• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo takes down all Rhythm Heaven content from Heaven Studio

For dismissing and downplaying the creativity and dedication of fan game developers, you have been permanently threadbanned. -meatbag, TC, Zellia, Karmitt, ISD, DS
What's even the point of fan games? Why are these "fan game developers" not just simply making their own unique creations that they can be proud of?

What's the point of "fan games" in general?

Hopefully these plainly stated questions will help you reply with something of substance instead of just being rude and pointless. Help me understand.
that would require creativity, its just easier to just steal the work of others if your just incapable of creating anything new

Thanks. Needed to hear that. :/ Even after I've explained things in the thread, you chose to do this. Very cool.

You are creative, and nobody who is calling you uncreative understands anything about actually creating art. I'd love to see your fangames sometime.

that would require creativity, its just easier to just steal the work of others if your just incapable of creating anything new
Hey what do you think of VGM covers and remixes?
Implying the Rhythm Heaven fanbase is uncreative because they've loved charting stuff to Rhythm Heaven minigames for over a decade sure is something. They've got more creative output than most Nintendo series.

how does this place keep getting worse at talking about shit like this?

this post sucks!
I don't think we've gotten worse, we've just gotten redundant. Everyone has pretty set in stone opinions on copyright, and nobody is going to change their mind based on something someone posted on an internet forum, so it's the same discussion every time.

Much like the post you're quoting, this is a terrible post and incredibly rude to fan game developers. People who create fan games do it out of passion for a property or character. Is Nintendo going to give me a Mario Bros-esque game where you play as Birdo? Is Sega going to give me an original Saturn style racer where I can play as Lip from Panel de Pon? These aren't even things they'd even consider, but fan game developers have, and they're great to play! There's plenty of creativity there despite using characters that already exist, despite some even using gameplay ideas that exist! Frankly I don't think you have any idea what kind of fan games are actually out there, or even know any of the passionate and creative people who make them just out of the sheer love of a character or property. It's nothing but ignorant to call them unoriginal.

And on another note, it's frankly shameful to see the way Arri has been treated in this thread. She may be making original games at the moment, but she's been part of and knows the fan-game scene better than anyone I know. She's someone people ought to be listening to on this matter, as both a talented developer in her own right and someone who knows and understands what being a fan game developer is actually about.

I'm going back to bed.

Crazy to see people defending a lack of originality and IP theft.
have to wonder if weirdos like yall show up with the same fervor against mods for pc games

this is one of the reasons i kinda hate console-centric spaces in video game discourse lol loser nerds like this get all in their feelings about people making fun little free projects with some massive corporations precious intellectual property. you arent on the team, dog. i know you think you are, but you really arent.

Hey what do you think of VGM covers and remixes?
Implying the Rhythm Heaven fanbase is uncreative because they've loved charting stuff to Rhythm Heaven minigames for over a decade sure is something. They've got more creative output than most Nintendo series.
covers and fanart are homages inspired by a sense of admiration for the original work, its clear your puting your spin on something that exist,its diferent from releasing a song claiming its your original composition with a stolen melody or recoloring mario and saying its your OC, and people who cover the beatles dont go everywhere claiming they better than the beatles

Looks like Nintendo is still up to their usual "IP protection", that being going after totally harmless, non-monetized fan projects born simply out of sincere passion and love. Seeing a few weird and awful takes in this thread. My personal stance is that fan games and ROM hacks rule, I even included badges for two fan games in the Metroid event I previously ran on here. I prefer AM2R (by DoctorM64, who's now at Moon Studios working on an original game) over Samus Returns, and I'm glad I can still play it, despite Nintendo not wanting the fans to have it.

danny-devito-walking-away.gif

covers and fanart are homages inspired by a sense of admiration for the original work, its clear your puting your spin on something that exist,its diferent from releasing a song claiming its your original composition with a stolen melody or recoloring mario and saying its your OC, and people who cover the beatles dont go everywhere claiming they better than the beatles
do you actually believe most fangame developers go "WE'RE BETTER THAN THIS AND THAT" (even though so many have expressed they hate seeing their fangames weaponized this way) or fangames developers claiming they own this IP? lmao get real

tell me that youve never actually touched a fangame without telling me you actually never touched a fangame

do you actually believe most fangame developers go "WE'RE BETTER THAN THIS AND THAT" (even though so many have expressed they hate seeing their fangames weaponized this way) or fangames developers claiming they own this IP? lmao get real

tell me that youve never actually touched a fangame without telling me you actually never touched a fangame
juest read the post above yours

i see nothing wrong said with Aurc's post. he likes AM2R more than Samus Returns, and thats... not a bad thing??? its a valid opinion. the developer themselves arent boasting about this, theres a difference between someone liking one thing and another and a developer being full of themselves about something. guess what isnt occuring!

hey what do you anti-fangame people think about zun's policy with regards to touho fan games? how he just lets people use the characters to make whatever? some truly stellar projects like luna nights and artificial dreams in arcadia are the result of zun allowing other people to freely use the characters he's created, even selling their own games for profit. is this also just uncreative people ripping off someone else's shit?

Yeah, fan game devs don't fucking do that either lol, it's still just from a place of love.

Woah

Hold up

I will allow you to make whatever bad arguments you want to make but I will not allow you to use my buddy aurcs love for AM2R and try to paint it as something toxic! There's nothing wrong with people simply preferring a fan game to an official product!

Agreed. What, did God himself come down from on high and say, "And lo, as surely as the sun rises in the east, the products made by intellectual property holders® will always be superior to similar products made without their consent"? It's the only way any of this could possibly make sense.

Woah

Hold up

I will allow you to make whatever bad arguments you want to make but I will not allow you to use my buddy aurcs love for AM2R and try to paint it as something toxic! There's nothing wrong with people simply preferring a fan game to an official product!
people worked 9-5, every day for years, in a highly stressful environment poiring their passion and years of experience on a project to hear that a rom hack someone made on free time is much better and they just suck,if i worked at mercury steam i be depressed reading this

people worked 9-5, every day for years, in a highly stressful environment poiring their passion and years of experience on a project to hear that a rom hack someone made on free time is much better and they just suck,if i worked at mercury steam i be depressed reading this
Yeah I'm totally sure Aurc was saying Samus Returns sucks and not that he simply preferred the fangame more. Wow. So terrible. Are you seriously going to put words into his mouth? Jesus dude lmao

Really starting to think this thread is really hitting a brickwall, when all we have left are anti fangame people like this arguing in nothing but bad faith and trying to mischaracterize everyone.

you're really in here running your mouth about hurting the feelings of devs after your other posts in this thread? lmao

Video games are art, not products. As such art is subjective and people have preferences and can like whatever they like. People make ga especially with to make money and to create and getting paid to create things is awesome. It's not insulting to say that you like one wor, of art over any other work of art, no matter how much work went into either. Suffering doesn't make something more meaningful

Wild stuff to say when someone just said they prefer a fangame. They didn't shit in Samus Returns, didn't trash the workers or the work they did, it's as respectful as you can get and you drop this horseshit post. I'd be ashamed if I wrote some crap like this unironically.

How on earth are you reading ‘they just suck’ into a personal preference? Iots of people prefer all kinds of indies (or any other random piece of media) made on a shoestring budget in spare time over a big version of something in the same genre. That’s just personal taste. If anyone, anywhere, prefers x to y, it doesn’t automatically follow that y sucks just because y was also dedicated and talented.

I said I preferred AM2R over Samus Returns, that's it. I still think SR is a great game in its own right. I'm not trashing it, I'm just more interested in showing love to fan works right now, especially considering some of the rudeness and ignorance creators like @Arrietty have been made to contend with in this thread. It's stupid to suggest fan game devs are creatively bankrupt just because they wanna play around in the sandbox of their favorite series. Some folks actually get their start operating within the framework of an established IP, before later going on to create their own stuff. Other folks already have their own stuff going, but still choose to work on fan projects because it's fun, and they love the source material. Creativity is stimulated in their efforts, not inhibited.

I prefer a couple of remixes to their original songs, but I don't think that's me saying I think the original songs suck or insulting to the original composer, how did this thread get here?

I said I preferred AM2R over Samus Returns, that's it. I still think SR is a great game in its own right. I'm not trashing it, I'm just more interested in showing love to fan works right now, especially considering some of the rudeness and ignorance creators like @Arrietty have been made to contend with in this thread. It's stupid to suggest fan game devs are creatively bankrupt just because they wanna play around in the sandbox of their favorite series. Some folks actually get their start operating within the framework of an established IP, before later going on to create their own stuff. Other folks already have their own stuff going, but still choose to work on fan projects because it's fun, and they love the source material. Creativity is stimulated in their efforts, not inhibited.
i dont have anything against fan games, is forbidden here, but in other foruns nintendo haters keep bragging about pirating their games and often use fan things this way too,like when mario maker as announced saying theres some similar thing for free, when fire emblem 1 was translated,am2r etc
i was mad at this and a post here about copyright and wrote something nedless provocative and then didnt want to throw in the towel

riddle me this metal lord, considering samus returns is made by a third party studio and not the fine folks who worked at R&D1 in 1990 is it not also something of a fan game itself

chrome_2mX5qFmFlN-removebg-preview.png

i dont have anything against fan games, is forbidden here, but in other foruns nintendo haters keep bragging about pirating their games and often use fan things this way too,like when mario maker as announced saying theres some similar thing for free, when fire emblem 1 was translated,am2r etc
i was mad at this and a post here about copyright and wrote something nedless provocative and then didnt want to throw in the towel
‘That would require creativity’ was definitely pointless. I don’t think Fami needs to concern itself with ‘Nintendo haters on other forums’ when talking about fan games and creativity, copyright, licensing etc.

It’s like what I said earlier that people might disagree but we can at least assume we’re all here in good faith until proven otherwise rather than assume people are ‘haters’ or whatever.

You're gonna inevitably get people saying dumb shit and weaponizing fangames/fantranslations/etc, but believe me when I say the majority of us hate when fans do that.

I do not think shitting on fangame devs and say theyre uncreative and "incapable" of being original is the right take. It's equally unfair to them as it is to shit on the actual devs of these games.

i don't think billion dollar multinationals need defending from forum randos, especially after they do stupid shit like this.

Firstly, I do want to reiterate that I never meant to hurt or offend anybody here whatsoever. I regret some of my reactionary responses to certain posts that had me respond with horrible generalizations across the board as far as fan games go. Such is, unfortunately, how things can go when you are responding to one person and another may read. I should have been more careful with my words and posts.

Secondly, I am aware that fan work also of course involves plenty of creativity and wish everybody that enjoys doing fan games, art, or fiction to continue do so if it brings you joy. That's really wants important in life so by all means I wish you the best and will, for my part, try to navigate nuance of this subject and any sensitive subject with greater care as I mean nobody here any ill will to things that make them happy.

Invaluable contributions to the thread. Don't know what we would do without you.
Anyone else find the irony in posts like this?

Firstly, I do want to reiterate that I never meant to hurt or offend anybody here whatsoever. I regret some of my reactionary responses to certain posts that had me respond with horrible generalizations across the board as far as fan games go. Such is, unfortunately, how things can go when you are responding to one person and another may read. I should have been more careful with my words and posts.

Secondly, I am aware that fan work also of course involves plenty of creativity and wish everybody that enjoys doing fan games, art, or fiction to continue do so if it brings you joy. That's really wants important in life so by all means I wish you the best and will, for my part, try to navigate nuance of this subject and any sensitive subject with greater care as I mean nobody here any ill will to things that make them happy.
Thank you, that is something I needed to hear.

‘That would require creativity’ was definitely pointless. I don’t think Fami needs to concern itself with ‘Nintendo haters on other forums’ when talking about fan games and creativity, copyright, licensing etc.

It’s like what I said earlier that people might disagree but we can at least assume we’re all here in good faith until proven otherwise rather than assume people are ‘haters’ or whatever.
I don't even consider that as hater behavior. "Fans were able to make Mario Maker 10 years ago, and they did a better job" isn't an unreasonable criticism, if that's what you believe. Piracy isn't even hater behavior. It's (and I say this lovingly) cheapskate behavior.

Not that this thread is in need of another poster joining the dogpile, but goddamn are some of the posts in this thread utterly pathetic. Even before the arguement that started last page; anyone cheering on this takedown with any supposed justification (but especially those who believe it'll bring you any closer to an official Rhythm Heaven game on Switch) are lost in their own delusion.

I know there's been some clarification and apologies since, but it really doesn't excuse anyone walking into this thread ready to drop the absolute worst takes out of the gate. Labelling fan works as "theft" and "stealing", something inherently lacking in creativity, or speculating about the people behind them being master manipulators looking to cause drama for your favourite video game company; it all just gives away the game on how you view art. I can't believe we're pulling out the "respect the developers" card in order to only apply it to those contracted by a major publisher, simultaneously diminishing the work of smaller independent creators. When will they be worthy of respect?

I'm so sorry some of you view the world in such a way that you can't imagine anyone placing legitimate passion and effort into something that does not financially benefit them.

Invaluable contributions to the thread. Don't know what we would do without you.
After thinking things through, I would like to reflect on my behavior in this thread.

I've been a fool, and you've been childish
You fell down, you got hurt chasing sweeter dreams
Never could hide the truth in your eyes
That's how I knew that smile was a lie

I love you is something you never say
Couldn't get it out, always just pulled away
So then why, please won't you tell me why
You could find the words to say goodbye

I'm such a mess, I'm lost, I'm no good at this
I'm in love, still in love, still in love with you
Hard as I try, I can't even drink this pain away
Memories of you, twisting my view, I've been a fool.

yamanoi has somehow obtained jester's privilege far stronger than even my own

as someone who has fallen in the IP protection mentality trap before, here's a little secret for everybody: other people's works building on, or even copying, your own has no negative impact on continuing your own work outside of the confines of capitalism. if this stayed up and nintendo people wanted to make their own rhythm heaven maker they absolutely could and some would even still be interested just by way of it being official (which in such a paradigm would really only mean anything if some original creators or their direct successors were involved but I digress). they still could have made that metroid 2 remake because hey some people would be interested in the nintendo take

in real life yes tsunko boy isn't getting his deserved bag or whatever but I feel like he's doing alright

also I will gleefully be calling pikmin 4 (outsourced) a fan game from now on

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom