• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New Summer 2024 Poll!

Starting June 19th, which library will add the most games to the service by the end of 2024?

• NES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SNES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N64

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • GB/GBC

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • GBA

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Sega Genesis

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Some number thoughts:

Base additions are moving at a solid pace after the last few multi-game updates for GB. 11 GB, 2 NES and 2 SNES titles added so far this year for 15 games coming to the base tier in the first six months of 2024. This compares favourably to the full year totals for 2023 (24 games), 2022 (13), 2021 (12), 2020 (20). If Nintendo kept up the current pace, then 2024 would be the best year for the base tier since 2019, which had 46 additions. My guess is we shouldn't do any worse than last year and we're probably looking at somewhere between 9 and 15 more games coming to the base tier later this year.

Expansion Pack content however is another story. Without new DLC additions and without Mega Drive additions, we're on six titles added so far for this year; 3 on GBA and 3 on N64. That compares to annual totals of 30 (2021) and 28 (2022, 2023) titles in previous years, which also saw the additions of multiple DLCs. Even leaving aside the end of Mario Kart DLC waves, Nintendo are well behind the pace when it comes to classic game additions for the Expansion Pack. Perhaps there's a feeling the cumulative offering - 48 tracks for Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 DLC, Animal Crossing DLC, and ~90 classic games - is justified. However, as I said a few months ago, without the Mega Drive it's become impossible for Nintendo to maintain that pretty consistent 28-30 game pace for the Expansion Pack. And without further DLC offerings, there's a danger some of the work Nintendo have done to improve the Expansion Pack offering since launch now begins to fall somewhat flat.

As far as annual totals go, Nintendo have hit 40 to 50 additions to NSO most of the time (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023). If they keep up the current rate of base tier releases, then they'd achieve that amount again even without improving the pace of EP updates. Based on the current EP pace of 6 titles in 5 months, and 15 base titles in six months, they could hit 42 releases this year by maintaining the current pace. As I speculated a few months ago, the GB and base tier would do the bulk of the heavy lifting in the absence of further EP content beyond roughly monthly GBA/N64 updates.

My assumption for the rest of the year is that the base tier continues as is, with GB dominating the updates but odd NES and SNES titles popping up. The Expansion Pack is more interesting, though. NSO launched in 2018 and got the EP added in 2021. Much like the base tier of NSO after its first two years, the Expansion Pack now appears to be running out of steam a little. It will definitely get monthly updates, but my question really is whether Nintendo feel compelled to refresh the service by either adding another console app, further DLC, or doing something else.
They have still a lot of GBA games, and just speaking of first party. If they start adding third party games for GBA, 12 games per year, they could have easily 3 more years at least. And we are still lacking key games from N64, first and even third party.

I'm pretty sure the lack of EP update means they are cooking something for the upcoming direct.

They have still a lot of GBA games, and just speaking of first party. If they start adding third party games for GBA, 12 games per year, they could have easily 3 more years at least. And we are still lacking key games from N64, first and even third party.
Yeah my point was less that they've run out of games and more that they can't keep up the pace of content they've managed in the first two years of Expansion Pack, when Mega Drive additions and Mario Kart tracks came along every few months. They could go for years adding a dozen or so GBA and N64 titles per year, yes, but that still represents a downgrade versus the first couple of years of the service.
I'm pretty sure the lack of EP update means they are cooking something for the upcoming direct.
I'm wondering that too.

Yeah my point was less that they've run out of games and more that they can't keep up the pace of content they've managed in the first two years of Expansion Pack, when Mega Drive additions and Mario Kart tracks came along every few months. They could go for years adding a dozen or so GBA and N64 titles per year, yes, but that still represents a downgrade versus the first couple of years of the service.

I'm wondering that too.
Yes that's true. Just with retro games they are appealing to a lesser audience. Either they increase the pace of including games or they start including old DLCs like xenoblade 2 or even some third party like the warriors games.

Or they could include Dreamcast, but that would be a dream.

I would imagine that it would start making sense to include more DLC relatively soon. That can provide value to members without stripping away a huge revenue source - I can't imagine that once the Switch 2 comes out that there is going to be a huge group of people looking to purchase DLC for something like Luigi's Mansion 3, for example.

Yes that's true. Just with retro games they are appealing to a lesser audience. Either they increase the pace of including games or they start including old DLCs like xenoblade 2 or even some third party like the warriors games.

Or they could include Dreamcast, but that would be a dream.
I feel like a broken record on this, but I'm shocked adding dlcs old or new to the subscription hasn't been more of a thing. "If you enjoy Xeno 3, you can get Xeno 2 on sale on the eshop and get the dlc free with the EP" is such obvious marketing synergy to boost old games and they just don't do it.

hopefully they start including more obscure games when they run out and people FINALLY start giving them a chance instead of going "Who asked for this?" every single freaking time!
We already got Quest For Camelot, which is peak "...who asked for this...?", it's all downhill from there.

hopefully they start including more obscure games when they run out and people FINALLY start giving them a chance instead of going "Who asked for this?" every single freaking time!

there's always someone asking for everything anyways

I feel like there's probably someone out there writing sad letters asking for Superman 64 as we speak

"dear Mr. Nintendo,

as we approach the 20th anniversary of my brother's demise I am once again asking for you to put Superman 64 on the Nintendo Switch, me and him were never particularly close but one day not so long after his cancer diagnosis I was visiting him and found a copy of Superman 64 on the ground outside and took it as a sign. we went on to play it together and bonded over it, as we were flying through the sky we chatted about our lives, as we went through the rings we chatted about our marriages. every year as we get close to when he died I remember those days and wish that I could play Superman 64 on my Switch to honor his memory.

P.S. i'm 87 and may not have much time left, please release it soon"

If we ever get Plok! Know that I’ve been asking for it since the Wii!

Some of the NES/SNES updates were getting to that level in 2021 before the expansion pack was introduced. Some really fun Youtube comments in those videos.

I’m going through some NSO stuff again and I just beat Kirby 64 for the first time. I’m reminded there’s a lot of stuff I really should try out from Nintendo’s catalog on it.

I may try mega man though.

Mario party have been great to play through as well recently.

Guess it’s time for someone to make the Sony equivalent to the Rare drop earlier this year XD. I can think of 2 n64 games off hand
did Sony get the rights to Rocket Robot on Wheels when they bought Sucker-Punch, or is that one of those weird "the rights are still with the publisher (in this case Ubisoft)" situations?

because I would be hyped as heck to get that on Switch

Some number thoughts:

Base additions are moving at a solid pace after the last few multi-game updates for GB. 11 GB, 2 NES and 2 SNES titles added so far this year for 15 games coming to the base tier in the first six months of 2024. This compares favourably to the full year totals for 2023 (24 games), 2022 (13), 2021 (12), 2020 (20). If Nintendo kept up the current pace, then 2024 would be the best year for the base tier since 2019, which had 46 additions. My guess is we shouldn't do any worse than last year and we're probably looking at somewhere between 9 and 15 more games coming to the base tier later this year.

Expansion Pack content however is another story. Without new DLC additions and without Mega Drive additions, we're on six titles added so far for this year; 3 on GBA and 3 on N64. That compares to annual totals of 30 (2021) and 28 (2022, 2023) titles in previous years, which also saw the additions of multiple DLCs. Even leaving aside the end of Mario Kart DLC waves, Nintendo are well behind the pace when it comes to classic game additions for the Expansion Pack. Perhaps there's a feeling the cumulative offering - 48 tracks for Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 DLC, Animal Crossing DLC, and ~90 classic games - is justified. However, as I said a few months ago, without the Mega Drive it's become impossible for Nintendo to maintain that pretty consistent 28-30 game pace for the Expansion Pack. And without further DLC offerings, there's a danger some of the work Nintendo have done to improve the Expansion Pack offering since launch now begins to fall somewhat flat.

As far as annual totals go, Nintendo have hit 40 to 50 additions to NSO most of the time (2019, 2021, 2022, 2023). If they keep up the current rate of base tier releases, then they'd achieve that amount again even without improving the pace of EP updates. Based on the current EP pace of 6 titles in 5 months, and 15 base titles in six months, they could hit 42 releases this year by maintaining the current pace. As I speculated a few months ago, the GB and base tier would do the bulk of the heavy lifting in the absence of further EP content beyond roughly monthly GBA/N64 updates.

My assumption for the rest of the year is that the base tier continues as is, with GB dominating the updates but odd NES and SNES titles popping up. The Expansion Pack is more interesting, though. NSO launched in 2018 and got the EP added in 2021. Much like the base tier of NSO after its first two years, the Expansion Pack now appears to be running out of steam a little. It will definitely get monthly updates, but my question really is whether Nintendo feel compelled to refresh the service by either adding another console app, further DLC, or doing something else.
I just don't understand how the EP is already running out of steam already. I mean hell, if N64 just needs Super Smash Bros and some other Rare licensed games, they can knock those out, I'd happily shut up and be content with whatever weird 3rd party obscure titles they throw out, and they can focus on getting more of GBA's library pumped up that desperately needs it.

I just don't know what the angle is doing a dripfeed for the console I vy for the most that is starting to look as anemic as Wii VC did in its latter years.

I just don't understand how the EP is already running out of steam already. I mean hell, if N64 just needs Super Smash Bros and some other Rare licensed games, they can knock those out, I'd happily shut up and be content with whatever weird 3rd party obscure titles they throw out, and they can focus on getting more of GBA's library pumped up that desperately needs it.

I just don't know what the angle is doing a dripfeed for the console I vy for the most that is starting to look as anemic as Wii VC did in its latter years.
Yeah. It’s the Nintendo way apparently. This service should have 3 drops a month minimum. I’m of the opinion it should just be massive library drops but I get Nintendo wanting to make “event” announcements. It shouldn’t be secretive though. Even if it’s just like Sony where we know the days games will be announced and then released. That’s not too ouch to ask

My copium is that Nintendo has a biggish blowout for the direct, but yea. At the very least Nintendo could be going harder on GBA updates.

Yeah. It’s the Nintendo way apparently. This service should have 3 drops a month minimum. I’m of the opinion it should just be massive library drops but I get Nintendo wanting to make “event” announcements. It shouldn’t be secretive though. Even if it’s just like Sony where we know the days games will be announced and then released. That’s not too ouch to ask
Right? For games that at their youngest are legally old enough to buy their own liquor, it shouldn't be so difficult to provide at least any kind of regularity, or at least updates explaining these large gaps. Could you imagine if Netflix only uploaded a handful of movies at a time based on decades, and went months at a time without acknowledging what's coming up?

Apples and oranges sure, but when EP costs as much as it does for what little value it provides on top of the base subscription, it is absolutely frustrating.

My copium is that Nintendo has a biggish blowout for the direct, but yea. At the very least Nintendo could be going harder on GBA updates.
Huffing that copium with you there. It took all my willpower to come around that Nintendo can't be that idiotic to start NSO from scratch with the new console, but come on I find it hard to believe that they can't find games from the most obscure license holders that won't mind a little extra royalty cheques if they're not doing anything with their IP. And if they can't, just rip off the band-aid and throw Super Smash Bros on the service already. It's like the one game I've been waiting for and it is always unreasonably delayed on Wii and now Switch, and didn't even come to Wii U.

It really does feel like pulling teeth with this company, I swear.

Much as I would even love to see the funtastic colourful N64 controllers come to the Nintendo store, there's no point buying any more just because the one party game that would benefit from it the most (SSB) is still nowhere to be seen.

