• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Pokémon Versions: Make your Choices!

ONLY PICK ONE PER GENERATION

• Total voters

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
Just curious! Which of each paired versions do you prefer?

Please only pick 1 per generation.

My choices are:

Blue
Gold
Ruby
Diamond
Black
X
Moon
Shield
Scarlet

Aw hell yeah now this is my kinda thread

Red - my favorite color
Silver - Lugia looks cooler than Ho-oh to me
Ruby - I like red
Diamond - I think both legendaries look overdesigned but Palkia looks like an outright mess, so Dialga it is
White - Zekrom has a jet engine for a tail, soooo
X - The horizontal axis is more relevant to me than the vertical
Moon - Night owls unite
Sword - cuz my brother got Shield
Scarlet - I like red

LIST WAAAAAAAARS

Blue
Silver
Sapphire
Diamond
White / White 2
Y
Moon
Sword
Scarlet

The ‘first’ one of each. When you say them out loud, which one comes first!

Red
Gold
Ruby
Diamond
Black
X
Sun
Sword
Scarlet

They're all the same to me, so for these first ones I'm going with the box legendary I like the most...

Blue
Gold
Sapphire
Diamond
White
X
Moon

Then I'm going with Sword because I've put hundreds of hours into that, and Scarlet because that's the only one of those two I have.

Blue
Silver
Ruby
White
X
Sun
Shield

For the others I haven't played either version, I'd probably go:

Diamond
Violet

I select the alternate versions per generation, starting from Blue.

Blue
Gold
Sapphire
Diamond
White
X
Moon
Sword
Violet

Thank you for reading.

At the time they came out I chose:
Diamond
Black
Y
Sun
Shield
Violet

Most of the time I pick based purely on legendaries, but I remember specifically choosing Shield because of the version exclusive gym leaders.

It looks like I'm perfectly balanced: 3 first versions and 3 second versions.

I also wonder why Diamond is so much more popular than Pearl 🤔

Blue - idk I prefer the color

Gold - Ho-Oh is one of my favorite legendaries

Sapphire - Kyogre > Groudon

Diamond - eh just vibes of the name for this one

White - Zekrom >>> Reshiram

Y - Yveltal > Xerneas

Moon - Nightime and moon aesthetics are just cooler to me than bright, sun aesthetics

Sword - Swords have been cool since the beginning of time and are infinitely cooler than shields in most instances

Violet - future > past and purple uniforms > orange uniforms

Wow now I really want to understand the psychology that's putting Pearl so behind lol. Because it's pink? Is Palkia really that much uglier than Dialga? I'm skeptical to believe it's some utilitarian reason like better exclusive Pokemon.

Wow now I really want to understand the psychology that's putting Pearl so behind lol. Because it's pink? Is Palkia really that much uglier than Dialga? I'm skeptical to believe it's some utilitarian reason like better exclusive Pokemon.

I mean Pearl ... Pearl's just such a gremlin. Sassy, bratty ... you know. You just gotta like the other one, you know?

Oh hold up, this is about Pokemon, not Splatoon ... my bad.

Yeah, Dialga looks cooler.

Red
Gold
Ruby
Diamond
Black
X
Sun
Sword
Scarlet
This. Plus FireRed, HeartGold, Black 2, Omega Ruby, Ultra Sun, Let’s Go: Pikachu!, and Brilliant Diamond as well. Always the primary version. It also works well with my partner who has generally always preferred the secondary versions, so we never have to worry about figuring out which version we’re each getting.

A lot of these are no-brainers.

Red (Charizard)
Silver (Lugia)
Ruby (Groudon)
Pearl (Palkia)
White (Zekrom)
Y (Yveltal)
Sun (normal time)
Shield (red color)
Scarlet (past mons are cooler)

Generally you gotta pick the cooler Pokémon on the box, that's why silver is the easiest choice here despite gold being my favorite color. But if they both kind of stink you pick the warmed color.

Blue
Silver (actually Crystal)
Saphire (actually Emerald)
Diamond (actually Platinum, which is the only one I played)
White
Y
Sun
Sword
Scarlet

My biggest regret in Pokémon history is buying Violet instead just because Koraidon running looked dumb. I'm obsessed with dinosaurs, the choice was so painfully obvious and still I fucked it up.

These were my choices and I still have all but one of these (My copy of Black is missing):

1. Red
2. Silver (got all versions)
3. Sapphire (got all versions)
4. Diamond (got all versions)
5. Black
6. X (got Y)
7. Sun (got Ultra Sun)
8. Shield
9. Scarlet

I’ll shake things up and give my original picks instead of my current choices:

Blue - IDR, but I think it was blue cause I had Fire Red? I never really played gen 1 beyond the first bit, so I cant say.

Gold - I’d prefer silver now because of the silver cart, but I got Gold as a kid cause it was the one available.

Sapphire - I love Kyogre, got both games at once cause I got Emerald first. I did pick Alpha Sapphire when the remakes eventually came out.

Diamond - Liked Dialga way more as a child, but what really sold me as a kid was Tyrannitar and Scizor available. Nowadays I’d go Pearl for Palkia and Purugly.

White - I liked Lilligant more than Whimsicott at the time, same with Zekrom. What really sold me was White Forest having catchable pokemon. Made Black not as inticing.

Y - Tyrannitar does it again, Skrelp was really cool evolving into a Poison/Dragon, and also I liked Yveltal a lot more. Still is my preferred version. I do like Zard X more though.

Sun - I played Moon first because it was the first one available, but I always intended on Sun (and still prefer it) because of Buzzwole, Kartana, Turtunator, and Solgaleo. Kartana is still one of my favorites.

Shield - Only got because nobody I knew was getting Shield at all, and I wanted to complete the dex in a realistic time lol. Sword is my absolutely more preferred cause of Sirfetch’d and Zacian.

Violet - Purple is my favorite color, that is literally it. I prefer Scarlet now because the future paradoxes were super disappointing outside of Delibird and the Gardevoir/Gallade/Kirlia combo.

Blue (Technically Leafgreen but whatever)
Gold
Sapphire
Diamond
Black
X
Moon
Shield
Violet

I skipped a couple of generations, but I've gone with...

Red
Gold
Ruby
Pearl
Y
Shield
Scarlet

Lately I've been trying to go with what seems like the least popular version, since it tends to be easier to trade that way (so Shield, Scarlet, Pearl, etc.)

#GiveUsTheThirdVersions

1. Never played the originals, played both Fire Red and Leaf Green. So...Red?
2. Played Soul Silver. Silver
3. Played Emerald, then Alpha Sapphire. Sapphire
4. I stand with the like 10 other people who've played Pearl
5. I legitimately can't remember but I think Black?
6. X, I liked the deer
7. Sun, I liked the lion
8. Sword, because Sif
9. Scarlet because I liked the ancient Paradoxes more

Red
Silver
Sapphire
Diamond
Black
X
Moon

didn't buy the others.

Fun fact: i wanted Blue at the time, but my parents bought me Red because it was the only version available when they went to the store. I like Red more now and ended up buying Fire Red too when the remakes dropped.

Usually the first version of each gen except Gen 6 where I picked Y, so the list are:
  1. Red
  2. Gold
  3. Ruby
  4. Diamond
  5. Black
  6. Y
  7. Sun
  8. Sword
  9. Scarlet

You are, Diamond aside, the complete opposite from me
Every Kiryu must have his Majima

tumblr_p9nl8yzW6Q1qdolljo1_500.png

I generally go for the 'blue' versions:

Blue
Silver
Sapphire
Diamond
Black
X
Moon
Sword
Violet

Here are mine :)
  1. Red (though Yellow is more honest, in terms of which version I played the most)
  2. Gold
  3. Ruby
  4. Diamond
  5. White
  6. X
  7. Moon
  8. Sword
  9. Violet

My secret is that I actually played Black 1 and White 2 because I wanted to use Electivire on my team in the second one and it was exclusive to White 2.

The Unova Link feature that transfers data from the first game actually works regardless of which version you started with, though I guess in the process I retconned my original protagonist as having had Zekrom instead.

Red
Gold
Ruby
Diamond
Black
X
Sun
Sword
Scarlet
Same. With my one exception being the Let's Go games, since Eevee is my favourite Pokémon.

White 1 and 2 and Scarlet are the only games where my purchasing decision deviated from my aesthetic preference for box legendary or version exclusive reasons. Otherwise the list goes Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Diamond, Black, X, Moon, Shield, Violet.

Blue - wanted Red for Christmas because it was my favourite colour, got given Blue so I picked Squirtle as my first starter Pokémon so now I have attachment to Blue

Silver - Lugia is my favourite Pokémon ever so there was only one winner here

Ruby - got both for Christmas the same year but picked Ruby to play first because of red being my favourite colour and Groudon looking cooler

Diamond - I think this mostly me just picking the first version in the pairing name

White - Zekrom is just cooler

Y - Same as White but with Yveltal, especially that black and red colour scheme

Sun - Another legendary pick, I liked how Solgaleo reminded me of SaberLeomon from Digimon

Sword - Zacian has a sword in its mouth, that's kinda silly but also cool

Scarlet - this was a tough one, I think I settled on Scarlet because everyone else was going for Violet and it was the red version

Dialga is cool, Palkia isn't. I think that's most of it.

They're also nearly 20-year old games, and with only anecdotal evidence I feel like kids viewed Pearl's color scheme (and actual pearls themselves) as more feminine-coded; and while Pokemon itself is welcoming to everyone, it wasn't immune to video games' skew towards boys as a whole. I'd be curious to see if there was a significant difference between Diamond/Pearl sales splits from 2006 and BDSP from two years ago as times have changed dramatically or if I'm just off my rocker (very possible!), but I don't think we'll ever see that data.

Blue
Silver
Sapphire
Diamond
None because I was a victim of mischief and got both my gen 5 games stolen and never finished them.
X
Moon
Shield
Violet

Red (prefer Charizard)

Silver (prefer Lugia)

Sapphire (prefer Kyogre and also Team Aqua)

Pearl (prefer Palkia and we also get Mismagius)

White (prefer Zekrom and White Forest)

X (prefer Xerneas)

Sun (inverting the day and night cycle in Moon was a terrible idea)

Shield (Zacian is a silly design, also Shield has better exclusive gyms and other content)

Violet (better professor with a much less silly outfit, better colour for uniforms. I also like the future paradox forms more consistently though they are kind of samey)

Not going to list everything but it seems I had the least popular version every generation from the poll except for Scarlet which seems to be quite a lot more popular on here.

• Red: I was a charizard boy
  • Silver: Lugia >>>>>>> Ho-oh
  • Rubi: Groudon so cool
  • Diamond: the less ugly
  • Black: Reshiram 🔥
  • Y: Yveltal the king
  • Sun: finally a legendary Lion
  • Shield: because red
  • Scarlet: past paradox it’s something I’ve always wanted

It's all about the mon on the Box

Except for when my friends called pokemon Y and so I got X

1) Red - my favourite colour

2) Silver - Lugia is really cool and I’m biased since I had SoulSilver as a kid

3) Ruby - I’ve always preferred Groudon although I’m starting to lean more and more toward Kyogre these days…

4) Diamond - Diamonds are way cooler than pearls. Enough said. This is like choosing between Obsidian and Dirt. Ok that was a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point

5) Black (& Black 2) - I just think, as a shade, black is so much cooler than white. It stung to get Reshiram in Black, but getting Black Kyurem in Black 2 remedies this

6) X - This sounds ridiculous but X is just a cooler letter than Y. I’m sorry I know that makes me sound like Elon Musk but there’s no contest here lmao. Plus I just think Xerneas is a much better Legendary.

7) Moon - I just like the nighttime vibes better, so I picked this one up since I knew I’d mostly be playing in IRL daytime, so I’d get the night experience in-game. I think this generation has the best Legendaries overall and I love them both so that doesn’t make a difference here.

8) Sword - Swords are just so much cooler than shields. I used to work at GameStop when this came out, and the difference in sales between the two was staggering. We always had Shield with plenty of stock, but Sword was constantly selling.

9) Scarlet - I picked Violet since I wanted to try something other than red, and I loved the rumors of a futuristic theme. Now that the games are out, I take the defiant L, and admit that the Past Paradox Pokémon are WAAAY cooler than the stupid robot Future Paradox Pokémon. The only upside to Violet is Miraidon

I specifically remember being told on release day I could only pick one version, and I chose Pearl. Now this thread has me questioning the psychology behind a decision I made when I was like 8.

I don't think I ever actually liked the box legends, I distinctly remember looking at those two and wondering what it would even look like if they moved because they were so far removed from looking like functional creatures. Maybe I just liked the warmer colors on the box better...

Red, even though blue had better exclusives, (I didn't know persian and ninetails were better in gen 1!), if we had green, I'd have picked that, Bulbasaur-chads always win.
Silver, even though gold had better exclusives (and now Growlithe is better! come on now, skarmory and donphan are cool though).
Sapphire, but I kind of prefer Groudon now, just has more impression than "whale". Lotad my beloved. No Zangoose though.
Fire red, cause edgy red boy. I'd choose green these days but fire red has better exclusives generally.
Diamond,
Black, because Reshiram is cooler. Despite having worse exclusives.
Black 2, because sequel
X because Rave Deer looks cool.
Either Sun or Moon, the day:night think was an interesting consideration.
Shield, but both doggo's aren't very good.
Scarlet, unga bunga > chrome. (The biggest version differences in the series right? apart from maybe white tree hollow being good). Koraidon is also the better ride pokemon (my goofy inflatable chest wheel puppy).

Much as I'm devoted to blue versions, I can't help but be envious of the cool designs the Scarlet paradoxes got while the Violet ones are just boop, robot.

Though I will always stan non-binary sovereign Iron Valiant.

Back
Top Bottom