• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Platinum’s CEO says he wouldn’t dismiss acquisition offers ‘as long as our freedom is respected’

ImpendingFoil

Rattata
Pronouns
He/Him

Between this and openly tweeting about wanting to work with Phil Spencer last week it seems as if Platinum is in need of new projects and funding. I do not think they have the clout to get a Bungie type deal but I think their ability could really create some fantastic partnerships. I think a huge problem for them being acquired though is that they really don’t own any exciting and big IP. Outside of Wonderful 101 all their projects are either licensed or owned by someone like Nintendo, Sega, and Square-Enix.

I know that Nintendo lets Monolith kind of do their own thing, perhaps Platinum could get a similar kind of deal with a large publisher. I’m just hoping that they are in a strong enough position past Bayonetta 3. Maybe Babylon’s Fall will turn out better then expected.

Anyone have any thoughts on a Platinum acquisition?

This and other recent quotes really makes it seem like they are fishing for a buyout. It feels like they're basically always on the brink of collapse. But like you said, they don't really possess anything of worth outside of their talent. Someone like Nintendo would probably rather poach their employees than purchase them outright, unless they're given a really good offer and Platinum would otherwise get bought out by another platform holder

This is one of those that I actually would want Nintendo to go for an acquisition since of course PG is looking to sell. They bring many exclusives to Switch and overall work well with the company. Microsoft buying would be a big loss I feel.

Nintendo should make a move. For the first time this is an actual partner of theirs. Platinum has no significant IP’s to their name. It’s about growth for Nintendo. They make games like Bayonetta, which Nintendo doesn’t make anything like. Of course this is with Sega’s permission. Astral Chain is made by Platinum.

Astral Chain was the only IP from Platinum except Bayonetta and Nier automata to sell more than 1 million copies. Almost all the games they made for Nintendo were close to perfect in their genre. They helped on Starfox Zero too. To me, Nintendo is the perfect candidate if they had to.

Platinum is always praising Nintendo in their interview when it comes to let them make the game they want. Their freedom is always respected under Nintendo.

I’ve actually been expecting PGs to be acquired.

Plus I absolutely do not see Babylon Falls succeeding. It has no engagement and no one seems to know it’s coming out. And it being a live service game just a money sink if it fails. Which might be really bad on their end.

Can it do well? Yeah of course. Right now I’m just not seeing it.

I think that if Platinum gets acquired at some point, it won't be by a platform holder. I think they'll want to retain the ability to choose what platforms their projects release on and collaborate with whoever they want. I find it doubtful that they'd be able to get a similar deal that Bungie got from Sony.

So here's hoping that neither Nintendo, Microsoft, nor Sony pick them up!

So here's hoping that neither Nintendo, Microsoft, nor Sony pick them up!

I would imagine that not just platform holders would possibly be interested, so possible acquisitions could include Square, Sega, or something truly crazy like EA. I doubt someone like Embracer or even Tencent would be interested in a complete acquisition as there is just no IP included in the deal.

I also don’t think they have ever really had much choice what platforms their games appear on because the majority of their work has been based on projects tied to large publishers.

Honestly, Platinum isnt actually a good developer at all.

Sure. They make some good games, but honestly they have had more misses than hits. I don't think they have enough talent or prestige to really hang in there like that.

Maybe with right leadership, they could turn the tide. Honestly their Nintendo partnerships seem to work out the best. However, for every Bayonetta or Nier, they have even more stinkers like Korra, Wonderful 101, or even canceled games like Scalebound.

The fact that they seem to always be close to financial ruin really demonstrates that.

I would imagine that not just platform holders would possibly be interested, so possible acquisitions could include Square, Sega, or something truly crazy like EA. I doubt someone like Embracer or even Tencent would be interested in a complete acquisition as there is just no IP included in the deal.

I also don’t think they have ever really had much choice what platforms their games appear on because the majority of their work has been based on projects tied to large publishers.

That is true, but I think they would like to be able to choose what platforms to release games on, like with their recent attempts at self-publishing.

If they do get acquired, I could see it being by one of those larger third party studios, as you've said. I wouldn't entirely rule out Tencent either. They were interested enough to make a large investment in them.

The ideal scenario is that Platinum is able to become financially stable without being bought out, but that may not be possible. We'll see how it pans out.

I honestly do feel like Platinum could do good work under Nintendo - they're talented devs but seemingly not particularly well managed, which Nintendo can help with. They've also got an existing, presumably good relationship with the company, and have been brought in to help on projects before.

More over, I think Nintendo, unlike the others, still put more value on the workforce they'd acquire over the IPs that'd come with. Nintendo has a replete catalogue already, which is good, because you'd basically get nothing of value IP-wise acquiring Platinum.

Of the many companies that get bandied about to get scooped up by the big N, this is one I feel like, in theory, is not senseless.

Having said that, never bet on a Nintendo acquisition. Even in situations like with NLG. It's not Nintendo's MO, even at the best of times the games Platinum has made for them have only been moderate successes commercially (unlike NLG), and it's possible all Nintendo really wanted out of them was the Astral Chain IP, and whatever they own under the Bayo IP.

It's not impossible Nintendo grabs them, but I'd have to put the odds elsewhere. It does very much seem like they're fishing for buyers now though.

I wonder if Square Enix would see potential in basically turning them into Neir and support studio like Monolithsoft is for Xenoblade.
I could see Square wanting them for NieR (or just hiring away Taura as an action game director for them, since he went over to consult on NieR Replicant for them) - Platform holders are all possible (Nintendo etc... but they might lose some of their freedom to make non Switch games), Tencent definitely not unlikely

However, for every Bayonetta or Nier, they have even more stinkers like Korra, Wonderful 101, or even canceled games like Scalebound.
Their only "stinkers" are their low budget licensed games. Wonderful 101 is a great game.

Sure. They make some good games, but honestly they have had more misses than hits. I don't think they have enough talent or prestige to really hang in there like that.

Maybe with right leadership, they could turn the tide. Honestly their Nintendo partnerships seem to work out the best. However, for every Bayonetta or Nier, they have even more stinkers like Korra, Wonderful 101, or even canceled games like Scalebound.

The fact that they seem to always be close to financial ruin really demonstrates that.
Whoa. 101 is for sure under appreciated.

Yeah they have missed, but they’re also largely a contract studio. The buck doesn’t end with them. It’s like Other M. Team Ninja are talented, but it’s not all their fault. The game - narrative aside - had some really good ideas that just suffered from too many cooks in the kitchen just not syncing right.

I personally am always rooting for Platinum to stay independent. They’ve made a ton of awesome games over the years. They need a solid partner or two however that will regularly back them since Platinum alone just doesn’t have the reach / expertise to market their games (putting out Sol Cresta by themselves has been a struggle for them). I feel Nintendo is probably the best for that and wouldn’t mismatch them with projects like Square is doing with Babylon’s Fall, however Nintendo did throw Platinum under the bus by making it sound like they had a bigger hand in Star Fox Zero than they did.

If they did have to get purchased, I guess Nintendo would be the best one, but I just don’t expect them to have the variety in games they do now which would be a huge loss.

One other thought, their recent output I think has been severely impacted by the pandemic, it feels like they haven’t put out anything in forever.

Edit: Looking back at the treehouse interview where they made the announcement, Miyamoto says they did colloborate with Platinum on elements and ideas for Star Fox Zero. So they did have a co-developer role. I was wrong on that front.

Edit 2: Ok I was right to an extent! See Clov’s post below for the interview. The core design was completed at Nintendo before they colloborated with Platinum to flesh out level and presentation ideas.

Last edited:

I was going to say that The Wonderful 101 being lumped in there is harsh, but I always forget just how "meh" it's reception was. It certainly wasn't terribly received, I think there's some Nintendo/Sony first party titles that have gotten similar scores and have been received as good generally, but the bad sales don't back up its quality. Truthfully though, I feel like if you talk to actual action game nerds that have played their less popular games, most of them don't see them as misses. I know that Wonderful is considered amazing by some and that the Transformers game they made is apparently actually pretty good. It's just ... you know, even within that niche, those games aren't among the most played titles.

I'm not sure I'd say that Platinum "isnt actually a good developer at all". There's evidence that they're a great developer when they aren't licensing themselves out to low budget games or being poorly managed. It's just they don't have a great track record. Case in point, they've made Bayo 2, Nier: Automata, and Astral Chain all since 2014. That's not a great number of games and considering their studio size it isn't super impressive, but if those were the only games Platinum made since 2014, they'd be seen as one of the more consistent Japanese developers. Problem is, we have shit like Babylon's Fall on the horizon.

I wonder if Square Enix would see potential in basically turning them into Neir and support studio like Monolithsoft is for Xenoblade.
That would be disappointing honestly. Nier is a series that really doesn't work to Platinum's strengths imo. People hype up the Nier Automata combat so much as a reason that game is good, but it's like a 45-65 hour game and most of it consists of mashing buttons. Them being the Nier studio would be so, so disappointing, even if I'll admit Automata is the best game they've made since Bayonetta 2. Like you could get basically any developer on the planet and make a game like Nier Automata, because so much of it's vision is just standard ARPG + Yoko Taro's weird shit, and he's not a part of Platinum.

In retrospect, it's weird that game became such a part of their heritage and studio culture. It makes sense, especially if you know it's connection to Astral Chain, but it's weird.

All those low tier licensed games would be cut out with Nintendo, which is a good thing. They can assist Nintendo on games like Monolith does and work on developing their own games. PG can make new IP’s and maybe work on Star Fox or Takamaru

Nintendo got the Astral Chain IP. What’s good with the IP if Platinum isn’t there to develop it? Nintendo can’t sit back and pray Platinum is bought by some third party who will allow them to work with Nintendo. Nintendo doesn’t know what will happen so they have to be proactive themselves in discussions.

Nintendo’s more likely to headhunt the talent than acquire Platinum outright. And Platinum’s multiplatform GAAS plans will not be interesting for Nintendo.

I can see Square or Sony going for it, but I think it’s Tencent that’s most likely to buy them out.

I honestly think Nintendo and PG are probably in talks for acquisition as far as the platform holders. Sony and MS are looking to strengthen their western efforts, so PG doesn't have much value to them. Though there's also a strong possibility that Tencent is just going acquire them due to PG's GaaS plans being more compatible with their interests.

i would prefer them to stay independent but if they need the cash i think it would be good buy for nintendo. it fills a need for more complex action games and they can even lend them some dormant ips to work on. They have a good work relationship already, i dont see why not, as long as they can keep the talent there

Though there's also a strong possibility that Tencent is just going acquire them due to PG's GaaS plans being more compatible with their interests.

This is why I see Babylon’s Fall as a deciding moment for Platinum. If the game turns out well, against what a lot of people are expecting, I could see Tencent really wanting to expand on their investment. If the game doesn’t do well either reviews, public opinion, or sales I could see Platinum in a real bind regarding their future.

Hitoshi Yamagami seems to help them a lot when they make games for Nintendo, he was the producer for both bayonetta's when they came to wii u and switch as well as Astral Chain. If anyone should take them is Nintendo. Always remember in the past Kamiya said, out of the 3 companies, Nintendo is where he would want to go.

All those low tier licensed games would be cut out with Nintendo, which is a good thing. They can assist Nintendo on games like Monolith does and work on developing their own games. PG can make new IP’s and maybe work on Star Fox or Takamaru

Nintendo got the Astral Chain IP. What’s good with the IP if Platinum isn’t there to develop it? Nintendo can’t sit back and pray Platinum is bought by some third party who will allow them to work with Nintendo. Nintendo doesn’t know what will happen so they have to be proactive themselves in discussions.
TAKAMARU MAN..........

brb-imagination.gif

I’d hope Nintendo would acquire them but I feel like they’d probably poach the employees instead and create a separate team for them than absorbing their debts etc

It would be pretty funny if Kamiya ended up at Nintendo, be it by acquisition or headhunted, because he'd be the only Nintendo developer I can think of who would be likely to tell people who annoy him to fuck off on twitter.

It would be pretty funny if Kamiya ended up at Nintendo, be it by acquisition or headhunted, because he'd be the only Nintendo developer I can think of who would be likely to tell people who annoy him to fuck off on twitter.
I'm ready for this timeline.

I see Nintendo acquiring them only if PG is ready to help out with Nintendo games on the side and the buyout itself is modest.

It's not unprobable but a Chinese company seems the most likely to me.

Nintendo is not going to buy some company that has no valuable IP where the talent can just leave.

This sucks because it's a kiss of death to the games like Bayonetta 2 and Astral Chain we got, but in reality if you combine the sales of those two games it's equal to a Switch first party title that didn't sell particularly well.

I guess this means Bayo 3 will be our swan song.

Nintendo is not going to buy some company that has no valuable IP where the talent can just leave.

To be clear, I don't think Nintendo is going to buy Platinum Games. But the last video game companies they bought (Monolith Soft and Next-Level Games) were just that!

I know poaching talent is important but it would suck in this case. The process would be so slow we wouldn't get Platinum games for a long time, if ever. It's more likely that talent would be incorporated into helping projects already in the works, too, unless it were someone like Kamiya.

It’s pretty sad that Nintendo probably won’t even think about acquiring them and they will be probably will end up being completely bought by Tencent.

I would rather prefer that they end up with Microsoft, but I doubt Microsoft sees them as valuable when they practically don’t own any of the games they have made.

I know poaching talent is important but it would suck in this case. The process would be so slow we wouldn't get Platinum games for a long time, if ever. It's more likely that talent would be incorporated into helping projects already in the works, too, unless it were someone like Kamiya.
Literally all they need is Kamiya, but I don't think he's the type to work under Nintendo directly unless they gave him unlimited freedom.

Nintendo minority investment in Platinum would make the most sense for both sides. Nintendo would gain exclusive access to a quality developer who makes mature games without having fully acquire them, while Platinum gets access to much needed capital while retaining their creative freedom. Seems like a win win for both sides.

Literally all they need is Kamiya, but I don't think he's the type to work under Nintendo directly unless they gave him unlimited freedom.
Nah. I think giving too much credit to Kamiya alone is dangerous, but most importantly Nintendo wouldn't set up a team under Kamiya from the ground up. If you lose everyone but Kamiya you lose the ability to quickstart a new team. As is Nintendo wouldn't like, move people to or mass hire for Kamiya.

And honestly, Kamiya is probably transitioning into a producer role anyways, rather than a director. He's basically going to become Mikami after Project G.G. I think. What has made Platinum great for the last year is, honestly, almost not down to Kamiya at all.

This and other recent quotes really makes it seem like they are fishing for a buyout. It feels like they're basically always on the brink of collapse. But like you said, they don't really possess anything of worth outside of their talent. Someone like Nintendo would probably rather poach their employees than purchase them outright, unless they're given a really good offer and Platinum would otherwise get bought out by another platform holder

Next level games didn't have anything to offer but their talent either. I wouldn't rule it out.

Platinum would definitely ask Nintendo before anyone else.

I see Nintendo acquiring them only if PG is ready to help out with Nintendo games on the side and the buyout itself is modest.

It's not unprobable but a Chinese company seems the most likely to me.

Platinum literally already have experience doing that with Star fox zero, although the games ending up mediocre (though that sounds like it was Nintendo leaderships fault) might not help their chances.

Last edited:
Please someone give them work so he stops saying stupid things. He's on a roll lately.
I hope no one buys them.

Nah. I think giving too much credit to Kamiya alone is dangerous, but most importantly Nintendo wouldn't set up a team under Kamiya from the ground up. If you lose everyone but Kamiya you lose the ability to quickstart a new team. As is Nintendo wouldn't like, move people to or mass hire for Kamiya.

And honestly, Kamiya is probably transitioning into a producer role anyways, rather than a director. He's basically going to become Mikami after Project G.G. I think. What has made Platinum great for the last year is, honestly, almost not down to Kamiya at all.
Has Platinum been great over the last year? Trying to think of their 2021/2020 roster and drawing a blank.

Has Platinum been great over the last year? Trying to think of their 2021/2020 roster and drawing a blank.
;p

I meant to say "last few years" and what I meant by that was the last decade. Think the last game Kamiya directed for Platinum was the Wonderful 101, which was not well received. Bayonetta 2, Nier (obviously) and Astral Chain, honestly even Bayonetta 3, are not Kamiya's babies. I know he made Bayonetta but it's really the talent of other people who create his sequels.

Platinum literally already have experience doing that with Star fox zero, although the games ending up mediocre (though that sounds like it was Nintendo leaderships fault) might not help their chances.
They didn’t design the game, they helped with asset creation/the graphics. Star Fox Zero being lacking had nothing to do with Platinum Games.

They didn’t design the game, they helped with asset creation/the graphics. Star Fox Zero being lacking had nothing to do with Platinum Games.
While we obviously don't know exactly what they did, I find it hard to believe they would have gotten director (Yusuke hashimoto) and producer (Atsushi Inaba) credits if all they did was asset creation.

While we obviously don't know exactly what they did, I find it hard to believe they would have gotten director (Yusuke hashimoto) and producer (Atsushi Inaba) credits if all they did was asset creation.
You can look it up. That’s how the relationship was described from the start.

Nintendo is the obvious choice in this scenario, but they're so gosh-darn conservative that you never know how they'll act.

You can look it up. That’s how the relationship was described from the start.
I did look it up. The literal words used to describe it on the Wikipedia page from an interview that unfortunately seems to have been taken offline was "co-develop", though googling gives plenty of regurgitations of those words. Nowhere does it say asset creation in these interview quotes.

In fact, googling asset creation in addition to them... Only leads me back to posts from you.

Last edited:
Nintendo is nice imho, then they can make a new bayo once a while and try their own stuff.

I did look it up. The literal words used to describe it on the Wikipedia page from an interview that unfortunately seems to have been taken offline was "co-develop", though googling gives plenty of regurgitations of those words. Nowhere does it say asset creation in these interview quotes.

In fact, googling asset creation in addition to them... Only leads me back to posts from you.
I looked into a handful of interviews, specifically the treehouse live that year, they did collaborate together. I was wrong.

Edit: see Clov’s post below mine. I was partially wrong, partially right. The core design was made at Nintendo before they began working with Platinum to flesh out ideas for levels and presentation elements.

Last edited:

I don't know if Platinum's role was limited to only asset creation, but it is true that the game design and programming were done internally at Nintendo.

I have to agree with ghost that Platinum wasn't the primary reason Star Fox Zero turned out so poorly, the idea for the game was simply flawed from the start.

Back
Top Bottom