• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion PITCH: They should make an Animal Crossing RPG

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
It's not an over-exaggeration to say that Animal Crossing has become one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. It's also not an over-exaggeration to say that Nintendo has become enamored with turn-based RPG-style games. Xenoblade, Miitopia, and Fire Emblem are just the first party ones, but they're also not shy about promoting games like Bravely Default 2, Octopath Traveler, Live a Live, Triangle Strategy, etc. It's time to cross the streams.

Here's the pitch: It's Animal Crossing, but set in medieval/fantasy times. You show up to a very small village, with just a couple of villagers, and are tasked with creating a village that will entice more and more villagers of all kinds of personalities and skills to show up. Sounds like basic Animal Crossing, right? Here's where it differs.

Sir Thomas Nook runs The Adventurer's Guild, where people can take on quests to earn precious Bells, and has just opened up a new branch in this small little village you have just found yourself in. Unimpressed with there only being a few villagers here, he tasks you with gathering more to help take on the many quests coming in. The villagers that come into your town? They become your Party Members.

All of the series' regular villagers are here. Animal Crossing has 8 villager "Personalities" and each of these will equate to a class. Jocks become Warriors, Normal/Sweet villagers become Healers, Cranky villagers become Wizards, Peppy villagers become Bards, etc etc. Along with gifting them furniture for their houses, you can gift them clothes/armour, and weapons. The DIY crafting of New Horizons is back, but along with tools you can also craft weapons like swords and bows. Giving them gifts will increase their bond with you, which increases their likelihood to help you out in battle and do more damage. They would also have traditional RPG levels/stats which you could upgrade by taking them on quests, or asking them to train with you which would also increase their bond with you.

The game does otherwise play like a typical Animal Crossing game. The game uses a real time clock, villagers will come hang out in your town and you can convince them to stay, or they can think about and then be convinced to leave. What would be new, though, is that you can take on quests. When you take on a quest from the town's Quest Board, you can select up to 4 villagers to come along and help you on your quest. Maybe the quest is to tame some goblins bothering a nearby town. Maybe the quest is to retrieve some stolen treasure, where you can have the opportunity to teach the thief that stealing is wrong, and that if they like, they could come hang out in your town where you'd be given the opportunity to "recruit" them.

Now, this IS Animal Crossing, so any edge is gone. You don't kill anything, you just tame them. Characters don't even get "knocked out," they just get tired and head back to the village where they won't be able to go on any more quests that day. The whole game will have the air that the usual Animal Crossing characters are just putting on one giant renaissance fair. It's light hearted and fun and not overly difficult.

Frankly I think this would be a cool, exciting spin-off the series would benefit from after New Horizons barely changed up the series formula. It would show that this universe has plenty of potential for all sorts of different kinds of games, and it'd be fun for long-time fans to see their favourite villagers all dressed up as knights and wizards and having a fun, adventurous time.

What do you all think? Would this be a game you'd be into? Let me know!

So Fantasy Life? Lol

But I would be for this really since Level 5 is not going to do anything with Fantasy Life.

Make it like Suikoden and have the ability to recruit every damned villager to your party. But like make you actually recruit them not just have them available.

Not completely out of the question, given that the original concept for Animal Crossing was an RPG! Sounds pretty cute and fun.

I’m in.

My vision as soon as I read this thread title was of just grinding through hordes of Jock-type villagers, perhaps Dynasty Warriors style, and building a castle out of their skulls. Those villagers just won’t shut up.

Remember Miitopia? I thought that was pretty fun. Why not make a game in that mode w Animal Crossing characters and set dressing? I’d play it.

Could be a neat return to the original concept for Animal Crossing when it was an N64DD title.

Love this idea. Animal Crossing has so much potential for other gameplay genres, and I hope they don't let it go to waste.

I want to share my idea as well, it's something I've been thinking about it for years:

In this game you are tasked by the Nook Trading company to carry cargo between newly settled towns. You have a cargo wagon and will venture through the wilderness between various locations. The wilderness is open and procedurally generated, just like how towns are generated in the mainline games, just on a vast scale.

Along the way you will need to set up camps and gather resources in order to safely transport the cargo. Build makeshift bridges to cross streams and gullies, Repair your wheels after crossing rough terrain, Eat to maintain your energy from pulling your wagon. You may also be tasked to find rare items and ingredients in the wild, some hidden in hard to reach areas. As you travel, you will be able to establish routes between towns, and create roads and bridges. The wilderness isn't static however, events like landslides, fallen trees, flooding, and harsh weather will keep you on your toes using what you can find to overcome the obstacles.

You will encounter villagers, either while traveling in the wild or at a town. You can team up and have them join your journey to assist with various tasks, and maybe help them discover what it is they're looking for as well.

Animal Crossing: New Frontiers

Last edited:
I haven't played little king's story yet (had a copy for about 10 years though), but this sounds like little king's story and I am on board.

I think Stardew Valley has shown that fantasy/RPG mechanics can easily fit in a laid back life sim game, so I think this would be a pretty cool idea.

However, this is a Derachi idea, and as such I am expecting a clever name. Where is it?

I think Stardew Valley has shown that fantasy/RPG mechanics can easily fit in a laid back life sim game, so I think this would be a pretty cool idea.

However, this is a Derachi idea, and as such I am expecting a clever name. Where is it?
Animal Crossing Ye Olde Horizons

Here's my pitch: they should make a Pokemon crossing. Literally just animal crossing with Pokémon villagers & npcs instead of animals.

Back
Top Bottom