• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Perfect Dark Zero

• Thread starter Deleted member 2807
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2807

I played and beat the original Perfect Dark last year on my Xbox. I never played Perfect Dark Zero as I chose Kameo as my Xbox 360 launch title and just never got around to PDZ (didn’t grow up with the original, so I wasn’t foaming at the mouth for it at the time.)

I’ve heard less than good things about Perfect Dark Zero for over fifteen years now…so anyways, I booted it up on Rare Replay tonight on my Series X. Just jumped in. I’m now on Mission 4 and I actually am really enjoying it?

Maybe it gets worse as it goes - I don’t know - but all I know is, as of right now?

I’m really enjoying myself!

Anyone else play this game or like me and never got around to it?

P.S I love Joanna’s design in this game. 😅

apps.35337.63439252632634505.21118c47-4142-4554-86f9-ad35deb8bfb7.fd697a30-841a-4ec7-93eb-a542744a62ee

As a huge fan of the original, I was colossally disappointed in Perfect Dark Zero. Don’t think I even finished the second level at launch. It’s a super low priority, but through Rare Replay it’s technically in my backlog still. Maybe in a decade or so I’ll give it another shot.

This game just did not click with me whatsoever. I can't even remember why, I just remember being so excited and then losing interest after a few levels. I also encountered some bugs when playing co op.

Got Rare Replay earlier this year and been meaning to get around to it, but the amount of titles on the Switch has been murder on the planning... Good that you're enjoying the game though, remember hearing a lot of differing opinions at launch. But it's been so long ago already...

Did you know ?
The two apostrophes after the « Perfect Dark » logo of the N64 & XBLA versions AND the upcoming reboot means « Perfection ». There is a reason Perfect Dark Zero doesn’t feature the two apostrophes.

I’ve been a massive fan of the N64 game and waited quite anxiously for PDZ. When I finally got to buy a 360 (when Mass Effect released), I also got PDZ and… I hate how the game moves and feel. I hate that my aiming is constantly terrible no matter what I do ; the ennemies are kinda floaty when they move, making aiming a pain in the ass (even worse when you play against bots in multiplayer).

Also hated that your weapon inventory is terribly limited (two weapon system, yay thank you HALO) especially after the original, Goldeneye and the TimeSplitters trilogy. The path you can follow isn’t easy to read, even with the « Follow the arrow » feature. Special mention to the very first level when you use the bot into a conduit ; Every. Single. Time. I can’t find the final thing to destroy for like multiple minutes while Chandra is constantly yelling at me (another great idea…). Forsaken on the N64 was easier to control and more readable.

The dialogues and cutscenes aged like milk.

Now for the nice parts :
- I like the soundtrack quite a lot. In fact « Arena Showdown », the theme for the final boss is one of my favorite boss theme ever (wished it was a bit longer). Even the Game Over theme is excellent and is more longer than you expect.

- Johanna’s look is pretty good to me.

I played and beat PDZ at launch. Even spent some time with the online multiplayer. I don’t have strong memories of it one way or the other honestly, but I figure I must have enjoyed it if I took the time to beat the game.

If I ever get around to playing Rare Replay I might give PDZ a look to see how it holds up. And the original Perfect Dark while I’m at it! I’ve never played that one.

I made it to Mission 9 last night and still really enjoying it!

I actually really enjoyed this game, never got far in the original but played this a fair amount. I’m a baby at shooters tho so I like how this one kind of held my hand haha.

This is, to this day, one of my favorite XBOX360 games. The setting, the music, the characters, everything about it is so good. I'm always quoting Chandra going "it's chill" as well.

I actually really enjoyed this game, never got far in the original but played this a fair amount. I’m a baby at shooters tho so I like how this one kind of held my hand haha.
Same!! I’m not like super great at them either and I like the way this game feels? Like I actually enjoy the “clunkiness” feeling of it in a weird way, it just feels right for me haha.
This is, to this day, one of my favorite XBOX360 games. The setting, the music, the characters, everything about it is so good. I'm always quoting Chandra going "it's chill" as well.
I’m glad to see you feel that way! Last night when I was playing it, with the Nightclub level where it played the song with the vocals “Limelight”, I was like man…this is all just so mid 2000’s aesthetic and I LOOOOVE it haha!

I’m glad to see you feel that way! Last night when I was playing it, with the Nightclub level where it played the song with the vocals “Limelight”, I was like man…this is all just so mid 2000’s aesthetic and I LOOOOVE it haha!
I wish the soundtrack was on Apple Music, because I'd rack up the +1's on Limelight and the mission select music.

I was gifted this along with Call of Duty 2 and King Kong when I got my Xbox 360 for Christmas. Definitely not on the level of COD 2. It was a disappointing game yet it had its moments for me. It looked good at the time despite it being ultra shiny and the enemy animations being stiff. Some decent missions. Had fun playing splitscreen with my friends.

I've never played it, but this was me watching the flame wars from a distance back when the game came out

tumblr_inline_nszrw652WV1qdw8jk_500.jpg
Wowww I haven’t thought about Wall Guy in ages!

I remember bouncing off of this game but loving Kameo, the other Rare launch title. Been too long to remember why. I should totally boot up Rare Replay soon and give it another go. Does Zero still have the laptop gun? That was always my fave from PD.

I have good memories of Kameo, I really liked that game. Kameo and PGR3 basically lived in my 360 for months.

I have good memories of Kameo, I really liked that game. Kameo and PGR3 basically lived in my 360 for months.

I need to give Kameo a second shot. It didn't click with me back then and I never finished it. The one thing I remember about that game is the big open battlefield where you mow down a bunch of enemies with your horse. It only exists to show off the power of the Xbox 360!

It's funny how I've had Rare Replay for about a year and a half since I got my Series X and I haven't once played Perfect Dark Zero or Kameo. There's nothing preventing me from playing either, and I'm actually very curious about both, but there are way too many games in existence for me to get to all of them. I wish I could go into a parallel universe where time didn't pass so I can play all the games on my backlog.

Perfect dark zero is rather bad imo, i didnt even like it when it came out and it was one of the first xbox 360 games i tried when i got my console in 05. If your looking for good early xbox 360 era fps games, i would recommend call of duty 2 and 3, F.E.A.R, prey (2006), and quake 4. And while not really shooters per say, condemned and King Kong are both fun first person adventures

It's funny how I've had Rare Replay for about a year and a half since I got my Series X and I haven't once played Perfect Dark Zero or Kameo. There's nothing preventing me from playing either, and I'm actually very curious about both, but there are way too many games in existence for me to get to all of them. I wish I could go into a parallel universe where time didn't pass so I can play all the games on my backlog.

Ironically the main demographic for Rare Replay is Nintendo fans that happened to have an Xbox One. They want to play the N64 stuff and Xbox fans don't really have a strong affinity for games like Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, and Grabbed by the Ghoulies. So I'm not surprised those titles are often looked over. I still think that MS should port the game to Switch (there's of course a lot of things that they would need to work through to make the port possible) but it would put a nice bow on things. Rare's lost GCN games final return home.

Ironically the main demographic for Rare Replay is Nintendo fans that happened to have an Xbox One. They want to play the N64 stuff and Xbox fans don't really have a strong affinity for games like Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, and Grabbed by the Ghoulies. So I'm not surprised those titles are often looked over. I still think that MS should port the game to Switch (there's of course a lot of things that they would need to work through to make the port possible) but it would put a nice bow on things. Rare's lost GCN games final return home.
Interestingly enough, I did get around to playing Grabbed by the Ghoulies last year. I played a few levels and never touched it again as I very quickly understood why nobody really talks about it.

I need to give Kameo a second shot. It didn't click with me back then and I never finished it. The one thing I remember about that game is the big open battlefield where you mow down a bunch of enemies with your horse. It only exists to show off the power of the Xbox 360!
I’d be interested in playing Kameo again, to see if it holds up at all. I kind of expect it not to.

I’d be interested in playing Kameo again, to see if it holds up at all. I kind of expect it not to.
Kameo holds up decently, to my surprise. It's rough in spots but visually it holds up and the gameplay, while repetitive, isn't a chore to navigate. Remains the better of the two Rare launch Xbox 360 efforts, in my opinion.

I kind of have to side-eye when people don't acknowledge that the game has zero auto-assist for the controller which is why it feels so gross to play. Like it has all sorts of blemishes and issues but not having good feeling shooting is a pretty core thing to fail at, and it's kind of something that's hard to excuse the developers for not including. Every good console shooter has some degree of aim-assist.

Back
Top Bottom