• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Pitioss Ruins from Final Fantasy XV should be a full game (and other similar situations)

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
So there's this weird place in Final Fantasy XV called Pitioss Ruins. It's a secret dungeon of sorts, and the entire thing is bizarre, and somewhat genius. To get there, you have to do a sidequest to make your car fly, then land on a super hard-to-spot little piece of road, and walk from there. Pitioss Ruins is nothing whatsoever like the other parts of the game. It's a straight-up platformer. You can't do anything. Noctis has no abilities at all. (You can't even warp-strike in there) All you can do is hit stuff with your sword to activate switches and other things. This kind of super-subtracted premise allows for the experience to be completely built around the level design, which is some truly ingenious level design, on par with any top-tier Zelda dungeon, Metroidvania map or Dark Souls world.

Pitioss Ruins is something not all people like, mainly due to the controls (Noctis isn't really the platforming guy), but I personally found it incredible. I absolutely adored the way that the dungeon sort of organically guided you through it, took you through the various traps and challenges, and made for some truly spetacular moments of just level design magic.

And yet it's, like, there? Who thought it was a good idea to craft one of the most incredible level design accomplishments of the past few years and just tuck it away as a secret dungeon in a messy JRPG?

Sometimes, a game just throws an incredible section, feature or design quirk at you that is so amazing that it would suffice to fill up a whole game alone, and then it disappears, never to be seen again. Are there any examples you can think of, where some odd one-off idea or mechanic just flew by and made you go "Hey! Make that a full game"?

i dont know if this counts, but for me the best part of both botw and totk are the villages, and i wouldn't mind if the games were just one huge town

i dont know if this counts, but for me the best part of both botw and totk are the villages, and i wouldn't mind if the games were just one huge town
I came to say Kakariko. The whole game is full of NPCs running on timers, but for the most part they just walk back and forth so you can but stuff from them. If you spend enough time in Kakariko there are dozens of little interactions hinting at the relationships between characters, and bunches of tiny sidequests and puzzles. I can't tell you how much time I spent trying to figure out how to reunite the couple before I realized I couldn't. :(

Tiger Tiger from Xenoblade 2 could easily be fleshed out as a standalone eshop game. People only complain about it because it's a necessary minigame to upgrade a character. But as its own thing, the mechanics are solid. Classic arcade fun.

edit: Oh, but as an example of a time when this actually happened: Capcom made a standalone mobile game out of the fishing mechanics in Breath of Fire IV
edit 2: I guess Blue Spheres from Sonic 3 might count too if you lock-on a Sonic & Knuckles cartridge onto anything but Sonic 2 or 3

Last edited:
Not the best example because it's the main featured area in the expansion (so not really a random missable piece of content) but Bitterblack Isle from Dragon's Dogma is basically a super condensed version of the game in the form a huge dungeon with increasingly stronger enemies and better loot as you descend and I would have loved for it to be it's own game with much more content lol.

Always felt pretty weird to go back to the big empty open world after doing that if you didn't save it for postgame.

I would play an entire game that is missions set up like the Proving Ground Shrines in TOTK - start each mission with no equipment and have to sneak around and collecting it while taking down enemies.

FINAL FANTASY XV deserves a Remake. Pitioss should be post game of either Episode 1 or 2 of the remake

I came to say Kakariko. The whole game is full of NPCs running on timers, but for the most part they just walk back and forth so you can but stuff from them. If you spend enough time in Kakariko there are dozens of little interactions hinting at the relationships between characters, and bunches of tiny sidequests and puzzles. I can't tell you how much time I spent trying to figure out how to reunite the couple before I realized I couldn't. :(
Oh yea. There are so many little interactions and totk took some of those minor stories to the next step.

In regards to Hateno, two things ive noticed is that
* While obviously everyone know about the blue flame, even the lady in the hotel has dialouge for it which was initaly suprising because you need to drop the flame then open the door and pick it up again. (opening a door with a torch puts out the flame)

* At least in hateno, the kids wake up later than the adults.

Even if this hypothetical zelda was a 10th of the size of.botw, i really think they need to lean in to larger villages and cities for the next game. They are the most finely craftee part of the last two zeldas for me. I dream of a giant castle town that takes hours to just walk through for the next game.

These may be of intrest to you

The Crater is one of the best parts of God of War Ragnarok and an expanded full-game version of it would be amazing for a potential sequel.

The classic answer is probably the card game Triple Triad from FF8. It could easily be its own entire game, even including things like traveling the world and spreading or removing rules, joining tournaments with more and more difficult rulesets, etc.

Another classic example is Gwent in Witcher 3, but they did that, twice even (did they do it even more?).

I would play an entire game that is missions set up like the Proving Ground Shrines in TOTK
Came here to say this. If there was a DLC pack that consisted of nothing but Proving Ground arenas (ideally expanded upon to include greater enemy variety, like make me fight a Hinox or Frox with scraps) I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The Crater is one of the best parts of God of War Ragnarok
I'd straight up say it was the best part. Like if Ragnarok was only the Crater, I would still put it above GoW 2018.

And to offer stuff that haven't been said yet:
  • Raid Mode from Resident Evil Revelations 2, which is basically the third person shooter goodness of Resident Evil distilled into an arcade experience with just the right amount of RPG mechanics to shake things up. The Zombie War Trilogy kind of scratches this itch!
  • Pokemon Amie. Seriously just make a pet sim but with Pokemon. Let me dress them up and feed them treats. Maybe even enter them into Contests and such.
  • Remember the Pokio from Mario Odyssey? I would buy a full fat 3D adventure using the Pokio mechanics.
  • I'd say Triple Triad but we know that's the actual game and the rest of FF8 is the side content

Came here to say this. If there was a DLC pack that consisted of nothing but Proving Ground arenas (ideally expanded upon to include greater enemy variety, like make me fight a Hinox or Frox with scraps) I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I'd straight up say it was the best part. Like if Ragnarok was only the Crater, I would still put it above GoW 2018.

And to offer stuff that haven't been said yet:
  • Raid Mode from Resident Evil Revelations 2, which is basically the third person shooter goodness of Resident Evil distilled into an arcade experience with just the right amount of RPG mechanics to shake things up. The Zombie War Trilogy kind of scratches this itch!
  • Pokemon Amie. Seriously just make a pet sim but with Pokemon. Let me dress them up and feed them treats. Maybe even enter them into Contests and such.
  • Remember the Pokio from Mario Odyssey? I would buy a full fat 3D adventure using the Pokio mechanics.
  • I'd say Triple Triad but we know that's the actual game and the rest of FF8 is the side content
I’ve seen so much praise for the crater, I really should do it but Ragnarok didn’t stick with me much after credits

God, I forgot about that. FFXV was such a weird game lol (which is why I find it to be such a cool game tbf)
Back then I hated that dungeon. Decided to watch a youtube video to remind me of how the dungeon looked, and it doesn't bring back any good memories lmao. So labyrinthic ! But I understand how some can appreciate it. Very complex and interesting structure, that's for sure.

Looked into it... yeah, that would be great.

Generally, im still missing a game where i feel like exploring a deranged claustrophobic structre full of lore.

Say CUBE (the movie series), the Structure from Blame!, Axiom Verge, etc.
The structure has to be at least to some degree artificial, but can be interwoven with more organic biomes.
Play with orientation, non euclidean geometry, weird moving textures that feel like the walls are alive...
Have me zip arround in long coridors, search for hidden tunnels, find a hand full of more open areas , have it all be interconnected, weird, alien like,

It was hinda what i hoped nintendo would do in TotK.
What we got where some great cave parts, and a huge area underground... that feels like a lot of the same with a handful of interesting points, but most navigation is not dependent on building a mental map of that place, but just... finding a straight line in an open area where the lights are out. The castle in BotW felt more like what i want compared to the Below.

I'm still waiting for Final Fantasy: Fishing. I loved that in FFXV.

I don't know why I was so obsessed with the racing sequence in Starfox Adventures; I don't even know if it could be fleshed out into a full game given how minimal the options are and just goes straight into high-stakes chase (in hindsight I may have been on an F-Zero GX kick at the time), but yeah this was and still probably is among my favourite sequences found within a game that I wish had just a little more

Back
Top Bottom