• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo takes down all Rhythm Heaven content from Heaven Studio

Andre3333456

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him

This is a tool used for creating songs with recreations of Rhythm Games from Rhythm Heaven, but recently Nintendo filed a DMCA to Heaven Studio, all of its source code from its github page are taken down, the devs had confirmed that they will bring it back without anything related to Rhythm Heaven.

Similar events like this happen within the past that sometimes lead into the reveal of a brand new game (AM2R to Metroid 2 3DS remake), so is it possible that Nintendo will reveal a new Rhythm Heaven title for the Nintendo Switch in the future?

Maybe this is coming ahead of a new Rhythm Heaven, but either way, I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't counting the days until Nintendo's lawyers learned about this game and classified it as a problem to be dealt with.

Nintendo is the only one that "defends" its copyrights this zealously, but these small fan projects shouldn't depend on the good will of multinational corporations. We need copyright reform.

I'm surprised such a project left itself so vulnerable to this kind of take down notice. Osu has existed for decades being essentially a free 2 play make your own Ouedan/EBA and afaik has never come under fire likely since it just took the core gameplay concept and nothing else from Ouedan/EBA. If this Heaven Studio used source code from official Nintendo games along with official Nintendo assets, that's shocking to me they thought Nintendo of all companies would look the other way.

Man, Nintendo is so fucking garbage. I don't really care if this means a new game is coming or not, it does not make up for this and frankly we shouldn't be happy about this either.

I'm surprised such a project left itself so vulnerable to this kind of take down notice. Osu has existed for decades being essentially a free 2 play make your own Ouedan/EBA and afaik has never come under fire likely since it just took the core gameplay concept and nothing else from Ouedan/EBA. If this Heaven Studio used source code from official Nintendo games along with official Nintendo assets, that's shocking to me they thought Nintendo of all companies would look the other way.
Everything was coded from scratch and all assets were entirely redrawn. We don't even have decompilations of the source code at all, and no official remixes were included.

Everything was coded from scratch and all assets were entirely redrawn. We don't even have decompilations of the source code at all, and no official remixes were included.
I guess I misunderstood what the OP meant by "removing all its source code and getting rid of any references to RH".

Dang I wish I knew about this software earlier. Is there any way to download it still?

Concerning fangame/mod stuff, I think the biggest issue is that people can create new content using that brand, and that can kinda limit the "originality" of official games. And obviously just intellectual property stuff. Do I agree with this or not? Idk, it does make sense at least. Also people don't seem to understand this, but sharing (especially online) is where the problem is. People are still free to make fangames, fanart, mods, on their own without sharing.

Last edited:
Dang I wish I knew about this software earlier. Is there any way to download it still?

Concerning fangame/mod stuff, I think the biggest issue is that people can create new content using that brand, and that can kinda limit the "originality" of official games. And obviously just intellectual property stuff. Do I agree with this or not? Idk, it does make sense at least. Also people don't seem to understand this but sharing, especially online is where the problem is. People are still free to make fangames, fanart, mods, on their own without sharing.
Except Nintendo is the one who seems to have the biggest problem with it...

Honestly "fans made" cannot be the shield of damaging Nintendo's property right. Especially about games.

For example, if Fortnite can use "fans made content" to add Samus in their game, then why Epic need to make deal with Nintendo? That is unreasonable.

Honestly "fans made" cannot be the shield of damaging Nintendo's property right. Especially about games.

For example, if Fortnite can use "fans made content" to add Samus in their game, then why Epic need to make deal with Nintendo? That is unreasonable.
Fan games has never ever became a problem for sequels to exist. This is a ridiculous statement.

This comparison doesn't make any sense

Nintendo once again being lame as all hell. Anything that was on the internet stays on the internet. But it is still stupid. Especially with a series that hasn't had a game in many years.

Except Nintendo is the one who seems to have the biggest problem with it...
Multiple reasons I can think of, but main reason I think you're just exposed to media bias. Nintendo is arguably the biggest brand in gaming so no wonder why. If you want examples, Take-two took down mods, Valve took down fanprojects, Sega has done it multiple times despite the reputation, but Nintendo gets the most clicks obviously.

This comparison doesn't make any sense
I know that fans made this coz they love that, but from Nintendo point of view, if they allow that, then they are just giving out their characters/games for free. Although i agree sometimes they may take it too serious, but the problem is still here.

Garry mod case is the real example of this. Valve have no deal with Nintendo, but their games have Mario on it, is it make sense to you?

Actually, not only Nintendo, other companies that own popular IPs will do so in order to protect their properties. Unless we can solve this problem (maybe make it approved by official in some way), those companies will keep take-down those things.

Last edited:
Nintendo refuses to give us new rhythm heaven, and takes about the projects fans make. This doesn‘t hurt anybody, doesn’t do anything but show respect for their work, and is free. Fantastic job Nintendo, you took down a passion project for your work and pissed off your fans for literally no reason

This is one of those over protective lawyer things that i understand why nintendo does it but it's still lame as hell
if you have fans who love your products so much they want to create fan projects like this, punishing them is just hurting yourself.

Good thing I downloaded a version of this fan game when it first released, I figured this would happen sooner than later. Still sucks that this did happen though as we don’t even know if a new rhythm heaven is even being made and how plausible that even is rn.

The simple answer would have been to
Make it a highly derivative rip off but have the name and everything be different.

Rather than nitnendo fan games make your own games Bassically, I’m glad mother 4 became its own thing

Some of y'all are yapping about some nonsense in here. This fan project doesn't hurt a thing.

Maybe they should drop a new Rhythm Heaven if they cared so much lol.

it's possible they have a Rhythm Heaven game coming, it's also possible the project got too much attention and finally caught Nintendo Ninja's attention.

Man, Nintendo is so fucking garbage. I don't really care if this means a new game is coming or not, it does not make up for this and frankly we shouldn't be happy about this either.
If people want to make very copycat games, great, that's how genres grow. But even back when FPSs were called "Doom clones", it didn't mean other games were cool to just redraw Doom sprites.

If people want to make very copycat games, great, that's how genres grow. But even back when FPSs were called "Doom clones", it didn't mean other games were cool to just redraw Doom sprites.
Saying this while using a series that is very famously community driven in every single way, from megawads to source ports that keep the game playable on modern hardware and ported to everything under the sun, to even commercial games using forks of it's engine TO THIS DAY like Selaco is really ironic.

MyHouse.wad is genuinely an incredible use of video games as a medium for story telling, and it did it through Doom. Nintendo would have nuked it from orbit if someone tried doing that with one of their IPs and got as popular as it did.

You cannot compare Heaven Studio, a tool to make Rhythm Heaven custom remixes easier, something that clever video editors have done for YEARS, while also making them playable to a full commercial game using these assets. Get real.

If ripping off assets for a commercial game would be bad, making it cheap or free would... still be ripping off assets.
Compared to the fact none of the entries in the series are even AVAILABLE? Tengoku's not even on NSO. Making no money off the product and just being an easier way to do the thing the fanbase has done for at least a decade. By this logic, Youtube uploads of Remix 10 from Fever with millions of views are "ripping off" Nintendo's assets. They claim no ownership of said assets, just like when someone makes a romhack or Doom wad, they're not pretending like they made Doom.

This is not a Doom wad or ROM hack, though, which (in best case) just include unique content that can be used in addition to the original game. This is a recreation. If they claim no ownership of the assets, it seems obvious that distributing them crosses a line.

That the series is in a lull and the past games aren't currently available for new purchase is unfortunate, but irrelevant.

This is the way.

This is not a Doom wad or ROM hack, though, which (in best case) just include unique content that can be used in addition to the original game. This is a recreation. If they claim no ownership of the assets, it seems obvious that distributing them crosses a line.

That the series is in a lull and the past games aren't currently available for new purchase is unfortunate, but irrelevant.

This is the way.

The fact people keep referring to Heaven Studio as a game is basically all I need to hear that it's people not really knowing what Nintendo took down.
It was a tool to replace video editing first and foremost. It'd be like going after the Spriters Resource for ripping and distributing Nintendo assets. If you see it as a game, there's not much there.
This would take 0 sales from a new Rhythm Heaven if one ever comes out, and replaces nothing except earlier fan projects.

This is a fan thing, this isn't some sold product. This is not the same thing. Ugh. This is just a fun thing for fans to do that harms ultimately nothing. As someone with a fangame and indie background, this kind of posts really gets on my nerves. :/

Last edited:
This is a fan thing, this isn't some sold product. This is not the same thing. Ugh. This is just a fun thing for fans to do that harms ultimately nothing. As someone with a fangame and indie background, this kind of posts really gets on my nerves. :/

I feel this so hard. One of the few corporate misinformation campaigns that was successful was the one for copyright. So many people believe that copyright means owning ideas the way you own land, and that's an unquestionably good thing. It makes me wanna tear my hair out whenever people say, "Hey, its their property, they can do whatever they want with it, stop complaining." It's like saying, "Sure, corporations have made it so that they don't have to pay taxes, but that's the way the law is, stop complaining." They stole the public domain from us. They took it for their own profit, against our own interests, by subverting the legal system for their benefit. Of course people can and should complain.

