• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Live Show Nintendo Direct | 2024-06-18 | 7AM PT, 10AM ET, 4PM CEST | Uncompressed trailers for 4 games up, see threadmark!

Who will reveal themselves? (Up 5 votes)

• Mario

Votes: 42 37.8%
  • Link

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • Samus Aran

Votes: 76 68.5%
  • Pit

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Captain Falcon

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Fox McCloud

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • A spiky-haired guy in an SRPG

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • A bug

Votes: 25 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pretty great direct 8.25/10

New 2D Zelda, M&L looks cool, MP4 looks amazing, and DQ3 is phenomenal. Ready for DQ1&2 next year already

Tbh I’m surprised FE4 wasn’t in here. Maybe in the pre-TGS Mini/Partner Sept Direct it’ll finally be there for a 2025 release
Here’s my bet. A Nintendo Direct Mini, about 20 minutes long, enough time to reveal a few more details about announced games and maybe one more surprise 2025 Switch title. The mini will either be directly followed by a Switch 2 reveal trailer (this would be clarified beforehand), or will inform people about a timeframe near the end of the Direct. It’ll only be a “first look” esque trailer, no full details or game announcements until it’s inevitable blowout likely after the holiday season.

Hey Best Buy, ima need you to bring back the B2G1 Switch game deal so I can preorder the 7 games I already know I'll buy from this Direct 😅

I’m sorry but i’ll beat a dead horse.
Remember when Nintendo didn’t have any new big games after Tears of the Kingdom?
And now that’s not even the last mainline zelda game on the system?
I was already seeing people yesterday deriding Metroid for having really low sales and blaming fans for artificially blowing up the perceived size of the franchise, so Prime 4 would then fall under Dring's defense of "I meant no big games after TotK," as would M&L (if he insisted Wonder was a small game then this would be too) and Echoes of Wisdom (he'd probably argue it isn't even mainline because of the artstyle and top-down gameplay) so he'd probably insist he's still correct and the Switch has been dead for over a year now with nothing of note coming out.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Am I the only one who's bummed we're not getting a Treehouse Live segment? I would be thrilled to watch an hour of live Echoes of Wisdom tomorrow.

That would be fire.

Like, at one point you don't want to get spoiled, but I watched all of the BotW 2016 Treehouse and my mouth was frothing, even after being shown 0.7% of the whole game.

That would be fire.

Like, at one point you don't want to get spoiled, but I watched all of the BotW 2016 Treehouse and my mouth was frothing, even after being shown 0.7% of the whole game.
The big shock to me was that all that time spent in that Treehouse run was only 0.7% of the game.

I was afraid of being spoiled on BotW from it, could not fathom the game being that much bigger than what they showed but it really was. Similarly I'm looking forward to seeing how much more EoW is beyond the simple asset-flip some people are calling it.

Similarly I'm looking forward to seeing how much more EoW is beyond the simple asset-flip some people are calling it.
My personal theory is it started out as a LBW remaster on the LA engine and then ballooned into its own thing. Which would be absolute poetry given LBW’s origins.

And it’s not like “asset flip” Zelda games have been bad in the past. Good lord people.

Am I the only one who's bummed we're not getting a Treehouse Live segment? I would be thrilled to watch an hour of live Echoes of Wisdom tomorrow.
We have been spared the pain of treehouse playing that funkypop game, so on balance maybe it's for the best

It’s fully clicking right now that the switch has revived all three of 2D Mario, 2D Zelda, 2D Metroid😭🙏🏻
Umm, Switch didn't revive 2D Mario. See New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. WiiU as far as the consoles go. Then of course Super Mario Maker on the WiiU as well counts.

Then there's the handheld systems that have kept all of these alive.

Hot damn, Zelda and Prime 4 look gorgeous here. YouTube, you gotta work on your streaming quality!

How do you even find those uncompressed trailers lol

Prime 4 looks really good without the compression

Ever tried to hit the F12 key in the browser? The tools that pop up by doing so are really useful for such stuff.

(Also helps that Nintendo flat out has the MP4 files on their pages without any blocking shenanigans)

Looking through a summary, and there really was a huge discrepancy between first-party and third-party in terms of hype and wow-factor.

Like, I personally went away with some true standouts (MIO, Ace Attorney and The Hundred-Line) but if anything in the Direct was a bit of a dud, it was the bulk of the third-party offering, stuff like Funko Fusion, Denpa Men, Hello Kitty, Farmagia and Looney Tunes was pure filler in my opinion.

Umm, Switch didn't revive 2D Mario. See New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. WiiU as far as the consoles go. Then of course Super Mario Maker on the WiiU as well counts.

Then there's the handheld systems that have kept all of these alive.
This is more evidence for the "Switch is a handheld that connects to a TV" argument :)

This is more evidence for the "Switch is a handheld that connects to a TV" argument :)
Yeah I bring that point up a little bit in the "2D/3D Holy Trinity (paraphrasing)" thread:
Well the Switch is literally Nintendo combining their home console and handheld systems together.

So kinda to be expected; no less cool.

The main tradegy in my eyes is how some of the typical console games (3D Zelda, 3D Mario, etc.) are getting more handheld game design philosophies ingrained into them. Mario with their moons around each corner, and Totk with nearly every quest being segmented in ways that make them completeable in roughly the same short amount of time, as well as the dungeons having obvious bookmarks as well so you aren't lost in them if you had to take a break in between sections(because the traffic light changed, who knows?). It gives the games inherently monotonous pacing.

They announced a lot of games for post September and early 2025 tho.... so not sure if they really need a ful September Direct for the switch at this point.
I think just a mini or partner showcase + twitter overview trailers for Zelda/Mario Party/Mario + Luigi, but you will most likely get the Switch 2 reveal quickly after in October (given we seem to be steaming towards a repeat of Switch 1's launch strategy) where you'll get a hint of the big launch game etc... and then a January direct and press hands on with new hardware

Back
Top Bottom