• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Opinion: Splatoon could benefit from CPU turf wars

• Thread starter Deleted member 4629
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4629

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Smash Bros Ultimate are two of my most played games on my Switch. Out of all the hours of playtime, most hours have been spent battling CPUs. I simply prefer offline battles and races against CPUs than online play. You can pick your own ruleset, music and stage, you can choose your own difficulty, you can play at your own skill level, its a great way to train, there's no wait times between matches and you don't need to bother with online.

But enough about those games. Lets talk about this threads main topic: Splatoon. Particularely, Splatoon 3. Okay, i'll give credit where credit is due. Splatoon 3 has a good and pretty big singleplayer campaign, unlike MK8D or SSBU. However...When it comes to offline content, there's not much else! Well, besides the upcoming Side Order DLC, of course. But i'm talking about base game content here. So...I think Splatoon 3 could really benefit from having the option to be able to play turf wars against CPUs!

Up until Splatoon 3, turf wars have been only against other players online, which i think is a shame. The core gameplay of these turf wars is honestly really fun! However...There are some caviats. Because you're playing against randos online you the difficulty is very flexible. Sometimes its a cakewalk and sometimes i get destroyed. It can be very frustrating. Not to mention that somehow my wifi is the absolute worst. I sometimes cant even finish a match without disconnecting, i know thats my fault but investing in better internet and/or LAN is quite the hassle. Not to mention players can sometimes have toxic and unfun playstyles. It just feel likes im thrown into a lions den a lot of times, which is a shame because as i said the core gameplay of these turf wars is very fun!

I think that allowing Splatoon players to play turf wars against CPUs would fix all of these issues. First of all, you would be able to choose the difficulty yourself, therefore players could play at their own difficulty level which would make the gameplay more fun, less frustrating and makes it easier to practice. Because its offline, anyone can enjoy it. With or without internet. Toxic players also aren't an issue. You wouldn't have to deal with waiting for others players so you can start a match. Turf wars could also become more customisable. I think this would make the game more accessible leading potentially to higher sales!

What do you think? Please share your opinions!

CPU turf wars definitely would have been something I would have put a ridiculous amount of time into as a kid, though now I don't have a lot of motivation to play against bots much (last time I did it was Smash 4, and even that was a while after I usually did that).

Not much to say except Booyah, I agreee! The Elite Octoling AI would have to be improved to make it work, but booyah!

I personally think there should be an option to play with and against CPU but partially for other reasons. It would allow to play the game offline, after Splatoon 1 being offline for several months this year, it's something I would like to be able to do because, sooner or later the server will be permanently offline. It would also allow to play if there isn't enough player, in the last few months every time I try to play Salmon Run in Splatoon 2 I get no teammate at all which render the mode unplayable.

Over a hour later with 0 replies...Wtf did i do wrong?
It's Wonder-Season, who cares for Splatoon...

Maybe it's a tech problem? The enemies in the single player campaign only really follow one set of rules / one objective if you pay closer attention to them. When 7/8 players are computers, and every tiny space and it's ink color has an influence on your style of play or the overall strategy, It could be difficult to program the ai. But then again Smash bros can also be quiet complex and they pulled that off.

Honestly, go further. Give me CPU matches for all of the battle types. I understand starting with Turf War, but some sort of offline bot matches could be helpful even for online players, giving people a chance to learn the ropes for the more complex modes in no stakes matches.

completely agree and I honestly feel like every multiplayer shooter in existence needs CPU matches.

sometimes i just wanna play without getting competitive or (lets be honest) wrecked online.

As long as their CPU difficulty can go up to Inner Agent 3 from Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion then they should definitely add them!

Ever since the hated bots in Perfect Dark, I've wanted to play something like this again. The Salmon Run mode I think is their take on this bc the AI for Octolings/Inklings will never feel accurate to real humans. With Salmon Run, it never feels artificial bc there's no human analogue to the enemies.

Having said that, I think you're onto something with the difficulty of Turf War. With human players, you can't choose the difficulty level. If they added this mode, it'd be a much more chill way to learn new weapons. I'm all for it!

Over a hour later with 0 replies...Wtf did i do wrong?
I agree with you OP. One of the reason I didn’t buy S3 is the lack of some sort of local multiplayer mode. Have to pass controllers around and take turns doesn’t work for me. Your post doesn’t necessarily fix that but I understand your concerns.

As long as their CPU difficulty can go up to Inner Agent 3 from Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion then they should definitely add them!

She is carried by special spam, the small arena, and health/damage numbers being skewed in her favor. None of that would make bot Turf War an enjoyable or educational experience and in a straight up 1v1 her AI is still pretty mediocre.

Honestly, go further. Give me CPU matches for all of the battle types. I understand starting with Turf War, but some sort of offline bot matches could be helpful even for online players, giving people a chance to learn the ropes for the more complex modes in no stakes matches.

In some part of splatoon 1/2/octo expansion (I don't recall which ones had them) , these kind of existed as parts of the story modes, but... the AI sucked at them. You couldn't really learn anything from them that you couldn't get from the stage exploration modes (with no AI or other human players)
I agree with you OP. One of the reason I didn’t buy S3 is the lack of some sort of local multiplayer mode. Have to pass controllers around and take turns doesn’t work for me. Your post doesn’t necessarily fix that but I understand your concerns.

It has local multiplayer, but same system multiplayer isn't going to happen any time soon. There's a lot of computationally intensive stuff running in the background to make all the inking systems work that means it's not feasible. Even games on current gen home consoles struggle to do same machine co-op (see :Halo infinite)

Last edited:
In some part of splatoon 1/2/octo expansion (I don't recall which ones had them) , these kind of existed as parts of the story modes, but... the AI sucked at them. You couldn't really learn anything from them that you couldn't get from the stage exploration modes (with no AI or other human players)

It has local multiplayer, but same system multiplayer isn't going to happen any time soon. There's a lot of computationally intensive stuff running in the background to make all the inking systems work that means it's not feasible. Even games on current gen home consoles struggle to do same machine co-op (see :Halo infinite)
My one sale isn’t going to matter, I get that. Hopefully they can make that happen on the next console. I will then purchase the next splatoon. It’s amazing gameplay and experience but one that is begging for a true local co-op experience.

Now that you put it like this, it makes no sense that it doesn't have it, it would allow you to learn the maps for any mode, and how to play new modes without dissapointing your teammates

Playing against bots in Call of Duty is pretty much THE reason I still play those games. I would put way more time into Splatoon if I could play against bots, it would be so sick.

Agreed 100%.

I think it would also be nice if the game could sub in a CPU in the event a player disconnects, beyond the window at the beginning where it auto ends the match if someone disconnects early.

I usually prefer battling CPUs as well, but if Splatoon had this feature I might not play online much, and I think that wouldn't be in the spirit of the game. The online pool would shrink too. There's already single-player content in the game.

it would allow you to learn the maps for any mode, and how to play new modes without dissapointing your teammates
This is a good point though

Back
Top Bottom