Nintendo isn’t going to drop games faster. This is called Nintendo Switch Online. Their next system will be Nintendo Switch 2. They need to have enough games to carry them through this gen and next gen. It has to be slow and methodical going by their business decision.

Nintendo isn’t going to drop games faster. This is called Nintendo Switch Online. Their next system will be Nintendo Switch 2. They need to have enough games to carry them through this gen and next gen. It has to be slow and methodical going by their business decision.
Yeah my frustration is more that they've done nothing to make up for Mario Kart DLC ending and Mega Drive support appears to have come to an end. They want to stretch out the N64 and GBA support but they should make up for that with other ongoing content or benefits. Give Expansion Pack owners extra gold points, or higher discounts on first party sales, or access to DLC from older games.

Yeah my frustration is more that they've done nothing to make up for Mario Kart DLC ending and Mega Drive support appears to have come to an end. They want to stretch out the N64 and GBA support but they should make up for that with other ongoing content or benefits. Give Expansion Pack owners extra gold points, or higher discounts on first party sales, or access to DLC from older games.
Yep I agree. These areas have little to do with stretching over gens. They should be doing this already.

I’m going through some NSO stuff again and I just beat Kirby 64 for the first time. I’m reminded there’s a lot of stuff I really should try out from Nintendo’s catalog on it.

I may try mega man though.

Mario party have been great to play through as well recently.
Mega Man IV and especially V are the noteworthy GB ones, don't try them in order.

For NSO classic games I think it’s being largely handled by a small team working on stuff in batches. I think that’s why we had a drought at the start of the year / late last year. I suspect that maybe some of that was tied to getting things ready for the new hardware but it could just be they had to get a new batch of games ready which we’re now seeing.

I care far less about a roadmap than a regular content drop cadence. But also, as much as I enjoy seeing these games come out I don’t really dip into the NSO library as much as I would like to due to a factor of time and also a lot of this content is replays for me. That said I’m always happy when I do pop into it so it’s not like something I’m going to stop paying for right now. But it is sorta preventing me from paying for the EP.

Otherwise I’m totally with @MisterSpo here. There needs to be something more added at this point. I would absolutely pay for EP access if it meant not having to pay for icon components, bonus gold/platinum points, etc. But they also need to find another DLC they can add although I imagine we see Side Order before end of the year.

Nintendo has been very clear when they are ending support for something during the Switch era so I'm not counting Genesis NSO being finished until Nintendo posts that it is on their official channels.

I actually think it's a new icon. Different pose.
Yeah, all of this week’s icon elements are new. Most of them are of partners that already got icons before but different art is used this time. So this is the second Vivian icon.

Mario even has a unique animation if you move to the left or right after you let go of said crouch. Thats how I noticed it.

Its about the height of a running jump.
This is the second time in a month I’ve learnt something new about Super Mario Land. I recently learnt, via Radio Free Nintendo podcast, that there is a new game+ mode

I think “you get nothing, good day sir” is equally as likely as anything 😭
Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.1470069300.png

I mean the fact that they held off from adding anything to the NSO EP last month tells me something related to NSO has got to be happening this Direct.

I'm not sure when it went live, but the NSO app in the Switch has a redesigned home page which currently seems to load somewhat faster than the old (probably because there's less on it). Redeeming points for profile icons is still low as molasses so hopefully that's something they overhaul next.

Yea, that is very recent, like maybe within the past couple of days cause I know I was on the app sometime last week. Yea it is much nicer, just in time for some news from the direct right...right?

The most unsung NSO feature for me is the timeline of available games which match up with your birthday. If you click on the game, it opens straight to it. It’s very cool

Yea, that is very recent, like maybe within the past couple of days cause I know I was on the app sometime last week. Yea it is much nicer, just in time for some news from the direct right...right?
Looks like it may have gone live within the last 24 hours:

OatmealDome is reporting the internal version went from 2.7.1 to 3.0.0 which in semantic versioning means there was a breaking change. Which suggests there might be more changes imminent to be revealed.

Back
Top Bottom