• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club R(h)ate the Direct (June 2023 Edition) = please lock this one (vote in the one with the poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guaraná

Paratroopa
The poll will be closed after 24 hours because I don't want rational votes, I want people to vote with passion. As always, your vote is secret, so no one can judge your poor choice.

Current since-Famiboard-is-a-thing Nintendo Direct ranking:
  1. Feb 2022 Direct - 4,26 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐
  2. Feb 2023 Direct - 4,00 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐
  3. June 2022 Direct - 3,60 stars⭐⭐⭐
  4. Sep 2022 Direct - 3,44 stars⭐⭐⭐

looking for the poll so I can give it 2 stars

giphy.gif

I honestly thought that was horrible lol

I'm assuming this won't be a popular take, but: I know Chris Dring was merely extrapolating with his bullshit "no big games after Zelda" rumor and probably didn't have any actual info, but... he was kinda right tho

8/10 for me.

Slow start, but they turned it in. Enjoyed watching it and it has enough stuff where i said to myself "Yeah, gonna buy this."

Plus, Ganondorf Amiibo. For the sake of humanity, it needs to be rated M.

4.5/5. It was weirdly Mario-centric, but all the big announcements were hype, and Pikmin 1 and 2 were shadow dropped somehow, so how could it not be good?

I'd give it a 7/10. Not every Direct is going to be 10/10 and not every Direct is going to cater specifically to my tastes and that's ok.

I'm assuming this won't be a popular take, but: I know Chris Dring was merely extrapolating with his bullshit "no big games after Zelda" rumor and probably didn't have any actual info, but... he was kinda right tho

See you when Wonder crosses 10m

like a 2/5 for me

just nothing there I cared about at all personally other than the Mario RPG remake but even then not like a giant amount or anything

also just gave off some weak vibes with the whole using time to talk about the splatfest and those other events thing

It was a 3/5 for me. Not a ton of absolute must-haves but still lots of good games. One more thing like TOTK DLC or something Metroid related would’ve made it great.

2D Mario is one of the most beloved and biggest series in the history of gaming.

It's an historic lineage of games and will sell over 20 million copies.

I dare say this Direct, in the platforms 7th year, was better than the year 3 showcases for PS5 and Xbox...

Ngl, it was pretty disappointing. I only buy 1 or 2 Switch games and outside of ToTK there's been nothing for me this entire year.

I'm gonna give it a B for Batman - four stars. It was alright.

Peach game
Luigi's Mansion 2
Batman Collection (look like the UE3 versions of the first two games; maybe/hopefully)
MSG Volume 1
Mario RPG Remake (a freaking miracle)
"Not-so-New-But-Kinda-New" Super Mario Bros Wonder

It was good.

I would say 6/10. 7/10 if I'm being generous.

I was really disappointed for the first 10 or so minutes, like practically "I might stop watching" level, but Super Mario RPG salvaged my mood. Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks neat too, and I'm happy to see Kamek finally in a mainline Mario Kart.

Probably a 3.5 or 4/5. Pikmin 1 + 2 shadowdrop, Zelda and Ganondorf Amiibo, Mario Wonder, LM2 remaster, Peach game, and holy fuck Super Mario RPG Remake is real are all great. Then DP2 being alive is cool, and Star Ocean R looks fantastic. Wario Ware is cool, just not for me.

Not many HEAVY hitters on a personal level, but that's okay. I am so beyond set for games this year. Still have TotK and Starfield to worry about on top of most of these games.

About what I expected for this. Switch is winding down so having that many games period is a plus for me honestly. This is a far higher note to end the switch on compared to the Wii.

I’ve typically been super critical of Directs in the past. I think I’ve only given one above 2 stars so far, but this one was really good for me. If Prime 4/Silksong would’ve made an appearance it would’ve been possibly been my favorite Direct ever.

+

Super Mario RPG Remake
Princess Peach Game
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Vampire Survivors
Metal Gear Collection
Luigi’s Mansion Remake (my wife loves this series)

-

No Metroid Prime 4 or Silksong
Too many Farm Sim games
Opening with Pokémon DLC was kind of lame

4 Stars.

It was basically 2d Mario for me and well here are the next batch of Kart courses.

