• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Panzer Dragoon Saga is a work of wonders in dire need of official emulation

(Late to the party)

Touya

Moogle Coffee
Screenshot_20230903-204224.png
Last weekend I finished Panzer Dragoon Saga, one of those 87% games whose reputation precedes it. This is the Sega Saturn's swan song, a labor of love bearing the weight of an impossible task--competing with Final Fantasy VII. It was a doomed enterprise, going up against the most expensive game then made, with a fraction of the staff and none of the experience, on a console that had already lost its war. Faced with this, Team Andromeda set out to do the only meaningful thing they could: make the game they wanted to play.

Screenshot_20230820-222626.png
Screenshot_20230828-194022.png
From the outset, nothing about Saga is conventional or familiar. The way it's framed, you could easily be fooled into thinking you're getting to the world map early--and then you get to the world map and realize no, you just spent the last hour traversing a dungeon. Every on-foot zone is a town, and every other zone is spent riding on your dragon's back, shooting at different targets to activate switches and break down barriers. Despite not using analog controls at all, the game makes extensive use of vertical space by allowing the dragon to ascend and descend freely as it flies, resulting in dungeons that can be tall and wide on a scale you don't see from contemporaries.

Screenshot_20230820-192920.png
Screenshot_20230831-210238.png
The battle system is likewise unconventional. Instead of controlling a party, you control Edge's dragon alone. The dragon is always flying relative to its targets, positioned in front of, behind, or to one side of the enemy. The "dragon radar" on the bottom of the battle screen shows where the dragon currently is with a golden icon; enemies are at the center of the radar, and the four quadrants around the enemies light up green to show safe areas, red danger zones, transparent for moderately-dangerous areas, and gray for areas you can't move into.

Even common enemies go through different phases that change which quadrants are safe and expose different weak points, often being vulnerable to either Edge's gun or the dragon's lasers but not both. Sometimes a pack of creatures will have a "queen" that's subtly different from the rest, and repositioning to snipe it with Edge's gun will cause the whole pack to disperse. Other enemies have shields that have to be lowered by going after the right target, and still others have counterattacks you need to put preemptive buffs against so you can counter their counters.

The bucking of convention continues all the way into the final dungeon, where the map you're accustomed to using as a bird's-eye view suddenly displays a vertical cross-section of the tower you're navigating. There is never a moment where you're not discovering or adjusting to something about Saga.

Screenshot_20230827-234347.png
Screenshot_20230827-235056.png
Instead of a world-spanning 60-hour epic, Saga's story is a tightly-written 15-hour journey spanning a single continent in a planet we only see a fraction of. There's a vast empire that rules with an iron fist, but we only see its capital for a few brief moments in the intro before it's blasted to ash; the "Towers" the different factions vie for control over are said to span the entire world, but we only ever see the one that dominates the local region. The scale of the planet is teased to us, while only the most important and essential elements of it are presented.

I was surprised to see how directly Saga tied into Panzer Dragoon II Zwei. An early example is Georgius, a perpetually-stormy zone that drops a major bombshell after you complete its puzzle and release Shelcoof, the antagonist that kicked off the plot of Zwei. Certain blanks are filled in for those coming in blind, so it's not exactly "required reading." Some endgame cutscenes replay scenes from both of the previous Panzer Dragoon games, this time from the antagonist's perspective, which unifies the narrative of the trilogy and puts the larger-scale plot in view.

Screenshot_20230828-211121.png
Screenshot_20230827-234001.png
One of the most ambiguous characters in the story is Craymen. In the first ten minutes, we see him commit two different atrocities at very different scales: on a personal level, he massacres the work crew Edge was protecting along with his adoptive father. Immediately after, Craymen masterminds a large-scale bombing that decimates the imperial capital and kills (at least) hundreds of thousands of people. He appears to be a power-hungry turncoat, and the imperial officers Edge encounters in the first two discs call him a madman, out to destroy the world. With insane henchmen like Zastava working on Craymen's behalf, it's easy to see their point.

Edge spends most of the story trying to kill Craymen for revenge, but when we actually meet the man face-to-face it becomes a lot harder to say his war isn't justified. The empire is out to use the tower as a continent-burning weapon, while Craymen wants to keep it out of human hands, and raided Edge's crew to get Azel before the emperor could.

Screenshot_20230829-193017.png
Every glimpse we get of the emperor shows us a lunatic surrounded by sycophants dictating man's future by force, and we personally see his servants colonize, torture, and ultimately eradicate anyone that doesn't immediately bend their knee. After seeing imperial soldiers torture Edge with a blowtorch for information he doesn't have, fire an ICBM at the town of Zoah for defying them and ultimately wipe Zoah off the map with a superlaser, we know exactly why Craymen wouldn't want them controlling the tower.

The world would be in a dire place if the emperor reached Azel before Craymen, and Edge's captain expressed loyalty to the empire. If they didn't kill him immediately, he'd probably interfere and die anyway--which is a hard pill to swallow when we've read the captain's diary, pouring out all the love he had for Edge. (Particularly the lines "I don't want him to be ashamed of me when he grows up." and "Will Edge ever call me...father?")

Craymen himself never claims the moral high ground, only telling Edge that this is war. Was he actually in the right, killing all those people? Is he doing what's needed to bring down a tyrannical system, or is he just a different brand of crazy? The game doesn't firmly praise or denounce him. The question is left hanging.

For his part, Edge both says he hasn't forgiven Craymen and considers his eventual death a waste--despite wanting it for most of the story. At the point Edge enters the Tower and learns what Craymen intends to do, he seems to realize killing him won't make anything right. From that point on, Edge tries to do good by humanity as a whole rather than fulfill his personal desires. Losing his enemy ends up hurting him as much as losing his allies.

There's this masterful moment on disc 3 when Craymen articulates his philosophy to Edge. As he describes the balance the ancients created, Craymen recedes into shadow, and the camera lingers on Edge still standing in the light. Are we supposed to believe Craymen is correct about the world? Is the empire just a "waste of resources," and humanity really doomed to destroy itself without a higher power in charge? Craymen's beliefs are framed in darkness, as if we can't really know how much truth is behind his words.

I can't avoid pointing out that Craymen's philosophy ultimately loses. He dies unable to carry out his plans, and Gash starts directing Edge under an opposing view of what should be done about the Towers.

Screenshot_20230829-200215.png
Gash wholly believes humanity should be freed from any exterior control. Craymen understands the Towers' purpose and wants to use them to complete the restoration of the environment, while keeping them out of human hands--or at least, out of any hands but his own. Gash wants to destroy the Towers and free humanity from the ancients' population control, allowing the mankind to grow unchecked.

Both of them raise important points. Humanity isn't really living under the ancients' system, only surviving in the ruins of it; but humanity attaining total dominance over the planet is how the world got to where it is in Saga. Gash "wins," but his victory may just doom the Panzer Dragoon world to repeating the ancients' mistakes.

However, if Craymen "won" would it be any better? Mankind would be living in a more lush and bountiful environment, but still subject to violent population control. Can we trust the man that saw both Edge's father and the entire imperial capital as necessary casualties to define the future of the human race?

There is one element of the story that feels undercooked:

The final boss, Sestren.

Screenshot_20230903-202447.png
Screenshot_20230903-203117.png
It's introduced with plenty of time to spare, we get significant exposition on its role and why it's been out of focus until now--it's the intelligence running the Towers--but Sestren itself lacks a personality of its own and just looks like a really big bug. The final battle is made up of these fantastic setpieces where Sestren throws replicas of the ships you've traversed and fought at you, like Shelcoof, Mel-Kava, and Grig Orig, and the build-up fighting replicas of the player's dragon forms is great...

Screenshot_20230903-201212.png
Screenshot_20230903-201607.png
Screenshot_20230903-203143.png
...but as a final boss, Sestren itself feels like a formality. He just shows up and attacks you for going against the ancients.

Having started production in 1995 and launched in January '98, Saga predated a lot of the conventions on how to do things "right." It launched in Japan just two months after Mega Man Legends, and arrived ten months before Ocarina of Time. During production, Team Andromeda would have had a fairly narrow pool of precedents to reference from--notably Tomb Raider, Super Mario 64, Quake, King's Field, and Jumping Flash!

Despite having limited references for 3D level design, the zones show remarkable foresight. Save points are placed at intersections of different rooms, so you'll wrap around from one part of a dungeon and end up back at the save point right before moving on to the next branch. Particularly long dungeons have unlockable routes at the end that rocket you back to the start, and any open-air areas let you exit to the world map freely. One of my favorite moments was returning to Uru after regaining your dragon, and seeing once-insurmountable obstacles trivialized now that you can ascend and descend freely. There's also incentives to revisit old areas, as they contain optional treasures you can't access until your dragon undergoes a form change later in the story.

Screenshot_20230831-204441.png
Screenshot_20230903-141128.png
There were some stinkers. My least favorite zone in the whole game is the interior Forest of Zoah, which has this awful animated flame texture glued to the screen at all times. However, it gets a pass for containing the Red Ruins--an optional area that's basically the same thing but not on fire, with a certain upgrade hidden inside. It successfully creates the illusion of a forest without having any modeled trees at all; the entire area is essentially a squat diorama with 2D trees painted on the sides and a bunch of billboarded trunks in the middle, but it successfully sells the illusion that you're in a dense thicketed woodland.

One last big technical achievement is that Panzer Dragoon Saga dropped in January 1998 with full voice acting. Every NPC, every cutscene, anything that would require a character's mouth to move is voiced. (So not menus, item descriptions, or Edge thinking silently, but if he thinks out loud he talks.) The only RPG of a similar vintage I can recall with the same dedication to voice acting is Septerra Core, from 1999. It certainly feels like a statement for '98, and in-game you can see how all of the dialogue had to be more direct to avoid dragging things out. (Juba the barkeeper's quips stand out: "A Holy District is for holy folks. We got no business in there." and "I figure only the High Priest gets to see it. He's got his Guardian Fire, I've got my illuminating drinks.")

In part because of the dire circumstances at the time of Saga's development, none of it is dubbed into English. The opening and ending are in a (rather flatly-delivered) fictional language, while all of the remaining dialogue is in (more strongly emoted) Japanese. The effect is interesting because, as far as I can tell, the use of Japanese is a necessary concession not many English speakers caught on to when the game was new. The previous Panzer Dragoons both used a fictional language for all spoken dialogue, so we weren't supposed to understand the speech of this world in the first place.

The frustrating thing about this brilliant, haunting game is that it is completely inseparable from the console it started on. They made the perfect Saturn game, and it cannot be anything but the perfect Saturn game. As soon as you try to mess with the internal resolution or filter the textures, you're losing a bit of what makes it beautiful; every facet down to the mesh transparencies and pixel-perfect prerendered menus defies your ability to update, improve on, or modify it in any capacity.

This is one of its many prerendered FMVs:

Screenshot_20230829-172742.png

This is that same FMV at 720p:

720_20230829-172742.png

This is that FMV run through a CRT shader:

20230829-172742.png
It's not the best shader possible, but the ideas are there. Blend the pixels to make the video encoding artifacts less visible, smooth out the jump from in-engine to prerendered graphics. It could do with a mild brightness boost to compensate for the overall darkening of the image. I realize CRT shaders are controversial these days, but some kind of analog-inspired enhancement is necessary to create an equivocal experience to 1998. The menus need it as much as the cutscenes:

720_20230903-204250.png
20230903-204250.png
Panzer Dragoon Saga is a window into a specific time in the industry's history, and it needs official emulation to reflect that. This title is infamously expensive, currently going for between $1000 and $3000. Few English CDs were manufactured, estimated at around 20,000 copies. With Saturn emulation historically being demanding on specs, there's never been an official Virtual Console or Sega Ages release of Saga.

Around 2016 Saturn emulation suddenly became much less intensive thanks to Mednafen. Its libretro fork, Beetle Saturn, made it easy to play Saga on a huge range of machines. Today the game even runs on Android devices with Yaba Sanshiro 2, but those shouldn't be the most accessible ways to play it. These applications were spun up by a handful of bedroom coders working on open-source passion projects for free, and they demonstrate that it's possible for Saturn games to be widely available on standard consumer hardware. Sega with all its resources could easily package Saga's disk images in an official emulator, and distribute it on digital storefronts. Put it on Switch, put it on Xbox, put it on any machine that can get this wonderful RPG in a few more hands.

losing the source code can be real bitch sometimes. Though I have heard contradicting things on that

One of my favourite games of all time, thanks for the great write up. I really wish this was more accessible so others could experience it as well.

