• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion RDR is such a charming little masterpiece of a game on top being an low key excellent port on the Switch

Kreese

Koopa
Banned
Is it worth the price? Given that it's probably one of the best games ever made and that it's an excellent port on top of being portable, I would say go for it... absolutely... I'm having a blast. If you have a Switch OLED, you're in a for a real treat because the game and what subtle technical improvements they made to it just pop on that screen. Truthfully, I think this port was made with the Switch in mind first and foremost and I'm glad that it retains all the charm of the original as opposed to them trying some new thing and most likely butchering the developers original artistic vision which is often seen with remasters. Something about portable play and RDR just go so well together with its spaghetti western appeal and missions that are very enjoyable in pick up and play bursts. I'm not sure if it's down to the ports or the games themselves, but RDR just feels a lot more at home to me on Switch than the GTA Trilogy did.

I had some reservations about playing this while I was still playing TOTK because I feel that many elements of the open world are archaic in comparison and the disparity would prove too jarring... and while that may be true in some respects, this game still absolutely slaps and manages to feel relevant and thoroughly enjoyable in 2023. If anything, the linearity of the quest design feels like a charming throwback and is a nice change of pace from the incredibly intricate open world quest design Nintendo masterminded with TOTK, which is often as overwhelming as it is magnificent.

RDR on Switch is the perfect, cozy, open-world adventure to follow up another that you just experienced in TOTK- showing us the best of where open worlds came from while Nintendo showed us the best of where they currently reside.

Last edited:
I had this on PS3, but didn't play too much of it. Grabbed it out of a bargain bin for like $20. Highly considering the Switch version and want to wait for the physical release(hoping the full game is on the game card). Impressions for the Switch port have been pretty positive.

Yeah, it's a great port of a great game.

I understand the broader disappointment and discussion surrounding this release, but the port itself is great, and the game aged beautifully (and lends itself very well to Switch).

This is one of the biggest appeals of the switch and I hope Nintendo “gets it.” The ability to play high end AAA third party games on a “Nintendo” console AND it be portable, if I desire, is a BIG selling point. If they get it right, switch 2 should fall in line and keep the momentum going.

Love this game. Still haunted by that “hunt & kill a bear with only a knife” challenge but, yeah. Jonesing to play this. Trying to decide between Switch & Xbox BC.

The port is excellent, and despite being a 13-year-old game it provided me with one of those "I can't believe I'm playing this on a portable" moments that have been such a thing throughout the Switch's life.

Despite being a phenomenon, I know a good number of people who have only ever played this game's sequel. I really hope the renewed attention brings fresh eyes to this game so a whole new generation can realize that there are two GOATed Red Dead games.

This is one of the biggest appeals of the switch and I hope Nintendo “gets it.” The ability to play high end AAA third party games on a “Nintendo” console AND it be portable, if I desire, is a BIG selling point. If they get it right, switch 2 should fall in line and keep the momentum going.
Switch is Nintendo's grand slam. The concept is a huge win and they would be crazy to abandon it going forward. Sure, improve upon the joy-cons/control schemes and other features, but keep the core concept intact.

Switch is Nintendo's grand slam. The concept is a huge win and they would be crazy to abandon it going forward. Sure, improve upon the joy-cons/control schemes and other features, but keep the core concept intact.
I don’t think they will abandon it. I hope they don’t make a decision for a gimmick or new ability in switch 2 that derails it, in lieu of the hybrid capability.

I don’t think they will abandon it. I hope they don’t make a decision for a gimmick or new ability in switch 2 that derails it, in lieu of the hybrid capability.
I don't think they will either. Improvements to display, joy-cons, button layout, ergonomics, etc... is about what I would expect.

Will be playing it for the first time on the Switch and I'm pretty excited. Would like it if it were cheaper, but what can you do.

Played it back on PS3, it is one of Rockstar's best games, hands down.

I'm not a big fan of Rockstar (do like GTA Vice City, Bully), but Red Dead Redemption is just really good. Cool story, great setting, lots of things to do. And hey, Undead Nightmare is stupid, great fun. Still don't understand why RDR 2 became the snoozefest it is.

Played it back on PS3, it is one of Rockstar's best games, hands down.

I'm not a big fan of Rockstar (do like GTA Vice City, Bully), but Red Dead Redemption is just really good. Cool story, great setting, lots of things to do. And hey, Undead Nightmare is stupid, great fun. Still don't understand why RDR 2 became the snoozefest it is.
RDR2 ups the open world elements and drama but ultimately it's just not as fun as RDR. I still would appreciate a Switch/Switch2 port though.

Sigh. wanted it on Argentina eshop as I'm not willing to pay $50. Then they locked down that store to foreign credit cards. Wonder how long before it goes on sale to $30.

Maybe a dumb question but this is better played before 2 right? Maybe I will buy this and play 2 when I buy a Steam Deck in Christmas

Maybe a dumb question but this is better played before 2 right? Maybe I will buy this and play 2 when I buy a Steam Deck in Christmas

Yes... for sure. This game has one of the greatest narratives in gaming history and playing the second before the first would destroy the story... not to mention that in many aspects the first game remains superior.

Back
Top Bottom