• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown announced for PC and consoles, coming January 18th, 2024 (UPDATE: demo + reviews out now, see threadmarks)

2D Prince of Persia? Hollow Knight and Metroid Dread inspired? Native resolution + 60FPS on Switch?!! It's Christmas all over again!

EDIT: also dang, that art design reminds me of PoP2008 in the very best of ways.

This will be my first video game purchase of 2024. Very excited for it. Sold from the announcement trailer back at Summer Games Fest.

accessibility trailer
PC system requirements + console performance, have been shared also

ConsolesPOP_16_9_Card_1920x1080.jpg

Quite impressive, looking forward to this game :D

Oh wow 120fps will be great.

Also I just saw this on YouTube -

It's looked awesome from the start, the only thing I was worried about was Switch performance as I really prefer it for anything these days. Locked 60 fps at 720 p handheld / 1080 p docked? Sold. I think this is an easy 85+ Metacritic incoming and potential to be one of my favorites of the whole year.

I literally gave two 💩 about this game before clicking on the thread on a whim.
An hour and a google journey of the PoP trilogy story later, and seeing Dat Map, now I'm wondering if I should Day One this thing 🤣

I literally gave two 💩 about this game before clicking on the thread on a whim.
An hour and a google journey of the PoP trilogy story later, and seeing Dat Map, now I'm wondering if I should Day One this thing 🤣
Jordan Mechner gave the game his thumbs up.

Very hyped and also very glad to see not a single "Hollow Elden Lies of Blasphemous P Souls and Sanctuary : Jedi Knight of the Fallen" mechanics when you die.

I was just about to post the trailer too :D

Downloading the demo as we speak, I'm very excited!

It's looked awesome from the start, the only thing I was worried about was Switch performance as I really prefer it for anything these days. Locked 60 fps at 720 p handheld / 1080 p docked? Sold. I think this is an easy 85+ Metacritic incoming and potential to be one of my favorites of the whole year.

What can I say, when you know you know. ;)

I hate anyone who didn't buy Sparks of Hope, that game is so frikking good and one of the best Mario RPGs in recent years.

Ubisoft can still do good stuff.

played the demo and it was pretty amazing, I'm definitely buying this but it is a ubisoft game so I'll probably wait for the inevitable ultra discount.

When Ubisoft allows its devs to leave the AC mines, cool stuff happens, as Child of Light, Mario + Rabbids, Fenyx Rising, and this one prove.

On the flipside, the Switch version turns in a presentation better than expected - you get 1080p60 in docked mode and 720p60 in portable and, honestly, the results are remarkable. Yes, in comparisons, it's clear that visuals have been reduced in spots - textures are all lower resolution, for starters, the reflections featured in many scenes are completely absent and cutscenes tend to run at 30fps rather than 60fps, but beyond this, it's very comparable and smooth. I'd argue this is one of the best-looking games I've played on the Switch - especially when coupled with the Switch OLED.

Switch performance isn't quite perfect, but still impressive. By and large, I do think it holds 60 very well. In busy scenes, frames can drop here and there, but after spending a couple hours on Switch, this is uncommon, and the game feels very polished and fluid overall. Cutscenes can drop - in a couple scenes, they can drop very low due to alpha effects filling the screen, but this is also quite uncommon. Considering what we've been seeing on Switch as of late (particularly with third-party titles), this game feels almost like a miracle for the platform. It's good enough where I could recommend this version if you were interested in playing portably! It's that solid. The same is true of portable mode, of course, which runs just as well as docked without any hiccups or oddities - and may even be a touch smoother.

DF's released their analysis

This game definitely has me hyped!

And I just want to say that I really dislike the negative tone about Ubisoft these last pages. Yes, they might have made some games you dislike and made unpopular business decisions but damn, they certainly have one of the most impressive and diverse portfolios in the industry both in developing and publishing over time.

Played the demo and really enjoyed it! I’m such a Metroidvania lover, so I can’t wait to fully jump in. I will say I was hoping the movement would feel a smidge more fluid, but I think Dread just spoiled me.

This game definitely has me hyped!

And I just want to say that I really dislike the negative tone about Ubisoft these last pages. Yes, they might have made some games you dislike and made unpopular business decisions but damn, they certainly have one of the most impressive and diverse portfolios in the industry both in developing and publishing over time.

It's not really bad business decisions. They treated their employees like garbage. There were examples of sexual assault filed against their female staff that their top dogs tried to bury.

Just finished the demo. Holy shit, this is amazing. The combat, parries, platforming, secret paths, Sands of Time atmosphere and fantastic soundtrack.

I unfortunately won't day 1 this as I need my money but mannnn, this game shot up to extreme hype level.

And they even have in game portraits/sprites too! This game oozes so much passion, same as Mario + Rabbids and of course, Rayman Legends.

This team doesn't miss.

Not all Ubisoft teams are created equal

Ubisoft Montpellier has a stretch of great hits since Rayman Origins (the iOS games don’t count)

I hope this will convince the bigwigs at Ubisoft to give them some more attention rather than giving everything to the Assasins Creed team

I played through the demo (well, up through the section with the switch-activated leaves) on Xbox Series S and, well, it's alright. I love that it goes right into wall-jumps and air-dashes around spike and guillotine traps. However, it seems like I'm playing underwater, which is tolerable for the platforming but makes combat feel really bad. Rayman Origins/Legends suffered from input latency and floatyness, so I'm not surprised to see another Montpelier game exhibit the same issues, merely disappointed (especially over a year after the slick and responsive Metroid Dread).

I will say that The Lost Crown looks and feels like Prince of Persia, both the original 2D game(s) and the Sands of Time trilogy (less so 2008), even though historical time-wise it is seemingly set much earlier. I don't know what's going on with the Immortals and the other characters -- they feel like they're straight out of Fenyx Rising or somesuch -- but I expect they'll be better fleshed out in the full game.

So I played the demo on hard mode

Everything works for me except for the parry system

Maybe it’s because I’m used to Metroid Dread but I found the parrying difficult

So I switched parry to easy and put parry on the X button and it works out well

Quoted by: em
So I played the demo on hard mode

Everything works for me except for the parry system

Maybe it’s because I’m used to Metroid Dread but I found the parrying difficult

So I switched parry to easy and put parry on the X button and it works out well

Parry timing is much earlier than one might expect. It appears Sargon has to go fully into the block pose to pull it off.

Just finished on Switch!

I really like all the accessibility options and that you can remap the controls pretty freely (only wish I'd seen that earlier, parry on LT was driving me crazy, that's just wrong :LOL: ). Also having the option for persian audio is kinda cool! Really noticing the Metroid Dread and Hollow Knight influences, although I do agree that Dread controlled a smidge more fluidly. Story is kind of a question mark, this doesn't seem to have any direct relations to Sands of Time, given they named the prince, I assume it's another one and not the Prince? Who knows, guess that'll have to wait for the full game. I really disliked how the demo stops right before fighting the first boss, while there were some opportunities for combat, I really would've liked to see a bossfight in action :/

Overall, I'm even more hyped for the game, so I guess the Demo did a good job 😅

Whoa, hard modes are really hard. And not "cheap" hard, pretty good fair high difficulty. It even details what changes with the difficulty. Me likey, probably start the game at the hardest difficulty.

Also played it in Persian dub, truly elevates the experience. As a Turk, I was able to pick up some words, 20% of modern Turkish is Persian anyway.

I could smell some good stuff since the first trailer they showed. Never been a PoP fan, but love Metroid-likes and I know quality when I see it.

Tried a bit of the demo. The combat is fluid and a bit harder than expected but the world feels a bit... empty? So far at least. Hopefully that starts changing later.
The demo starts after the prologue and so skipped a pretty cool intro level. Also a zone with a massive statue frozen in time is kinda cool.

Definitely feeling vindication for being excited about this after the game was thrashed by gamers when it was revealed

Does the demo save data transfer over to the main game? I didn't see that information in the demo trailer or its description on YouTube.

Does the demo save data transfer over to the main game? I didn't see that information in the demo trailer or its description on YouTube.
Nope, it's a slice of the game after the prologue but with a more powered up playable character

Demo was awesome, controls felt smooth as hell to me, maybe not quite Dread levels but better than almost anything else in the genre that I've played. Combat was a ton of fun, platforming was cool, and there's a lot of cool ideas even in this small slice. Really excited for the full release

OT title suggestion: Metroid Dreads

Nope, it's a slice of the game after the prologue but with a more powered up playable character

Demo was awesome, controls felt smooth as hell to me, maybe not quite Dread levels but better than almost anything else in the genre that I've played. Combat was a ton of fun, platforming was cool, and there's a lot of cool ideas even in this small slice. Really excited for the full release

OT title suggestion: Metroid Dreads
Ah, thank you for the answer! I wonder if it's the same segment they were demoing at PAX West. I may have to take a look, despite the save not transferring.

The memory shard thing is something very simple but that blew my mind. Just take a picture and put in the map so you can remember the thing you were supposed to look at. Also love all the assist options, specially the parry timing.

Back
Top Bottom