• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation Playstation 5 receiving downloadable PS1/PS2/PSP games as part of a new Playstation Plus tier

This is a hard pass. Of the three services--online, ps4/ps5 subscription ("ps now"), and ps classics, only classics interest me. I really really like the idea of being able to play classics PS games, but $120 sounds like too much. And if there PS2 for PS4 games is any indication, I wonder how extensive the library would be. Do we get niche hard-to-find series like Xenosaga and Shadow Hearts, or just mainstream hit like Ratchet and Clank or Bully, and why do I feel the latter?

PSOne Classics on PS3 were also badly upscaled and blurry (and feature starved; no save state, suspend state, button config, upres, etc, etc),
For the time, it was pretty high quality. and the fact you could still use your original disks is an important feature to this day.
The PSP equivalent was especially wild, just the fact a handheld from 2004 could run PS1 games fairly accurately (albeit with the obvious disadvantage of not being able to use disks.) is utterly mind blowing.

the title isn't even accurate, as i think the games are also coming to ps4, and some ps2 games were already available on ps4/ps5.
Eh, the wording on the post doesn't really specify if it's on both platforms, and it looks to be a separate thing from those original "PS2 Classics" on PS4. That only got about 54 games before it was completely dropped.
I'd also imagine at the very least they'll upgrade the PS2 emulator to run natively on PS5. I've heard there's some severe glitches in some games caused by running it through the backwards compatibility layer.
You joke, but PS2 trash > SNES trash

(Dog's Life Ending)

Imagine playing this on a PS5
Funnily enough, i actually know someone who's been meticulously documenting everything relating to this game. He's a pretty cool dude.

Would it be possible for Sony to re-release it? Maybe, the only real obstacle is the fact the game features real-life dog food brands in it. The development team still exists to this day.

You joke, but PS2 trash > SNES trash

Imagine playing this on a PS5

This one would have been better if it starred a cat

Anyway hoping to see this PSX classic show up on the service

Irritating_Stick_cover.jpg

For the time, it was pretty high quality. and the fact you could still use your original disks is an important feature to this day.
The PSP equivalent was especially wild, just the fact a handheld from 2004 could run PS1 games fairly accurately (albeit with the obvious disadvantage of not being able to use disks.) is utterly mind blowing.
I mean, even for the time PS1 on PS3 was just passable really. Disc compatibility was great but it was still feature starved, added noticeable input delay and rendered original low resolution with messy scaling. Even Wii VC did more than that.

PSP was a different ball game though and might still be my favorite way to play PS1. Yes it's just as feature starved but the low res display makes the games scale a lot better imo and there's minimal added lag. Also the reason PS1 runs so well on PSP is that it's not full emulation, there's actually a native compatibility layer for CPU calls, only the PS1 "GPU"/rasterizer is emulated. PSP's not really powerful enough to fully emulate PS1, even if it were overclocked.

Official rollout dates for the new tiers
I nearly forgot to post this.
Update: We’re making fantastic progress with our launch efforts and I wanted to update you on the latest. We’re rolling out our new offering for PlayStation Plus a little earlier in select markets in Asia, followed by Japan. Here is a look at our updated regional rollout schedule.

• Asia markets (excluding Japan) – targeting May 23, 2022
  • Japan – targeting June 1, 2022
  • Americas – targeting June 13, 2022
  • Europe – targeting June 22, 2022
Additionally, we’re also expanding our cloud streaming access to the following locations for a total of 30 markets with cloud streaming access**. The following markets will also offer the Premium tier from PlayStation Plus at launch: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia.
The Korean ratings board also leaked the first titles confirmed for the tier, but that deserves it's own thread.

Edit: I feel like this was to be expected, but it's also worth noting that there will be a discounted upgrade process if you're going from the old sub to one of the new tiers.
playstation-plus-tier-upgrade.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 accounts, one USA (My main) and one from Mexico (The one i use for purchases) this one is the one with PS PLUS. If I upgrade my Plus account i will be able to play de PS1 games on my US account?

Sounds like the US is getting NTSC and not PAL versions, which is very nice to see (source).

Wish they were all outright purchasable though. I’d gladly pick up RE and Mr. Driller for $10 a pop to have in perpetuity (or at least the PS5’s lifespan). Even weirder it seems they made Ape Escape 2 subscription only when it was purchasable before, I’d have grabbed it earlier if I knew that could happen…

I went with the Premium plan for the rest of the year. Might as well, I suppose. I'm interested to see which of my Vita PS1/PSP purchases I'll be able to download and if that will determine whether or not I continue on at this level next year.

Sony want people buying their over-priced subscription service, individual pricing doesn't make sense.
Actually i just checked and i found the pleasant suprise that not only some of the games can be bought without upgrading but also i could download Wild Arms which i got on PS3, this rules , I was not aware of this feature, i believe Sony did a turn around on how they planned this?

I have an extensive list of PS1 games that i bought on PS3, hopefully most of them can carry over and with trophies!!

The PS1/PSP selection is small, but it's so interesting. Echochrome is a weird little perspective puzzler that I'd never have even known about without this service. Jumping Flash, Intelligent Qube, Ape Escape...there are some good, different games in here.

They just need to keep adding stuff. I never owned a PSP, and while I do have a Vita, I haven't bought half of the available PSP games on the store (and some needed to be transferred via PS3, unfortunately, which I never had). I'd love to see as many PSP games make it to this service as possible.

Back
Top Bottom