• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo to release new Switch bundles in October 6

Damn that's basically a $140 Switch Lite if you were going to buy AC anyway. $140 for an HD handheld with access to the entire Nintendo library, Indies, and selection of AAA games is sick.

Huh. Okay so here’s my take:

So they’re definitely announcing the new hardware before End of Calendar 2023. Bundling the two most popular games for the system ensure these bundles are aimed specifically at people who don’t already own a Switch and, more importantly, would not buy the New Hardware at launch because if a customer was anything other than a very-late adopter they’d already own either or both of those games.

So these bundles exist to ensure there are SOME holiday sales to show shareholders, because IMO if (when) they mention the new hardware before Holiday Shopping season, anyone who was going to replace an old Switch, or upgrade to an OLED, they’re going to hold off, limiting sales. So these bundles ensure they’ll have some sales. TBH that just makes sense.

This is also the by-the-book final holdiay stock-clearing move.

Notice how the OLED isn’t getting a bundle? I think that means that model is sticking around into the life of the new hardware as the lower-cost option.

anyway that’s just what I extrapolate from this.

The New Nintendo Switch will be out next year and we'll still get a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe base Switch bundle.

I keep seeing people saying Nintendo is "clearing out stock" for the future. I do not know how the supply chain works. I imagine they don't have a ton a unboxed Switches lying around - they still have to sell the ones they already made and are already boxed which are sitting in warehouses and in stores. So how does making new bundles help sell through their remaining stock when there's probably way more non-bundle Switches sitting unsold?

I keep seeing people saying Nintendo is "clearing out stock" for the future. I do not know how the supply chain works. I imagine they don't have a ton a unboxed Switches lying around - they still have to sell the ones they already made and are already boxed which are sitting in warehouses and in stores. So how does making new bundles help sell through their remaining stock when there's probably way more non-bundle Switches sitting unsold?
When we say “stock” in this case we’re talking about “stockpile of components.” Nintendo buys a bunch of components (processor, screen, etc) and then assembles them, then boxes them and ships them. The Switches don’t just come into being already assembled, they gotta put ‘em together. I don’t fully know how supply chains work either but from my limited understanding, most of Nintendo’s “stock” isn’t in boxes yet, it’s all in component bins waiting to be put together. Changing up the box and pre-installing MK8DX or ACNH is done at the very end of the assembly process.

What do you mean Nintendo is clearing out stock? This (at least the MK8DX one) is their usual holiday bundle.

We're not getting a price drop this year, as expected. That will probably come when the next system has launched next holiday.

They're 100% clearing out stock
Nah. On the contrary, they're gonna push for more Switch stock, even after the successor launches as the new console will be veeery supply limited.

I don't see Nintendo decreasing Switch production any time before 3 years after the successor launch.

What do you mean Nintendo is clearing out stock? This (at least the MK8DX one) is their usual holiday bundle.
These aren’t holiday bundles. They’re not indicated as being time-limited or anything, they’re just how you buy the system going forward.

Wait, is that... is that a permanent, non-holiday Mario Kart bundle?
FdtlOZtVQAAMjDD

doesn't sound stock clearance considering how there is basically no price cut or whatsoever
sounds more like "let's milk this thing until the end of the world to beat the PS2 LT sales!

before introducing the new console of course lol

They kept almost all the models of the 3DS that still existed in production and circulation for years after the switch launch (they dropped the n3DS non-xl, but that model was unable to ever gain any sort of audience from the start). They're not stopping manufacturing any of the switches any time soon, especially not the cheaper models that have the benefit of, you know, being cheaper which is what you want to keep on the store shelves as the low cost option to the big new expensive hardware for the people/parents who are more budget conscious.

They kept almost all the models of the 3DS that still existed in production and circulation for years after the switch launch (they dropped the n3DS non-xl, but that model was unable to ever gain any sort of audience from the start). They're not stopping manufacturing any of the switches any time soon, especially not the cheaper models that have the benefit of, you know, being cheaper which is what you want to keep on the store shelves as the low cost option to the big new expensive hardware for the people/parents who are more budget conscious.
They could even announce and release a NEW Switch model after the successor launch. New 2DS XL was released on July 28th, 2017, four months after Switch was out.

We could get a Switch Lite OLED sometime next year or even in 2025...

We're not getting a price drop this year, as expected. That will probably come when the next system has launched next holiday.
I mean, we kind of are though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these bundles usually a.) cost more than a standalone Switch or b.) not include a game at all? Those Switch Lites are basically $140.

I'm tempted to get one for my wife. She can start her own island and stop telling me to get off my ass and do mayor shit. Then when she gets tired of it, boom, the kid has a Switch!

I hate that I own a launch day switch and a Zelda Oled, yet despite that am now seriously considering buying the Lite just because it's animal crossing themed.

These aren’t holiday bundles. They’re not indicated as being time-limited or anything, they’re just how you buy the system going forward.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction.

I mean, we kind of are though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these bundles usually a.) cost more than a standalone Switch or b.) not include a game at all? Those Switch Lites are basically $140.

I'm tempted to get one for my wife. She can start her own island and stop telling me to get off my ass and do mayor shit. Then when she gets tired of it, boom, the kid has a Switch!
Yeah, we are. But I thought this wasn't the evidence, because it was the usual holiday bundles. But I was wrong, these are no limited bundles.

i can't believe it took Nintendo over six years to finally bundle Wii Nintendo Switch Sports with the console.
Switch_Sports_bundle_Europe.jpg

it should have been built-in from the start. (unless if you live in Japan, in that case you would always have to buy it seperately)

If these are standard non-holiday bundles, this does look like the sunset price drop disguised with the inclusion of a digital game instead, and the inclusion of a leg strap for that switch sports bundle.

Do we know this for sure? The press release says "while quantities last" and also (for ACNH but not MK8) "select retailers." Comparing it to PR from previous years (2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018... lol), those ones are more specific about it being a Black Friday deal, but I don't see any language distinguishing those as limited but these new bundles as not limited.

I do still think the new bundles are interesting and different than usual, so I'm not arguing about that, just trying to nail down this specific piece of information.

Huh. Okay so here’s my take:

So they’re definitely announcing the new hardware before End of Calendar 2023. Bundling the two most popular games for the system ensure these bundles are aimed specifically at people who don’t already own a Switch and, more importantly, would not buy the New Hardware at launch because if a customer was anything other than a very-late adopter they’d already own either or both of those games.

So these bundles exist to ensure there are SOME holiday sales to show shareholders, because IMO if (when) they mention the new hardware before Holiday Shopping season, anyone who was going to replace an old Switch, or upgrade to an OLED, they’re going to hold off, limiting sales. So these bundles ensure they’ll have some sales. TBH that just makes sense.

This is also the by-the-book final holdiay stock-clearing move.

Notice how the OLED isn’t getting a bundle? I think that means that model is sticking around into the life of the new hardware as the lower-cost option.

anyway that’s just what I extrapolate from this.
Interesting, I still think they wait until after holidays. But if it does release I March like the OG switch. This would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom