• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Pretend Network: Nintendo has begun a slow rollout of Nintendo Network (Wii U and 3DS) server shutdowns UPDATE: Most reported issues are resolved

Just saw this notification from the Pretendo server, oof.

I don't have any real plans to try out new games online before the shutdown, but this is of course too bad...

Still need to try the Kid Icarus Uprising online before it shuts down

Also want to try to trade for a few special Pokemon from the 3DS games

Hopefully we can make our own servers to keep online up for some games. I still want to go back to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Damn, guess I'll have to fit in a few more games on Pikmin 3 Bingo Battle online before it's gone.

Bingo Battle online...? huh?

So does this mean if we haven’t already set up a new account for pretendo then we are fucked?

I had interpreted this as unrelated to Pretendo but maybe a difficulty for their continued work before the shutdown, it doesn't seem like it makes sense they would be relying on Nintendo's servers in any way for their long-term solution?

Bingo Battle online...? huh?

I had interpreted this as unrelated to Pretendo but maybe a difficulty for their continued work before the shutdown, it doesn't seem like it makes sense they would be relying on Nintendo's servers in any way for their long-term solution?
I would assume that too but I know part of making a pretendo account is making a new account and I wasn’t 100% sure how that worked. Unfortunately very far away from my Wii U cause of vacation but will try to set it up when I get home to be safe.

I don't really understand what this means (and I'm not entirely sure what Pretendo is, even though I've heard about it).
Does this mean purchased software from the 3DS and Wii U library will become completely unavailable even for redownload?

I don't really understand what this means (and I'm not entirely sure what Pretendo is, even though I've heard about it).
Does this mean purchased software from the 3DS and Wii U library will become completely unavailable even for redownload?

As far as I can work out, it only has to do with the online functions of games on 3DS, and Wii U. So playing games online for example are being shut down on those systems.

Nintendo has announced that the shut down is only for online play and that digital purchases will still be downloadable in the future. The question remains, how long do they remain downloadable, since they will eventually pull the plug on that as well.

Nintendo has announced that the shut down is only for online play and that digital purchases will still be downloadable in the future. The question remains, how long do they remain downloadable, since they will eventually pull the plug on that as well.
For context, as far as I'm aware, redownloads remain available on DSi and Wii to this day.

For context, as far as I'm aware, redownloads remain available on DSi and Wii to this day.
Correct, but there was a short period where this wasn't possible, but that was fixed after a while.

Wait, I can still redownload my WiiU games?
Yes, it was just the ability to purchase new games which was removed. The ability to redownload already purchased games was never removed, as stated above, Wii and DSi games are also still available for redownloads.

Yeah, I am currently busy finishing some older Pokemon games. Hopefully I will be on time before they close the servers :D.

Correct, but there was a short period where this wasn't possible, but that was fixed after a while.

Yes, it was just the ability to purchase new games which was removed. The ability to redownload already purchased games was never removed, as stated above, Wii and DSi games are also still available for redownloads.
Well that alleviates a good deal of depression I was feeling in regards to my WiiU after I repurposed an external hardrive to my XBox. I appreciate the response, thank you.

"With that said, some outlets did a less than stellar job at reporting our last post, not covering some topics fully or accurately."

Could someone elaborate on this? I'm guessing this is referring to something specific.

"With that said, some outlets did a less than stellar job at reporting our last post, not covering some topics fully or accurately."

Could someone elaborate on this? I'm guessing this is referring to something specific.

Probably YouTubers going “Nintendo is shutting down WiiU online play early (FOREVER): Switch 2 confirmed for March?”

This really is a situation that YouTubers would ring alarm bells on for clicks. Its shouldn't come as too much of a shock that Nintendo isn't prioritizing some of these server issues given the pending online play shutdown in a few months. The NNID online is basically duct tape and twine on the back end at this stage.

This really is a situation that YouTubers would ring alarm bells on for clicks. Its shouldn't come as too much of a shock that Nintendo isn't prioritizing some of these server issues given the pending online play shutdown in a few months. The NNID online is basically duct tape and twine on the back end at this stage.

The only thing that prevents stupidity like that is by voting with your wallet clicks.

this tracks with Nintendo’s usual maintenance work. remember when Mario Kart 7 randomly got an update last year to patch an exploit? I also remember the Wii Shop Channel going down back and up long after the ability to purchase content was disabled.

the only current exception is the Mario Maker 1 servers, which I get the vibe that Nintendo sees 2 as a complete replacement to that game.

Back
Top Bottom