• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox oh no: Forza Motorsport will require an internet connection for game progression

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
direct link to a clip, because the Media tool doesn't support those. it's basically the Hitman route where there is an offline mode, but it's mostly useless as the game doesn't save at all on it.
any progression in-game will be stored on our servers to support the integrity of the overall game experience, and there are options to play offline, so things like Free Play are always available, but any progression requires an online connection.
this is particularly concerning Microsoft's policy for the Forza series has traditionally involved delisting every game a few years after their release. now imagine them taking the servers down with it.

it's not something you can escape by switching platforms either, as Gran Turismo 7 also requires an internet connection to play.
i've heard some rumors (don't quote me though, i haven't fully looked into this.) that it's something being enforced by the car manufacturers. with them being extremely stringent on how their vehicles can be used. as a similar explanation was brought up on why certain cars aren't in the Need for Speed series (since it's about illegal street racing)

Appreciate the heads up. Was considering picking this up as my first mainline Forza, going to completely skip it now.

This kind of practice is the dumbest thing in the world. Either don't offer offline play or allow your game to be played entirely offline. Freaking ridiculous.

Yea I despise sony for doing that. Not even allowing us to play the Cafe Menu races offline or even access the map. Trash nonsense ruining a great racer. Hope this Forza is better than the last two. Horizon has been hugely superior to Motorsport in every way for the last years.

I won't really be bothered was already basically going to just play it on GamePass but this is a huge letdown for actual fans of the franchise. Always online bs is terrible.

This is pretty aggregious as a $70 full priced game.

As a part of always online Gamepass though, doesn't quite feel as bad. So they kind of just get an eye roll from me honestly.

Surprised they're doing this. Didn't they see Gran Turismo to learn this mistake from?

Splatoon 3 basically does the same. Anything that would progress your character can't be done without a internet connection. You can't visit the stores, you can't reroll gear, you can't use chunks to update your gear, can't use the lobby gacha machine, so on.

Despite how much I hate it, I don't think the general market treats this as a real negative anywhere near as much as it used to.

Forza Horizon 1 & 2's servers are shutting down
As these games now have a very small player population, we’ll be closing online services for Forza Horizon 1 and Forza Horizon 2 on August 22, 2023 so that we can focus on our most current games.
this probably deserves it's own thread, but it really also should be mentioned here as it shows exactly why this is a bad idea. with the timing (confirmed almost exactly one week after the previous annoucement) being particularly damning.

as noted in the article, "the single-player experience in both games will remain playable,". something which would (mostly, see the progression issue) not be possible whenever this installment eventually goes down.

The issue of offline mode in video games has been a hot topic, with many players expressing frustration over the limitations imposed by some games.

Yeah that’s a lot of bullshit. I dont understand what technical limitation is keeping them from having an offline single player mode. why could we play the campaigns of past forzas offline but not this one? Is it because they will be selling a premium currency and want to ensure no one can cheat their system? Probably.

Back
Top Bottom