• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Outer Wilds: Archaeologist Edition is coming to Nintendo Switch on December 7th (UPDATE: patch 2 out now, see threadmarks)

giphy.gif

I’m really keen to see how this runs on Switch, a lot of people seems to suggest it would struggle due as it did on previous consoles? I’m hoping it’s a good port.

This game should be tried by allmost everyone without knowing too much about it (maybe just how it runs technically on Switch...).

The probability that it's not your kind of game is not small, but if it is, it will be one of your favorite games ever.
And then it is best to go in as blind as possible.

Highly recommended!

I’m feeling optimistic about the performance considering how long it was in development, and I don’t think Annapurna has released any particularly compromised ports to date. up until the switch version got rated earlier this year, I had assumed it was just getting pushed to the next nintendo platform but it sounds like they found a way to make it work

very excited to finally play this—everything I’ve heard about it sounds like exactly my jam

it’s up on the eshop now—it’s actually two separate versions, one with Echoes of the Eye and one with just the base game.

both have a 20% discount (so $20 and $30 US, for the base and Archaeologist Edition respectively) through december 28th:

This is a cool game that I’ve tried to get into twice now. Im simply too dumb for it lol

I7FK0IN.jpg

Seen this comparison floating around Twitter, doesn’t look too bad, if anything it almost looks like the Switch version has a more minimalist style which I quite like

Is this the first physical release? I remember way back 100 years ago when this was announced, and then later writing it off as cancelled. It's great to see it finally arrive with a physical option.

Uff, this looks rough. Maybe I would still buy a box version, if I see one. But definitely would love it, if it gets a Switch 2 treatment.

DLC is different but very good as well. So yes, worth it imho.

Personally I would play it after the main game though.
If buying the base version and then downloading the DLC afterwards for not more money than the complete version, I would recommend that.
The DLC is kind of seamlessly integrated into the main game.

Flashback to when I first played Ori on the Switch and completed the DLC section before the first dungeon without even realising what I was doing

It’s basically a sequel in the base game. I highly recommend it, BUT after some time away AND don’t engage with it before finishing the main game.
By "some time away" you mean wait a while after finishing base game?

Is this the first physical release? I remember way back 100 years ago when this was announced, and then later writing it off as cancelled. It's great to see it finally arrive with a physical option.
It had a standard and collector's edition for PS4 from limited run and was one of the eight games included in a $200 Annapurna PS4 physical bundle. I don't think it's had a physical ps5 or Xbox release though or a wide release for PS4.

I tried to enjoy Outer Wilds multiple times, but got bored and died sometimes without knowing why (you just walk on a planet and paf you're dead because of... something ? Better luck next loop, eh ?), sometimes because of a very, very, very BAD hitbox detection.

Even by letting this aside (I played games with even worse hitbox), I couldn't get what the game was asking me. Or telling me. Or expecting me to do. Ok, I got there, I did this, that and also that, I got these informations and... then what ? The NPC isn't reacting to anything I learned / founded / activated. Same thing in the next loop. So... what was the point ?

I tried hard but it never clicked with me and the Switch version looks very rough.

The bottom screenshot is played with an Xbox controller. The first one is from today's trailer.

Damn. I half noticed that at first but didn’t look closely enough. Well that’s too bad, that’s certainly a difference.
i rewatched both today's trailer and the 2021 reveal trailer twiceh. That scene isn't shown anywhere. Maybe it was really quick?

Can you veriify again the context/notes related to the screenshot comparison?

Sorry, I don’t think I’ll be of any help. I’d seen the same comparison image shared somewhere else earlier today and was just repeating what I thought I’d read
no worries, i am sure there will be lots of comparison videos once the game gets out there , it's only a few weeks.

no worries, i am sure there will be lots of comparison videos once the game gets out there , it's only a few weeks.
Found it actually, this post on era:

okay, I must have misread it earlier. Definitely gives off more of a Switch vs. Xbox impression now. I just misread before.

Weird that you couldn’t find that shot in the trailer though. Hm…

I tried to enjoy Outer Wilds multiple times, but got bored and died sometimes without knowing why (you just walk on a planet and paf you're dead because of... something ? Better luck next loop, eh ?), sometimes because of a very, very, very BAD hitbox detection.

Even by letting this aside (I played games with even worse hitbox), I couldn't get what the game was asking me. Or telling me. Or expecting me to do. Ok, I got there, I did this, that and also that, I got these informations and... then what ? The NPC isn't reacting to anything I learned / founded / activated. Same thing in the next loop. So... what was the point ?

I tried hard but it never clicked with me and the Switch version looks very rough.

The hitbox problems can be irritating in the beginning but you get used to it and move your character a bit different/more carefully than you would normally.

The point of the gameplay loop is
that you gather information about phenomena. You learn the rules of this solar system so to speak. Ideally you learn something small each loop by reading the alien notes or observing a planet etc. and piece the clues together (you have a ship log that carries over each loop).

So your progress are not level ups or better items but knowledge.
With every bit of knowledge you 'unlock' new areas (that were always unlocked) by using the gained knowledge in a specific way.

A bit more spoilery about the ending:
This goes so far that if you start a new game you can finish it almost immediately because you know how everything works.
In my opinion it is just genius game design. But I get that someone might feel lost sometimes.

Words honestly cannot convey how wonderful this game is- it reminded me of the Spaceman Spiff segments from Calvin and Hobbes mixed with a melancholy MYST, if that makes any sense.

If you play (and you absolutely should) don’t look a single damn thing up and simply rely on your ship’s robust onboard computer- it will tell you all you need…

Just thinking of some of what you deal with in this game mesmerizes me all over again.

So its Majora's Mask in space eh?

It's what Majora's Mask would be with Breath of the Wild's conceptual design.

It actually stemmed from the same design concept as BotW. The devs played SS and wondered how a game would be where you can go to the in-between areas and OW stemmed from that.

The hitbox problems can be irritating in the beginning but you get used to it and move your character a bit different/more carefully than you would normally.

The point of the gameplay loop is
that you gather information about phenomena. You learn the rules of this solar system so to speak. Ideally you learn something small each loop by reading the alien notes or observing a planet etc. and piece the clues together (you have a ship log that carries over each loop).

So your progress are not level ups or better items but knowledge.
With every bit of knowledge you 'unlock' new areas (that were always unlocked) by using the gained knowledge in a specific way.

A bit more spoilery about the ending:
This goes so far that if you start a new game you can finish it almost immediately because you know how everything works.
In my opinion it is just genius game design. But I get that someone might feel lost sometimes.
Thank you for your answer.

I didn't read the Spoiler tag for now because I know the game MUST be experienced "blind" but it is one of the worst "blind game" I have ever experienced.
I'm not asking to show me direction but at the very least give me a feedback to what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

I know I'll try it again in the near future because there's clearly a reason for this game to be so well received.

Thank you for your answer.

I didn't read the Spoiler tag for now because I know the game MUST be experienced "blind" but it is one of the worst "blind game" I have ever experienced.
I'm not asking to show me direction but at the very least give me a feedback to what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

I know I'll try it again in the near future because there's clearly a reason for this game to be so well received.
Sure.
But I did not write anything too specific. If you have played a couple of hours of this game, you already know this (except the last paragraph).
You find the feedback to your discoveries in your log book. Most of what is noted there is somewhat important.

wow! today is the day, nearly 3 years after announcement. likely won't get a chance to start it til tomorrow but I'll be very curious to see impressions re: performance.
is anyone planning on putting up an ST?

Why this is not live yet? (In Europe)
Annapurna does global releases. Both The Pathless and Solar Ash got releases around 7-8 AM Pacific time. Europe same time too. If you check Australian eShop you'll see the release date for Outer Wilds as 8th, indicating a similar release.

Anyone played it yet?
I did but only for 10 or so minutes (sadly I'm very much hooked on Lego Fortnite right now). It's an ok port but I noticed some frame drops. Other than it seems complete, though I'm unable to compare as they seem to have taken Outer Wilds off of Game Pass.

I did but only for 10 or so minutes (sadly I'm very much hooked on Lego Fortnite right now). It's an ok port but I noticed some frame drops. Other than it seems complete, though I'm unable to compare as they seem to have taken Outer Wilds off of Game Pass.

How about graphically? Does it hold up or does it look like they have had to cut parts significantly?

How about graphically? Does it hold up or does it look like they have had to cut parts significantly?
I think it looks good but this is the first time I'm playing it. Pretty detailed afaik. As I said, I can't compare it as it's not on Game Pass anymore. Maybe I'll look into YouTube for some home console gameplay for it but to a person who never played it elsewhere, yeah it looks good.

Back
Top Bottom