• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Pitch a 5 character lineup for a hypothetical Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighters Pass Vol. 3

I didn’t look at anything. Going with Existing third parties, Nintendo well loved character, and random WTF one:

1. Dixie Kong - I feel this is the biggest omission from the first party stable. Will have multiple hair based recovery moves but this character will utilize the animal companions for the other smash attacks. Rumble Falls returns
  2. The Prince - roll based attacks suck up items and make the character stronger. Who knows what else for moves. Probably guitar strumming. The stage will actually be one continuous growing into space as you fight.
  3. Master Chief/Arbiter - this will happen since Microsoft will have announced Halo 2 for Switch by then. Ranged based fighter for Master Chief, and the Arbiter will be the closed range option. No down smash as that will be reserved for swapping like Zelda/Shiel used to be. Also will come with a Flood assist trophy.
  4. 2B - I feel square needs another rep and this one seems to work for switch. Also, I want the Nier music remixes.
  5. Geno - ok, another square character but with SMRPG remaster out, it is finally time. Will have a Malo stage and assist trophy.

1. Crono

-purely fanboy reasoning but Chrono trigger is often considered one of the best games of all time... definitely one of the highest regarded not yet mentioned in Smash at least.

2. Master Chief

-possibly would generate the most excitement, assuming playstation characters are still not realistic even in my fantasy scenario.

3. Lara Croft

-one of the few remaining big classic 3rd parties left.

4. Ori

-moveset and look fits in perfectly, and I selfishly want the music.

5. The (Hollow) Knight

-with Hornet as an alt/echo, good timing for marketing. Could have a unique mechanic to attempt to get back to his body once after death.

Yes there are more deserving characters (always a Dixie Kong bridesmaid, never a Dixie Kong bride) but that's why I should never be allowed to make any decisions.

[kicks down door, visibly drunk and irate] ALL RIGHT MASACHAN LET'S FIGURE THIS OUT

1. The Prince of Darkness, Ganon

Ganon_%28Oracle_of_Ages_%26_Oracle_of_Seasons%29.png

You don't wanna redesign Ganondorf to make him more canon compliant? The haters and the reactionaries got you scared to change him up because he's "Smash iconic"? Fine. We don't need him anymore. Let's do The Big Man.

Heaviest character in the game, and the slowest. More mobile if he just teleports, which limits his movement options. Magic out the wazoo. Balanced by a razor's edge. Feels like playing as a boss character, all trident and fireballs and shockwaves.

2. Impa

hyrule-warriors-age-of-calamity-impa-2.jpg

Impa from Age of Calamity. You like ninjas? Everyone likes ninjas. We're gonna ninja these fools in front of us. She's the most consistent character in the entire franchise outside of the Big Three, and has a variety of great designs you can use as alternate costumes. Skyward Sword Impa, Ocarina of Time Impa—even Hyrule Warriors Impa, if you're nasty. Her Age of Calamity moveset basically writes itself, but you can give her some good grappling and magic shields to work as homages to her other skins.

3. Mipha

Mipha_art_thumb.png

Look, Masachan, Smash needs more women in it. You know it, I know it, the internet knows it. We let Ganon in because we had to, but the rest of this list is basically all going to be girls. There's simply no helping it.

Luckily Mipha is perfect. She's quick, she'd have unique movement animations, she has great reach but low damage-per-hit with her trident, she'd have bad recovery but excellent defensive abilities—a totally unique playstyle. Package her with a battle against Vah Ruta as a stage, and who's going to complain? No one in the world is going to complain

4. Riju

400px-Riju_-_TotK_key_art_nobg.png

Ah, Riju's perfect. She ties into all the modern Zelda titles, she has a unique melee style, she can use lightning for her specials, she has a parallel moveset from Age of Calamity that would let her use her loyal sand seal, Patricia, to recover and attack, she could use the Thunder Helm for her Final Smash—what's not to love? Nothing at all. Everyone celebrates Riju.

5. Midna

Midna.png

Ah now, I hear what you're saying—an imp? Even if we pull from her moveset from Hyrule Warriors, even if we do stuff with her hair, that's a bit limited, isn't it?

But it's not all we'd do, my friends. I think you're wrong, but there's more. Of course, Midna has two forms, so we'd have to let her transform, right?

800px-Midnao.jpg

Now you're seeing the bigger picture. Draw from her Hyrule Warriors moveset, make her a switch-in character like Pyra and Mythra, and go to town. Hell, go a step further. Give her freaky illusion magic—remember when she took on Ilia's face to make a point? Just let her go full Shang Tsung and turn into whoever she's fighting on a whim. Every fight is a pocket mirror match.

Sound good? I think it sounds great. Let's go get some food

[kicks down door, visibly drunk and irate] ALL RIGHT MASACHAN LET'S FIGURE THIS OUT

You don't wanna redesign Ganondorf to make him more canon compliant? The haters and the reactionaries got you scared to change him up because he's "Smash iconic"? Fine. We don't need him anymore. Let's do The Big Man.

Heaviest character in the game, and the slowest. More mobile if he just teleports, which limits his movement options. Magic out the wazoo. Balanced by a razor's edge. Feels like playing as a boss character, all trident and fireballs and shockwaves.

2. Impa

Impa from Age of Calamity. You like ninjas? Everyone likes ninjas. We're gonna ninja these fools in front of us. She's the most consistent character in the entire franchise outside of the Big Three, and has a variety of great designs you can use as alternate costumes. Skyward Sword Impa, Ocarina of Time Impa—even Hyrule Warriors Impa, if you're nasty. Her Age of Calamity moveset basically writes itself, but you can give her some good grappling and magic shields to work as homages to her other skins.

3. Mipha

Mipha_art_thumb.png

Look, Masachan, Smash needs more women in it. You know it, I know it, the internet knows it. We let Ganon in because we had to, but the rest of this list is basically all going to be girls. There's simply no helping it.

Luckily Mipha is perfect. She's quick, she'd have unique movement animations, she has great reach but low damage-per-hit with her trident, she'd have bad recovery but excellent defensive abilities—a totally unique playstyle. Package her with a battle against Vah Ruta as a stage, and who's going to complain? No one in the world is going to complain

4. Riju

Ah, Riju's perfect. She ties into all the modern Zelda titles, she has a unique melee style, she can use lightning for her specials, she has a parallel moveset from Age of Calamity that would let her use her loyal sand seal, Patricia, to recover and attack, she could use the Thunder Helm for her Final Smash—what's not to love? Nothing at all. Everyone celebrates Riju.

5. Midna

Midna.png

Ah now, I hear what you're saying—an imp? Even if we pull from her moveset from Hyrule Warriors, even if we do stuff with her hair, that's a bit limited, isn't it?

But it's not all we'd do, my friends. I think you're wrong, but there's more. Of course, Midna has two forms, so we'd have to let her transform, right?

800px-Midnao.jpg

Now you're seeing the bigger picture. Draw from her Hyrule Warriors moveset, make her a switch-in character like Pyra and Mythra, and go to town. Hell, go a step further. Give her freaky illusion magic—remember when she took on Ilia's face to make a point? Just let her go full Shang Tsung and turn into whoever she's fighting on a whim. Every fight is a pocket mirror match.

I would be down for a Zelda pack. Underrepresented series

2. Impa

3. Mipha

Mipha_art_thumb.png

4. Riju

5. Midna

Midna.png

800px-Midnao.jpg

I'm just waiting for OP to pronounce the fate of Masachan proposing an all-Zelda-IP character pack. Will he get a raise? Will he lose his job? Will he end up transferred to work on the next Zelda?

Ain't had a genuinely new character since 2001, God help us all! About time to set things right
There were characters they could have used for other games, but I feel there is finally a large enough group of unique characters to choose from that people would like to play.

1. jin kazama - tekken
2. elma - xenoblade chronicles x
3. geno - super mario rpg
4. shadow the hedgehog - sonic
5. noctis lucis caelum - final fantasy xv

Heh well these are always fun. Let's give this a go.

First, for broad rules I'm adding based on Fighter Pass 1/2 knowledge, I'm gonna make a split between "third party" fighters and "Nintendo" fighters. We'll put this as a 3/2 split; three third party and two first party. For first party, we'll do one recent(-ish) release and one "oddball" release.

I generally attempted to avoid the "meme" picks; Waluigi and Geno are fun to be conspiratorial about, but if Sakurai seriously wanted to add them, he'd have done so by now. Similarly, I mostly avoided western picks on historic basis; SSBs roster always leans towards games that were successful on the Japanese market. This is the main reason I omitted both Doomguy and especially Master Chief. While Doom is pretty niche in Japan, Halo has basically no presence in Japan (due to the bad reputation of the Xbox as a shovelware console over there), so I dont think either addition would make much sense.

1. Dante (Devil May Cry)

Either him or Vergil. This one would be cool purely from a gameplay perspective. Dante is well known for having a massive movepool to draw from, lots of options and I can see a fun stylishness mechanic here.

2. Paper Mario (Thousand Year Door)

The paper curses could be a fun mechanic to play around with movement. Throw in party members or badges (could go either way) and you have a pretty easy slam dunk that lines up well with the TTYD remake coming up!

3. Shantae (Wayforward)

Wayforward may have only one trick up it's bow, but Shantae is basically the original indie game for Nintendo. Going back all the way to the Gameboy (albeit published by Capcom), this heroine deserves a spot on the roster purely from legacy alone. Her dance moves go back as far as the original game and they can easily make a fun transformation based kit around it.

4. Samurai Goro (F-Zero)

I've got a clear preference for movesets with lots of variety. Goro wouldn't be that. No, Goro deserves a spot because I like F-Zero, I don't think Nintendo does enough with F-Zero and we could use a second rep besides Falcon. Goro is Falcons rival and going by Sakurais own descriptions, the less we see of a character practically, the more freedom he has to design them to be fun. I could see him getting a more fighting-game esque moveset, without the stance locking/auto turning that similar characters have.

5. Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)

Honestly, soundtrack alone would make this a must for me (and a "why wasn't this dude in vol. 2"). Besides that, Sol would be a fun fighting game rep for one simple reason: rushdown potential. A big thing of GGs gameplay is how easy it is to convert into a rushdown, even as a beginner. This could give him a unique niche compared to other fighting game representatives, who largely represent franchises with more "traditional" styles of play. Guilty Gear is fast and it should feel that way, even when converted to Smash. Sol is basically a shoto with some moves you don't expect on a shoto that make people push him towards being a rushdown character instead (as opposed to most "main" fighting game characters, who are pure shotos). Purely on this alone, he would be a really fun to character to play and it brings a different archetype from a fighting game than what we got in Base roster/Vol 1/2. GG also has more airgame than other fighting games, which should help a bit with his mobility in that regard.

Last edited:
1.-Doomslayer (from Doom)
2.-Mio/Noah/the rest of XC3 team characters as skins (from Xenoblade)
3.-Liu Kang (from Mortal Kombat)
4.-Leon S Kennnedi (from Resident Evil)
5.-Akira (Astral Chain main character)

I would use huge star power for this:

Lara Croft - She would cause hype overload the more you think about it

Geno - One of the most requested characters since Brawl. Also, Waluigi is already in the game, so I choose him

Crash Bandicoot - Iconic. Very recognizable and would deserve it

Ray Man - It's strange he is not already in Smash right?

FORTNITE CHARACTER - the only thing I could see breaking the internet again after Sora and Steven.

1) Kazuma Kiryu. Even if Ichiban is the main character of the saga going forward, Kiryu is the face of the Yakuza Series, perhaps the greatest triumph of once competitor Sega. He is also, literally, a brawler and has a moveset already (although summoning bikes to smash on people's faces might prove tricky).

2) Crash Bandicoot. Now that Xbox is reportedly going third party and that I no longer will be able to enjoy the moral superiority that comes with a console that has halo and gears exclusive to it (?), it's time for the most famous Actiblizz-now-Microsoft-owned mascot to finally come to smash and let us live the dream that every 90s kid with a playstation had. To punch Mario with Crash.

3) Rayman/the Prince from the Prince of Persia series of games. Kind of the same logic for both. Oldie gaming icons, lack of Ubisoft representation (and, well, European gaming rep not that we lack Europeans anywhere else). I get rayman may be more limited but he has appeared in other fighting games, and we could have the rabbids show up in his moves. The Prince could come in its iconic (actual iconic and, I guess, also Ubisoft Iconic) Sands of Time iteration and have time-related powers à la bayonetta.

4) Lara Croft. Again with the European representation, but yeah. 90s icon, female character, could have interesting movepool with gunplay and some moves from the later games.

5) Doomslayer. I could write a paragraph but everyone else already has. He's one of the most iconic characters, could have an incredible weapon variety, great mobility since DOOM Eternal... Easy pick.

Others: Chun Li and Scorpion or Sub-Zero. Boring (?) characters, since they are already fighting game characters and would have the same gimmick as Ryu, Kazuya... but just in terms of gaming representation, they would fit like a glove.

I like this thread because I believe on switch 2, rather than doing a brand new smash, they could go the mario kart 8/Bowser's fury route and just re-launch the game with extra content.

My picks are:
1 - Rayman
2 - Geno
3 - Crash
4 - Shantae
5 - Klonoa

1- Pockle!
13252.jpg

Why? To put Giftpia back on map. Nintendo has way too many smaller franchises and some of them need reviving just like Giftpia.

2- Robin:

Eum_DHYXcAAdmXn.jpg

Lark was Pilotwings poster boy but I feel these DLC passes need more female representation so I go with next best character: Robin.

3- Muddy Mole:
EU_DqSqXsAA3Zj0.jpg

We need some more cute animals too! Here's Muddy, a hardworking mole who'd do everything to care for his family. He's expertise is in bombs, Sakurai can create him a nice little final smash that blows everyone away.

4- Jill:
images

Another female rep! Jill has already a weapon in hand should be fun to drill in and out the stages. Maybe she'll get out of her mech and fight herself too!

5- Prince Sable:
SSBU_spirit_Prince_of_Sabl%C3%A9.png

Now here's a fun character to use. Not just "another sword fighter", this fella here can transform into a frog and a snake! Think about the possibilities of transforming midst a battle, he can easily evade attacks.
This is the energy I like to see

1- Pockle!
13252.jpg

Why? To put Giftpia back on map. Nintendo has way too many smaller franchises and some of them need reviving just like Giftpia.

2- Robin:

Eum_DHYXcAAdmXn.jpg

Lark was Pilotwings poster boy but I feel these DLC passes need more female representation so I go with next best character: Robin.

3- Muddy Mole:
EU_DqSqXsAA3Zj0.jpg

We need some more cute animals too! Here's Muddy, a hardworking mole who'd do everything to care for his family. He's expertise is in bombs, Sakurai can create him a nice little final smash that blows everyone away.

4- Jill:
images

Another female rep! Jill has already a weapon in hand should be fun to drill in and out the stages. Maybe she'll get out of her mech and fight herself too!

5- Prince Sable:
SSBU_spirit_Prince_of_Sabl%C3%A9.png

Now here's a fun character to use. Not just "another sword fighter", this fella here can transform into a frog and a snake! Think about the possibilities of transforming midst a battle, he can easily evade attacks.
As one of the few that apparently remembers/loves Mole Mania (very funny story how I got a copy as a kid thanks to a classmate trying to scam me unaware that the game he was trying to push on me was actually badass) I'm very happy I didn't need to be the one to post about Muddy here.

1- Alear (Fire Emblem Engage)
2- Celica (Fire Emblem Gaiden)
3- Sylvain, my beloved (Fire Emblem: Three Houses
4- Azura (Fire Emblem Fates)
5- Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War)

1 Jonesy (fortnite
2 Jinx (league of elgneds
3 among us
4 Roblox thing
5 hog rider (clash of clans)
6 Genshin impact

All I see is dollar signs

Thier inclusions will make money.

For the Genshin character you should pay money to unlock all of its moves.

Unless you have 20000k Robux you can’t play Roblox thing.

And bayou have to wait 24 hours at a time to use hog rider

Among us can’t jump unless you play the new among us mode no one ever wants to play

You have to buy fortnite battle pass to use jonesy in smash, if you ever don’t have the battle passs they are rendered unplayable

I don’t care if they are fun and they should all be broken so people have to pay to win.

I can think of so many characters. But I'll try to name a few I think could be logical additions to the roster:

1. Hunter (Monster Hunter) - Because it's Monster Hunter, duh! No, seriously. The series finally got the respect it deserves overseas, and it's bigger than ever. With Monster Hunter Wilds coming out next year, there is even more reason to add the Hunter to Smash. The true stars of the MH series are the monsters, which is why we already got Rathalos, but it's not the same as having a playable character. I'd make character female by default, and give her the Great Sword to be a heavy fighter. Her gimmick would probably be her having a sharpness meter on her sword.

2. Hayabusa Ryu (Ninja Gaiden) - Ryu is one of the bigger third party characters missing, with a big history on the NES. A classic character that has existed for decades. Nowadays the series seems to be dead, but who knows if it will ever revive? Ryu would also be the perfect Koei Tecmo rep, which we don't have yet. He'd probably have a mix of his classic abilities mixed with modern Ninja Gaiden stuff.

3. Chun-Li (Street Fighter) - we already have 2 SF characters, but Chun-Li is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest female videogame character ever and she really should be in Smash. She's awesome, cool and really fun to play in her own games. The only thing that she has against her is that Smash is for good little boys and girls, and Chun-Li (at least in her classic outfits) isn't really that. But if Pyra and Mythra can get into Smash, then Chun-Li can as well.

4. Tachibana Ayumi (Famicom Detective Club) - We got remakes of the original games, even overseas. We heard that Sakurai wanted to have her playable in the past, but changed his mind. Now it's time to make it right. Not only is this me being delusional holding hope that her inclusion will give us a new entry in the Detective Club series, but I think she could be a fun character to add that's very different from the existing roster. We could also use (much) more female characters, which Nintendo is lacking.

5. Crono (Chrono Trigger) - I know, I know. We already have 4 Square Enix characters, but I don't care! Chrono Trigger is one of the best games of all time, and more people need to know it exists. Heck, I don't even care that much about Crono. I'd be just as hyped if they went with Marle, Lucca or Ayla. I don't even mind if they made Crono an echo fighter of DQ Hero. Just give him light based magic instead of the various elements that Hero has.

1. Master Chief

Would be a great “mind-blower” to start the pass off with. Halo is one of the most iconic series in gaming, and having the Xbox mascot in Smash would be insane (as well as symbolic of the current times).

2. Ceruledge

One of the most popular Pokèmon from Scarlet and Violet, and has prominence in the new anime series (Horizons). Would feel different from many of the others already in the game by being the first ghost type in Smash, as well as being the only sword-fighter Pokèmon.

3. Crash Bandicoot

One of the last major platforming mascots yet to be added to Smash and a highly requested character at that. I think Crash would be a welcome and fun addition to the roster, as well as completing the “console trifecta” by being a former PlayStation mascot.

4. Jonesy

Can’t say I’m too into Fortnite these days but most of the current generation of kids are. This would be huge for them, and I think they need a fighter with that kind of appeal, similar to Steve in the last fighter pass. I also think there’s some decent moveset potential here, along with the idea of a really cool Battle Bus stage.

Geno

One of the most requested characters ever, who’s recently had a resurgence thanks to the remake of Super Mario RPG. They honestly have no reason not to include Geno now, and I think he would be a fitting close to the pass.

nUubaJ.gif

tumblr_mw43layUvO1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

175177.gif

ed846a2e600482d3bfcd9c2a11fc6f5e69b7fd40_00.gif

eggman-dr-eggman.gif

Top priorities still remain the 5 above! But I'd also be happy with Dixie Kong, Rayman, Bomberman and Heihachi.

EDIT: Also, should add that I don't subscribe to the hypothetical idea of Ultimate getting more DLC or the game getting ported to the next hardware; but the list remains as my most wanted characters!

Last edited:
Fun!!!

Here are the characters I would like to see : )

1.) captain toad: like in the games he can’t jump but to compensate for this he has a grapple hook. He is a power house on the ground but when launched in the air he is pretty weak, like little Mac.

2.) Dixie Kong: fast like diddy, uses her hair like a whip

3.) Revali: can glide around and is dangerous from a distance, but can’t do much up close

4.) Paper Mario: more than a Mario clone, he is a completely unique character with moves that utilize his paper nature. He can glide around as a paper air plane. When attacking, hitting the attack button again with correct timing can deal bonus damage like in the games, same with timing your bubble shield

5.) Bandana Waddle-Dee: he becomes the Kilik of Smash bros. His spear is fearce at medium range, but if you can close the distance, but less reflective at close range.

Bonus Pick: Ashley and D from another code: Recollection. It could be a rosalina and luma situation

Last edited:
I'm going to go with pure fanboyism over logic, interest or economic and marketing reality!

1. Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei), because as an ATLUS fan I need my amiibo
2. Pocky & Rocky (Pocky & Rocky), because they're my favorite duo
3. Ulala (Space Channel 5), because we need more Rhythm Games representation
4. The Knight (Hollow Knight), because they're my favorite indie hero
5. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney), because he fights for the people and should have been there for ages!

It's time to shake the aging roster and add a few variants here and there :

Samus (Metroid Dread)
She's faster, she's stronger, and she counter exactly like in Dread ; she can counter while moving. Final Smash is her Metroid Beam from Dread (and you can actually hear her scream just like in Dread when she activates her Final Smash).

Ganondorf (Tears of the Kingdom)
New moveset based on TotK and a big ass Final Smash based on the last boss fight of the game (no spoiler). He moves slowly but very strong and also quite heavy.

Raven Beak (Metroid Dread)
You shouldn't try to fight him, he is too powerful, too strong. Plus he is very smart and beautiful, according to Adam (sources needed). Raven Beak is very fast and hit like a tank. Just like Dread Samus, he shares a few moves with her. His final Smash is his mega beam or maybe he sends some Chozo Warriors to ruin your %). He doesn't counter but can activate his shield to suppress a few hits.

Goemon (Ganbare Goemon / Mystical Ninja)
Wow, somehow, Konami remembered him ! Goemon can't jump very high but is quite agile. His weapon (the basic pipe) can't reach far but is quite strong. Obviously, his Final Smash summons Impact and just by seeing his giant goofy smile, all opponents are already dead before he crushes them.

Cherry Hunter (Streets of Rage 4)
Last but not least, Cherry beats the Streets of Smash ! Using her guitar, she rocks everyone. Her special calls for all the SoR team to beat'em all. Her trailer reveal uses the second part of the "Rising up" theme song (I flippin' love this song), it was used in a trailer.

I defy my Best Friend Sakurai and say:

“bruh. u did so many fighters. this should be a BOSS PASS like that cool turkey u made from Monster Hunch”

and so it comes to pass.

1. Queelag — Dark Souls — crying on my Best Friend Sakurai’s floor, wine drunk beyond reason, I tell him that in the end… aren’t we all a little Queelag? “I have spenk my HOLE LIFE gettin’ by, u know?” I say. “But I have 2 b real my dude!! In my heart I’m (hic). I am (hic). I’m (hic). I AM A QUEELAG!” He patiently takes notes.

2. Ancient Sirehound — Pikmin 4 — as my Best Friend Sakurai tucks me in, I start muttering some nonsense from the conscious-unconscious demilitarized zone. “bouf bouf bouf bouf bouf (narrr dunana bunana duna buna dunanana buda) bouf”. Sakurai takes my meaning.

3. The Radiance — Hollow Knight — kicking back on my Best Friend Sakurai’s off-white pleather loveseat, bathed in the morning light, I have a flash of brilliance. So brilliant, in fact, I nearly drop my plate of lovingly-cooked eggs. “Sun’s too bright,” I say. “We should put it in a bug.” He writes something down.

4. Sans — Undertale — my Best Friend Sakurai is washing the dishes when I sneak up behind him holding a human bone. “Bonk,” I say. I’m still drunk. “gotchuuu.” For the first time, he looks at me with pleading concern. But I’m quick to clarify. “I know u got yr Sans. But think about it. The pospabilities. Boooooone citayyyy. Dodge that, jabroni.” Surprisingly, he still takes notes. It’s a Sunday.

5. Koraidon & Miraidon — Pokémon Scarlet & Violet — my Best Friend Sakurai is loading me into his car like a bag of wet pool noodles. The hangover has struck. “Ngh. Bweh. It’s the headache of future past.” He patiently nods. “There’s your last boss. Yerrrrrr welcome.” He writes something else entirely.

Ah Sakurai-san, please take a seat. I have heard all about how you haven't even thought about character choices for Fighters Pass 3 but no worries, your besto friendo here shall help you out with what will become your magnum opus. Five characters you say? No problem, here's what I'm thinking bestie

1. Estelle Bright (Trails/Kiseki series)
I know you love your RPGs Sakurai-san, so I believe I don't need to explain how wonderful this small interconnected series of games is. For your pitch you can explain that there have been whisperings of the Trails in the Sky games being remade and that by getting the series first protagonist in Smash, there could be a good opportunity to promote a niche RPG series that I'm sure you love. Now Estelle Bright is also a badass female character and we all know how much people appreciate these kinds of characters. You've even got taunts sorted with stuff like "it's time for ul-tra vi-o-lence" and her S-Craft Wheel of Time makes perfect sense for a final Smash. You know it makes sense Sakurai-san, give Falcom their first Smash rep.

2. Agumon (Digimon series)
Listen, we have Bandai Namco making Smash, they work with Digimon, we all know how much 90s kids want that Pokémon Vs Digimon matchup.... Give them what they want. Use their weakness to nostalgia and let the Digital Monster run riot. You've got Digimon Rumble Arena 2 as a good base for your Agumon framework, with him being able to Digivolve into his higher forms as he takes more damage. Couple that with the Omnimon final smash and you're golden, believe me, signed, a 90s kid.

3. Ray MK III (Custom Robo series)
You hear that Sakurai-san? The children yearn for an out there pick from a classic Nintendo series. What? No one's aware of Custom Robo anymore? Nonsense, there are literally about a dozen of us who are still upset that you cut the Ray MK III trophy from Smash. Ok maybe less than a dozen but WE CARE. Anyways Sakurai-san, Ray provides an opportunity for a unique character where you can change parts for different gun weapons, like regular bullets or a drill gun, or maybe even the hornet gun. Think like how Min Min can change her arms and we've got a base here we can build from.

4. Kiryu Kazuma (Yakuza/Like A Dragon series)
Now Sakurai-san, I have unfortunately not gotten around to playing the Yakuza games.... Hey don't give me that look, they're in the backlog! So while I'm unfamiliar with Kiryu to provide a moveset pitch, I can provide the "this will please Nintendo pitch" You see Sakurai-san, for whatever reason, RGG have avoided porting their titles onto Switch, crazy I know. So how about we give them a little nudge, a wee incentive you might say.... We get Kiryu into Smash, we develop a Yakuza fanbase on Switch, and they become so loud that RGG cannot ignore the potential market anymore and voilà, Yakuza is back on Nintendo platforms. Smash wins, Nintendo wins, Sega wins, we all win.

5. Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic series)
Wait, wait, wait, sit back down Sakurai-san please. Yes I know he could just be an echo fighter but listen.... Sega have big things planned for this Hedgehog this year. The Sonic X Shadow Generations game, the Sonic 3 movie, everything is lined up to bring so much hype for the second most popular Sonic character and we can end this pass with a bang if we bring him in. The people were shocked you didn't make him an echo fighter in the first place but we can make up for that now. This can be the year of Shadow and we can be right there in centre of it. You know it makes sense Sakurai-san, bring out the Ultimate Life Form.

Thank you Sakurai-san, these are as you say, inspired choices and I'm glad I could help my besto friendo out in his time of need. Feel free to pop in whenever you need my advice again Sakurai-san, I will always have time for you

The absolute state of Smash Bros. if every character moving forward is just third party characters.
This is why I think an Echo Fighter pack is more interesting at this point. Echoes on the level of Ken or Isabelle for multiple characters.

Dixie for Diddy
Shadow for Sonic
Liquid for Snake
Waluigi for Someone
Roxas for Sora

and more!

Your best friend Masahiro Sakurai has lost his job because you didn’t include the short paragraghs.
Okay let me try again:

Lots of this carries over from my previous lists but here I go.

#1 - Jill Valentine - From the Resident Evil series, Jill Valentine joins the battle. She's been through many cataclysmic events in her life, while also being nearly transformed into a bioweapon herself. She's armed with explosives, but can get up close and personal with strong and swift melee attacks. Her jump isn't remarkable, but over time, she can unlock the bioweapon within her.

#2 - Mio - From Xenoblade Chronicles 3, the off-seer Mio joins the battle. Her launch power isn't remarkable, but she's quick and nimble dealing lots of damage over a small period of time. Keep a lookout for her Ouroboros form, when she fuses with Noah for her Final Smash, sending her foes to the far reaches of Aionios.

#3 - Dr. Eggman - The famed evil doctor joins the fight for a chance to prove his might against his arch nemesis. This time, he's fighting in a walking mech seen in Sonic Adventure 2. He's a bit portly himself, but his robotic legs give him a swift edge. For his Final Smash, he calls down a beam from the Ark - a high-powered laser armed and ready from the moon. Let's hope Sonic can stop his evil plan. He may even have some help...

#3.5 - Shadow the Hedgehog - Added by popular demand, Shadow the Hedgehog joins the battle as an Echo Fighter. He skates along the battlefield at blinding speeds. His moves are similar to Sonic, with some key differences, such as his Chaos Control recovery. He may not move quite as fast as Sonic, but he packs a bit more of a punch. His Final Smash freezes you with Chaos Control, before he turns into Super Shadow, delivering a beatdown at lightspeed.

#4 - Solaire of Astora - From the grim world of Dark Souls. Solaire of Astora joins the fight for some jolly cooperation. He's a master of Lordran with many fighting styles. While he's not very quick on the ground, he's quite versatile with different weapons. He can even use his Estus Flasks to heal himself! His Final Smash has him praising the sun, as it grows brighter and brighter, incinerating the battlefield.

#5 - Kazuma Kiryu - Fresh off the streets of Kamurocho, Tokyo, Kazuma Kiryu joins the fight. He's adept at a wide variety of martial arts styles, and can use objects in his environment as weapons in battle. His Final Smash is a devastating combo attack, where he's joined by Goro Majima for a series of beatdowns. Ouch!

1. Oatchi w/Moss echo
2. Ogerpon (Mask transformation character)
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Monster Hunter Man/Lady
5. Goku from Dragon Ball Z (best possible send-off)

1. Octoling - There’s enough new weapons and items in Splatoon 3 to make a new character IMO. Give them Small Fry to make them even more unique.
2. Mio - Need more female characters and she is the co-protagonist of Xenoblade 3
3. Impa - there’s a lot they can pull from to make a cool character. Zelda could use more reps in general.
4. Dr. Eggman - we need more villains in Smash and he’s about one of the most iconic villains of all time.
5. Excitebiker - I played Laika Aged Through Blood and I’m fully convinced you can make a character whose movement is entirely on a motorcycle. This is my “batshit insane” retro Nintendo character pick IE Duck Hunt and Game Watch.

Mio (Xenoblade 3): I've seen others say make Mio and Noah a double fighter. I don't think it works as well as Aegis does. Since transforming from one to the other is something they do in their games. I think it should be one of Mio or Noah. Ima pick Mio since we need female characters in the game and her weapon is unique.

Amy Rose (Sonic): This would be yet another female character. I personally may prefer Shadow but it would be kind of weird that you could play as him and summon him using an assist trophy. I think Amy would potentially be a fun character to use with her hammer weapon.

Okidogi (Pokémon): This is kind of a token Pokémon pick. However he has a fun name and design.

Isaac (Golden Sun): Finally a sword character. Isaac has been a fan favorite and one of the most requested characters for a long time.

Master Chief (Halo): This would probably be the one to break the internet. The only one that could rival the hype from announcement of characters like Sonic, Snake and Cloud.

oH8e3IA.png

These would be my picks, based on the following:

• The company that owns their IP already has representation in Smash Bros.
  • I like these franchises a hell of a lot
  • I think they could all bring something new to the table in terms of moveset
  • They are popular picks that would likely sell well and would excite people
  • I like them :)
---

DOOM SLAYER
DOOM is the greatest FPS franchise of all time and DOOM Eternal in particular adds a lot to the character's arsenal. In addition to a litany of guns and projectiles, more recent DOOM games have implemented melee attacks, such as brutal glory kills (I can see these being implemented as throws), a glowing, red sword called The Crucible, and the Sentinel Hammer, a weapon used to stun enemies and make them vulnerable. I believe his moveset would focus primarily on shooting, but I think he would need to move in close to opponents in order to secure a kill with his Super Shotgun or various slow melee attacks.

His alt. costume is based on his original appearance on the box art for DOOM. Ideally, his stage would be based on the DOOM universe's depiction of Hell, but Nintendo may not want that sort of imagery... So I could see them using the base from DOOM 2016, or one of the various sci-fi fantasy inspired locations from Eternal.

---

PHOENIX WRIGHT
I think Phoenix would be this fighter pass' "underdog" character, similar to Terry and Min Min before him. This fits him perfectly; though most would argue that Dante or a Monster Hunter would be a more suitable Capcom pick, Phoenix shall rise from the ashes and claim a clutch victory. Also, I just really love Ace Attorney, okay?

His moveset would primarily be inspired by his appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, where he must build evidence for a strong case. However, I think his Smash Bros. appearance would give him a unique gimmick. His moves start off weaker and more focused on combos to deal damage, but as he starts to build more and more damage onto his "evidence meter" (literally building a case against his opponents, and visualized by the green Ace Attorney health bar) ,his moves gain more range and more damage, culminating in a full meter activating a temporary super mode where he can deal enormous damage. I picture it being like a mix of Terry and Joker, where he gains entirely new moves and properties as damage is dealt. To counter this, he loses a small amount of meter when damage is dealt to him, making him a high-risk-high-reward character that I honestly don't picture being very good in the hands of most players, but would be insane to watch on a high skill level.

His alt. costumes are based on his appearances in Apollo Justice, as well as Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. I had considered adding Edgeworth or Naruhodo here as alts, but I feel as though they would be more suited for echo fighters. His stage would be The Courtroom, a wide, walk-off stage where the walls and ceiling can collapse to resemble its appearance in Dual Destinies' final case, similar to the Mishima Dojo from Ultimate.

