• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data NPD May 2022: Switch first in revenue and units; Elden Ring #1, Lego Star Wars #2, Switch Sports #3, Evil Dead #4

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Elden Ring returned to the top slot and is still the best selling game of the year. Evil Dead was the 4th best selling game and the only new game in the Top 50. Skyrim returned to Top 20 on the strength of Steam sales.

Lots of legs for games, especially Nintendo but we know how they get down during the Switch gen.

If people wonder why Bethesda games play and look the way they do nowadays they just need to look at the sales of Skyrim. Crazy.

Hopped over to my other tab to see what gaming discussion is like in the other place, not even a thread for NPD sales yet. There will undoubtely be a half hearted post with terrible OP later today with fewer responses than this thread because Switch is #1 and the fanboys don't want to acknowledge it.

Bizarro to see sales age completely abandon ship over there. Hot topics of discussion includes nmore circle talking around Kojima's next game that probably will be 90% hype and not worth the wait.

Hopped over to my other tab to see what gaming discussion is like in the other place, not even a thread for NPD sales yet. There will undoubtely be a half hearted post with terrible OP later today with fewer responses than this thread because Switch is #1 and the fanboys don't want to acknowledge it.

Bizarro to see sales age completely abandon ship over there. Hot topics of discussion includes nmore circle talking around Kojima's next game that probably will be 90% hype and not worth the wait.
Installbase exists that stole almost all sales discussion in Era

Resetera basically doesn't even want to acknowledge Install Base's existence. Honestly, I post these threads for Famiboards since I figured some here who don't have IB accounts would want to discuss it. Welfare does a great job compiling this information at IB.

May is always a slow month for sales. Evil Dead as mentioned was the only new game in Top 50 for the month so discussion might not be as exciting. Xbox was 2nd for the month and is still #1 in revenue YTD. (Switch is #1 in units YTD iirc)

don't forget - no credits given to Installbase and the OP only adding them after 5 people acknowledge their source.

Happy for FromSoft's success, even though I did not enjoy Elden Ring as much as their previous work. Skyrim will never stop selling as long as it keeps getting a re-release.

In an unusually satisfying turn of events, Mario Kart 8 was once again #8 in May after being number #8 in April. This of course happening in the eighth year the game has been on the market.

Unfortunately, the game was blocked from an all 8s achievement by Kirby on the YTD chart and by both Arceus and Far Cry 6 on the 12 months chart. But the game has been rising so... maybe next month? lol

Imagine if it manages to do all of this in August tho? 🤯

In an unusually satisfying turn of events, Mario Kart 8 was once again #8 in May after being number #8 in April. This of course happening in the eighth year the game has been on the market.

Unfortunately, the game was blocked from an all 8s achievement by Kirby on the YTD chart and by both Arceus and Far Cry 6 on the 12 months chart. But the game has been rising so... maybe next month? lol

Imagine if it manages to do all of this in August tho? 🤯
I would love to see what type of launch MK9 would have if it launched in late 2022 (no MK8DLC in this scenario), maybe it could match AC launch?

I would love to see what type of launch MK9 would have if it launched in late 2022 (no MK8DLC in this scenario), maybe it could match AC launch?
New Mario Kart vs New Horizons would be such a great showdown... shame on Nintendo for denying us this! 😡

That said... you won't catch me betting against Mario Kart... I saw what happened to Polygon lol

As I said over on install base a little while ago:

Personally I feel like units sold is the most important metric because it will determine where in the history books a video game console will land. Will a console go down in history as the highest selling (unit wise) video game console or will it rank in the top five or will it rank in the top 10. Ten years or twenty years from now people are going to be looking at the units sold to determine where a particular console ranks. I could be wrong but in my own personal opinion I believe that the vast majority of historians or gamers will not be looking at the revenue angle that a console made during its run on the market to determine where it ranks in the history book of highest selling video game consoles of all time.

● There's nothing wrong with being interested in the revenue aspect of things I'm not against that in any way shape or form but throughout gaming history the most important metric is the units sold aspect. In that area Nintendo is completely dwarfed their competition. And by the end of the year it will have surpassed the PS4 to become the Undisputed King of the mountain for consoles created within the last 10 years when it comes to units sold. The sky's the limit for Nintendo and only two systems left after that would be the Nintendo DS and the PS2. This is why the units Sold metric is the most important metric because it will show where a console ranks in video game history.

This child of FROM is brought much joy to see the continued success of Elden Ring. Didn't think it was at all possible to be honest, but I'm sure its number of supported platforms helps too.

1E1A718A7470E48081DEF52C0A7F59B71AF9A2D6

It's honestly kinda insane how Elden Ring has captured the zeitgeist. Not that the other games weren't popular but this one is super mainstream, like how the new Animal Crossing is way more popular than the other ones. I wonder when we'll see the next game to compete against it for #1 in sales before it's momentum eventually slows down

It's honestly kinda insane how Elden Ring has captured the zeitgeist. Not that the other games weren't popular but this one is super mainstream, like how the new Animal Crossing is way more popular than the other ones. I wonder when we'll see the next game to compete against it for #1 in sales before it's momentum eventually slows down
With no digital sales for Nintendo games it will probably be COD:MW2, this year after Q1 has been really week when it comes to AAA releases that can top the charts especially Q2/3

With no digital sales for Nintendo games it will probably be COD:MW2, this year after Q1 has been really week when it comes to AAA releases that can top the charts especially Q2/3
I don't doubt it'll do that but that'd be WAY after Elden Ring's sales would've begun to slow down so I wouldn't be quite as impressed

Nice to see that Xbox is also doing great,
I was always saying that this generation difference betwine Xbox and PS will not be big like it was last gen.

Back
Top Bottom