• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Pitch a 5 character lineup for a hypothetical Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighters Pass Vol. 3

1. Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy/Albert Wesker/Nemesis
Resident Evil feels like the biggest omission as far as (big) 3rd party franchises go in Smash, and like Snake I think you could pretty easily work around their reliance on realistic firearms to still get something faithful to the series down for a moveset. If it's really too hard to craft something up for Jill/Leon then I think RE's a series that can also be represented by its villains fairly well, so Wesker or Nemesis could fill the role pretty well.

2. Travis Touchdown
Honestly shocked he wasn't in Ultimate as a character (though I guess he's a Mii costume/got a spirit event, but still). Pretty easy to think up a moveset for them, only thing you'd have to keep in mind is their swearing but like Snake/Bayonetta I don't think it'd be too egregious.

3. Arle/Puyo Puyo
Like RE-representing the horror genre, I think we need a character representing the puzzle genre and Dr. Mario being a Mario-clone doesn't really cut it. She could use some more typical magic/sword moves to represent her earliest games but then have puyo's as her specials/final smash.

4. Rayman or Crash
Eh-ing towards Rayman due to Ubisoft/Nintendo connection and just preferring the series in general, but Crash is a bigger IP. Either way another platformer western IP to go alongside Banjo wouldn't hurt.

5. Skull Kid/Midna/Impa/Tetra/Sidon/you get the point
Zelda representation mostly sucks in Smash lmao.

EDIT: Fuck I forgot Dr. Eggman and Chun-li, make 'em runner ups or something. Sonic and Street Fighter feel like the biggest pre-existing 3rd parties who'd deserve a unique 2nd rep after Final Fantasy got Sephiroth.

I'm going to go with pure fanboyism over logic, interest or economic and marketing reality!

1. Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei), because as an ATLUS fan I need my amiibo
2. Pocky & Rocky (Pocky & Rocky), because they're my favorite duo
3. Ulala (Space Channel 5), because we need more Rhythm Games representation
4. The Knight (Hollow Knight), because they're my favorite indie hero
5. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney), because he fights for the people and should have been there for ages!
I love the Pocky and Rocky idea. Really cool games and the shrine maiden look schtick would be really unique.

1. Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil
2. Shovel Knight from...Shovel Knight
3. Doomguy from Doom
4. Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes
5. Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden

Ultimate version:
  • Dixie Kong
  • Edelgard
  • Tails
  • Crash
  • Ratchet

First Party Only:
  • Dixie Kong
  • Daruk
  • Ghirahim
  • Edelgard
  • Geno

Third Party Only:
  • Master Chief
  • Tails
  • Rayman
  • Crash
  • Ratchet

Nintendo characters:
1. Oatchi
2. Labo robot who transforms

3rd party characters:
3. Bomberman
4. Monster Hunter character (I know nothing about MH)
5. Among Us dude

Ayumi Tachibana - Famicom Detective Club (Nintendo)
Fairly traditional character, as if she was created back in the Melee days when Sakurai first thought about adding her. Her side special drops a cup of coffee that makes the opponent fall asleep, based on when she drugs the protagonist in FDC2. Her ultimate would obviously be the climax of FDC 2 : Ayumi against the mirror, the opponent(s) whom you have hit with the ultimate are dangerously approaching her... Before the mirror behind exploads, revealing The Girl Who Stands Behind.

Stage : Ushumitsu High School. (Travelling stage. Starts at the main gate, goes to the back yard, then inside the school, in the teacher room...)

Jill Valentine - Resident Evil (Capcom)
The gimmick of the character would be some light inventory management. Neutral special is using whichever weapon is equiped. You change weapons with down special (which opens a tiny window on top of your character, in which you need to navigate in order to chose the weapon), and each weapon has limited ammo, which fills up as time goes on. Pistol would fill up faster, while the bazooka would fill up really slowly. Weapons would be a pistol, a shotgun, a bazooka, and an herb that gives some %/PV back.
Ultra would have Jill use the heavy railgun from the final boss of RE3make.

Stage : Raccoon City Police Station. Nemesis and Tyrant show up from time to time. You can't beat them, they're invincible. Doing a lot of damage to them stun them for a bit. After a while of running after the fighters, they disappear.

2B - Nier Automata (Square Enix)
Fast paced character with great recovery. Some of the specials would be based on the pod and they write themselves. Neutral would be the drone firing his gatling to put pressure. Up special would be very similar to Snake's, but with the pod.
Ultra would be similar in how it works to Captain Falcon's : 2B calls her flying mech and whoever gets hit by it is getting blasted in the Ultra's cinematic, which would show the mech firing at the opponents, before using the arm of the Goliath as a sword like in said boss fight.

Stage : Amusement Park. The stage is set on the roller coaster, flying robots that shoot at the fighters come every now and then (a single medium attack is enough to make them fly away)

Solaire of Astora - Dark Souls (Bandai Namco)
Heavy character. Neutral special would be drinking the estus flask. Gives back a bit of health, but you only have 2. Can't have them back unless you die. Would have an undead mechanic. Basically, the character is either underpowered, or overpowered. Losing a stock means you become an undead : you take more damage. But taking a stock from someone restore your humanity and you now take less damage until losing another stock. Would have some faith spell as side special.
Ultra would be Solaire summoning other key characters from Dark Souls (with the animation of when other players/ai companions get summoned in the game), and they all beat the shit of the opponents.

Stage : Anor Londo. Fairly regular stage. I imagine it would be the outside, on the big elevator, with the big castle in the background. Could transition from the Anor Londo's from Dark Souls 1 (hot colors, sunset) to the one from Dark Souls 3 (cold colors, at night, covered in ashes)

Reimu - Touhou Project (Team Shanghai Alice)
A full on bullet hell character. Just flood the screen with magic bullets fired from Reimu's Yin Yang orbs. Haven't thought much of the specifics of the character, a bullet hell character would just be a fun challenge for Sakurai to adapt I bet.
Ultra would be one of Reimu's spell cards (which are essentially the bosses' fucked up big ass patterns in Touhou, with the screen flooded by bullets and spheres and knives and whatnot), not sure which one is her most iconic one.

Stage : Hakurei Shrine. Would transition from the shrine to the cosmos for an epic showdown.

Suprise bonus sixth character :
Wolverine - Marvel vs Capcom (Marvel)

It's just Wolverine from Marvel vs Capcom because why the fuck not. Greatest fighting game character ever needs to be rep in Smash !

Stage : Danger Room. Hazards happen every now and then, and the metalic room setting of the stage change exactly like in Children of the Atom : Jungle, Ocean, Space. Charles Xavier, Cyclops and Jean Gray can be seen behind the window of the room, watching the fight.

Paper Mario
Flat-out awesome: he's made of wood!
Lightest character in the game

Metal Mario
Logical counterpart to Paper Mario, also he was in Mario Golf 64, so, long overdue.
Heaviest character in the game

Invisible Mario
Can't have Metal Mario without the other awesome power-up from Mario 64!
Most suicidal character in the game

Chris Pratt Mario
Obviously
He can also pet dinosaurs, so Bowser is lame z-tier again.
So coolest character in the game

Slim tall evil purple Mario
I don't know, wasn't very inspired for the last one

Noah/Mio (Xenoblade 3) - Put a weapon swap mechanic, a Lucky Seven 'Limit Break', an Ouroboros Final Smash and we're gold
Ryza (Atelier Ryza 1/2/3) - KT modern rep with an alchemy mechanic. Put materials on the ground and Neutral-B to synthetize them for various attack/buff/debuff itens mid-battle. Skins: Ryza 1, Ryza 2, Ryza 3, Klaudia, Marie, Ayesha, Sophie, (insert one).
Chun-Li (Street Fighter) - The First Lady of games, period.
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) - Best Resident Evil rep and already has MvsC2 moveset to build on.
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) - One of the most iconic characters missing in Smash. Bow, dual guns and acrobatics for her moveset.

I have too many choices to narrow it down to just five, so I’m gonna say screw the rules, I’m giving two options: one focused on semi-clones of various degrees, and another featuring all unique fighters—but only three of them—with two new stages (without fighters) in addition to those. We’ve already had two Fighters Passes, after all—let a potential third one be a bit easier to develop! (Not that a third Fighters Pass for Ultimate would ever actually happen, of course.)

Semi-clone (not Echo) Fighters Pass:
1. Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog) - Semi-clone of Sonic. He’ll be able to use his tails, naturally. The Sonic series really needs a second fighter, and Tails is the obvious choice for that.
2. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong) - Semi-clone of Diddy Kong. She uses her hair, of course.
3. Octoling (Splatoon) - Semi-clone of Inkling. Will share many moves with Inkling, but will also mix up some with other weapons that aren’t already represented in Inkling’s moveset.
4. Ring Fit Trainee (Ring Fit Adventure) - Shares some moves with Wii Fit Trainer, but is largely unique.
5. Pikmin & Oachi (Pikmin) - Semi-clone of Pikmin & Olimar/Alph in that both will use Pikmin in a similar fashion and share the same special moves, but their normal moves are entirely different.

Unique Fighters + Stages Pass:
1. Magolor (Kirby) - As much as I’d love to see Bandana Waddle Dee, I think Magolor is more likely to get into Smash at this point. Moveset would be largely based on his moveset from Star Allies / Kirby Fighters 2 / Magolor Epilogue.
2. Sportsmate (Nintendo Switch Sports) - At last, a true rep for Wii/Nintendo Switch Sports! They’ll use various sports equipment to attack, and will have a variety of appearances like much like Villager and Inkling.
3. Meowscarada (Pokémon) - Grass. Magician.
4. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 stage
5. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom stage
…or, alternatively, in place of #4 and #5…Noah and Mio (Xenoblade Chronicles) - I really don’t see this happening, because I feel these two just don’t translate well to Smash (much like how Sakurai had to give up on a Rex & Pyra/Mythra tag team and opt for just Pyra/Mythra by themselves instead), and they’d have to come as a package deal on top of that (I really can’t see them adding just Noah or Mio alone, especially since they couldn’t become Ouroboros like that), so yeah… Honestly, if Xenoblade Chronicles X is getting a remaster and/or sequel, I could see them choosing Elma over anyone from XC3, lol.

I’d give more detailed descriptions and reasons for choosing each, but I don’t really have the energy to write more than that right now.
I came in here and you said basically everything I was going to, but better. 👏

Since a lot if good potential fighters have already been mentioned and im late to the thread, im just gonna pitch in my personal pick for a Xenoblade fighter if there ever were anymore characters from Xenoblade introduced into Smash Ultimate/Smash.

My number 1 uncontested pick for a brand spankin new Xenoblade fighter in Smash is definitely Matthew from Future Redeemed. The fist fighting, hot-headed, cocky goofball jackass with colourful language, mr "definitely-not-fei-from-Xenogears". I love how different they are from any other character in the series, so I would love to see such a radically different character put into Smash over the more obvious picks. I would love for them to be in Smash for many reasons, but my primary one being that he's a fist fighter. For once I want to see a Xenoblade character that isnt a swordnfighter with weird mechanics, i just kinda want a cookie cutter cool character thats good ol bread and butter smooth fist fighting.

If Matthew is also going to reflect the future of the Xenoblade series better depending on where its headed, i also think he would be more worth adding over Noah and Mio personally.

Nintendo-only:
1. Mach Rider
2. Zeke and Pandoria
3. Alear
4. Tinkaton
5. Waluigi

Third Party-only
1. Master Chief
2. Guybrush Threepweed
3. Karnov
4. Neptune/Purple Heart
5. Ryu Hayabusa