---

DR. EGGMAN
I don't really know what to say about Dr. Eggman; of course he is deserving of a spot, as he is, behind Bowser, perhaps gaming's most iconic villain. It is honestly kind of wild that he hasn't yet had any significant appearances in the Smash Bros. series beyond a few cameos. Dr. Eggman movesets have been made a million times before by people much better at it than me, but I imagine him as such: a fighter of various weights, he appears in his Floating Egg, barely above the ground, similar to Bowser Jr. To differentiate him from Bowser Jr, he has three different stances that his vehicle can move into, each of which changes his special moves only. However, a huge caveat comes from this: each of these forms can only withstand a certain amount of damage before it is destroyed and automatically swapped to the next one in order. After all of these are destroyed, Dr. Eggman is instantly KO'd. This makes him the first fighter in Smash Bros. history to be able to be KO'd by means other than being sent flying off-screen. This is not just a fun way to reference his gameplay from the classic Sonic series, but it's also a balance choice; his moveset is very versatile and very strong. His default is the Floating Egg, his most common vehicle throughout the series. This one would focus on laying traps and racking up damage. The second would be his Walker form from Sonic Adventure 2, which would he heavier, MUCH slower (like, slower than Incineroar's run speed slow), but focused on attacking from a range with a variety of guns. It would be easy to combo due to its size and weight, but the damage and range would allow for Eggman to secure kills if used properly. It has a boxing glove attack as its side special as a sort of "keep away" tool, but it is risky to use due to its long cooldown. The third form would be a melee-focused machine, an original Smash Bros. design. This one is quick, light, and difficult to kill with, but is useful for when you are being pressured and for mobility.

(I am fully willing to accept that this entire concept is way too crazy for Smash, but I do not care, I'm having fun here)

His alt. costume would be Eggman Nega, who I guess is supposed to be an alt dimension version of himself, or his great great great grandson or something. To be honest, I think they could easily make a Classic Dr. Eggman skin work with this moveset since most of his body is inside the Floating Egg, but I think it would look weird to have Classic Eggman as an option without also having Classic Sonic, so I dunno. His stage would be the Space Colony ARK from Sonic Adventure 2, in the room where he battles Tails. It would have destructable floors that could suck players into space, and it could have a short section where an escape pod opens in the center of the map, which players can attempt to force opponents into before it closes and jettisons directly into a star K.O, referencing a moment from that game.

---

JILL VALENTINE
The second Capcom pick for this set (sorry, but Capcom just makes a lot of good games, ok?). Jill Valentine would be my pick for a Resident Evil fighter; she is iconic, a much-needed female fighter, has a great design, and as per Smash tradition, appeared as one of the playable protagonists of the first game in her series. Her main design would be based on her starring role in Resident Evil 3's remake. I picture Jill being agile, almost like a mixture of Zero Suit Samus and Fox, but her moveset revolves around two concepts: precision, and survival. Her attacks, like Marth or any other character with a tipper, are much, much more powerful when she has time to line up a shot. In order to accomplish this, she has a variety of stuns and grapples she can use to get opponents into the proper positioning. I imagine most of her moveset to be about keeping opponents away as much as possible while building up chunks of damage, which then reveals a "weak point" onto their model. Once revealed, attacking (or, ideally, shooting) that weak point would deal insane damage.

Her alt. costumes are based on her appearances from Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 5's DLC episode, and her stage would be Raccoon City. Nemesis makes an appearance in this stage as a hazard that will occasionally appear and chase after and attack the player in the lead.

---

SOLAIRE OF ASTORA
Finally, we get to Solaire. I have been wanting a Souls character in Smash Bros. for some time now, and I think Solaire is the most logical inclusion. He is perhaps the most recognizable of the Dark Souls cast, and he is honestly just kind of a funny, goofy dude that would fit in really well. He has an amiibo already, which is sort of interesting. Anyway, Solaire would be a heavyweight fighter that uses a wide range of attacks; his primary attacks would be sword-based, but I like to think that Solaire would be unique in that he also has access to a wide range of interesting spells as well. You could picture him as a cross between Robin and Hero, but with more magic than Robin, and with less randomness than Hero. I have avoided giving specific movesets in these write-ups in favour of broad concepts, but I believe in this instance, it is important to include one: his side-B, which is a quick dodge roll that grants him invincibility frames and has a slew of mix-up options on its exit. Solaire's primary gameplay gimmick would be his retrieval system. For each K.O he secures, he gains Humanity, which he can use to snowball hard, each Humanity increasing his attack damage and defense (up to a limit). However, dying will remove one from his Humanity count, which he can recover on his next stock by defeating the opponent that K.O'd him. This means that Solaire will be at his weakest at the start of a match, but at his strongest toward the end, while also rewarding him greatly for learning their opponent and playing well (as is the spirit of the Souls franchise). If I could make a thesis statement for Solaire, it would be "to treat each fight like a boss encounter," a character that performs best when he is absolutely destroying his opponent, but performs weak when he is the one being destroyed.

Solaire, like Steve and Sora before him, would have a litany of alt costumes in order to more fully represent his franchise. His costumes are: the Elite Knight set from Dark Souls 1, the Catarina set from Dark Souls 1, the Faraam set from Dark Souls 2, and the Firelink set from Dark Souls 3. The other costumes would be recolours of these outfits. Additionally, the recoloured alt for Solaire would include the Sunlight Maggot on his head, as a sort of "half-alt" costume, and the other recolour for him would be a brilliant, transparent gold, representing his appearance when he is summoned as an ally in the Souls games. His stage would be Anor Londo, the gimmick of which are rotating staircases which change the geometry of the field, and features cameos from Dark Souls enemies in the background. Realistically, I would love to include something from Elden Ring as well, but I am not sure that they would count it as the same IP as Dark Souls despite their similarities, so I decided not to include it.

uv6bSU8.gif

1. Haruka Amami
As we can all agree the Super Smash Bros. series has a huge hole in it. People have been asking for ages now, how can a game that is home to some of the most famous characters in gaming not have one of the most classic videogame characters, up there with the likes of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, Haruka Amami? Well, this would be the perfect time to finally fulfil the wishes of the people. Let's go over the facts shall we 1. the biggest absentee in Smash bar none. 2. if Pac-Man is the 80s Bamco arcade rep and Kazuya the 90s Bamco arcade rep then Haruka would be the 00s Bamco arcade rep. It's like an idol song, it rhymes. 3. Smash needs more idols. 4. who wouldn't want to fight with the power of song and dance? I could go on, but what's the point; you already agree with me.

tumblr_ndpawnSWKp1qeie3mo1_500.gif

2. Karate Joe
Yo, Mr. Glasses at Nintendo - where's the Rhythm Tengoku love? This is a Nintendo game so we can't forget to include actual Nintendo characters here so let's show some respect for this series. As all five people here who played the series from the beginning know, Karate Joe has been there from the get go - literally, as their mini game was the first one. Some people try to argue he's boring cos he's just a generic karate guy, but those people are nincompoops and should never be listened to. If you ever cross their path call the police. You're telling me a monocoloured character whose face is 50% nose who summons barrels and light bulbs from who knows where is generic? What kind of karate school did you attend?

l2lHi8N.gif

3. TwinBee
Did you know Sakurai basically inserted TwinBee in his own game - look up Capsule J from Kirby's Fun Pak. If that doesn't tell you the man desires TwinBee then I don't know what else I can tell you. And if you don't desire TwinBee what's wrong with you? It's a cute looking mech that can shoot, punch and hit things with a hammer. Also, remember that rather shoddy Smash clone published by Hudson - we already got Snake and Simon Belmont from there and you know who else was a Konami rep in that game? I'm writing this in a paragraph about TwinBee so I think it's pretty obvious who I'm referring to.

Sena_still2.png

4. Sena
She's the gal with the gall!

ZsMZy4V.jpg

5. Mister Magician
"Who in the blazes is this?", I hear you ask. Well first read this blog post about it. Now you've got some context, why some random old Nintendo toy? Because it would be fun to see some pre-videogame Nintendo love in Smash. Now I hear you ask, "then why not Hanafuda?" Well Hanafuda are just cards and it's hard to imagine that as a fighter whereas a magician is a person which is a lot easier to imagine. Secondly, what do magicians use? That's right cards. Bam! There's your Hanafuda reference right there. Thirdly, what do magicians do? That's right, magic. And with magic you can summon things. Summon things like other old Nintendo toys. Boom. Mister Magician can encapsulate Nintendo's entire toy lineup. This idea is so genius I frankly deserve a medal for it.

1. Bomberman (Bomberman)

Seriously, how is he not in? How are you all not on the same page?

2. Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)

Sakurai has always wanted James Bond in. This is the next best thing.

And the last three would imo be the biggest heavy hitters.

3. Master Chief (Halo)
4. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
5. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

1) Crash Bandicoot. He was basically the playstation mascot in the 90s, and I'd really like to complete the 90s mascot trifecta between Nintendo (Mario), Sega (Sonic), and Crash (Playstation). Two out of three 90s icons feels like a pillar is missing. I think his aesthetic and gameplay lend themselves well to Smash too. Plus, he's got games on Switch now.

D44rM22.gif

2) Doomslayer. Both historically quite significant, and still relevant with newer games in recent times. First Person Shooters were first called Doom Clones, hes practically Master Chief's dad and CoD's grandfather. Several companies and universities had to ban the game because their networks were crashing from load, one of the greatest landmarks of gaming history. Plus, thanks to the more recent games, he has a large moveset to pull from that's more than just shootin guns., like grapples and flamethrowers and grabs, all kinds of stuff. And everyone wants to see him reunited with Isabelle. All the Doom games are also on Switch.

j5dL8dnl.jpg
llNG2nwm.jpg

3) Yoshimitsu. He's kind of a fighting game crossover character already. He's in Tekken. He's in Soul Calibur. He's in Street Fighter X Tekken. Keep his travels going, let's get him in Smash. He fought Link in SC2, it's time for a rematch. It's his 30th birthday, and he's quite popular and still featured in new releases. I petition for Yoshimitsu to be in every fighting game ever, thank you. Transcending history and the world, make both Tekken and Soul Calibur fans happy at the same time!

uERcVzn.gif
7NdRRsa.jpeg

4) Phantom Ganon (TotK). I figure we need a first party character in here. There's not a whole lot of big first party stuff on the calendar right now as nintendo seems to be gearing up for the next console and is keeping their secrets, so instead I look to recent hits like TotK. Interesting aesthetic, lots of cool moves available. He could put the Gloom Hands to use for strong tilt attacks, throw gloom projectiles, a quick sword dash, all kinds of stuff inspired by the game. I've been wanting a more demonic form of Ganon in the game for a while.

Zxwg9b7l.jpeg

5) Tetris block. The legend. Always gotta have a swerve character. How is that gonna work? My best friend Masahiro Sakurai is a genius and will figure it out I'm sure. Probably will have a mean down B. (What I would really like to suggest is MissingNo/Glitch Pokemon but I doubt that's even on the table.)

Last edited:
My pitch is back to basics. All first party characters, prominent on Switch, no complicated moveset gimmicks.

1. Toad (Toadette)
2. Tom Nook
3. Octoling
4. Raven Beak
5. Oatchi & Shepherd

1. CJ ~ Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Stage: Grove Street - Mii costumes: Big Smoke, Tommy Vercetti, Claude, Niko Bellic, Trevor Philips

2. Arthur Morgan/John Marston ~ Red Dead Redemption Series - Stage: Valentine or Braithwaite Manor - Mii Costumes: Micah Bell, Dutch van der Linde (RDR1), Jack Marston (RDR1), Sadie Adler, Red Harlow

3. M. Bison (SF2/SF5) ~ Street Fighter Series - Stage: Temple Hideout - Mii Costumes: Chun-li, Zangief, Yun, Yang, Juri

4. Kunio-Kun ~ River City Ransom - Stage: Cross Town High School - Mii Costumes: Riki, Slick, Kyoko, Misako, Sol Badguy

5. Poochy ~ Yoshi Series - Stage: Crafted World Stage - Mii Costumes: (Nintendo related) Andy, Captain Rainbow, Ayumi Tachibana, Ashley Robbins, Elite Beat Agents.

Realistically I think (like Sakurai)...
1 - Crash Bandicoot
2 - Alear (Fire Emblem)
3 - Mio (Xenoblade)
4 - Dr. Eggman (Sonic)
5 - Geno (Super Mario RPG)

5. Mister Magician
I'm totally loving what you're thinking with all these characters that absolutely nobody's even heard of!

1. Brave Fencer Musashi.
Yes, he's a Purple haired swordsman but he'd represent a old-school PS1 action RPG's. He'd also have a unique moveset for a swords man, Instead of shielding, he'd do his block from "Brave Fencer Musashi" which only blocks from the front and charges his power gauge. A fully charged power gauge can be used either for a slow-but powerful-counter, his spin attack, or to activate one of his elemental scrolls or, to activate fusion. His "fusion" ability would function similar to Kirby's copy.

That's all I got at the moment, honestly.

I'm so glad that my best friend Masahiro Sakurai has come to me for guidance. I have the perfect recommendations, and he would probably agree.

1. Skull Kid

My personal bias of a newcomer, Skull Kid represents a well-loved and iconic Zelda entry with a very popular character. Skull Kid is a beloved character that with some imagination can be brought to life as a unique fighter. No licensing required.

2. Bomberman

Bomberman's icon status has lowered but I still think he's important and iconic. He was important enough to bring in as a special Mii Fighter costume but not being able to throw bombs makes me sad. Bomberman with a moveset that pulls from Bomberman Hero and 64, Generations, and more would be great.

3. Chibi-Robo

The difference between Skull Kid and Chibi-Robo is that Cheebs got an amiibo. With Zip Lash being a commercial failure, it is Sakurai's destiny to use his powers for good and bring a star Nintendo IP back into the spotlight. No licensing required.

4. Spyro and/ or Crash Bandicoot

Now with Microsoft owning these characters who have worked with Nintendo on bringing Steve and Banjo to Smash, who now both have entries on the Switch itself, while also being iconic mascot characters of the early 90s... these characters would fit right in.

5. Here me out.... a dream idea.... Gengar

I worked on this idea that came to me once. Gengar would be the star of the show, but this character is more than Gengar. He serves as a proxy for many ghost-type Pokémon who are all summoned and become Gengar's attacks. In some cases, he'll swap out with a Pokémon for a move. I even drew this moveset to explain!

882pnJ8.jpeg

Last edited:
1 - Meowscarada (Pokémon) - New Pokémon rep and getting another grass type would be cool.

2 - Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You) - Square enix rep, would probably play like an advanced ice climbers/rosalina and luma. The original game was exclusive to DS as is the latest remake on Switch.

3 - Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)- Fighting game rep. With the rise in popularity the series got with Strive Sol could promote a Strive Switch 2 port.

4 - Klonoa (Klonoa: Door to Phantomile)- Bandai Namco rep. A platformer series with gameplay focused on grabbing your enemies should work well in smash.

