• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Ori 3 is seemingly in development

TheSpearGuy

transcended to the gods

Translation :
Ori's third installment is in development, I still don't have any information from the studio that is in charge of this new installment, but it seems that the development is on the right track.

good, makes sense for them to want to continue a successful series even if they decided to cut ties with the terrible and toxic studio behind it.

Who? also didn't MS cut ties with Moon Studios?
it won't be made by moon if the rumor is to be believed.

i was just blasting some Ori music the other day, loved the first two games especially the second, really hope this is true but wonder how they will continue the story after the ending of the second game

Thank god it's not from Moon Studios if this is true. I want to support Ori, but I'm not supporting Moon.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't MS only have publish rights for the Ori games and the IP itself belongs to Moon Studios?

Wouldn't in this case then Moon be the dev behind this again?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't MS only have publish rights for the Ori games and the IP itself belongs to Moon Studios?

I believe Microsoft fully owns the IP. Moon is confirmed to be working on a new IP.

Moon studios are working on an action RPG and microsoft has enough rights to the Ori i.p. that moon certainly wouldn't be making it without them. And MS cut ties with them entirely, so that's out the window.

Ori is the weirdest series. I beat both games and thought they were both excellent (the second one in particular)... yet I can't remember a single thing about either. Not the story, bosses, levels.

I just remember how good Ori felt to control, and the weird nonsense voice of the narrator droning on. And I guess that one screen where the massive dead birds are.

Compare that to a Metroid game where I can remember them like screen-for-screen. Makes me wonder how excited I should be for a third Ori.

Sadly I can't imagine this living up to its predecessors without Moon
Would be delighted to be proven wrong though, not just because it means we get another great Ori game.

Does Moon Studios not own the IP? I mean... great, if they don't! I just had no idea.
MS fully owns the IP, they can do whatever they want with it without involving moon
blind forest: © 2015 Microsoft. All rights reserved
blind forest DE: © 2016 Microsoft. All rights reserved
will of the wisps: © 2020 Microsoft. All rights reserved.

Ori is the weirdest series. I beat both games and thought they were both excellent (the second one in particular)... yet I can't remember a single thing about either. Not the story, bosses, levels.

I just remember how good Ori felt to control, and the weird nonsense voice of the narrator droning on. And I guess that one screen where the massive dead birds are.

Compare that to a Metroid game where I can remember them like screen-for-screen. Makes me wonder how excited I should be for a third Ori.
Kinda how I feel

Both Ori games are phenomenal in my eyes and yet I often forget they exist

This seems like the best case scenario for Ori. Drop Moon Studios with its extremely toxic two main directors, and continue the series. Really looking forward to the next game, the first 2 are by far my favorite Metroidvanias.

Ori 2 felt like a definitive end so I would be curious on how they continue the story.

I thought so too at first, but when replaying it I realized that when the white leaf comes off the spirit tree, and the voice says “the cycle begins again” or something, it could mean there’s basically like a new Ori or a new spirit.

haha ew

zombie ips are the worst
assuming this isn't a joke going over my head and you mean ips that leave their original studio

I mean, it's better than rewarding a toxic studio with a new contract. No reason for MS to leave the IP behind just because of that. Perhaps the new studio could even attract some of the talent from Moon and giving them a second chance.

Quoted by: em
What happened with Moon Studios that made MS cut ties with the company?
very toxic studio, abusive behavior from studio heads, people from the studio harassing xbox employees
tho the studio head denies it and says it was his choice to stop working with MS so he could make multiplatform games 🤷‍♂️

Adding in my personal take, I don't think the first game is very good. The first half is ok, about a 7/10, but the graphical style really uses technical prowess too much as a crutch for what is actually pretty boring character designs. Most of the places aren't memorable. The music is bland. Areas don't usually connect naturally and most of the adventure is pretty linear. That being said, it's gameplay is pretty good, even if Ori himself is a bit ... floaty? He can be a bit unprecise.

Then the second half happened and I slowly started hating it. I got tired of trying to do the mechanic where you use an enemy or projectile to jump ( can't remember what it's called ?) because there'd literally just be times where the enemy or projectile didn't spawn/go where the developers intended, so I'd take a lot of damage because I had to base my jumps off A.I. The chase sequences were trial and error and terrible.

And really the most offensive thing about the series is how trite the story is.

But to be fair, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for that experience and it was just a 'get good' moment. I still need to try 2. In any case, I remember the games areas, but not because they are interesting.

Wait what happened with Moon studios?

Feel the exact same way and i can't explain why

Wait what happened with Moon studios?
By all accounts is run by a couple of monsters and there have been two mass exoduses of staff, one after each game released. The Moon Studios of today is unrecognizable from the one that shipped Ori 1.