It wasn’t an outright bad direct by any means, but not a lot of meat on the bone for me personally.

Definitely one of their weakest directs imo, but it was expected. This is Switch's last year and the fact that they are still making mainline games is great. The new Mario looks insane, SMRPG looms great as well, as well the Star Ocean looks so good.
Meanwhile a splatfest in a direct? The Seattle stuff? What?

I would rate it like this
For a normal direct it's like 3-4/10
For a direct of a console that's about to be replaced it's 7-8/10

Started slow, when they started with Pokémon DLC I thought they wouldn't have too much beyond 2D Mario, but then they went absolutely crazy.
Mario RPG remake looks exactly how I hoped a remake of it would look : round as fuck, looks like good old N64 renders.
Peach game looks weird and fun.
Ghost Pikmin is too cute. Pikmin 1&2 ?!
Finally a REAL Wario Ware on Switch. Looks glorious and dumb as fuck.
Physical release on Switch for the MGS collection, hell yes.
Super Mario Bros Wonder... What the heeeeeeeeell. This is out of a dream. They really went 10 years without a brand new 2D Mario game (not counting the Maker even if they are legitimate mainline Mario games for me) only for them to claim back their crown as the GOAT of 2D platforming.

It's weird, I see it wasn't great, and I get that some people might have hated it, buuuut...

I wanted MGS, I got it. I wanted Batman Arkham, I got it. I wanted a new 2d Mario, I got it... plus nice little surprises like Super Mario RPG remake, Pikmin 1 and 2, Detective Pikachu 2 finally showing itself, Luigi's Mansion 2 remastered.

I guess I liked it!

Apropos of nothing: is this the first Switch Direct with no Bandai Namco presence at all?

I did not like the opening with Pokemon. But then they showed so many great games. Penny's Big Breakaway, Star Ocean 2 remake, Dragon Quest Monsters and Pikmins.

It was... ok, for me personally.
The rumoured games I was the most excited for, Paper Mario and F-Zero HD, eere nowhere to be seen, and neither was Metroid.

Wonder and WarioWare looked great, though, and might get SMRPG too.

Mario Wonder looked amazing. I thought the Super Mario RPG remake looked great too. Some good stuff in there in general like Metal Gear and Luigi's Mansion 3. The Switch will definitely get some use out of it for me. My daughter will enjoy a lot of these games too.

My general impression though is that the big games are being saved for Switch 2 and it's about time. 2024 is where it's at.

It's weird, I see it wasn't great, and I get that some people might have hated it, buuuut...

I wanted MGS, I got it. I wanted Batman Arkham, I got it. I wanted a new 2d Mario, I got it... plus nice little surprises like Super Mario RPG remake, Pikmin 1 and 2, Detective Pikachu 2 finally showing itself, Luigi's Mansion 2 remastered.

I guess I liked it!

Apropos of nothing: is this the first Switch Direct with no Bandai Namco presence at all?
They were afraid Baten Kaitos I & 2 HD would outshine the entire lineup and instead showed the new trailer yesterday, wise move.

Its hard for me to rate it as I am not that into alot of Nintendo ips and my tastes tend to lean heavily rpg, so i always tend to not expect much outside of maybe 1-2 games. Thus, its hard for a direct to disappoint or excite me. I like Super Mario RPG, DQ Monsters, and Star Ocean...but enough to buy them idk. Rest of direct did nothing for me.

On the flip side, my partner, whose childhood crushes include Mario and Bowser nearly cried at Super Mario RPG and Dark moon annoucements. They are very excited for Mario Wonder too. So I can see the direct being great for people who love mario games.

It was okay. February was much better for my tastes but the MGS collection, new 2D Mario/Warioware, the 3D platformer by the Sonic Mania team were solid announcements.

Definitely feels like it's getting close to Switch successor time, though.

Don't see a poll. This is a 4/5 for me.

A.bit uneven with a lot of remakes , reminder announcements for previously announced content and HD rereleases. Clearly a new console isnt far off, but it is a packed direct with something for everyone

SMRPG is a must buy for me

Solid 8/10, Super Mario Wonder is clear and away the highlight, game looks phenomenal. I'm excited for all the Mario (although I don't care at all for Mario RPG, happy for the fans tho), Pikmin and Wario Ware announcements.

Pokemon DLC opening was mid af, and no Splatoon DLC but showing the next splatfest sucked. Honestly just needed to see FE4 Remake and Metroid Prime 4 but I'm sure we will see them at the September direc.t

2.5/5

Big positives:

• Pikmin 4 continues to look fantastic
  • Having the complete Pikmin series on Switch as of next month is a surprise, but a welcome one to be sure
  • Super Mario Wonder looking like Weird Mario rearing its head in the 2D series for the first time since the GameBoy
  • Super Mario RPG remake being real, being this year, looks like it does a good job of translating the original visual style into 3D graphics
Small positives:
  • new WarioWare is a surprise, even if I'm a little worried about the amount of content
  • Takahashi & Koizumi doing a post-WarioWare bit was a delight
  • Princess Peach getting her own game plus the brief snippet of it looking interesting
  • new 2D Sonic plus new 2D Mario later this year is kinda fun
Big negatives:
  • third party selection quite weak to my tastes. First time for a long time there haven't been any third party announcements that appealed to me. A big downer for me that, Square Enix collaborating on Mario RPG aside, there was nothing to look forward to on that front.
  • pacing and placing of announcements felt bizarre. Opening with Pokemon DLC with zero dates, splicing the Super Mario announcements all over the place, taking time to advertise tournaments in a Direct, discussing the next SplatFest but not the Side Order DLC. Nintendo did a good job of making things on Switch look thinner than they actually are.
  • Over-reliance on Super Mario and to a lesser extent Pokemon. Delighted with some of the Mario stuff - especially Wonder, RPG, Princess Peach, Kart 8 content, but Switch's big strength in recent years has been the variety of franchises Nintendo bring out. First half of 2023 nailed that again; second half of 2023 not managing it right now with 2 Pokemon expansions, a Pokemon spin-off, and two Super Mario titles in the holiday season.
  • 2024 teases felt unnecessary and like an excuse to highlight Mario content following the success of the movie.
  • August and September are devoid of first party content but probably have a shadow drop or some DLC (like Side Order) slotting in; would prefer to see that to get a better sense of the year as a whole. Would've been good to see something unexpected or high profile from a third-party plug that gap.
  • continued lack of brand new properties from first-party teams is disappointing. Nintendo have dropped off on that front from 2019 onwards.
Small negatives:
  • Pikmin 1 + 2 being available today, and the whole mainline series being made available on Switch, has made me think yet again about how inconsistent Nintendo's approach to their back catalogue is. I hope it'll be less of a problem in future because I expect our software libraries to carry over through Nintendo Accounts, and I expect the sub catalogue to remain available and be on their next system. The fact we didn't see if they'd had any work done beyond upscaling also serves as a reminder of how inconsistently Nintendo treat their back catalogue.
  • Not the fault of the Direct, but the timing and spread of Nintendo's releases this year is odd and is reminiscient of the times they genuinely did struggle to manage the software pipeline. After Pikmin 4, there's nearly a 3 month gap between games, before four Nintendo titles launch in the space of six weeks.
Summary:
While I've listed more positives than negatives, the negative points weigh pretty heavily for me. The third party selection especially was weak for my tastes, and the reliance on Super Mario to carry the holiday season was something I expected but the heavy emphasis on the series today was disappointing in terms of presentation quality; especially because two of the reveals were nothing burgers, with one being a 3DS remaster and the other, more interesting new game having zero meaningful information revealed about it. I don't care for insubstantial reveals. Like I've said above, Switch's strength for me has been the versatility and the best periods on the system have been when Nintendo really strike a good balance between various franchises, and today didn't have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom