• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: launch trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the mid fight cutscenes is actually almost 8 minutes
Holy shit 8 minutes?!? I had been downplaying my memory of it, figuring I was exaggerating it since it had been so long ago. Sounds right, I was so fed up with lol
The Pit is definitely harder by the end for sure. I won't say too much so I don't spoil anything, but the end is pretty tough. You keep encountering stronger and stronger enemies as you go through and the pressure of failing is way worse since there are no checkpoints.
This is awesome to hear. Really glad there will be something difficult like this to look forward to.

So i guess its safe to say this game wont be having extra story content since im sure they wouldve announced it by now

If there was a meaningful expansion in terms of story/gameplay content, they'd advertise it in the reveal trailer or in the title of the game itself

So i guess its safe to say this game wont be having extra story content since im sure they wouldve announced it by now
Eshop says there's unannounced new content but it probably not story related as yeah they would have marketed that

Thanks for the numbers and yeah that cutscene in the middle has got to be 3+ minutes. Or so I remember it feeling.

NG+ would be such a pleasant surprise but realistically I’m not getting my hopes up. I never attempted the Pit of 100 Trials in the original so it will be great to have that to tackle too. I’m assuming just based on the sheer volume that it ends up difficult by the end, but haven’t googled it.
I'm an adamant proponent of NG+ for this game. Simply because there are ~66 levels you don't even need to engage with. You can beat the game around level 30. There are enough levels there for a NG+ and a NG++

I would be all for gimmicks in NG++ also. Like randomly having elite enemies or enemies with traits like self heal, poison to the touch, randomly shooting out frost novas lol. Stuff like that. None of this is happening but it would be fun.

@Truno It's probably a postgame addition. That's why they aren't advertising it. I'm convinced after looking at the news page for this game on Switch's official news channel. It yet again says something along the lines of "maybe even more for the most dedicated of players to find!" Paraphrasing here.

Last edited:
I progressively started to realize something that made me accept the frame rate downgrade of the remake even more, even though I was very angry about it when they revealed the game:
TTYD Switch looks much better for its hardware than the original did.

Sure TTYD is 60fps but it doesn’t really look that good or impressive compared to other games at the time; it’s a bit more detailed and obviously clean than the first game on N64, but nothing crazy and this is why it’s even more complicated to do direct comparisons of both and assume that the remake « should » be 60fps.

In a sense I think it should because a remake shouldn’t be a technical downgrade from their original counterparts in any way, but the issue is actually the aging hardware now, more than the game itself and the developers’ choice.

It’s also more a case-by-case thing where we should not take everything for granted in every time.
One could argue that Link’s Awakening remake is also a technical downgrade with all the frame drops, and also Super Mario RPG (I’m currently playing the Switch remake for the first time) where there are strange frame rate drops in some villages; not sure if that also happens on the SNES original though.

I’m shocked this hasn’t leaked yet

I believe the last game of theirs that leaked before street date was SMRPG, ironically enough. Either Nintendo tightened the grip on leaks, or the usual suspects aren't interested in Nintendo's releases for 2024.

I'm really curious about how it will score. Will it line up with the original reviews? Will its age show and lead to lower scores? Or will many people's thirst for a classic Paper Mario make it be even more highly praised than it originally was?

I'm betting on the first option.

I’m guessing mid-80s. It’s a very solid, clever, and fun game, but I don’t think it has the scope or X factor to push into the 90s.

I'm really curious about how it will score. Will it line up with the original reviews? Will its age show and lead to lower scores? Or will many people's thirst for a classic Paper Mario make it be even more highly praised than it originally was?

I want someone from a major outlet to say in their review it's the best game ever made, like, just absolutely sing its praises, but then inexplicably mark it down several points at the end for being a kids game. Really keep in the spirit of this being the 20th anniversary of everything TTYD.

I look forward to reading several reviews. I'm expecting mostly 8's and 9's out of 10, with perhaps a couple 10s and 7s sprinkled in. I'd be shocked and saddened if it goes any worse, but all evidence is looking good right now.

I’m guessing mid-80s. It’s a very solid, clever, and fun game, but I don’t think it has the scope or X factor to push into the 90s.
Yeah that's reasonable. Also fewer game reviews were published back in 2004 which likely inflated some scores back then

How has it aged in your opinion? Curious

Cross-posting some thoughts from the other forum as we near release, yeah it's gonna be cool to see streamers and enthusiasts who never got around to it react.

But the best part for me is a whole generation of kids who will now be able to say they grew up with this game just like I did.

I reckon I'm not alone in the reason for being so passionate about disliking the series' new direction is because of just how much of an impression it made as a kid to see Mario doing more out-there stuff. Sure I could come to argue about it online as I grew up and could actually put into words why I didn't like the series' new direction, be it brand sterilization or flawed design. But at the end of the day stuff like the Shadow Queen feeling so much more threatening than Bowser, or stuff like the Glitz Pit and Train mystery, was just fucking cool as a kid. That's really all there is to it.

Idk, it's hard to explain on a forum to adults, but it just really sparks the imagination and makes Mario's world feel so much bigger. Like somewhere out there there's a kid who's path with go Mario Movie->Mario Wonder-> SMRPG or TTYD and it really just warms my heart.

And it’s also dawning on me that with this one-two punch, Nintendo is training a whole new generation for the Mario RPG war lol. A bunch more kids who play TTYD first are gonna be confused if the next PM has no unique characters

Last edited:
Is that a good thing? That's my favorite theme from the game—I'm nervous to hear the arrangement lol
Gen V music is generally liked but it's a bit of a specific taste.

They modified the drum beat to be more chaotic and feel like it's constantly messing with the rhythm. It fits the track's mood but it's kinda weird to listen to lol

I look forward to reading several reviews. I'm expecting mostly 8's and 9's out of 10, with perhaps a couple 10s and 7s sprinkled in. I'd be shocked and saddened if it goes any worse, but all evidence is looking good right now.
It won't go lower than 7s, Origami King is rated above that and I'd be shocked if this goes lower than TOK.

Gen V music is generally liked but it's a bit of a specific taste.

They modified the drum beat to be more chaotic and feel like it's constantly messing with the rhythm. It fits the track's mood but it's kinda weird to listen to lol
That doesn't bode well... The drum 'n' bass style of the original is my favorite part. 😐 They better not have bungled the Amen break arrangement lol

Upper 80s please at least. I can see it hitting 90 though because they fixed all the issues. Like to me, in my head; this game is legitimately one of the best games ever made.

I had let go of the idea of Nintendo revisiting this style of game for a long time, but back then this was like one of the pillar franchises to look forward to.

I'm excited to give this a go soon. Hopefully I get my copy this weekend. This is one of those games that I never finished - it came out when I was kind of starting to feel over the GameCube and the droughts that it went through, so I got a PS2, and it was also when I was young enough (high school I think) that I didn't have enough money to buy very many games. This was definitely something that was too long to beat during a weekend rental, but I remember enjoying what I did play, and I've since enjoyed games like Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and even Origami King. Should be fun.

I'm going to cry; i'm so happy...

paper_mario_the_thousand_year_door_screenshot_6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom