• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News PHIL: Microsoft is bringing Call of Duty to the Nintendo (switch or successor i guess)

Oh we dancin'.
NauticalRedChihuahua-max-1mb.gif

Important to note that he doesn't say Switch in that Tweet. I think it's likely we will see maybe some old Call of Duty games on Switch but we're probably looking at COD on an as of yet announced Nintendo system.

Would be how I'd read the situation, too.

Also is the best chance MS has at getting into that Nintendo ecosystem, at all.

Look, I'd sooner rather have Halo on Switch than CoD but at this point I'll take any multiplayer FPS I can get my hands on

But like. The merger hasn't actually gone through yet has it?
It’s just to make Microsoft look good if the deal goes through. I think the most interesting thing is that they signed an agreement with Nintendo for this to happen.

Edit: Also Valve since they also said to commit releasing COD on steam as well. Though I think this is expected anyways even if Microsoft didn’t get them since literally all the pubs that left steam just came back lol.

Last edited:
That is a huge thing if the merger actually goes through. Nintendo’s 1st party finally with the likes of a game like COD to the platform that Activision has avoided for years.

“You can imagine if [the deal] closed on that date, starting to do development work to make that happen would likely take a little bit of time,” Spencer said, referring to the June 2023 date the merger is supposed to close, if it is not blocked by regulators. “Once we get into the rhythm of this, our plan would be that when [a Call of Duty game] launches on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC, that it would also be available on Nintendo at the same time.”

Source: WP: Microsoft says it will bring Call of Duty to Nintendo by Shannon Liao

Look, I'd sooner rather have Halo on Switch than CoD but at this point I'll take any multiplayer FPS I can get my hands on
By the logic applied for COD, you have to wait for Microsoft to buy Microsoft to get Halo on Switch lmao.

It’s just to make Microsoft look good if the deal goes through. I think the most interesting thing is that they signed an agreement with Nintendo for this to happen.
Yeah that's what I mean though. What if the deal doesn't go through? Is there like a contingency or something

This is a pretty wild, playing the long game development. If they ever released the older games I might be interested. The last one I played was the first Modern Warfare 2.

Yeah that's what I mean though. What if the deal doesn't go through? Is there like a contingency or something
It’s like will of intent where this is what they plan to do if the deal goes through. If it doesn’t then that’s it.

All I’ve been asking for since the switch launched. Not expecting anything until the next console.

Lol. Who would have guessed that the ABK acquisition and Sony's attempts to stop it would lead to Nintendo getting COD.
I honestly think it’s always been part of the plan. CoD is far more profitable as a multiplatform franchise, so MS is gonna want to Minecraft the hell out of it. Just so happens that promising CoD to Nintendo also helps with the review of the regulators.

Then they’ll also put it on Game Pass and if it reels more subscribers, then awesome for them.

MS will still put CoD on PS. Too much money to pass up. Difference is SIE won’t be able to offer their usual PS-exclusive perks. Or they’d have to pay higher than usual to get those perks.

Call of Duty was on GameCube, Wii, NDS and WiiU. It stopped roughly around the time, when SIE took over marketing deals for CoD. Would be an interesting coincidence to see the IP coming back to Nintendo around the same time when the marketing deal runs out.

Top of mind is why ten years?
I assume it's a business deal and Nintendo signed on to this and there's a contract.

I'm just a bit concerned Microsoft is using the Nintendo CoD deal to defang any anti-trust investigation and Microsoft plays the long game and make CoD go exclusive at year 11.

lol.

first(?) cod on switch only happens because sony fought the merger so hard. even if that’s not 100% the case it certainly feels like it

lol.

first(?) cod on switch only happens because sony fought the merger so hard. even if that’s not 100% the case it certainly feels like it
Yeah it does feel like a bit of a window dressing move to placate the FTC. Worth noting Steam/Valve also signed on, so this wasn't just a Nintendo thing, but Nintendo is the elephant in the room given its market share and absence of CoD on their platforms

From the sound of it, Microsoft had a boilerplate deal that's probably very sweet which Nintendo/Valve signed off on, but Sony still refusing for other reasons (likely feeling like they don't want Microsoft to own CoD)

I'm still concerned what happens after 10 years. Understandably businesses can put games wherever they want, but I hope there's some clause there for renewal and it's not Microsoft planning to take CoD exclusive after 10 years when they dont have to worry about US regulators.

I'm still concerned what happens after 10 years. Understandably businesses can put games wherever they want, but I hope there's some clause there for renewal and it's not Microsoft planning to take CoD exclusive after 10 years when they dont have to worry about US regulators.
The Bloomberg article says the deal can be extended after the 10 year period. Obviously we don’t know how that’s enacted. I assume if the money is good, then they won’t toll these deals and extend as long as possible.

Yeah it does feel like a bit of a window dressing move to placate the FTC. Worth noting Steam/Valve also signed on, so this wasn't just a Nintendo thing, but Nintendo is the elephant in the room given its market share and absence of CoD on their platforms

From the sound of it, Microsoft had a boilerplate deal that's probably very sweet which Nintendo/Valve signed off on, but Sony still refusing for other reasons (likely feeling like they don't want Microsoft to own CoD)

I’m also curious if there’s any stipulation that Microsoft needs to maintain status quo for the “CoD machine”. One thing I assumed could happen is Microsoft could change the release cadence of these titles, shift around resources, etc. It’s so weird to discuss CoD as some constant

This is what I was saying was going to happen if the deal goes through. Microsoft buying ABK would increase, not decrease, the chances of CoD on Nintendo platforms.

Last edited:
of course who knows how many games they'll get within that period - my take on this whole shamozzle is MS will put the FTP Warzone on everything and keep separate campaigns/games exclusive to Xbox/PC (ie: Modern Warfare)

Cool! Happy for all the fans.

From my personal perspective, for someone who isnt actually playing CoD - this hopefully would lead to other publishers going:
Huh, CoD on Nintendo? Maybe we should try that to...

But it was always super weird that Activision didnt at least try one entry at some point. So I'm happy to see the commitment and from a competitor to.

Sounds like ‘unprecedented partnership’ bullshit to appease the regulators.

MS will still put CoD on PS. Too much money to pass up. Difference is SIE won’t be able to offer their usual PS-exclusive perks. Or they’d have to pay higher than usual to get those perks.
You would think, but we can't say for sure. Sony wouldn't be slamming the panic button right now if they didn't think there was a chance they might not.

You would think, but we can't say for sure. Sony wouldn't be slamming the panic button right now if they didn't think there was a chance they might not.
Sony is emphasizing that small chance CoD would go MS-exclusive precisely because that is what would set off regulators, not that they really believe it’s likely to happen. They want to keep their current cuts on the microtransaction cashflow and PS+ perks.

Not thrilled by the idea of having literal US military propaganda force fed on us, but it's still a hugely succesful series so... yay?

Once the deal is fulfilled, they could start with Call of Duty mobile on Switch to start rising brand awareness again in the Nintendo audience, then get to porting whatever the current game it is on the Succ

Top of mind is why ten years?
I assume it's a business deal and Nintendo signed on to this and there's a contract.

I'm just a bit concerned Microsoft is using the Nintendo CoD deal to defang any anti-trust investigation and Microsoft plays the long game and make CoD go exclusive at year 11.

Limiting it to 10 years makes sense when you consider 10 years ago was pretty much when COD stopped releasing on Nintendo systems... because said system was the Wii U. 10 years is super generous if anything.

You know, when you think about it, it's kinda sad that it takes a direct competitor of Nintendo to aquire one of the biggest third party publishers for this to happen.

The thought itself is a in the sense of "usual business".

Dang, you got me. Now I have to put Halo on Switch.

Can i call you Philbag? Or MeatPhil? Or Spencemeat?

Not thrilled by the idea of having literal US military propaganda force fed on us, but it's still a hugely succesful series so... yay?

Once the deal is fulfilled, they could start with Call of Duty mobile on Switch to start rising brand awareness again in the Nintendo audience, then get to porting whatever the current game it is on the Succ
THANK YOU

Back
Top Bottom