...copyright was only ever meant to be a temporary incentive given to creators to encourge the creation of new works. "Nobody would come up with new things if they couldn't profit from them. So, for 14 years, we'll give people a monopoly on whatever work they make." The reason that all work goes into the public domain after that period is that it's our cultural heritage and also a critical part of encourging the creation of new work. That's not me waxing poetic--that is the official legal justification for the public domain.

Super Mario Bros. was released in 1985. Zelda was released months later. Imagine what the gaming landscape would look like if their copyrights had expired in 2000.

I feel this so hard. One of the few corporate misinformation campaigns that was successful was the one for copyright. So many people believe that copyright means owning ideas the way you own land, and that's an unquestionably good thing. It makes me wanna tear my hair out whenever people say, "Hey, its their property, they can do whatever they want with it, stop complaining." It's like saying, "Sure, corporations have made it so that they don't have to pay taxes, but that's the way the law is, stop complaining." They stole the public domain from us. They took it for their own profit, against our own interests, by subverting the legal system for their benefit. Of course people can and should complain.

...copyright was only ever meant to be a temporary incentive given to creators to encourge the creation of new works. "Nobody would come up with new things if they couldn't profit from them. So, for 14 years, we'll give people a monopoly on whatever work they make." The reason that all work goes into the public domain after that period is that it's our cultural heritage and also a critical part of encourging the creation of new work. That's not me waxing poetic--that is the official legal justification for the public domain.

Super Mario Bros. was released in 1985. Zelda was released months later. Imagine what the gaming landscape would look like if their copyrights had expired in 2000.
Yeah copyright is just so stupid. I'm an anarchist (not beating the puppy girl stereotypes) and I just feel likemideas should belong to everyone as opposed to how companies can monopolise creation. If the 14 year limit was still in place, anything released before 2011 would be public domain. Anyone could make a new super bloody mario, or pikmin temptation and pikmin sin could be real. Pokemon would belong to everyone. It's intellectual landlordism

Defending big ass companies ain't gonna do much for you the record. They don't care about you being their knight in shining armor. All of us are just consumers and customers to them, not friends with meaningful connections. Get a grip. Actually being glad or supporting actions like this seems really weird to me.

Defending big ass companies ain't gonna do much for you the record.
Nothing that anyone posts on an internet message board is gonna “do much for you” regardless of what it is. People are just expressing their opinions, it’s not like anyone expects to be “rewarded” for doing so. Some people have beliefs/value systems that don’t always focus strictly on what’s best for them as individuals at that moment.

Literally how are making fangames any different than drawing fanart? What I get is that according to half of the people in this thread, Nintendo should take down fanart online because fans stealing their designs and characters.

Defending big ass companies ain't gonna do much for you the record. They don't care about you being their knight in shining armor. All of us are just consumers and customers to them, not friends with meaningful connections. Get a grip. Actually being glad or supporting actions like this seems really weird to me.
Super bizarre behavior.

I think creators should be able to control what happens with their properties. What protects the rights of corporations also protects the rights of small groups or individual creators. I don't feel comfortable drawing a line to say groups over a certain size or level of success should no longer have their wishes respected.
I used to assume this was the case, too, that only corporations cared for longer copyrights. But I have seen individual creators reacting negatively to people wanting much shorter copyright terms, because it could give them less control over their creations, not allow their descendants control over it for a time after they're gone, things like that. No idea how broad such sentiments are.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo, I guess. It's incredibly frustrating, they don't need to do this - trademarks need to be protected, but copyright doesn't (despite the frustratingly pervasive misconception). You don't see Sega or Capcom going after Sonic or Mega Man fan games (I believe Capcom did take down a Resident Evil 2 fan remake, but only because they had their own remake in the works and if I recall correctly they actually invited the folks making it to their offices to give feedback).

Nintendo are the Disney of gaming, for all the good and ill that entails.

I used to assume this was the case, too, that only corporations cared for longer copyrights. But I have seen individual creators reacting negatively to people wanting much shorter copyright terms, because it could give them less control over their creations, not allow their descendants control over it for a time after they're gone, things like that. No idea how broad such sentiments are.
I'd say it's a mixture of copyright being seen by so many as an unambiguously "good thing", arguably thanks to what is basically propaganda pushed by large corporates who benefit from such sentiments, and people thinking that they'll have the next big hit and thus reap all the long-term benefits of life-long copyright, when in fact the vast majority of creators won't see anywhere near that kind of benefit. I'd honestly estimate the number of people who benefit from copyright in any meaningful fashion beyond 10+ years are the literal 1% or less.

I'd honestly argue that copyright is a necessary evil brought about by the realities of the capitalistic system we live in, not a good. It was lobbied for by publishers in an era where the internet didn't exist. If everyone had a universal living wage, there would functionally be little reason for copyright terms to last beyond a decade, if at all.

Please refrain from using sexist gendered language, even if it's for criticism of corporations. - Tangerine Cookie, Zellia, BassForever, meatbag
I'm very much a "Nuke Copyright Entirely" guy so take that as you will.

Nintendo needs to stop being pussies about fangames. Aaaaw! is multimillion dollar company scared that their new fancy game isn't as good as an open source project made by like 6 people in their free time? Bite me.

I think creators should be able to control what happens with their properties. What protects the rights of corporations also protects the rights of small groups or individual creators. I don't feel comfortable drawing a line to say groups over a certain size or level of success should no longer have their wishes respected.

I'm a writer and ni largely feel copyright is oppressive, though also with capitalism, no copyright would just make companies even more powerful I guess, and would make earning a living off of art near impossible. I don't know, I just want people to make whatever and be creative , and that's why I believe in 10 years copyright

Yeah copyright is just so stupid. I'm an anarchist (not beating the puppy girl stereotypes) and I just feel likemideas should belong to everyone as opposed to how companies can monopolise creation. If the 14 year limit was still in place, anything released before 2011 would be public domain. Anyone could make a new super bloody mario, or pikmin temptation and pikmin sin could be real. Pokemon would belong to everyone. It's intellectual landlordism

Even if , for some insane reason you think that rights laws as defined in , apparently, 1790s America makes any sense whatsoever in application to the state of the world in 2024 [it doesn't, it shouldn't need explaining to anyone why literally 4 industrial revolutions ago would need revision to appropriately take in to account the modern state of the world. After 14 years, nobody would have given the least of fucks about anything that old in 1790 while in the modern era works from a hundred years ago are easily accessible to everybody. Even then, it was 28 years back in 1790 as long as the creators were alive, so.], that misses the major irony in all of this, that of course, is you and other "anarchists" only care about mario/pokemon/whatever because Nintendo put so much time and effort in to making them valuable. If you wanted other Rhythm heaven like products, there are numerous other great off brand entries, such as Melatonin, Bits 'n' Bops, and the upcoming Rift of the Necrodancer, but nobody ever holds these in as high regard for even small series because Nintendo is puts in an absurd amount of work to make sure their IP stays valuable.

Even if , for some insane reason you think that rights laws as defined in , apparently, 1790s America makes any sense whatsoever in application to the state of the world in 2024 [it doesn't, it shouldn't need explaining to anyone why literally 4 industrial revolutions ago would need revision to appropriately take in to account the modern state of the world. After 14 years, nobody would have given the least of fucks about anything that old in 1790 while in the modern era works from a hundred years ago are easily accessible to everybody. Even then, it was 28 years back in 1790 as long as the creators were alive, so.], that misses the major irony in all of this, that of course, is you and other "anarchists" only care about mario/pokemon/whatever because Nintendo put so much time and effort in to making them valuable. If you wanted other Rhythm heaven like products, there are numerous other great off brand entries, such as Melatonin, Bits 'n' Bops, and the upcoming Rift of the Necrodancer, but nobody ever holds these in as high regard for even small series because Nintendo is puts in an absurd amount of work to make sure their IP stays valuable.
Look I understand what you're saying but my dream would be writing sequels to niche b movies of the 80s and 90s that I can't because large distributors bought the rights to in massive acquisitions but don't care about because they're not mario/zelda/pokemon big. I'd like reduced copyright so people can actually do stuff with Malibu comics characters instead of one person blocking anyone including their creators from doing anything with them. I want reduced copyright so one of the most popular media franchises isn't owned by a horrible woman who wants my extermination. I want reduced copyright so I could legally play jump-start artist for pc or so theres a legal way to watch movies from before the 2000s without hoping it's popular or gets an arrow/eureka release. Yes I want stuff from big popular works of art too, twoface is long due a reshape by a plural writer as stuff like the People's Joker shows. I'd like mother fan projects to stop being stopped by Nintendo. I'd like Birdo to be trans again and kiss transfem Bubsy on the mouth. I want the characters from Clocktower the Struggle Within to come back and lord knows everyone hates that game

I'm a writer and ni largely feel copyright is oppressive, though also with capitalism, no copyright would just make companies even more powerful I guess, and would make earning a living off of art near impossible. I don't know, I just want people to make whatever and be creative , and that's why I believe in 10 years copyright
I do believe we can live in a non-copyright capitalistic world, but it would have to require a major reconfiguration of how we even "buy" products, and is not like stuff artists use already to make a living like Patreon and Commissions would go away imo.

Back
Top Bottom