• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Physint - A new action-espionage game from Kojima Productions

awfully optimistic, don't ya think? 2034, take it or leave it.
I have an inkling they'll be using the Death Stranding engine, so there's a possibility this game could come out sooner. DS is already a game with stealth elements, they'd just need to MGS it all up.

Lb0sB4N.jpg

I have an inkling they'll be using the Death Stranding engine, so there's a possibility this game could come out sooner. DS is already a game with stealth elements, they'd just need to MGS it all up.
Yeah. DS1 only took 3 years (2016->2019) so they could be efficient with it.

2 is taking longer (5-6 years) but Kojima is also balancing another project with OD.

When I see how incredibly talented Kojima is, how creative he is, it makes me all the more sad to see him give so much importance to narrative aspects that he's incredibly bad at. It's like Jordan only talking about baseball. Except that Jordan was much better at baseball than Kojima was at writing dialogue.

he's not saying there's a game AND a movie being made - he's saying in terms of look, story, theme, cast, acting, fashion and sound it is film quality in an interactive game. Given he basically says this is a PS6 game - this is implying Avatar-esque photorealism etc... not "its a movie" or anything like OD

When I see how incredibly talented Kojima is, how creative he is, it makes me all the more sad to see him give so much importance to narrative aspects that he's incredibly bad at. It's like Jordan only talking about baseball. Except that Jordan was much better at baseball than Kojima was at writing dialogue.
I feel his dialogue took a big hit after Tomokazu Fukushima stopped being a co-writer on MGS. He left after MGS3 and starting with 4 you can see the decline. Fukushima also wrote Ghost Babel which is great!

Still always down for whatever Kojima is cooking up, but hard to really know what this will look like. We won't know for years either!

Definitely interested in this. Death Stranding was my first ever Kojima game and it made me a fan. I tried to finally play Metal Gear Solid last month with the MGS Collection on Xbox, but the port is so darn bad I quit after the first little section.

he calls it "next-generation" and its not starting dev til after Death Stranding 2 and from his description of it, it seems to be pushing tech way beyond PS5 probably something along the lines of the Enemies tech demo

Guess ill be playing PS5 games on my PS6, alongside Physint lol

There is one single thing I trust Kojima to do to the nines, aces, better than the rest- and thatā€™s design a fun environment for espionage action to occur in.

Iā€™m interested in that alone, very much so!

There's gonna be a game and a movie.
Not exactly. Well, there could be a multi media plan, but as of right now, only a game has been announced.

Kojima just meant that it aims to have the interactivity of a video game, and the direction and production of a film. (It's not different than what Kojima has always aimed to do ever since Metal Gear Solid, really)

It's mostly big words to tell us to expect some pure MGS batshit crazy cutscenes, and probably even more

awfully optimistic, don't ya think? 2034, take it or leave it.
Kojima doesn't seem to be bad at planning development.

Remember when people thought Death Stranding would be for sure a 2021 game, and it ended up releasing in 2019, only 3 years after entering full production in a newly funded company ?

He's already pre-producing it, meaning it'll be ready to hit full prod as soon at Death Stranding 2 releases next year. A 2030 release sounds about right.

Kojima doesn't seem to be bad at planning development.

Remember when people thought Death Stranding would be for sure a 2021 game, and it ended up releasing in 2019, only 3 years after entering full production in a newly funded company ?

He's already pre-producing it, meaning it'll be ready to hit full prod as soon at Death Stranding 2 releases next year. A 2030 release sounds about right.
Just in time to be a PS6 Slim launch title

astounding that Kojima spent many years trying to stop working on Metal Gear, only for Sony to randomly throw him into a spiritual successor. (i'd assume the fact he'd also get to make a movie was what lead him to change his mind.)

to briefly recap, Konami originally revealed that MGS4 would not be directed by him. but he hastily got thrown back on after severe backlash. then Peace Walker almost made it through (the fact it was initially PSP exclusive likely lead people to believe it was a spin-off) without his involvement, but Kojima stepped in because he thought the younger staff was having trouble writing the game's themes of nuclear deterrence. and it took him getting kicked out of the company during the development of V to finally make original games again.

astounding that Kojima spent many years trying to stop working on Metal Gear, only for Sony to randomly throw him into a spiritual successor. (i'd assume the fact he'd also get to make a movie was what lead him to change his mind.)

