• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Oxenfree II: Lost Signals | The ghost in you, she don’t fade

big lantern ghost

the notorious blg
Pronouns
he/him
bdDxX3E.gif

Out on July 12, 2023
Developed by Night School Studio
Published by Netflix Games
Available on Switch, PS4, PS5, Windows, Mac, iOS & Android
*Mobile versions cannot be purchased; Netflix subscription required to play there.

What is Oxenfree like?
If you’ve played games like Kentucky Route Zero or A Night in the Woods, it’s in that style. You make your way around the environment, chat with your friends and frenemies, interact with the odd object of interest. There is a little bit of orienteering and some very light puzzling involved, but otherwise you’re just sort of taking things in. It’s a story-based point and click game, basically!

Your most important tool is your radio, which can be brought out at any time and tuned. There are some regular broadcasts to pick up that shed some light on the local history and lore of the game’s world, but tuning it in certain spots allows you to make contact with other entities. There are some twists on the classic premise, but this is a ghost story at heart.

Can I jump right into this one?
Lost Signals takes place five years after the first game and is a direct sequel; you may want to play the original before moving into this one!

Thankfully that’s pretty easy to do if you’re interested. The original is on a bunch of platforms and is often on deep sale; it’s $2 CAD right now on the eShop, for example. As with the sequel, mobile versions of the first game are included with Netflix but not for purchase.

I replayed it last week and it took about 4 hours, with some dawdling.

This seems neat, what else do I need to know?
Honestly, as little as possible. The mystery of what’s going on is the heart of the story. If the look and the ghosty vibes interest you, I say dive in!

Screenshots
FFI4K1P.png

V9yiMqt.jpg

JdmXScq.png

I totally blanked on the release date, damn didn't know it was so close. Enjoyed the first one, will definitely play this eventually

I'm pre-loaded and ready to go.

I had some complaints about the first one (namely, that they tucked away meaty parts of the plot behind optional content), but I loved it and I am ready for some more.

I’m waiting for my wife to join me on this one so it might be a while personally, but today is launch day! If you happen to have a real-deal radio at your house, maybe tune it around a lil’ to celebrate.
📻 👻

Despite the mixed reviews, I’m planning on getting this, very intrigued.

Getting the first one too, it’s ridiculously cheap now.

Got it downloaded and, with Goldeneye finished yesterday, I should be able to start this later on today.

Been playing for a couple of hours so far over the past two nights and just placed the second transmitter and my honest opinion so far... The pacing is terrible and I find it's kind of a drag?
The actual stuff the characters talk about amongst each other is fine and all, but everything else so far has been really uninteresting and I'm never allowed to question what is exactly happening.

You'll occasionally see your father and/or a kid, Riley acknowledges that sees seeing them, but I'm never allowed to question it. I am allowed to question and talk to said character that has appeared, but never allowed to question the situation. At some point, the kid's gecko has died and your doing performing a funeral, the main characters does question what they're doing there, but I'm forced to play along with the funeral even if that's not what I want to do. I want to ask the kid questions, I want to tell the spirits to bugger off, I want to deny the things I'm seeing. But the game so far never gives me the ability to do so. It plays these sections a 100% straight and I'm forced to participate.

In the first one, you do have these moments, but most of the time there's the possibility to just tell the forces that be to bugger off. Sure, it didn't improve the situation, but you were allowed to question and just be straight up rude, or to go along with whatever was happening. So far, I never had that same feeling and it kind of bothers me.

It very well might just be me, but man, the game is so lackluster compared to the first so far...

So I’ve been interested in Lost Signals for a while and have Oxenfree 1, which I gave a complete playthrough.

Didn’t vibe with it as much as I wanted. Is the second game for me, then?

I'd say the second one is weaker than the original. So my answer would be no.

It doesn't really take the mechanics to new places and the story is worse.

Back
Top Bottom