• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour "Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition" for Nintendo Switch rated by ESRB

Despite being called "Ultimate", it has a werid mix of titles from both Wii U entries (plus a few unique modes), rather than be a true compilation.
Oh then maybe this might end up being a true compilation or it’s sequel.

how in the world did any one take a picture of an NES cartridge as a hint toward switch 2 in the first place lol
Mostly to reiterate what Kevin said,

Nintendo is way to silent in general (even when they have content)
You're not alone in thinking Nintendo is too silent for their own good. Like hell, even this isn't an official announcement; ESRB just beat them to the punch, and even if it wasn't intentional trying to smoke out Pyoro's sources for leaks, it still looks bad on Nintendo that everyone and their uncle are grasping at straws trying to figure out what they're doing next

This year is definitely interesting, but it isn't unprecedented. It's a lot like 2020, where Nintendo just seems to content to rest on their laurels until they actually need to get up and do something.

I'm fine with the approach because I'm tired of things being talked about way too early and completely vanishing afterwards. And it isn't hurting them financially, so more power to them (in my opinion, of course).
But on the other end, leaving these games to launch with hardly a few weeks warning is not exactly instilling confidence if we're walking into the future completely blindfolded.

I'm not saying we need games like Metroid Prime 4 announced three years before it's ready just to get rebooted after two, but I'm sure there has to be a happy medium between shadowdrop and years in the future; like six months to a year with 3-4 general directs seems like a decent cadence which is the one thing I wish Nintendo could be predictable over.

So basically a new interaction of NES Remix? Also maybe they do a SNES one after?

That's the closest thing possible to my Mario x Metroid x Mega Man crossover fanfiction(exacerbated by the Ridley trailer) so it's already hype.

I hope there's more to it than just the original content. I think it's safe to say it's a new mix, since it's not an NSO release.

No one outside of the leaker knew about this game till the ESRB update but yet somehow Nintendo effd up for not letting fans no about it…
The gymnastics some go through to blame Nintendo for things lol.

If this is a successor to NES Remix in all but name (and possibly third party inclusions already mentioned here), then consider me a fan. I honestly prefer the NWC renaming already.

Probably just that there's online play and something in-game that directs you towards subscribing to NSO if you don't already pay for it
Oh man, if there’s online play I’d love it if you’re all competing in real time similar to F-Zero 99. Definitely not as many players I’d imagine but more in line to Mario 35.

Mostly to reiterate what Kevin said,

You're not alone in thinking Nintendo is too silent for their own good. Like hell, even this isn't an official announcement; ESRB just beat them to the punch, and even if it wasn't intentional trying to smoke out Pyoro's sources for leaks, it still looks bad on Nintendo that everyone and their uncle are grasping at straws trying to figure out what they're doing next

But on the other end, leaving these games to launch with hardly a few weeks warning is not exactly instilling confidence if we're walking into the future completely blindfolded.

I'm not saying we need games like Metroid Prime 4 announced three years before it's ready just to get rebooted after two, but I'm sure there has to be a happy medium between shadowdrop and years in the future; like six months to a year with 3-4 general directs seems like a decent cadence which is the one thing I wish Nintendo could be predictable over.

gotta be honest, this didnt answer my question of how you drew a line from the NWC NES cartridge to switch 2 lmao. pyoro could post their bare ass on twitter at this point and people would be trying to find a way to link it a switch 2 announcement.

yall gotta chill. you see this new endless ocean game? you get to swim around and learn about fishes. theres probably a lot more different kinds of fish than you realize im having my mind blown. musics nice too. real meditative. good way to chill out. hop off twitter for the weekend. just a suggestion.

Honestly, given the nature of Pyoro's teases and what they turned out to be (Dolphin's = Endless Ocean and != Gamecube NSO, NWC on NES and != the DIP Switches on the cartridge), anyone expecting Switch 2 news (and to a degree, that does include myself) only have themselves to blame. We really did miss the forest for the trees
We’ll all say this now, but next time he posts, we’ll immediately forget it

Glad I didn't get my hopes up as i interpreted the tweet literally.

That said, I am tired of waiting.

I do wonder if this is like Mario 35, and F-zero 99 where instead of emulators they created a universal nes porting engine to polish everything and take the rough edges off the controls. That would definitely make for an interesting game.

I'm definitely a bit of an island in thinking that Nintendo should just not announce anything ever until a week before it launches.

Should have known, Pyoro's teases are pretty blatant.

I don't know why people read more into that to try to manifest the Switch 2.

it was fun to joke about but honestly how would Pyoro have even heard about Switch 2 stuff given the nature of their leaks? Nintendo would have had to have some big public presentation imminent for it

gotta be honest, this didnt answer my question of how you drew a line from the NWC NES cartridge to switch 2 lmao. pyoro could post their bare ass on twitter at this point and people would be trying to find a way to link it a switch 2 announcement.

yall gotta chill. you see this new endless ocean game? you get to swim around and learn about fishes. theres probably a lot more different kinds of fish than you realize im having my mind blown. musics nice too. real meditative. good way to chill out. hop off twitter for the weekend. just a suggestion.
I never said I drew a line from an NES cartridge to Switch 2; hell my original thought was NWC on NSO if they got licensing from Square for Rad Racer. Most people focused on the dip switches in the top left corner of the cartridge drew from the fact they're labelled SW1, SW2, SW3 and SW4, and some of the numbers from 1990 miraculously matching the May 7th IR meeting being 35.7.

People found a way to connect dots, and my point was that people are grasping at straws like this because Nintendo refuses to elaborate on those plans which exacerbates leaker culture.

I'll gloss over the snide remark about logging off twitter for a weekend. Enjoy your time with Endless Ocean.

So something in the vein of the actual NWC would be cool, especially considering the historical context those games had. But I also hope we get some wacky sorta "rom-hack" type stuff like Super Luigi Bros from NES Remix 2. Honestly if there's a new SMB1 variant in this, it might be my 2024 GOTY LOL.

I don't mean that in a snide, sarcastic "lol Nintendo only releases ports" sort of way either. Like back in 2020, Super Mario Bros 35 was my GOTY because it let me weaponize my knowledge of 1-up locations in Super Mario Bros! I'm pretty nuts about the mainline Mario games, so it wouldn't take much for a weird version of an NES Mario to make me go "yep, best game of 2024!"

People found a way to connect dots, and my point was that people are grasping at straws like this because Nintendo refuses to elaborate on those plans which exacerbates leaker culture.
Maybe it's not Nintendo's responsibility to stop exacerbating leaker culture, but it's more on the people who keep getting worked up about it all to get their own shit together.

The lack of Directs isn't really an issue. This is a strange year mostly because it's an open secret that Nintendo has moved dev resources to the Switch 2. But there will certainly be more Switch games this year, and games positioned for the holidays.

I don't buy this being some move to smoke out Pyoro's contact (though it's not impossible). I'm mostly just curious how much of an NES Remix style game this will be when it's being given the NWC branding instead, and if there will be some sort of contest attached to it.

Dunno if boxed / phyiscal or just digital, but going by Pyoro it's a priced game for 30$.
Every first party $30-40 game over the Switch’s lifecycle has got a physical release, so I’d bet $30-40 it does.

Quoted by: Tye
The lack of Directs isn't really an issue. This is a strange year mostly because it's an open secret that Nintendo has moved dev resources to the Switch 2. But there will certainly be more Switch games this year, and games positioned for the holidays.
If we get to the end of June without the holiday line up announced then that would be unusual and confusing. But last year and 2021 saw Nintendo wait until that June window to announce the later year games, so we've seen this occur a couple of times in recent years. The hardware situation complicates things this time out.
I don't buy this being some move to smoke out Pyoro's contact (though it's not impossible). I'm mostly just curious how much of an NES Remix style game this will be when it's being given the NWC branding instead, and if there will be some sort of contest attached to it.
Yeah, the conspiracy theories are odd. Nintendo have had a budget title announced shortly before release last summer and in 2021. In 2019 and 2021, they announced EPD x indieszero titles a month or so before release, too. It's a well-established strategy at this point.

This time, for whatever reason, the ESRB have gotten there ahead of time. Perhaps they were premature in releasing the rating; I'm not sure how it works. But the idea it's either an anti-Pyoro conspiracy or some colossal marketing failure is somewhat unreasonable.

Maybe it's not Nintendo's responsibility to stop exacerbating leaker culture, but it's more on the people who keep getting worked up about it all to get their own shit together.
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that people are working themselves up to the point of feral behaviour just to know what lies beyond the veil. I just stand by that if Nintendo wasn't Johnny Tight Lips, there wouldn't be a need for them to be so militant about leaks getting out that spoil the surprises they want to reveal.

Hell I continue to take issue with the fact that despite NSO being a paid subscription, all we have to go off of are faith and vibes for games being added to systems that have already slowed down in the basic tier, and are currently without a roadmap for the extra fees when it comes to N64, GBA, Sega Genesis and DLC. I'm not saying I need information down to the minute when specific games will be uploaded to the server, just a confirmation that games are still in the pipeline before slowing down after exhausting their first party releases. The only reason I stay subbed is because splitting it eight ways means I pay only $14/year which is far more reasonable than paying $72/year as an individual.

This time, for whatever reason, the ESRB have gotten there ahead of time. Perhaps they were premature in releasing the rating; I'm not sure how it works. But the idea it's either an anti-Pyoro conspiracy or some colossal marketing failure is somewhat unreasonable.
It's not without precedence when Nintendo was actively looking to plug leaks. Can't remember the specific scenario, but I swear it was something Nintendo did in the last five or six years that was disseminating false info to find sources and plug holes in marketing plans. It was only a one off incident, but I remember it being talked about.

I'm hoping the game will have some sort of online component to drive home the competitive nature of the namesake, but I don't see anything indicating that it does in the ESRB rating. We'll see, I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that people are working themselves up to the point of feral behaviour just to know what lies beyond the veil. I just stand by that if Nintendo wasn't Johnny Tight Lips, there wouldn't be a need for them to be so militant about leaks getting out that spoil the surprises they want to reveal.
Nah, I'm not gonna agree. Nintendo is just a company going about their business how they see fit, and it seems pretty normal and fine to me? Meanwhile in this thread you've made multiple posts on Nintendo saying it looks bad on them and blaming them for the general vibe of discourse. There are multiple posts that are getting into weirdo conspiracy theories about it all too. I don't really see anything Nintendo is doing to foster that kind of thinking. I mostly just see a kinda warped board/fandom culture doing its thing.

I'm hoping the game will have some sort of online component to drive home the competitive nature of the namesake, but I don't see anything indicating that it does in the ESRB rating. We'll see, I suppose.
The "in-game purchases" part of the rating is a decent indicator this'll have some kind of online aspect

That disclaimer shows up on any Nintendo game that has any sort of "oh hey, you aren't subscribed to NSO but you totally should be because reasons, click here to open up the eshop so you can do that" element

Every first party $30-40 game over the Switch’s lifecycle has got a physical release, so I’d bet $30-40 it does.
The Famicom Detective Club games didn’t, excluding a limited edition Japan-only physical bundle.

Regardless, I’d expect this to likely be a physical release too, yeah. Though they could possibly release it digitally only at first and have a physical release later, as Nintendo has done before with some games.

The NES Remix games had physical releases, so if this is something similar to them I don't see why this wouldn't get a physical release.

Or alternatively, if Everybody 1-2 Switch had a physical release, I don't see why this wouldn't either.

Just finished reading the thread. It's interesting. I do think the discourse gets less healthy as a direct result of the expectations around modern video company messaging to their fans and expectations surrounding leakers. I also think the discourse here is generally much healthier and less unhealthy than on other corners of the internet. We're not getting quiet as worked up as other places and I think that's terrific. I think it's also useful to take the temperature.

To the first point, most companies other than Nintendo announce many of their games years in advance. Nintendo has been doing that less and less through the success of the Switch. Their reveal to release windows have gotten smaller than ever, especially for major games with a few notable exceptions. This is in such major contrast to most other large gaming and other entertainment companies. I think this increases the expectation of announcements and resultant unease around lack of announcements.

Then about leakers, I personally think on the whole leakers have been unhealthy for gaming fandom. I don't mean the culture around leakers necessarily, and I understand the extreme interest in gaming leaks, especially for Nintendo who is so close-lipped. It just heightens the contrast and anxiety around the lack of announcements, though, especially when many of the leaks out there even from highly credible sources take years to surface. I think it would be better not to know, and it would create less anxiety. I think the presence of credible leaks leads us to subconsciously feel more control or connection to when game info will be available, and an increased feeling that it could be made available to us sooner and is being withheld from us.

I also think that Nintendo does not owe us anything in terms of announcement timing. On the whole, I think it's no less good or kind for fans to know 6 months in advance that a game in a series they love will be available or to know 5 years in advance. There are valid points in either direction.

Regardless, we have it pretty good with 3+ Directs per year plus other announcements throughout the year. Maybe it's just from growing up with very few to no credible Nintendo leaks (the 90s and 2000s) or thinking of the time on the internet before these were so present (prior to 2016). Back then we got Nintendo news at random times and mostly around E3 or Spaceworld. We also didn't get simultaneous international releases. I think it's easy to take all of this for granted now. I just think for the sake of our psyche, it may be healthy and kind to ourselves to remember we have no control over what games Nintendo makes, when they are announced or when they are released.

For now, as far as we know, Nintendo is probably developing games in many of our favorite franchises, and the majority of them will be high quality games. We will probably be able to play these games. This is about all we can really know in this world as Nintendo fans.

I've got a migraine so I hope this makes sense and is helpful to read it think about. Just something I've been trying to think how to put into words for a long while now.

The Famicom Detective Club games didn’t, excluding a limited edition Japan-only physical bundle.

Regardless, I’d expect this to likely be a physical release too, yeah. Though they could possibly release it digitally only at first and have a physical release later, as Nintendo has done before with some games.
Oh that’s true, good spot. But yeah, this feels like it’ll be on my shelf soon!

Please have competitive versions of Famicom Detective Club.

I don’t know how that would work but I’m sure Nintendo can figure it out.

I really dunno why people are so pissed about a game we only have a vague description of that barely tells us more than the title. Was it cause Pyoro leaked it and people convinced themselves it was about Switch 2?
Yeah Nintendo's had a lot of smaller games this year but like, I dunno, I think it's alright that not every year needs a new mainline Mario or Zelda or something, and there's still another 7 months for them to reveal those before next year!
NES nostalgia is a little tiring considering it's been consistently milked for over 20 years at this point, but I still think the simplicity of those games work a lot better for a challenge collection like NES Remix, and presumably this.

I'm interested in seeing whatever this is! I agree with the expectations of a Direct shadowdrop or perhaps a scheduled release in June/July unless this ESRB rating came out very early and this is actually a fall schedule stuffer. Then again, if Pyoro already knows the pricing, maybe this must be coming soon (depending on Pyoro's sources).

Hell I continue to take issue with the fact that despite NSO being a paid subscription, all we have to go off of are faith and vibes for games being added to systems that have already slowed down in the basic tier, and are currently without a roadmap for the extra fees when it comes to N64, GBA, Sega Genesis and DLC. I'm not saying I need information down to the minute when specific games will be uploaded to the server, just a confirmation that games are still in the pipeline before slowing down after exhausting their first party releases. The only reason I stay subbed is because splitting it eight ways means I pay only $14/year which is far more reasonable than paying $72/year as an individual.
This is a total tangent, but I'm wondering about the NSO costs you mention. Where is NSO Expansion Pack $112/yr ($14/person*8 people) for a Family Membership or $72 as an individual? I tried checking prices in a few countries and didn't find that rate.

I really dunno why people are so pissed about a game we only have a vague description of that barely tells us more than the title. Was it cause Pyoro leaked it and people convinced themselves it was about Switch 2?
Yeah Nintendo's had a lot of smaller games this year but like, I dunno, I think it's alright that not every year needs a new mainline Mario or Zelda or something, and there's still another 7 months for them to reveal those before next year!
NES nostalgia is a little tiring considering it's been consistently milked for over 20 years at this point, but I still think the simplicity of those games work a lot better for a challenge collection like NES Remix, and presumably this.
yes

Nintendo's not going to not give the Switch 2 a blowout announcement. They'll do it when they're ready.

I think this sounds pretty cool. Though I wish it was $10 cheaper, $20 feels more like splurge material than a $30 game. Maybe something they'll show off will make it worth the price though, after all we don't know anything about the game.

Quoted by: Tye
If this hadn't been the eye of a weird hype storm, and got announced on its own terms. I'd probably think it was sorta neat.

Under these circumstances, though...

oldheads whining about NES nostalgia is so funny to me

news flash old men, retro stuff is cool and kids love the 80s

signed, a 24 year old NES fan
I just think it's funny that NES nostalgia is so old that there are NES throwbacks that are older now than the games it was inspired by at the time.
Mega Man 9 is now older than Mega Man 6 was in 2008.

oldheads whining about NES nostalgia is so funny to me

news flash old men, retro stuff is cool and kids love the 80s

signed, a 24 year old NES fan
plus tbh, if they can make this snappy enough, I could sorta see the bite-sized arcade-y style of most NES games really doing something for the "Tiktok-brained" audience

like, imagine you do some Mario challenge and as soon as you're done the screen just scrolls up into a Zelda challenge, something like that. No down time, only game

It's almost as if a brand new console generation was supposed to launch at the end of the year then recently got pushed to next, hence the reason there are no big games in the latter half of this year...

plus tbh, if they can make this snappy enough, I could sorta see the bite-sized arcade-y style of most NES games really doing something for the "Tiktok-brained" audience

like, imagine you do some Mario challenge and as soon as you're done the screen just scrolls up into a Zelda challenge, something like that. No down time, only game
from my understanding that's pretty much nes remix

Most of my thoughts about this game have revolved around the name. I can understand the rebrand from NES Remix to an extent if they're trying to make this a series that spans multiple consoles, but... I dunno. It's a much longer and clunkier name than if they just stuck with "[X] Remix" for future titles. Not sure if I like it. Of course, this is assuming the game will essentially be NES Remix 1+2+Ultimate with a new coat of paint and not something entirely new that'll catch us by surprise.

It's almost as if a brand new console generation was supposed to launch at the end of the year then recently got pushed to next, hence the reason there are no big games in the latter half of this year...
Now I agree that the similarity between this year and 2017 3DS probably does mean something, but man it'd be really funny if Switch 2 was never planned for this year or next year and this just ended up looking like a light year just cause Nintendo has those sometimes.

Or if they just reveal some insane titles in the June direct, which has definitely happened before where the first half looked kinda eh, then we got to the second half.

from my understanding that's pretty much nes remix

As cool as I think the NES Remix games are (especially NES Remix 2, Super Luigi Bros is a weird and wild romhack of SMB1 lol), I'm not sure if I'd describe them as being THIS snappy. You basically do bite sized challenges from NES games, many of the early ones feeling rather tutorial esque (sorta like they were advertising Virtual Console at times lol). The Remix part comes from some of the challenges making WEIRD changes to the game. Think stuff like "oh now SMB1 is holiday themed and everything is icey!" or "YO YOU NOW PLAY AS SMB2 TOAD IN KIRBY'S ADVENTURE!". These were the highlights of the game for me (outside of Super Luigi Bros and to a lesser extent, the 3DS game's Speed Mario Bros), a lot of these challenges were pretty good twists on classics!

Ideally I think making it snappier would be the play, ESPECIALLY if it had more of a multiplayer focus (all we had before was the NWC mode in NES Remix II, and... I THINK Speed Mario Bros in Ultimate NES Remix? Can't remember on that front, I didn't play that one much outside of playing Speed Mario Bros lol). Maybe something almost Wario Ware-esque, but the games could be a bit longer because the idea is that these games are pretty familiar instead of bizarre 5 second prompts.

I think for a single player aspect, I want a bigger focus on remixes. They don't have to be full-game ones on the level of say, Super Luigi Bros, but if they had several akin to those, this would def be worth 30$ to me as a "weird official Nintendo romhack collection" alone!

Which NES games would you guys like to see featured in this collection that wasn't available in any version of NES Remix?
I'm just gonna assume Startropics wasn't in it, and I think that'd be a fun one if only because the Japanese audience would have next to no context for that game (which is why realistically they won't use it)

Most of my thoughts about this game have revolved around the name. I can understand the rebrand from NES Remix to an extent if they're trying to make this a series that spans multiple consoles, but... I dunno. It's a much longer and clunkier name than if they just stuck with "[X] Remix" for future titles. Not sure if I like it. Of course, this is assuming the game will essentially be NES Remix 1+2+Ultimate with a new coat of paint and not something entirely new that'll catch us by surprise.
I wouldn't be shocked if it is less like remix's bite sized challenges and instead is a lot more score focused like the original World Championships. My guess is that there were trying to find a way to make a successor that better fit with online play and realized the similarities to what they were making with the World Championships.

Or maybe it has less to do with NES Remix then we think. We are technically still in the Famicom 40th Anniversary celebrations period and I was always surprised they didn't do much else with it beyond the website. Maybe they were just thinking about making a Famicom-based title and it isn't even the same team.

Back
Top Bottom