to briefly recap, Konami originally revealed that MGS4 would not be directed by him. but he hastily got thrown back on after severe backlash. then Peace Walker almost made it through (the fact it was initially PSP exclusive likely lead people to believe it was a spin-off) without his involvement, but Kojima stepped in because he thought the younger staff was having trouble writing the game's themes of nuclear deterrence. and it took him getting kicked out of the company during the development of V to finally make original games again.
I suspect his issue was with Metal Gear and not action espionage stories/concepts/games as a whole

I suspect his issue was with Metal Gear and not action espionage stories/concepts/games as a whole
I think his issue was Konami limiting him to work with Metal Gear Solid, which is why a lot of ideas he wanted to work on original games, he ended up implementing them throughout the franchise.

It's kinda ironic that he wanted to escape MGS, only to sorta come back, but after developing several non-MGS games, I think he feels in a better position. Especially now that he has demonstrated he can spearhead several projects at the same time.

And let's highlight the importance of having a company that actually supports your vision, rather than thwarting it.

It's a shame Konami kicked KojiPro out. The Fox Engine feels like something they could have used a lot of potential.

I think his issue was Konami limiting him to work with Metal Gear Solid, which is why a lot of ideas he wanted to work on original games, he ended up implementing them throughout the franchise.

It's kinda ironic that he wanted to escape MGS, only to sorta come back, but after developing several non-MGS games, I think he feels in a better position. Especially now that he has demonstrated he can spearhead several projects at the same time.

And let's highlight the importance of having a company that actually supports your vision, rather than thwarting it.

It's a shame Konami kicked KojiPro out. The Fox Engine feels like something they could have used a lot of potential.
Well yeah Konami are wrapped up in Metal Gear, though I think its pretty clear he had other ideas he wanted to pursue beyond the limitations of that IP.

But yeah my point is espionage action does not necessarily equal Metal Gear and there's many ways he can do something different with that genre - he's very meta and self referential of course, so there will be traces, as there are in Death Stranding, but I suspect the main character/premise etc... will be very different to Snake and Metal Gear.

I just think its a bit simplistic to say bc he's doing a spy game he's somehow being forced back into the Metal Gear saltmines after fighting so hard to escape them - the genre is extremely broad. I certainly don't think Sony forced him into doing it, even if Hermen may have "encouraged" him, I'm sure he wanted to do this himself.

People thinking 2030 is optimistic...why?
Kojima production became independent 2015, announced da 2016, released it 2019.
To me that's at most 4 years for a highly polished AAA game.
I could see this release in 4 years, so 2028, if preproduction is already substantial.

I love MGS, but to say that things got a tad overstuffed over the years is, well, underselling it lol. I can totally see why starting fresh on the lore etc would appeal massively to Kojima. Looks cool!

Kojima revolutionizing game announcements now. First, there were detailed trailers. Then, the industry moved to a movie-trailers with title drops. Next, they just had title/logo drops. Now, there is no trailer, or even a logo; it's just a camera on him being like "hey guys working on a game now peace out."

Physint doesn't sound nearly as cool as Metal Gear Solid or Death Stranding imo but maybe it could still change considering it hasn't even started development yet.

I always thought Kojima ā€œgetting tired of Metal Gearā€ meant moreso from a story/lore standpoint, not the genre of the game. Having to continue a story that you thought you were done telling, finding new ways to shoehorn stuff in. I can see how that would be exhausting.

I think the new espionage game could have a very different vibe than MGS and tackle different themes.

If Kojima didn't want to work on Metal Gear, he could have just...you know, not. He was a Vice President at the peak of his career at Konami and had more control over the direction of the video game division than people seem to realize or remember.

And the power struggles around MGSV were largely born out of Kojima going Full Hollywood and wrapping dozens of millions of dollars into one project while the rest of the division was either left with smaller budgets or shuffled into the mobile game or amusement/gambling departments.

So I'm not especially surprised he's making Metal Gear with the serial numbers filed off at his own studio, nor that he's pushing for a movie project at the same time.

None of this absolves the rest of Konami leadership in their share of their internal feuding or demeaning tactics. But Kojima was far from a martyr.

Iā€™m happy for his success but seeing the major players courting him, then using only his presence on stage as a major event for games that arenā€™t remotely ready to talk about, is just so so dumb.

Last edited:
I kinda thought Death Stranding was already his replacement Metal Gear, but I guess Sony was probably like "we need MGS associated with our brand, we tried hitting up Konami but they definitely won't make new games!".

I look forward to getting a new Boktai and ZoE some time next decade.

I kinda thought Death Stranding was already his replacement Metal Gear,
I don't think that was ever his intention. He wanted to create a new type of video game genre: Social Strand. And he even confirmed a sequel since forever: you need more than one game to define a genre.

Also, the only thing Metal Gear-ish of Death Stranding is the sneaking gameplay and close quarters combat, and the Director's Cut version furthers that.

but I guess Sony was probably like "we need MGS associated with our brand, we tried hitting up Konami but they definitely won't make new games!".
Guess the Snake Eater Remake is a one off thing.

I look forward to getting a new Boktai
Yees!! I wonder if those will come to the NSO?

nd ZoE some time next decade.
Never played it, nor Policenauts

I don't think that was ever his intention. He wanted to create a new type of video game genre: Social Strand. And he even confirmed a sequel since forever: you need more than one game to define a genre.

Also, the only thing Metal Gear-ish of Death Stranding is the sneaking gameplay and close quarters combat, and the Director's Cut version furthers that.

Guess the Snake Eater Remake is a one off thing.

Yees!! I wonder if those will come to the NSO?

Never played it, nor Policenauts
I thought it was his new MGS in a vague sense of its role, I forget where I read it but I recall him saying somewhere he chose to do Death Stranding first at the new studio because of his several ideas for projects it was the safest, basically the closest to a conventional big cinematic flagship AAA franchise marketed to a wide audience. But I'd say in terms of where the MGS series was going, Peace Walker and V, you can see it taking shape into the concept that Death Stranding brings to full fruition.

Right there's just the new MGS Collection and Delta, signs point to it tightly tracing over the original, apparently even still using all the original recorded voice lines too? Konami likely lacks the talent to start anything new, just a lot of mining of the past, likewise with Castleivania.

Boktai would take a bit of retooling to work, I could see them doing something with the joycon IR sensor, but you don't see that level of stuff happening with NSO, it would likely call for its own release of some sort. I highly reccomend ZoE and 2nd Runner, gorgous stylized visuals that have aged perfectly and tight fast action, they're closer to an arcadey action game than what you'd expect from a mecha game, almost more like a 360 degree flying ninja game at times.

I kinda thought Death Stranding was already his replacement Metal Gear, but I guess Sony was probably like "we need MGS associated with our brand, we tried hitting up Konami but they definitely won't make new games!".

I look forward to getting a new Boktai and ZoE some time next decade.
I don't think Sony really care about MGS beyond whatever Konami want to do with it, they'll take a remake etc... but no the value for them is in Kojima as a Christopher Nolan type figure and him making new projects for them - they're definitely in the Kojima business not the Metal Gear business, same reason MS put him front and centre for OD.

Youā€™re actually right! šŸ§

I think so, yeah. But I wonder why bother remaking the game when thereā€™s a Pachinko machine version thatā€™s essentially the same
The original voice audio is being reused at least in part because one of the Japanese actors passed away.

Honestly I've always felt the story of Kojima's toxic relationship as if he was constanfly forced back into Metal Gear was kinda convenient anyways, AFAIK a lot of him coming back to direct the games was basically his own perfectionism and thinking the MGS team still wasn't talented enough (think that might have even gone as far back as 3?), it's not all just some tortured artist stuck in a production mill even if it's very sympathetic and his relationship with MGS got genuinely toxic by V

Kojima said that Metal Gear Solid 2 was going to be the last MGS game. Then he said that about 3. Then 4. I think he legit just liked working on the series from both a story and gameplay perspective. Realistically he's been away from the stealth genre for 8 to 9 years and he might be itching to get back in.

Kojima said that Metal Gear Solid 2 was going to be the last MGS game. Then he said that about 3. Then 4. I think he legit just liked working on the series from both a story and gameplay perspective. Realistically he's been away from the stealth genre for 8 to 9 years and he might be itching to get back in.
Kojima said MGS was gonna be a self contained story, reason as to why the game has two endings: rescue either Otacon or Meryl.

The bit about MGS2 being the last, I don't know. The story got revised at some point and made more complicated in order to develop the plot in two more games: MGS3 and 4. Sons of Liberty was originally about Liquid Snake being seen in the Middle East (literally MGS4's intro), but was then changed to Ocelot masquerading him and all this jazz about an automated system that rules the world.

Back
Top Bottom