5 - Quote (Cave Story) - the perfect indie rep. Either just him or paired with Curly(maybe as a skin or echo fighter at least).

(Being a bit more realistic number 5 would be Alear from Fire Emblem Engage, there to promote Engage Warriors)

1. Kunio from Kunio-Kun series
    • How are there still no characters from a side-scrolling beat ‘em up after all this time? I feel like smash takes a lot of inspiration from this genre so it’s weird that no reps come from one. Also the character has a long history with Nintendo and fits a punk/delinquent archetype that hasn’t been seen in Smash. The series is still relevant and fairly popular today and was even recently featured in a Spirit Event. This is way overdue if you ask me.
  2. Impa from Legend of Zelda series
    • A long running character from a venerated game series that could really use a new rep. There’s no other Zelda character who deserves it more imo.
  3. Shiren from Shiren the Wanderer series
    • Another character from a long running series with close ties to Nintendo. This series is still relevant today, especially in Japan, with a new release just a few weeks ago. There are also no samurai/ronin type characters playable in smash(except maybe Sephiroth?) so this would bring a different type of aesthetic to a roster that is flooded with characters that are too similar imo.
  4. Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog series
    • The reasoning for this one is simple. Sonic without Tails is like Mario without Luigi. I see people asking for Shadow and I think that’s pure nonsense. I guess I’d be ok with Knuckles too, but I see him as more of an echo than a full blown newcomer. Anyone else would be a big mistake to me.
  5. Shantae from Shantae series
    • A fairly popular request that I can totally get behind. She’s spunky and has a brand of cartoony energy that would be cool to see translated to Smash bros. Her hair based attacks and various genie based powers and items from her home games could make for an interesting moveset. Also her series is one of the most notable indie titles out there and they definitely need some love.
Some runners up
  • Quote or Curly from Cave Story
  • Rayman from well, Rayman
  • Dr.Wily from Mega Man
  • Reimu from Touhou
  • Axel from Streets of Rage
  • New Pokémon Trainer with Scorbunny, Floragato, and Greninja

Last edited:
image.png

Yes, bad MS Paint skills, hoozah!
I already posted a top 5 here, but I wanted to show you all my wishlist I made over the years ago. Although, my top 5 is actually the top 5, I would be glad to see any of these characters.
Like, I don't know if Mewtwo can be considered to be the villain of the Pokemon series in Smash, but otherwise, I really like to see Giovanni in there, especially with the Team Rocket Mii Fighters. Or let the MOTHER series get another rep, like The Masked Man. And while the first Indie rep could be Shovel Knight, I'd like to represent the Among Us Impostor or Boggy B from the Worms series. And as for now, I'm playing Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection for the first time, and I begin to think that Ezio Auditore would also be a fine addition.

This is tough to limit to 5. Even if I were to stick to Nintendo 1st/2nd party I still have like at least 7-8 picks.

1. Sami (Advance Wars)
Sami_FullBody-e1684973408857.png

Poor AW never gets any love. :( As the infantry specialist, Sami best represents the combat of the series, she looks like she's probably seen live combat firsthand.

2. Dixie Kong
profile-dk-dixiekong.7bf2a8f2.aead314d58b63e27.png

Dixie's been weirdly overlooked by Nintendo. K. Rool. got in SSBU instead of her & Funky Kong got into MK8D instead of her even I feel she's more deserving than both of them.

3. Captain Toad
CI_NSwitch_CaptainToadTreasureTracker_Labo_Toad.png

I seriously thought he'd be a shoe-in after getting his own game. Peach & Daisy can definitely use new neutral Bs anyway.

4. Ravenbeak (Metroid Dread)
D675CD2D-9690-429B-8A8B-BAA5D3AA7360.png

1 of the best new villains Nintendo had in quite some time.

5. Krystal
kg7UoeW.jpeg

(boy, it took a good minute or 2 to find a SFW pic of her). Krystal is probably the one viable SF character who would actually have a distinct moveset instead of being a Fox remix. Her AT certainly seemed to hint that she was in consideration at one point.

BONUS 1. Like any Zelda character that isn't a Link, Zelda, or slower Captain Falcon
zelda-characters-green-header.jpg

The way LoZ has been represented in the series is.......peculiar to say the least. No new fighters since Brawl, & that one was a 3rd Link. Plus Ganondorf continues to have a moveset based on the F-Zero guy. Why this series never gets any new blood I'll never understand. Put in Impa, put in Tingle, put in even just 1 of the champions.

BONUS 2. A human from Pokemon that does their own fighting.
Bea_anime.png

I know I'm alone on this one, but I've long wanted to see a human from the Pokemon franchise throw hands in Smash. I used to even speculate how Red would work as such: items like bicycle, escape rope, poke balls, poke dolls,fishing rods, & Safari Zone rocks could all work as potential specials. Past that, pretty much every trainer who specializes in fighting type pokemon are themselves martial artists so theorically any one of them could throw down. Naturally Bea from Sword/Shield is the likely front runner. She's even shown brawling with a Machamp & Rhydon!

BONUS 3. Captain N The Game Master
challenger_approaches___captain_n_the_game_master__by_mcgillustrator_dd5r3pf-fullview.jpg

Unironically my #1 most wanted for the entirety of SSB's existence. Like his show was basically SSB a decade before SSB. & most of his teammates in now in SSBU. And don't you dare give me any lip about how he's ineligible for Smash due to being a cartoon character. That rule was intended for 3rd party selections, not 1st. I have it on good authority that Captain N is in fact owned by Nintendo. But I suppose I'll put him in the bonus category because of his origin.

As for 3rd parties, I don't even know where to start. Too many good ones to count!

1. Lloyd Irving
Tales of Symphonia was the first Tales game to break out in the West and remains one of the best-liked entries, particularly with the Nintendo crowd. Lloyd's the natural rep for the series as a whole for that reason and the fact that he'd be a two-sword wielder whose moveset could be lifted straight from the games. Beast, Demon Fang, Tiger Blade, Sonic Thrust, and his HI-Ougi Falcon's Crest for a Smash attack.

Also there's a 1% chance it shames Bamco into putting more effort into the Switch versions of their games. Or makes them port games in the first place. :rolleyes:

2. The Ring Fit Hero
The game was a riot and the design was fun. Pick a few outfits, male a female, pick a few arm and leg techniques for the normal attacks and different ones for specials that summon the body parts you smack enemies with in RFA. A match made in fitness heaven.

3. Heropon Riki
The only nopon rep Smash has is two spirits and Tora cameoing on Rex's stage. I will not stand for nopon erasure anymore. Cycle the elemental fire/ice/poison attacks on neutral special, the Sneaky! backstab attack on side special, a self-buff like Incineroar on down-special, a flying upwards cannonball on up-special, and four wing-boosted jumps. Final Smash is the Ponspectors from Future Conencted, OR a Chain Attack with Reyn and Melia.

4. Meowscarda
I actually prefer Skeledirge as a starter but we have fire and water starter reps so lets round out the group with the grass-cat.

5. Toothpaste-kun/chan from Fire Emblem Engage
There's going to be another FE rep we might as well just put it on the list and get used to the idea.

Back
Top Bottom