• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: launch trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you guys going to use the retro badge and listen to the old music, listen to the new music or tab back and forth?
For my first playthrough I’ll probably keep the new music on. I know the original OST so well that I’ll be able to already compare it in my mind. On replays I imagine I might swap it out more.

Are you guys going to use the retro badge and listen to the old music, listen to the new music or tab back and forth?
Back and forth. At first gonna hear the new stuff then for some battles and areas when re-exploring gonna equip the badge

I'm going to cry; i'm so happy...

paper_mario_the_thousand_year_door_screenshot_6.jpg
o7

I would like to welcome the english translation of Paper Mario TTYD to the rest of the world and to the 21st century. Took you a while to catch up!

Which makes me wonder why the overly-high scores.
Despite the game's very obvious flaws it still generally stands as an idiosyncratically engrossing experience that people are willing to look aside its shortcomings, and there's a whole modern generation of video game consuming adults who had their formative experiences through the game's presentation, game play, and imaginative scenarios, me included.

I don't consider this to be my favorite in the series these days, but I get it. TTYD is, warts and all, something special.

If I hadn't already pre-ordered this game, learning that Nintendo has chosen to confirm the trans aspect of the narrative in the English localization would be pushing me to pre-order now.

(Nintendo, now give me a new version of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance that removes the apparently added-for-localization Princess Elincia romance and lets Ike be as non-straight as he wants.)

Holy f. Between these insanely high reviews and finally doing the right thing about Vivian, I’m filled with hype. Hope this absolutely dominates in sales.

Forgive me for being a skeptic, but uh do you have a source?

Don't want to rain on the parade, it's just that disinfo surrounding this sort of thing is really common. If it's actually in the game, that'd be pretty amazing.

Don't want to rain on the parade, it's just that disinfo surrounding this sort of thing is really common. If it's actually in the game, that'd be pretty amazing.
Self-replying; was able to figure it out from the domain name (image was hosted on a WordPress proxy domain); it's from the MyNintendoNews review.

Really nice, can't wait until the game releases.

Direct quote from the review:

Vivian, one of the many characters that you’ll meet in the game, had a unique backstory in the original Japanese release that was entirely absent from the English translation. Fortunately, in the Nintendo Switch remake, Vivian is now confirmed to be a transgender woman, even in the localization. While it’s not stated outright, it’s very directly implied when she says things like “it took me a while to realize I was their sister…not their brother” when referring to her siblings. She later goes on to say “Mario is the only person who’s ever been kind to me,” and though it doesn’t get much deeper than that, having a game set in the Mario universe that isn’t afraid to dabble with more serious subjects is part of what makes The Thousand-Year Door so special.

Seeing Vivian written as undeniably trans... To be honest, I was pessimistic about the chances of them actually doing it, but it makes me so happy to see that they are. Thursday can't come soon enough!!

I think this was the best realistic outcome for handling Vivian’s gender identity. “I thought I was their brother but now I realize I’m their sister” is a graceful way to address it while also making it approachable and digestible to kids without getting into the nitty gritty. I imagine for a lot of kids this might be their very first exposure to the concept of trans identity.

I am actually floored Nintendo kept Vivian trans in this version. Nintendo is one of the most controversy-averse companies in the galaxy, and it would have 1000% been expected and unsurprising for them to just keep the original localized GameCube script 100% intact to ruffle as few feathers as possible

And yet they actually did it!!! They went out of their way to let Vivian be Vivian. Enormous W. What a pleasant surprise!

Multiple reviews have mentioned it. I got the screen from My Nintendo News’ review:

and Nintendo Life show a full clip of the Chapter 4 scene in theirs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom