• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo Will Repair Out-Of-Warranty Joy-Con For Free In The UK, European Economic Area, Switzerland

crepuscule

Bob-omb

Finally! They may have done this in the past for specific cases but now that it's an actual policy in Europe you don't need to worry about sending your joycon in just for them to try to charge you what it is worth to repair it.

Nintendo Life said:
This change brings the company's policy in line with various other regions, including North America, Latin America, and France. The new policy also covers the same issues with Switch Lite.

Nintendo UK said:
Nintendo takes great pride in creating high quality and durable products and we are continuously making improvements to them. Therefore and until further notice, Nintendo offers to consumers who purchased Nintendo Switch Joy-Con controllers in the European Economic Area (EEA), UK and Switzerland that the repair of a responsiveness syndrome of the analogue stick will be conducted at no charge by Nintendo official repair centres. This applies even if the syndrome is caused by wear and tear and even if the 24-month manufacturer’s warranty provided by Nintendo has expired. For more information please visit dedicated article on Nintendo website: Joy-Con Control Sticks Are Not Responding or Respond Incorrectly (responsiveness syndrome or so-called “drifting”).
Now if only they could develop small hall effect sticks to kill this problem once and for all.

Last edited:
Finally. Felt like a problem that had been swept under the rug, especially as a lot of the noise online surrounding the issue had died out the moment the Americas offered to fix them for free.

Does this mean that I can send them the box I´ve been filling since 2017 with drifting Joycons and they will repair all of them?? For free??

Finally! They may have done this in the past for specific cases but now that it's an actual policy in Europe you don't need to worry about sending your joycon in just for them to try to charge you what it is worth to repair it.

Now if only they could develop small hall effect sticks to kill this problem once and for all.
Those already exist but are considerably more expensive. Then again, given how bloody expensive the joycons already are, they could easily eat the costs

Well, it's about time. I have two sets that need repair, the original blue and red have bad drift and the pink and green have slight drift and erratic NFC reading. I'll take turns sending them in.

I am fairly sure they always did this, I had mine fixed for free after warranty expired.
Yes, same here, I had four Joy Cons fixed for free, all of them out of warranty. However, it may not have been the case for everyone, so good they're making it official policy.

Yeah!
I've been forced to go through repair for 3 different pairs of JoyCons in Italy in the past and while I didn't pay anything for 2 of them, the third one costed me 25€ (if I remember correctly)

this is a relief, especially for my OLED ones (still ok) and possible new pairs I could buy for design / aesthetic reasons down the line

I've already open mine to fix them. Which worked for about 6 months, but then they started drifting again. Is there a way Nintendo will know I've opened them?

Gulikit makes Hall effect analog sticks small enough for JoyCons. However, not sure Nintendo would make such a change this late into Switch’s life.

Anyway, in 2021, I called about my launch JoyCons drifting (I rarely play in handheld mode). The rep stated they were out of warranty and the repairs would be $40 per JoyCon. I did not have them repaired.

That said, this is great for those in the United Kingdom, European Economic Area, and Switzerland!

For me, in North America: [screams into a pillow]

Last edited:
I am fairly sure they always did this, I had mine fixed for free after warranty expired.
Not mine. I had sent mine just 2 months after warranty and they charged me €30. Tried it twice, and twice they charged me. So I told them no, just give it back.

I got 3x pairs back fully repaired for free! Took about a month. I've sent my final pair off now to be done.

Question: Is this just for joycons, as my pro controller is starting to fade too.

I’ve seen a scattering of reports that even the TOTK edition of the cons have mild drift, but, being the happy owner of the console and controllers myself I’ve had not even a hint of a problem.

Gulikit makes Hall effect analog sticks small enough for JoyCons. However, not sure Nintendo would make such a change this late into Switch’s life.
I know it's near impossible, but i hope that for whatever the succ is, Nintendo reaches an agreement with Gulikit and their controllers come with Hall effect joysticks.

I went through three stick replacements before getting Gulikit's. We're in 2023, if you're going to ask 80 € for a full controller set you better make sure they last forever.

The only reason why this didn't reach RROD levels of meltdown is because, in the end, the main unit was still working.

It’s weird how random this is. I’ve been getting free repairs out of warranty for years here in France. Can it be that some countries used to do it and others didn’t?

Anyway, in 2021, I called about my launch JoyCons drifting (I rarely play in handheld mode). The rep stated they were out of warranty and the repairs would be $40 per JoyCon. I did not have them repaired.

That said, this is great for those in the United Kingdom, European Economic Area, and Switzerland!

For me, in North America: [screams into a pillow]
I literally sent my grey launch joycons (and 2 blue ones I bought the same day) in 2 weeks ago… one was exploded cause kids… one wouldn’t even turn on … two didn’t have the buttons to remove from the switch unit … and one would randomly disconnect from the switch…

I just went online and filled out the form and sent em in… got brand new ones back the next week. FOR FREEEEEEE

(Pro tip always peel the rubber off the sticks so you can get new rubber on them if they don’t outright replace them)

(This is like my 3rd time sending in a bunch)

Back
Top Bottom