Also, Thomas Mahler has this very weird grudge against Hollow Knight. He gave an interview where he stated that he was playing "all the best Metroidvanias" like Super Metroid, Hollow Knight, and Axiom Verge, in order to figure out what to do in Ori 2. Then Ori 2 came out and some reviewers compared it to Hollow Knight, and he suddenly pulled a 180. Said Hollow Knight was a terrible game and he's barely touched it and would never dream of taking inspiration from it. He's known to name-search and pop up in random Twitter/forum threads and berate people for comparing the games.

let it die and make other games

is what I would say if this rumor turned out to be true

I want anything Ori, he’s the best character to come out of the last generation of consoles.

I only played the first one so far and thought it was quite good, but it’s very much a textbook definition of what people expect a “indie game hit” should be. It checks multiple boxes:

- 2D Metroidvania (used to be the premier indie genre when we had droughts of these kinds of games)

- Has beautiful backgrounds and a good art direction in general, so even the people that disregard 2D or retro games can appreciate how it looks

- Emotional story, has nature as a theme, Ghibli influences are always well regarded

- Has some orchestral/ambient/melancholic music

- Is based on a retro genre but has modern game design sensibilities (skill trees, generous checkpoints, qol in general)

So in a way you could argue that it’s somewhat forgettable because you kinda get exactly what you expect. Meanwhile a lot of the other modern indie hits were much more surprising, therefore more memorable. That being said I look forward to playing the second game but I held off of buying it on sale around the time I got the first one in fear of getting burned out, on top of that you have Silksong coming out any minute now…

Adding in my personal take, I don't think the first game is very good. The first half is ok, about a 7/10, but the graphical style really uses technical prowess too much as a crutch for what is actually pretty boring character designs. Most of the places aren't memorable. The music is bland. Areas don't usually connect naturally and most of the adventure is pretty linear. That being said, it's gameplay is pretty good, even if Ori himself is a bit ... floaty? He can be a bit unprecise.

Then the second half happened and I slowly started hating it. I got tired of trying to do the mechanic where you use an enemy or projectile to jump ( can't remember what it's called ?) because there'd literally just be times where the enemy or projectile didn't spawn/go where the developers intended, so I'd take a lot of damage because I had to base my jumps off A.I. The chase sequences were trial and error and terrible.

But to be fair, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for that experience and it was just a 'get good' moment. I still need to try 2. In any case, I remember the games areas, but not because they are interesting.
Very interesting to read, because my experience playing Ori 1 was kinda the opposite - for the majority of the game I found it exceedingly dull (music, visuals and more than anything the gameplay itself - floaty and unengaging metroidvania by the numbers), but as I approached the ending (basically from the final movement upgrade and through the final "dungeon"), I was finally starting to enjoy it and then it ended. So for me it pretty much climbed its way up to a weak 7/10 at the very end.

Also haven't played the sequel yet after getting it on sale, but I'm hopeful the gameplay picks up where 1 left off ans maybe I'll enjoy it this time 🤞

Yeah I didn't wanna come in and crap on the Ori parade, but everyone told me the first game was an excellent game and an excellent Metroidvania, and I felt very lied to on both accounts. Didn't play the second one as a result.

Re: the note about Moon Studios making something else.
i wouldn't be surprised if it was the top-down game that was previously beta-tested on an old gaming forum.

part of the general backlash internally (beyond the founders being openly awful people) was that it was going to be much darker than the Ori games, which wasn't what people joined the studio for. in particular (CW for general awful shit.) Mahler wanted the game to have a rape scene as backstory for the main character, which was eventually removed after the staff flat out refused to put that in.

assuming this isn't a joke going over my head and you mean ips that leave their original studio

I mean, it's better than rewarding a toxic studio with a new contract. No reason for MS to leave the IP behind just because of that. Perhaps the new studio could even attract some of the talent from Moon and giving them a second chance.

I honestly don't see Ori as an IP worth preserving. I suppose the name has some small built in customer interest (and the main theme music track is admittedly great), but you could call Ori 3 by any other name and no one would bat an eye (no more than Crowsworn vs Hollow Knight, at least). It's a new game by a new team in a setting that has virtually no world building or other defining characteristics.

I honestly don't see Ori as an IP worth preserving. I suppose the name has some small built in customer interest (and the main theme music track is admittedly great), but you could call Ori 3 by any other name and no one would bat an eye (no more than Crowsworn vs Hollow Knight, at least). It's a new game by a new team in a setting that has virtually no world building or other defining characteristics.
Mmh fair point, I dont disagree. It's the kind of approachable that makes it forgettable, even in its excellence.

I mean it has characters like Ori/Ku, and an art style which is pretty distinctive. Plus pretty instantly recognizable movement imo

Back
Top Bottom