. A treasured part of Sony's history died today.

Its wild how well the eye toy actually holds up, I experimented with it again a couple of years ago and had a better time with it than the Kinect.

Last edited:
Late in the PS3 generation, London Studio debuted the Wonderbook. It was meant to be an interactive game using a combination of the eye toy, PS Move, and a Wonderbook accessory. While the final product didn't live up to expectations, check out the infamous E3 live demo, it was still nice to see Sony still thinking outside the box.

6893074_xcv1a.jpg
For anyone interested, here's a video essay I watched a few months ago that covers the creation of the Wonderbook.

Its wild how well the eye toy actually holds up, I experimented with it again a couple of years ago and had a better time with it than the Kinect.
It probably helps that Eye Toy didn't get cut back a whole lot in the middle of its development like Kinnect

London Studio were also a merger of Team Soho (The Getaway, Porsche Challenge, This Is Football) and Psygnosis/SCEE Camden Studio (Kingsley's Adventure, Blast Radius) - so definitely some cool games in their history from the PS1/PS2 days

They haven't done anything interesting. I'm honestly surprised they lasted this long, if it wasn't for SingStar.

Japan Studio on the other hand...

Didn't have much experience with London Studios. I think the only time I really played one of their products was trying out an Eye Toy at a Best Buy a long time ago.

Eye Toy worked with Just Dance right? Or maybe a later version did. It made the game so much more fun.

Back
Top Bottom