• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Serious One thing that gets me in the mood for games: commentary/videos on the game I'm playing. BUT WAIT! How do I play a video game without spoilers then?!

merp

Manakete
Pronouns
He/him
Okay, so after going a decade without playing games (and having recently started playing 'em again), I just discovered The Secret (click link for funny joke and reference; much laugh). You see... I like playing games, but I like seeing other peoples' comments on them. I like playing Elden Ring but also knowing what people say about it while I play it and bantering with them about it. However, I... don't want to get spoiled or too spoiled. And that leads to The Greatest Secret (okay, but seriously, don't buy this book series; they all suck) of all: I want to consume media about the game while playing the game and that is what helps spur me on to playing it (and deriving the most enjoyment from the game in question).

Tell me, my Fami(ly), how may I learn The Power of consuming game media, fan art, commentary, maybe minor spoilers, etc. while not getting spoiled on the game itself? What is The Magic that's needed here?

(Disclaimer: I detest New Age crap and do not advise reading that series of books.)

If there's a game I'm curious about or even if I just want something to listen to I will click on someone's analysis / video essay on YouTube. If what they're saying makes me want to play it, I'll stop watching the video before they explain everything. If not then I feel like I learned something anyway.

If you haven't already played them, I would recommend Half Life 2 the coast and the Portal games, I believe they have in game developer commentary that plays when you come upon sections of the game world.

If there's a game I'm curious about or even if I just want something to listen to I will click on someone's analysis / video essay on YouTube. If what they're saying makes me want to play it, I'll stop watching the video before they explain everything. If not then I feel like I learned something anyway.
I guess I could try that...

Any apps I could use?

Watch archived stream vods for games you've started playing, and play ahead of the streamer. So you hear someone's reactions to the bits you've already seen; but they can't spoil you on what you haven't played because they haven't played it either.

Back
Top Bottom