• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New Summer 2024 Poll!

Starting June 19th, which library will add the most games to the service by the end of 2024?

• NES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SNES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N64

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • GB/GBC

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • GBA

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Sega Genesis

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Really dislike siloing these off in their own app. I’m sure it was the only way to avoid slapping an M rating on the entire n64 library but it’s annoying. Just useless clutter. They also aren’t even listed in the NSO App Library, like they don’t even count.

Yeah, after today I think we are going blind for quite a while with the NSO. There isn't any roadmap or upcoming games that we know of. I wouldn't even bet on the September direct doing a roadmap. Maybe we will get another drop of Rare games then. Otherwise it is going to just be monthly drops for a while.

I feel even more comfortable with my prediction that we are not going to see any new services until after the Switch 2 launches. Hopefully everything will smoothly transfer over to the new system on day 1. Also, it would be nice if we could get another Sega Genesis drop (cough- Phantasy Star 2)

Lastly, I think we need a new poll for this thread.

Yeah, after today I think we are going blind for quite a while with the NSO. There isn't any roadmap or upcoming games that we know of. I wouldn't even bet on the September direct doing a roadmap. Maybe we will get another drop of Rare games then. Otherwise it is going to just be monthly drops for a while.

I feel even more comfortable with my prediction that we are not going to see any new services until after the Switch 2 launches. Hopefully everything will smoothly transfer over to the new system on day 1. Also, it would be nice if we could get another Sega Genesis drop (cough- Phantasy Star 2)

Lastly, I think we need a new poll for this thread.
At the very least they’re being very consistent(even if last months NSO EP releases were probably packed into this shadow drop).

Makes me very curious whats in store for n64 cause it seems they’re grabbing everything they can. I doubt Konami or WB/midway is off the list

Roadmaps are likely finished I think, because I also think we're not getting any more new consoles. As much as we still want Banjo-Tooie or DK64, they will continue to drip feed to the bitter end it looks like, haha.

Roadmaps are likely finished I think, because I also think we're not getting any more new consoles. As much as we still want Banjo-Tooie or DK64, they will continue to drip feed to the bitter end it looks like, haha.
Hey at least we’re getting batches of n64 stuff now. Rare batch, Throwback batch, M batch. Wouldn’t be shocked by a Donkey Kong batch, a Konami batch, Sega batch(puyo puyo/snowboard kids). Still hopeful for Mischief makers and Flying dragons too.

I’ll restate what I said previously: I’d rather have a consistent / regular drop of content over roadmaps. That drought at the start of the year was brutal.

You give me a new drop every two weeks and I’m not going to care about what is left to release.

I don't think we are getting any new consoles for the base Switch.

We might end up getting more for the sucessor.

We'll probably get new systems on Switch 2. The drip feed makes sense once you realize they need releases for Switch 2. It's to keep people subscribed.

Yeah honestly I'm fine with not getting anymore roadmaps as long as the games keep flowing on in.

I hope us getting a big blow out with four whole N64/GBA games doesn't mean that they'll sit out the next month.

At the very least they’re being very consistent(even if last months NSO EP releases were probably packed into this shadow drop).

Makes me very curious whats in store for n64 cause it seems they’re grabbing everything they can. I doubt Konami or WB/midway is off the list

I'm with you on the Konami stuff at least. Chances feels really good.

Ok folks, time for a new poll. For those curious, here were the final results. I love the optimism from everyone!

M9bbuhn.png

So Turok has funky controls where movement is mapped to the C-buttons (or in the Switch's case, right thumbstick) and the camera is mapped to the left thumbstick. Considering how my right Joy-Con suffers with drift that impedes upward movement, it's much, much harder to play for me. I'll have to remap the controls somehow to make it playable.

yea, finally played through the first level of Turok, and those controls did take a bit to get used to, but once I did, I did find to have a lot of fun with it so far. Really enjoy the level design, and the gun gameplay is fun. Honestly very tempted to also buy the remastered version of this later on.

Online play is still with friends only, right? I can’t just hop on for Four Swords or Perfect Dark with randoms?

I wonder what other games could potentially come to the Mature 17+ app.

I think the big one people are anticipating is Conker's Bad Fur Day, but I won't get my hopes up for that. Though having online multiplayer for it would be incredible.

I find interesting to have Turok on NSO, since there's already the Nightdive remaster on Switch; maybe we'll end getting DOOM 64 and Quake II after all

Okay, I'm going to need to pony up the cash for an N64 controller, because trying to play an N64 FPS with this control scheme just isn't happening.

I wonder what other games could potentially come to the Mature 17+ app.

I think the big one people are anticipating is Conker's Bad Fur Day, but I won't get my hopes up for that. Though having online multiplayer for it would be incredible.
Mace the dark ages, the 3 Mortal Kombat Games, War Gods, just to name a few

Konami, Sega, Square, and Capcom are the big third parties for GBA support. Problem is that both Konami and Capcom are selling collections for some of their GBA titles so who knows if we'll see Castlevania or Mega Man. But Konami still has a lot of their back catalog. Sega almost seems like a sure thing considering the Genesis NSO app. Hopefully the Sonic Advance games all make it over soon. They'd be good releases right this holiday with Sonic X Shadow and the third movie coming out.

Square is the big unknown for me. I hope at least FFTA gets on there.

Looking at it now, I kinda find it funny that we have more N64 games here in the West than they do in Japan. I know they eventually got blast corps and golden eye, but as of right now, they don't have extreme-G, Iggy's Reckin' Balls, Turok, Dr. Mario, and Pokemon Puzzle Leauge. I know that at least two of those never released in Japan in general, but I wonder why the others aren't out yet on the NSO

At some point, Nintendo has to get 3rd parties on board with the GBA app.

I hope so. I am thinking either Banjo - Kazooie Grunty's Revenge, or one of the Sonic games will be the first.

Looking at it now, I kinda find it funny that we have more N64 games here in the West than they do in Japan. I know they eventually got blast corps and golden eye, but as of right now, they don't have extreme-G, Iggy's Reckin' Balls, Turok, Dr. Mario, and Pokemon Puzzle Leauge. I know that at least two of those never released in Japan in general, but I wonder why the others aren't out yet on the NSO

I hope so. I am thinking either Banjo - Kazooie Grunty's Revenge, or one of the Sonic games will be the first.
To be fair that’ll reverse quickly if they get more Japanese dev support. Like wonder project j or Goemon’s board game spinoff or Shiren 2

WB is so stingy to work with for retro stuff that it's like pulling teeth; zero chance they'd ever give their stuff to a sub service if they won't even bother doing their own compilations from devs who offer to work for them on stuff like MK (which keeps getting rejected, per boone). I may be doubtful on Konami outside of maybe bomberman stuff since that was on past VC since they seem more inclined to compile stuff later down the line and make more money that way, but at least we have precedent with Bomberman. I could also see their one off games nobody cares about like rakuga kids being thrown up one day.

It's kinda amazing how suddenly the N64 app ballooned and just destroyed all VC services. I was doubtful we'd ever see a single third party on NSO N64 due to how slow NES/SNES were, but here we are and they still don't care to emulate a memory card lol, which i guess opens up a bunch of games that don't just refuse to play without one inserted. Nightdive is under atari who published Turok, which means anything current atari owns could be up for NSO too. That's a lot of infogrames stuff.

For third party GBA, I'm thinkin Namco may throw up a few things. The drillers and Cabbits, for one. Maybe Sigma Star Saga provided it doesn't end up in LRG hell. Piko interactive have some legitimately great GBA stuff too like Iridion 3D/II they could throw up, along with Blender Bros.

I still doubt Sega will ever grace GBA NSO due to their weird hastily made western contracts from that time with THQ, (where THQ may still be the exclusive publisher for western GBA stuff, and i dunno if MS's deal with them on Rare was that as well but I'd hope not lol, but then again they weren't in replay...) but I'd at least like them to be japanese exclusive so I can play em. Though if Embracer is on board via GBC, I'd like the GBC/GBA Tomb Raider games, they're darn fun gems.

I'd hope for Gex 64 too but that's not Embracer, Square Enix still fully owns that lmao, they figured he was worth keeping

With Perfect Dark on NSO, I wonder if they will put up the GBC game.

Sadly, I will have to get the All Guns cheat the hard way instead of cheering it with the Transfer Pak.

So, I'd assume this is the final update for the first six months of the year, and as an update to my running tally for the service outside Japan here's how things stand for the first half of 2024:

• 25 titles in total added
  • 15 base, 10 EP
  • 11 GB, 5 GBA, 5 N64, 2 SNES, 2 NES, 0 MD

At the current pace, we'd hit 50 titles for the year, which would be the highest ever total for NSO, beating 2019's 46 titles. As I'd suggested, the EP addition rate would drop from 28-30 in previous years down to around 20 (assuming we get 10 more games in the next six months), while the base tier would be at 30 additions, the highest total since 2019.

I really like these NSO trailers Nintendo puts out for old games. Some even have stingers at the end of them post title card as if they're teasing a surprise for a new game.

I still would have wanted any kind of roadmap, because while this 17+ app does start to dig them out of the hole, it still feels inexcusable that Smash is yet to be added.

I genuinely don't understand what the hold up is. Earthbound and Beginnings are on NSO, Mother 3 in Japan, so Itoi has no problem now, nor did he have a problem signing off on SSB on Wii VC. Are they actively working on making the online mode not an embarrassment? Because I've already resigned myself to it being a less than stellar experience where it's only best suited for local MP anyways, but just...I dunno, maybe I should just shut up and take what I'm given with grumbling thanks.

I still would have wanted any kind of roadmap, because while this 17+ app does start to dig them out of the hole, it still feels inexcusable that Smash is yet to be added.

I genuinely don't understand what the hold up is. Earthbound and Beginnings are on NSO, Mother 3 in Japan, so Itoi has no problem now, nor did he have a problem signing off on SSB on Wii VC. Are they actively working on making the online mode not an embarrassment? Because I've already resigned myself to it being a less than stellar experience where it's only best suited for local MP anyways, but just...I dunno, maybe I should just shut up and take what I'm given with grumbling thanks.
No idea why you would think Itoi would be the problem? If it's not on NSO yet it's because they are saving it for a key moment. I could see it coming this holiday.

Yeah they'd def wanna make a huge deal out of SSB coming to NSO so it'd most likely drop during a key time. Maybe September/October since that's when most people's subscriptions are up for renewal iirc. Otherwise the holiday season is what makes most sense to me

I don't think there's anything in particular holding back most Nintendo first-party titles beyond however Nintendo has decided to organize their release calendar. If they aren't releasing [X] game yet, they probably don't think it's the right time. That said, I'm going to predict Super Smash Bros. and Donkey Kong 64 dropping before the end of the year, to celebrate both games' 25th anniversaries.

No idea why you would think Itoi would be the problem? If it's not on NSO yet it's because they are saving it for a key moment. I could see it coming this holiday.
Normally I don't; I only bring up the point because I've read others in the past point out Itoi's approval was necessary for SSB on Wii VC but somehow the game skipped Wii U VC...which seems contradictory, given that console had both Earthbound re-released and Earthbound Beginnings localized for North America

Yeah they'd def wanna make a huge deal out of SSB coming to NSO so it'd most likely drop during a key time. Maybe September/October since that's when most people's subscriptions are up for renewal iirc. Otherwise the holiday season is what makes most sense to me
I hope so, it was just frustrating seeing how they wanted to celebrate SSB for the 10 year anniversary in Japan during the month of release for Wii VC in January 2009, but April 2009 came and went without so much a hiccup in North America for the VC release that it wasn't acknowledged until December that year.

I don't think there's anything in particular holding back most Nintendo first-party titles beyond however Nintendo has decided to organize their release calendar. If they aren't releasing [X] game yet, they probably don't think it's the right time. That said, I'm going to predict Super Smash Bros. and Donkey Kong 64 dropping before the end of the year, to celebrate both games' 25th anniversaries.
I genuinely hope so both games make a release for this year.

It's still difficult for me to shake the feeling of NSO getting rebooted with a new console even if it is nothing more than negativity and paranoia with nothing to actually back up the claim; I just don't want to only get to replay the game for all of a handful of months before a new console arrives and then it's back to square one waiting another seven years for it to show up well overdue to actually showcase the appeal and value of NSO.

Back
Top Bottom