• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Papagenos hints at a new adventure game starring Zelda as the main playable character

It really could be Hyrule Warriors 3 because TotK’s backstory does allow them a pretty easy setup to make a game that only stars Zelda and has no Link at all, if they wanted to.

But what’s stopping me from thinking that is:

1) I feel like that would be a weird way to frame the rumor on Papagenos’ side. A Hyrule Warriors that’s starring Zelda without Link is still just primarily a Hyrule Warriors game and I wouldn’t call it “her own game”

2) Even if they do give us a game with TotK’s backstory, I still think they’d shoehorn Link in given the fanfic changes to AoC

I will laugh if this is just an expanded Linked Game in the Oracle of Seasons/Ages remake collection that totally exists.

Just a thought ... but would a new Warriors game really be a game where you can say that Zelda is the main playable character?

Part of those game's core is the very fact that you have multiple chars from the start and unlock more as it goes on.

Sure, from the "story" she could be the main char ... but if the rumor is true and the focus is on "Zelda the main playable character" i think it's something else. (Still a spinoff, but no Warriors game)

Just a thought ... but would a new Warriors game really be a game where you can say that Zelda is the main playable character?

Part of those game's core is the very fact that you have multiple chars from the start and unlock more as it goes on.

Sure, from the "story" she could be the main char ... but if the rumor is true and the focus is on "Zelda the main playable character" i think it's something else. (Still a spinoff, but no Warriors game)
Yeah. Then again, it's papagenos.

In my book that doesn't sound and if there is a warriors game, I would not let that slide as a "win". Might as well leak that a new mario game is on the way.

I do hope a Zelda adventure game is in the works, but I also hope it's not a "storybook style" bayonetta origins side game. Zelda should not have her own game in a "children's book".

Also: that hyrule is done. We had 3 games in it, another warriors game is honestly just overkill.

Just because a game has multiple player characters doesn't stop one being the main. Shulk in Xenoblade 1 is clearly the main character, and so was Zelda in age of calamity.

Really the only reason people are speculating 2D is that some of the staff from the Link's Awakening remake haven't had any major credits since that game came out. Seems like the time is right for a Grezzo Zelda project, so it's certainly possible.

Alright so a new 2D game where you play as Zelda, re-using the LA engine. She has a different play-style, but otherwise it's a somewhat standard top-down adventure game. Link is absent because he is stuck on Koholint.

I mean, it could be like an evolved form of top-down Zelda. We don't need it to be so shackled to the original formula. BoTW introduced weapon types for 3D.

Top-Down could also use many weapon types, better combat, they could add in more RPG stuff.... I mean they can do whatever they want.

No they're not. And I'd argue that it is intended design - if it were not so, why on god's green earth would Nintendo include an animation of you jumping across the bridge into Gerudo Town with Epona? Once you clear the Forest Temple, you can do a lot:

• Go on with the main quest and clear the Fire or Water Temple (neither is a prerequisite for the other)
  • Go back in time and clear Bottom of the Well
  • Rescue Epona and access Gerudo Town (the only thing stopping you from reaching Desert Colossus is not having the Longshot)
    • Which in turn gives you access to the Gerudo Training Area and Horse Archery mini-game
That's by no means "not really that open". The only things that are hard gated in the Adult part are having access to time travel, getting into Forest Temple (requires racing Dampe), getting to Desert Colossus (requires the Longshot to get into the second section of Gerudo Desert) and accessing Ganon's Castle (duh). (Aunt Edith says I forgot to mention Shadow Temple)
So I could in theory clear Water Temple after Forest Temple and then go on to do Spirit Temple?

So far most of the stuff that PapaGenos correctly got were fairly close to their announcements.

I think this hint is way more likely for something to be announced at the June Direct than for a game early in development/next gen.

I'd say Grezzo is the most likely developer to be making this. It's about time 2D Zelda gets a new game too. Hyrule Warriors Imprisoning War where Link isn't playable/is unlockable after beating can be a possibility, if they center it around Zelda falling and coming back thousands of years.

So Papa Genos talked a little more about it on this podcast

In summary:
-He didn't Tweet that out for no reason. He's "confident"
-Can't speak in depth about it now but might in this June Direct predictions video
-It's not related to the haircut concept art for TOTK. He just used that imagine as an opportunity to Tweet out the hint
-It's not related to the rumored BOTW enhanced port for Switch 2

So not much really but he does at least confirm his original Tweet was a hint and not some shitpost

Last edited:

In summary:
-Can't speak in depth about it now but might in this June Direct predictions video
-It's not related to the haircut concept art for TOTK. He just used that imagine as an opportunity to Tweet out the hint

So not much really but he does at least confirm his original Tweet was a hint and not some shitpost

Huh okay, some YouTubers I saw interpreted him as saying he wasn't sure if it had anything to do with Zelda being the main character.

Okay so he is very sure that it's a game specifically for Princess Zelda? Another YouTuber I watched made it sound like Papagenos was very wishywashy with commitment on this rumor.

Last edited:
Firstly, let me preface my recap by saying I had 2D Zelda on my optimist's bingo card for this year. I'm not sure if this is a legitimate leak, but there are a variety of reasons I think a project like this could be the next 2D Zelda:

• Aonuma wanted the 2D series to continue in a new direction (2017). Link's Awakening 2019 was likely a stopgap while the portable Zelda leads were being reassigned to EPD4 and EPD10.
  • Yoichi Yamada, a long time Zelda veteran, wasn't credited on Tears of the Kingdom. This is the first Zelda title Yamada missed since Ocarina of Time. He was last credited as the supervisor for Link's Awakening (2019). He is probably the likeliest candidate to helm a new 2D Zelda from within EPD given his experience with the series and his absence from TotK.
  • at EPD, the lead graphics artist for Link's Awakening also hasn't been credited since that game. Several Grezzo leads haven't been credited for anything other than 'special thanks' since Link's Awakening and Miitopia. This is usually an indication said staff are busy on another project.
  • Aonuma as series producer is well aware of and has given serious thought to playable Zelda in the mainline series. One of the conventions they considered breaking for Breath of the Wild was Link being the playable character.
  • Aonuma's last comment on playable Zelda was 'maybe' (December 2023). Previously he and Fujibayashi have suggested that playable Zelda would require the right kind of gameplay for her specifically. I think it's also important to note conversations around playable Zelda related to the mainline series as a whole, and not to spin-offs, hence why I think this is less likely to be Hyrule Warriors 3 or a Monolith Soft project.

I think it's also worth mentioning Grezzo aren't that big a studio (roughly 90 employees). EPD, subsidiaries and external contracting are both going to have to play a part in this project. Given Aonuma's previous comments on the 2D series and playable Zelda, I would assume EPD have, at the very least, tight creative control over the project. It's obviously not going to be a project anywhere near the scale of an open world Zelda, but I still expect it will be treated seriously by Nintendo as portable Zelda always was.

Ultimately though playable Zelda in a 2D game helps the series nail two things they wanted to try: taking the 2D series forward in a new direction and giving Zelda her shot as the playable character.

Last edited:
Yoichi Yamada, a long time Zelda veteran, wasn't credited on Tears of the Kingdom. This is the first Zelda title Yamada missed since Ocarina of Time. He was last credited as the supervisor for Link's Awakening (2019). He is probably the likeliest candidate to helm a new 2D Zelda from within EPD given his experience with the series and his absence from TotK.
Yeah, at this point, he's either working on a new 2D Zelda, or, for possibly a truly left guess, a Star Fox revival, given his history with the SNES games. LOL

Either way, it'd be more a thing of if either possibility was going to help close out the Switch's career, or a launch period title for the successor.

In summary:

got a time stamp?

I definitely think if Nintendo were to make a game with playable Zelda, she would have significant changes to her gameplay. I don't think she would just be a reskin of Link. Of course, when most people think of how Zelda will fight, most people think she'd be more magic based than Link which makes sense. That's usually how she is portrayed in the mainline games and that's what other developers choose in spinoff titles like Smash Bros. and Hyrule Warriors. I can imagine battle playing out something like you see in the Frieren anime, especially in the second half of the show. In that, it's mostly battles between mages who fight at long range for the most part. I think Zelda could use melee weapons but they would mostly supplement the magic attacks as opposed to the main means of combat. I can also see the bow still playing a significant role. When Zelda does fight in the games, she's often fights with a bow or she gives Link the Light Bow and/or arrows.

I can also see Nintendo leaning into the wisdom aspect of her character, something they already did in BOTW and TOTK. This incarnation of Zelda is a researcher. I think it would be fun to try and bring this aspect into the gameplay loop. I'm not sure how it would be done precisely. But maybe you can have a game where Zelda is uncovering ancient artifacts and texts and only through research and discovery, can you unlock the full potential of the artifacts you find.

I definitely think if Nintendo were to make a game with playable Zelda, she would have significant changes to her gameplay.
That's the thing, though. Would they really have to but so much?

Link has skirted the line of a warrior-mage since early on in his career. Meanwhile, Zelda has always been the sorceress, but found her own backdoor into being a warrior through transforming into a ninja, and that's when she's not depicted using swords in her own right (TP boss battle, Hyrule Warriors, etc.). So, on the functional level, Link and Zelda more or less could end up in the same place, if the plot/gameplay demands.

If anything, I would say the focus should be to change things around somewhat to suit the character's strengths and utilize what else Zelda can bring uniquely to the table. Instead of a dude who uses boomerangs, you got a lass that could fling knives or shuriken. Instead of Link, who needs a wand, medallion or some other magical implement to make magic happen, Zelda is magically-inclined enough that she doesn't necessarily "need" such, or at best just needs to be taught the "spell". Why would you need a hookshot, when you can teleport short distances? She's got telepathic talents that could help with all sorts of puzzle-solving or to help people in need. And so forth, and so on.

All that to say is that, if Zelda possibly took over, say, the 2D games, for a spell? I don't think they would have to necessarily reinvent the wheel.

Wow so this supposed game "might" be talked about in his June predictions video, because the game "might" be at Nintendo's direct.

:rolleyes: this is a load of barnacles.

Wow so this supposed game "might" be talked about in his June predictions video, because the game "might" be at Nintendo's direct.

:rolleyes: this is a load of barnacles.
To be fair isn’t that how the vast majority of “leakers” discuss things? There is always a caveat. It’s always a maybe, could be true could not be, just what I’ve heard, plans might change, etc. Very few ever get definitive because then if they happen to be wrong they get destroyed.

The difference is I’ve never really heard of this guy. Don’t know his track record.

To be fair isn’t that how the vast majority of “leakers” discuss things? There is always a caveat. It’s always a maybe, could be true could not be, just what I’ve heard, plans might change, etc. Very few ever get definitive because then if they happen to be wrong they get destroyed.

The difference is I’ve never really heard of this guy. Don’t know his track record.
He's gotten some things right (getting info very close to reveals, nothing on games years out), and some things hilariously wrong.

He's gotten some things right (getting info very close to reveals, nothing on games years out), and some things hilariously wrong.
What has he gotten wrong? I'm honestly only aware of the things he's gotten correct, and I know he's one of those Youtubers that reports on random rumours, so it's difficult to tell what's coming from him and what isn't. Not entirely sure what his overall track record has really been.

I think he usually talks about the leaks told to him during his prediction videos so him saving details for a future video isn't really out of the ordinary.

Most leakers are annoying. If you actually know information spilling the beans just ruins the surprise, and if you don't you just get people worked up for nothing. What I know about Papa Genos is he largely "leaks" stuff for fighting games, he talked a lot about Smash Ultimate leaks back when the game was fresh, but now it's mostly Multiversus (or however you write that games name.) His latest thing he got "right" that at least I saw because his Twitter popped up on my feed, was he apparently hinted at Jason coming to the game, or so he says, because there's a very tiny minimal pixel or two of a machete in one of his videos, and he had to come out and claim he was hinting at that with the machete because Jason's name showed up in a Datamine.

What has he gotten wrong? I'm honestly only aware of the things he's gotten correct, and I know he's one of those Youtubers that reports on random rumours, so it's difficult to tell what's coming from him and what isn't. Not entirely sure what his overall track record has really been.
The first time I ever heard of him was during Smash Ultimate DLC talk and things he said then we're completely off the mark.

@MisterSpo and @TreIII your posts are brilliantly reasoned and give me ample hype for a 2D Zelda game. The way you described the gameplay makes me think of the non-combat aspects of Golden Sun. I wonder if a Zelda 2D game would feel like a spiritual successor to that series.

The first time I ever heard of him was during Smash Ultimate DLC talk and things he said then we're completely off the mark.
Smash Ultimate speculation feels like a million years ago, but I vaguely remember him weighing in on the Grinch leak, getting that completely wrong but then later getting the VR mode/Stage Builder/several season 1 characters correct? I don't follow them super closely but I don't remember anything as egregious as the Vergeben guy confidently saying Master Chief was the next character moments before Kazuya got revealed instead.

That's the thing, though. Would they really have to but so much?

Link has skirted the line of a warrior-mage since early on in his career. Meanwhile, Zelda has always been the sorceress, but found her own backdoor into being a warrior through transforming into a ninja, and that's when she's not depicted using swords in her own right (TP boss battle, Hyrule Warriors, etc.). So, on the functional level, Link and Zelda more or less could end up in the same place, if the plot/gameplay demands.

If anything, I would say the focus should be to change things around somewhat to suit the character's strengths and utilize what else Zelda can bring uniquely to the table. Instead of a dude who uses boomerangs, you got a lass that could fling knives or shuriken. Instead of Link, who needs a wand, medallion or some other magical implement to make magic happen, Zelda is magically-inclined enough that she doesn't necessarily "need" such, or at best just needs to be taught the "spell". Why would you need a hookshot, when you can teleport short distances? She's got telepathic talents that could help with all sorts of puzzle-solving or to help people in need. And so forth, and so on.

All that to say is that, if Zelda possibly took over, say, the 2D games, for a spell? I don't think they would have to necessarily reinvent the wheel.
First: while they are approaching a similar set they are still far from "essentially the same" (Edit: not that you sad that, just how I interpreted your point") so even there there would be more then enough to play with.

Second, and the bigger reason:
Having her play like link would just be plain boring. We have that already. That's a chance to do something different. She's her own character, let her be different, have her own identity instead of taking the place of "female link".

(If it's simply a new 2d Zelda with zelda instead of link I'm also totally happy simply since it's so long since a new 2d entry, but in an ideal world we get both, a Zelda game and a new 2d entry)

Last edited:
Them not making a Zelda-led game because they can't come up with ways to make Zelda unique enough from Link is something Nintendo would do. This is the company that will set aside entire franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero until they can think of new ideas and basically sat on Metroid Dread for 20 years until the tech could achieve their vision. So I do think they would want a playable Zelda to be different from Link. I think the game still have the same Zelda series structure (exploring, puzzle solving, etc.) but Zelda-herself would be play differently.

Them not making a Zelda-led game because they can't come up with ways to make Zelda unique enough from Link is something Nintendo would do. This is the company that will set aside entire franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero until they can think of new ideas and basically sat on Metroid Dread for 20 years until the tech could achieve their vision. So I do think they would want a playable Zelda to be different from Link. I think the game still have the same Zelda series structure (exploring, puzzle solving, etc.) but Zelda-herself would be play differently.
Seems arbitrary. They say that but then don't commit to that concept either.

If the game is going to be some mainline entry 2D I can totally see Zelda just being a cosmetic swap. The gameplay will be different. No Zelda game really is the same anyways. She's playable in Cadence of Hyrule also. Can use all the weapons and has some unique things.

If she was going to get a spinoff game then sure I agree with you. The game will be a new genre for them. But if it's just a 2D Zelda game, I can totally see them choosing Zelda as a way to differentiate 2D and 3D mainline games rather than them worrying about whether they have a whole new moveset for her or not.

It sounds like you guys think Zelda is going to be strictly a ranged/sorceress type. Or something along those lines where she can't access some of Link's moveset. I seriously doubt it.

Nintendo designs genres, not really characters first. I can't see them going.. okay so we have Zelda.. so this game needs to be all such and such combat style. It's the other way around. They say what character fits this gameplay. And in other cases they don't care. They just let it be cosmetic. (See: Mario Wonder)

Seems arbitrary. They say that but then don't commit to that concept either.

If the game is going to be some mainline entry 2D I can totally see Zelda just being a cosmetic swap. The gameplay will be different. No Zelda game really is the same anyways. She's playable in Cadence of Hyrule also. Can use all the weapons and has some unique things.

If she was going to get a spinoff game then sure I agree with you. The game will be a new genre for them. But if it's just a 2D Zelda game, I can totally see them choosing Zelda as a way to differentiate 2D and 3D mainline games rather than them worrying about whether they have a whole new moveset for her or not.

It sounds like you guys think Zelda is going to be strictly a ranged/sorceress type. Or something along those lines where she can't access some of Link's moveset. I seriously doubt it.

Nintendo designs genres, not really characters first. I can't see them going.. okay so we have Zelda.. so this game needs to be all such and such combat style. It's the other way around. They say what character fits this gameplay. And in other cases they don't care. They just let it be cosmetic. (See: Mario Wonder)
I mean, look at Peach. Showtime doesn't play anything like a Mario game save for basic platforming actions. It's not even built around her SMB2 floating. Or how Luigi's starring role is a cartoony Ghostbusters.

If Zelda gets a game all to herself, she's not going to be a Link reskin, and the game itself probably wouldn't play like a traditional Zelda game (2D or 3D) beyond superficial similarities. Heck, Retro had the greenlight to try making a game based on OoT Zelda's Sheik persona and it only stalled because the prototype didn't come together well.

I mean, look at Peach. Showtime doesn't play anything like a Mario game save for basic platforming actions. It's not even built around her SMB2 floating. Or how Luigi's starring role is a cartoony Ghostbusters.

If Zelda gets a game all to herself, she's not going to be a Link reskin, and the game itself probably wouldn't play like a traditional Zelda game (2D or 3D) beyond superficial similarities. Heck, Retro had the greenlight to try making a game based on OoT Zelda's Sheik persona and it only stalled because the prototype didn't come together well.
Definitely possible we get a game with an entirely different play style, but a lot of speculation about it being 2D comes from the developers that may be involved. Assume that is accurate, then it would be made by folks who already have a history working with 2D Zelda. Last time we've had something like that would be...Wario Land? Clearly a different game than your standard Mario platformer, but the skeleton of the original series is still there (heck, they even refer to it as Mario Land 3).

I think it's very possible that it still feels like a traditional top down Zelda, with some elements to help it stand out from a typical Link adventure.

First: while they are approaching a similar set they are still far from "essentially the same" (Edit: not that you sad that, just how I interpreted your point") so even there there would be more then enough to play with.

Second, and the bigger reason:
Having her play like link would just be plain boring. We have that already. That's a chance to do something different. She's her own character, let her be different, have her own identity instead of taking the place of "female link".

(If it's simply a new 2d Zelda with zelda instead of link I'm also totally happy simply since it's so long since a new 2d entry, but in an ideal world we get both, a Zelda game and a new 2d entry)
I mean, you're talking to the guy who has professed that one of his long time gaming-related desires is a Team Ninja-made Ninja Gaiden/Nioh-like game starring Sheik. Want something radically different from standard LoZ fare that would still play to Zelda/Sheik's strengths? It don't get much more different than that~! LOL

But having said that: I still think there is something to be said about how you don't necessarily need to reinvent the wheel to accommodate Zelda. If anything, I'm actually more interested in how you could use her to redefine things and perhaps give 2D Zelda a new path.

Or if you want to put a smile on my face, by all means, go back and mine Zelda 2 for ideas. Zelda 2 (and CV2:SQ, too, for that matter) remaining such a short-lived thing that never really got another another pass, is something I would love to see fixed and refined further into something grand.

I'd just treat this as a casual rumor at this point and use it as a starting point for a fun conversation about a playable Zelda. Papa Genos isn't some big industry insider and he doesn't profess to be. He's a lot like us. He likes to speculate on things and discuss rumors. The difference is that people will reach out to him with info, whether it's legitimate or not up for debate. From where I stand, he gets some of his speculation on other rumors wrong from time to time but the times he has provided new info himself, it has been accurate for the most part. His track record has been better than Grubb, Dring, or some other people for work in the game press claiming to know information.

Since Link has moved away from a magic meter ever since Twilight Princess (A Link Between Worlds just homogenizes items as "magic"), Zelda should lean back into that. Cadence of Hyrule already has a bunch of Zelda-specific with magic Link can't use, and recent games have largely moved away from Link using magic like Din's Fire. That's Zelda's thing now, so leaning more into that would be good.

Her physical combat is also a bit different, favoring quicker weapons like rapiers and daggers versus swords and greatswords (although, to be fair, this doesn't lock out other things like broadswords and flails).

All things together, I think you can still get close to a "normal" 2D Zelda experience with Zelda as a lead but without the normal Zelda item progression we're used to.

Popped up on my Youtube feed. Convenient timing! The video is obviously for Smash but I thought it would be a fun watch while we talk about what a playable Zelda would be like. Some TOTK spoilers in the video at a warning.

The most likely option that comes to mind is Hyrule Warriors: The Imprisoning War starring Princess Zelda as the main character.

Definitely possible we get a game with an entirely different play style, but a lot of speculation about it being 2D comes from the developers that may be involved. Assume that is accurate, then it would be made by folks who already have a history working with 2D Zelda. Last time we've had something like that would be...Wario Land? Clearly a different game than your standard Mario platformer, but the skeleton of the original series is still there (heck, they even refer to it as Mario Land 3).

I think it's very possible that it still feels like a traditional top down Zelda, with some elements to help it stand out from a typical Link adventure.
I mean, Breath of the Wild was a fairly big departure for Zelda as a series and it was helmed by people who'd been working on the series for decades. And for that game, Aonuma and Fujibayashi did consider changing the playable character from Link. Wario Land is an interesting example though, because yeah, Nintendo haven't really changed the main character of a long-running series like this, though Fujibayashi's home console Zelda games really place Zelda in a central role (while simultaneously and annoyingly finding ways to sideline her so that Link is the playable focus).

But on your final point, yes, agreed. I think a Zelda-led game in the portable style would recognisably be a continuation of that sub-series, even if it has some noticeable structural and gameplay changes. The portable series has also been used as a bit of a test-bed for different ideas for the Zelda series that have then been followed up on with home console entries, whether that's taking the action away from Hyrule (Link's Awakening, Oracles), introducing multiplayer (Four Swords), shaking up the traditional progression order and removing traditional button controls (Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks), or revisiting and reusing a previous overworld with new mechanics and story (Link Between Worlds). Maybe it'd be a stepping stone to a co-op open world game, or perhaps the hypothetical game for this year has you alternate between Link and Zelda or something.

What if we get Zelda: Dungeon Maker, and Zelda is the 'playable' character, in cute overalls and a hard hat? Maybe wearing a boilersuit and goggles?

It really could be Hyrule Warriors 3 because TotK’s backstory does allow them a pretty easy setup to make a game that only stars Zelda and has no Link at all, if they wanted to.

But what’s stopping me from thinking that is:

1) I feel like that would be a weird way to frame the rumor on Papagenos’ side. A Hyrule Warriors that’s starring Zelda without Link is still just primarily a Hyrule Warriors game and I wouldn’t call it “her own game”

2) Even if they do give us a game with TotK’s backstory, I still think they’d shoehorn Link in given the fanfic changes to AoC
Honestly they could also go the way of Persona 5 Strikers, which used the warriors template as a base but honestly didn't really play like one.
You had dungeons ("Jails") instead of battlefields and the actual combat may have used the huge enemy count of a warriors game, but it was changed so much to fit the Persona mold that it wasn't really recognisable as a warriors game anymore.
While in a warriors game you would rack up huge combos, a random encounter can be over in seconds in Strikers when you correctly use the weaknesses like the game wants you to.

And storywise it was a sequel where you could play the whole main party of the original game, but they didn't try to shoehorn in other characters that wouldn't make sense storywise even if they were popular.
Would be the best case for that scenario .

Back
Top Bottom