A magnificent game, and one I was fortunate enough to own thanks to an online rando (in 1998!!) who mentioned the mom and pop store in his city had a copy, and my 14-year old ingenuity in figuring out how to fax an order cross-country using a Macintosh. The fact that it showed up at all is a miracle.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip, @Touya. Maybe I will throw on the soundtrack this evening.

Definitely one of the coolest games of the era. A team not known for RPGs just having to figure it out anyway and coming up with something unique, memorable, and beautiful even if it doesn't reach the lofty goals of being comparable to FFVII. The music especially, which got an amazing 20th anniversary arrange album, along with a series of piano performances by Kobayashi for the 25th anniversary.

In addition to this video are ones for Sona Mi Areru Ec Sancitu, Nomad, and Ecce Valde Generous Ale that are very worth checking out and have criminally low view counts.

The people want Saturn NSO

This, along with the possibility of a Saturn Mini, are my main hopes for a rerelease. From what I recall, M2 said the only thing actually blocking them from making a Saturn Mini was that the hardware required to emulate accurately was too expensive for a reasonable price point of dedicated hardware. Which basically tells me they could do it on an existing platform... Like the Switch or its successor. The entire Saturn library is criminally underrated, so it really needs a place to shine.

The people want Saturn NSO
this would be INCREDIBLE.

Saturn is such a pita to emulate. I’ve spent more time in retroarch and on android trying to dial in settings and dealing with compatibility issues for saturn games than I care to admit.

great post! this game has always looked sick but I definitely want to play the other two games first.

its wild how much stuff on the Saturn has never been rereleased in any form, and for stuff of this era I will pretty much always prefer well done/emulated rereleases to full-on remaster/remakes like what they did with the first Panzer Dragoon. I haven’t kept up with its development in awhile but once the Saturn MiSTer core finally releases for real, I’m planning to dive deep into its library (Magic Knight Rayearth is first on the list tho)

As I say literally any time I see it come up, [and for good reason], FUCK YEAH PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!
I want to talk about a detail that didn't make it in the write up- All that plot lovingly detailed? Translated by TWO PEOPLE. Chris Lucich and Matt Underwood. Astounded so much by the quality of the work, and all while fully knowing it would sell like crap, worked until 4am most nights to get it all done. Chris Lucich was literally at the finish line coughing up blood, trying to insist he was good before he got sent home. [Thanks, Wha Happun!]
This was a job, and a huge undertaking because of how dense the script is despite being but a mere 15 hours. These two would have to eat, breathe, and sleep Panzer Dragoon Saga anyway regardless of if they liked it, but, the fact of the matter is they poured their very essence into this. Absolutely crazy, and I think the quality in the translation itself speaks more than for itself.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of the most unique and brilliant RPGs I've ever played. I got it at launch way back in 1998 and still playthrough it once a year.

This is a great write up, thanks!

I managed to get hold of a copy in 2014, when I went through a retro gaming spell through disillusionment with the then current gen of consoles. I got hold of a Saturn and Panzer Dragoon Saga, but was gutted because, when I got to the second disc, it was damaged beyond repair and I hadn't realised. Luckily I managed to get the seller to refund me, and a few months later managed to get hold of the game again and play it through to completion.

It really is a striking, singular experience, and feels like the road not taken by JRPGs. Shout out to the absolutely glorious soundtrack, another thing only possible on the Saturn.

I bought a Saturn for this, Shining Force III and Zwei (PD2). They did not disappoint.

Saga is a brilliant game. It's so good that all fans of classic RPGs of that era should play, shame it's never had a re-release. The art direction and music is especially extremely high quality and story, setting and battle system are still unique, to this day.

A brilliant game. Had it been the success it deserved to be, it could have actually shaped the genre into different and ambitious directions. Many of its systems are contemporary even today. A game I haven't replayed since 2011 but it still sticks on my mind every time I'm reminded of it.

I also wrote a pretty big text for a gaming website I used to write back then and it was a long write-up, just like yours was. There's just something about this game that makes us want to talk about it to those who do not know it up close. It's a hallmark of excellence. It really should be played by many more people.

Back
Top Bottom