• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Play Through the History of Kemco Games with the Kemco: 50 RPGs Celebratory Bundle for xbox one/ xbox series x/s

Kemco RPGs aren’t exactly high quality, and yoh shouldn’t expect them to be at the rate they pump them out, but they’re perfectly adequate junk food games, occasionally displaying a spark of inspiration.

Two questions though: 1) how much is it and 2) will you be offering the bundle on Switch?

The bundle will be available for 50 days.

Artificial scarcity is one thing that will never go away!

Uhh Kemco has 50 RPGs?
They actually have more, this bundle is just for reaching 50 titles ON the xbox

Don't know how good any of them are but 50 RPGs at least sounds like you'll be getting 1 heck of a game-length to dollar ratio.

Gonna quote myself from the rpg thread: They are passable,and are good if you want to pass some time.
I think it's good they still commit to their strategy of short games, and that sometimes they get unjustified bad rep. Yes their games aren't ground breaking but aren't bad either, and at least since the past year they've really start to get more creative (like the zombie rpg) or more polished games (like cross tails). I've tried 2 of their games on mobile a few years ago in a trip and they were good for quick sessions.

Also in how many RPGs you can say your waifu is a wall?

DUl7Uki.jpg

hHjs24E.jpg

50 is such a crazy number

the only thing i've ever played from Kemco was Raging Loop which isn't an RPG(which was really good for the majority of it but fell apart in the last quarter or whatever it was)

just to reiterate, yes, they have forty nine different RPGs on Xbox One alone.

definitely feels like a wasted opportunity to do a collection just for them, though. as before they became known for this, they published a ton of classic titles all the way back in the NES era.
For those who don’t know, Kemco began in 1984 with the founding of its predecessor, Kotobuki System Co., Ltd. Early on, the company developed and published game software, focusing on porting PC games in the ’80s and ’90s like Spy vs Spy, Shadowgate, Drakkhen, as well as original RPGs Indra no Hikari and Sanada Juyushi.
they don't really own the rights to much of that stuff now (Shadowgate is Zojoi, and Drakkhen is Atari.) but it still would have been worth digging around to see what they could re-acquire.

Personally, if I see an RPG that seems interesting on the digital stores, like an old school, pixel art retro game , I made a habit to go the game's info and if I see "Kemco" I run far far away from it.

I couldn’t find a full list of the games. 🤷‍♀️

I have a few old Kemco games. Top Gear Pocket is on a GBC rumble cartridge. Daikatana on GBC is legit (text heavy though). I had to snag a PAL copy since it never released here. It’d be nice if more people got to experience it.

People should really click the link in the OP for a pretty good insightfull interview. Here a sample:
Cooperating with multiple developers to create a system capable of releasing RPGs every month, Kemco releases around 10 new games a year. How many development lines do you have?

Matteo: In the past, we have released many games for feature phones and smartphones. From then, we have continued to work with several development companies. Since we have been working with them on RPGs for a long time, it made it possible to shift and adopt tools that have evolved over the years to develop and port games more efficiently. In general, development time is short; from six months to a year, and we have multiple development lines to release one game almost every month.

Masaomi: This is something I always think about, but when other companies release a new title, their next move would often be to continue supporting the game for a year or more after its release with DLCs, major updates, and so on. Here at Kemco, such DLCs and updates come in the form of “new games”. Our approach is to keep publishing new titles, as if they were additions to a single game experience that players recognize as Kemco. This is the backbone to our reasoning of releasing a new game every month as much as possible.

Reported to the mods, the thread title/offer is clearly a threat and is against the ToS.

I'm kidding, I'm sure some of these Kemco rpgs are fine. There's plenty of great games that started in rpg maker no reason to sweepingly say they're all bad. Most of them are probably bad though.

There are 49 results.

I don’t have an Xbox so I won’t be partaking in this bundle. I was just curious because the link in the OP didn’t include the full list. How was that not the first thing the article writer thought people would inquire about when they mentioned a bundle of games?
My guess is they are publishing the 50th game in august. The games on the link are all of kemco games so I guess they didn't need to ask

Why is everybody so negative???? The games are made by a big variety of developers, which people would know IF they would click the link in the OP, but without playing them people brush this allready off as a collection of bad games? This REALLY is why we can't have nice things, jeez....

Be glad Kemco offers developers to have their titles shine as an official release on Xbox. There are probably loads of developers in this collection dreaming of a more stable position in the game industry with their own games, and now their game can shine in a collection readily available worldwide. This is great all around but people just keep shitting on this? I really don't understand that.

Here, a recommendation of some titles to check out first:

What are the games that best capture the feel of the 50 titles in the bundle? Do you have a recommendation on where to start?

Matteo: While it’s very difficult to choose just one, we have chosen one title from each of the developers who have cooperated with us, which would be great entry points to learn their style.

First up is Overrogue from Exe Create Inc., which is a deck-building roguelite RPG that continues to receive a positive response from launch. Exe Create also produces many other titles such as the Asdivine series, but we think that Overrogue would be a great place to start.

03_Overrogue-63474e976472555b46d7.jpg
Overrogue
Matteo: Next is Hit-Point Co.,Ltd. — which just recently released Raging Bytes, a title planned, drafted, and supervised by Jiro Ishii. While Raging Bytes is not included in the bundle, we recommend Gale of Windoria, a classical fantasy RPG that comes to life with the beautiful pixel art that Hit-Point is very well known for. Those who love pixel art from the 16-bit console era will surely enjoy it.

04_Gale-of-Windoria-9371e450a03f961dfe84.png
Gale of Windoria
Matteo: World Wide Software’s Legend of Ixtona is a quarter-view simulation RPG. The graphics of the characters in this game are very beautifully drawn and are definitely worthy of your attention.

05_Legend-of-Ixtona-99c0bea5c1bdaf0555c6.jpg
Legend of Ixtona
Matteo: In Rideon’s Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom, you play an active role as an adventurer while managing a blacksmith’s shop. It’s a unique RPG, fusing together many systems, including a combat and exploration system. It’s one of the highly acclaimed titles.

06_Blacksmith-of-the-Sand-Kingdom-f0c56798ac245e913c28.png
Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom
Matteo: Asobox Co., Ltd.’s The Smile Alchemist is, as it looks, very relaxing and comforting, and is more of a simulation game than an RPG. It is a game filled with the fun of nurturing, collecting, and alchemy, which are the themes of the game.

07_The-Smile-Alchemist-9ec4f74f02aeece9050c.png
The Smile Alchemist
Matteo: ArcticNet’s RPGolf Legends is a unique title that successfully combines golfing and the essences of RPGs. This title also received a very strong response.

08_RPGolf-Legends-da8baa56e2592d056761.png
RPGolf Legends
Matteo: These games above are the distinctive titles that showcase each developer’s unique characteristics. If you are not sure which one to play from the Kemco: 50 RPGs Celebratory Bundle, we recommend checking out these titles first.

Why is everybody so negative???? The games are made by a big variety of developers, which people would know IF they would click the link in the OP, but without playing them people brush this allready off as a collection of bad games? This REALLY is why we can't have nice things, jeez....

Be glad Kemco offers developers to have their titles shine as an official release on Xbox. There are probably loads of developers in this collection dreaming of a more stable position in the game industry with their own games, and now their game can shine in a collection readily available worldwide. This is great all around but people just keep shitting on this? I really don't understand that.

Here, a recommendation of some titles to check out first:
Yeah, that's why I mentioned they got a bad reputation but nowadays it's not justified.
And just to be fair, they did have bad games when they started publishing games on mobile, filled with microtransactions and balanced so you had to buy their boosters. These are the games most people remember when they mention kemco bad reputation, but since they started to port their games to console and expand their developer partners that changed.

IMO this is how I would score their dev lines
  • EXEcreate: They have developed like 80% of Kemco library. Most of their titles after 2020 are decent, but quality varies a lot the further you go back. OverRogue being a solid 8 for me
  • Hit-point: They actually care about the systems they put in their games. Windoria being the best, and recently Raging bytes which is a nice spin on making a zombie apocalypse rpg
  • RideOn: They have more experience on SRPG and also have their own line of games wih the Mercenaries games. Both of their games Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom and recently Cross Tails are also decent (but simple) option to pass time
  • Articnet and Asobox: each of them only have one game, and both of them are decent too. They also add some unique mechanics to have more variety than the usual fantasy game.

I think this has a Switch release, definitely something I’d try out on a sale. I’m a sucker for zombie stuff.
Yes Raging Bytes is on switch (IIRC 99% of kemco console ports are on everything, some of the older stuff before the switch are the only things missing).

Last edited:
So basically they've become the Blast / Data Design Interactive of RPGs.

I realy liked the N64 era of Kemco. They published some good games back then.

how the fuck a 140 man company can release 19 games in the same year ?
It's actually explained in the article, but TL;DR they have multiple devs working with them

Cooperating with multiple developers to create a system capable of releasing RPGs every month, Kemco releases around 10 new games a year. How many development lines do you have?

Matteo: In the past, we have released many games for feature phones and smartphones. From then, we have continued to work with several development companies. Since we have been working with them on RPGs for a long time, it made it possible to shift and adopt tools that have evolved over the years to develop and port games more efficiently. In general, development time is short; from six months to a year, and we have multiple development lines to release one game almost every month.

Masaomi: This is something I always think about, but when other companies release a new title, their next move would often be to continue supporting the game for a year or more after its release with DLCs, major updates, and so on. Here at Kemco, such DLCs and updates come in the form of “new games”. Our approach is to keep publishing new titles, as if they were additions to a single game experience that players recognize as Kemco. This is the backbone to our reasoning of releasing a new game every month as much as possible.

It's out in US and it's actually 200 USD

Yeesh, I know it's 50 games, but still that's steep as fuck for the games, even if they're better lately than what Kemco's put out before.
Even at $5 per game still would be $250

I guess that’s great for anyone wanting to inflate their digital libraries. But I’d rather pinpoint the stuff I’m actually likely to play and pay piecemeal.

You can't go wrong with the games recommended in the xbox post. I would say all of those are solid 7-8 and are def at the top of each developer

You can't go wrong with the games recommended in the xbox post. I would say all of those are solid 7-8 and are def at the top of each developer
Hmm I have played Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom but I didn’t like it enough to finish it haha. I’ll go check out some reviews for the rest, though.

just to reiterate, yes, they have forty nine different RPGs on Xbox One alone.

definitely feels like a wasted opportunity to do a collection just for them, though. as before they became known for this, they published a ton of classic titles all the way back in the NES era.

they don't really own the rights to much of that stuff now (Shadowgate is Zojoi, and Drakkhen is Atari.) but it still would have been worth digging around to see what they could re-acquire.
Shall I just go ahead & assume they're all made in RPG Maker?

Back
Top Bottom