• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Octopath Traveler has been delisted from the North American eShop

Is also delisted from the european Eshop

It seems that the contract to publish it in the West has ended and it returns to Square.

It’s most likely just due to the publisher being changed. Still panicked a bit when I saw this though.

I look forward to a bunch of copies getting dumped on ebay for "$100 Super Rare" listing, only for the game to show up on the eshop in a couple more weeks

Wonder if/when we'll see the same happen to other Square games that Nintendo's published (from memory, some other HD2D games and DQ11S)
Yeah, Dragon Quest 11, Builders and Builders 2 were all Nintendo published, so maybe those’ll be next?

I don’t think Octopath’s delisting is permanent. And hey, Square Enix is much more likely to put its games on steep sales so this isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, Dragon Quest 11, Builders and Builders 2 were all Nintendo published, so maybe those’ll be next?

I don’t think Octopath’s delisting is permanent. And hey, Square Enix is much more likely to put its games on steep sales so this isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting Octopath or anything else would go away forever. I'm guessing there's just some back-end weirdness involved with getting the publisher changed in their system

And yeah, it'll be neat if this puts an end to "why aren't these Square games ever included in Square sales on the eshop"

Yeah. I would like builders 1 so I can get that special cosmetic for 2, but would be willing to pay no more than $10 since I got it on Vita for that price years ago. I have. Priced square self publishing their recent games in the west so that’s probably what this is

I guess this will affect voucher promotions? I was going to save a voucher after Paper Mario, so that removes an option.

Yeah, taking it offline / off the shop is probably just a necessity to also deactivate its availability via vouchers.

I wonder with the changes in the industry how much Nintendo will be willing to publish Square titles.

Okay guys selling my switch with octopath installed for 736 dollars who wants it?

…lol I’m sure it will be back up published by square themselves in no time. I own that game on 3 platforms, switch, xbox, and pc. Maybe I should beat it at some point

I have no clue but could this be the first Nintendo published third party game to change hands? If this is what's actually happening of course. Wonder if S-E will do the same for the other Team Asano and/or DQ games.

Anyways, the Octopath stan in me can't help but hope it means they value the series enough to approach Nintendo for this change ahah.

I wonder with the changes in the industry how much Nintendo will be willing to publish Square titles.
I'd imagine it's S-E that's spearheading this change, not the other way around. They self published OT2 in the west after all and it's not like Nintendo hasn't handled publishing of third party games at least physically in the last few years.

Huh. I wonder what this means for compatibility with the Nintendo-published version once the game returns to the eShop as a Square Enix-published version. Generally, when a game has different versions by different publishers, the save data isn’t compatible with each other and each game will appear as a separate title on the HOME Menu and all…

Hope this doesn’t happen to The World Ends with You: Final Remix, LIVE A LIVE, or any of the Nintendo-published Dragon Quest games… I’d like for the option to switch to a digital copy for any of those and keep my save data to still exist, should I ever want to do that.

eats your physical copy what now, BassForev-AUGH (cough) I forgot these taste like that (cough) auughhhhhghfhh why did I do this (cough cough) I’m sorry, this was a bad idea and I’m (barf) a bad person…

That's not eating fresh.

can someone update me on the publisher thing? Is there a reason for the change?
eShop switched publisher from Nintendo to Square Enix while also making the game unable to be downloaded.

They probably had a contract with Nintendo to publish the game on the Switch for a couple years (the game is almost 6 years old) and it expired, transferring the rights back to Square Enix. My guess is that Nintendo marked the game as delisted to avoid any complications until Square Enix is ready to put the game back up.

I wonder if this will affect anything for those with a physical card who switches to a digital download. Would the save file be compatible?

I bought the physical copy of Axiom Verge then picked up the digital copy years later when it went on sale. My save file didn’t work on the digital copy because the publisher of each version was different.

Quoted by: Tye
I wonder if this will affect anything for those with a physical card who switches to a digital download. Would the save file be compatible?

I bought the physical copy of Axiom Verge then picked up the digital copy years later when it went on sale. My save file didn’t work on the digital copy because the publisher of each version was different.
Yeah, this is my exact worry for cases like this, and it seems like few others know or care about it. I always avoid buying physical copies of games that have a different publisher than the digital version specifically to avoid this issue in case I ever decide I want to switch to a digital copy in the future and retain my save data and play activity records.

It sucks because sometimes it’s not super clear when the publishers are different for physical releases and no one has bothered to create and share a database with all this info compiled online either, so as someone who is mindful of the issue it’s often tough to know which versions of games are safe to buy or not.

They have also released a patch to the game and both the physical and digital versions now have Square Enix as publisher.
Huh. Interesting that that would be updated as well. If the box for the physical edition mentioned the publisher, at least that can't be touched for people who already bought it.

They have also released a patch to the game and both the physical and digital versions now have Square Enix as publisher.
Interesting… So I guess this is the first originally Nintendo-published game to be retroactively de-published by Nintendo both digitally and physically, huh? This also means that the digital and physical versions should retain their compatibility with each other, which is great!

Back
Top Bottom