• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New Summer 2024 Poll!

Starting June 19th, which library will add the most games to the service by the end of 2024?

• NES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SNES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N64

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • GB/GBC

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • GBA

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Sega Genesis

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
3rd Mega Man sighting, this time apparently in the Australian eshop

that's pretty hype, it's possibly one of biggest third party NSO drop of recent years.

I'm hoping this is the beginning of third party's arriving on NSO, heck maybe we'll get a NSO roadmap, which includes third party and first party titles, like RE2 N64 is seeming to slowly become into a reality.

I'm hoping this is the beginning of third party's arriving on NSO, heck maybe we'll get a NSO roadmap, which includes third party and first party titles, like RE2 N64 is seeming to slowly become into a reality.
I dream of a day when we can reliably say "NSO gets new games every first and third Thursday" or something.

Doesn’t surprise me that someone at Nintendo slipped up with these Mega Man games—they make some odd mistakes from time to time, after all…

Ftesrg-aQAAP4TV

(This was never fixed the entire time it was up on the NSO applet, by the way, lol.)

I dream of a day when we can reliably say "NSO gets new games every first and third Thursday" or something.
I dream of a day when Nintendo and third party realise that releasing old games, which cost them a half eaten hot dog is actually a smart business venture.

Like i wouldn't mind if the direct announces a road map that includes studios like Sega, Capcom and maybe konami. Like there are a bunch of old games that people haven't tried or checked out, mostly because their old and NSO is possibly one of the better option to introduce players to these games.

I’d like to think if they would do a big Mega Man 5-Game Drop, then it’s not too insane to want a huge DK Game Drop at some point (DK Land Trilogy, DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing)

Well this was a surprise to come to. I heard about MMV at least being considered for GB NSO since Protodude tweeted back when GB NSO hit and had Gargoyle's Quest at launch, that the reason he won't comment much on MMVDX (the GBC rom hack) was to not get in the way of official reissues... pretty much implying that GB NSO would get that game at some point, and well, here's all the rockman worlds lol
Rockman Taisen is hopefully real then after a bajillion years lol. MM III-V are outstanding, II is OK but very easy and I is the hardest classic mega man game in history next to Bass, IMO. Good assortment of stuff, but I am bummed this means they aren't gonna get the legacy collection treatment anytime soon even though they deserve to.

...We're gonna totally get GBA Mega Man and Bass again though, aren't we. That's my fear, since it's the only NSO-Viable version (SFC is JP only)
I cannot confirm information about Mega Man titles being added to NSO.

But I can confirm that updates have been made to the GBO servers in past few weeks.

So it might be related to rumors of Mega Man GB titles coming to NSO.

Oh, uh, huh you're the real deal, didn't know you had interest in joining famiboards. Welcome. If it's not much of a bother to ask, is it true that Sega is backing away from the Genesis App due to low play count/interest, or do they still have plans for it? (and maybe M2's just busy or something) Seems like when we're in month 11 since the last update, it's pretty much done for... And I can't help but still be mad at that awful compilation on the eShop as a reason why people keep ignoring the excellent NSO app.

I dream of a day when Nintendo and third party realise that releasing old games, which cost them a half eaten hot dog is actually a smart business venture.

Like i wouldn't mind if the direct announces a road map that includes studios like Sega, Capcom and maybe konami. Like there are a bunch of old games that people haven't tried or checked out, mostly because their old and NSO is possibly one of the better option to introduce players to these games.

I mean, VC bombed. Nobody bought anything besides the most common, done to death games. Usually the only way you get an oddball to be viable in that way is to bundle it in a compilation with something else. Most companies would rather do their own compilations than ever touch a VC model ever again and I argue even some companies picky with NSO are in that mindset, rightfully so. Wii U/3DS VC were very, VERY bad for third parties.

I mean, VC bombed. Nobody bought anything besides the most common, done to death games. Usually the only way you get an oddball to be viable in that way is to bundle it in a compilation with something else. Most companies would rather do their own compilations than ever touch a VC model ever again and I argue even some companies picky with NSO are in that mindset, rightfully so. Wii U/3DS VC were very, VERY bad for third parties.
I'm curios if NSO might change some third partys mind of releasing their older title there, since it's a subscription based service.

Oh it’s also possible we get the base tier drop today and the expansion pack drop is tied to the direct for new road maps

Now that I’m thinking about it - has there been any classic games removed from NSO? WIth Game Pass and PS Premium, games often rotate out or have an allotted time - I could be missing something, but has everything on NSO been permanent so far? Like, even the odd third party grabs like Claymates are still there.

(I know Nintendo would have no good reason to rotate or remove their own games, developed or published, of course. Just a random thought I had.)

It feels like something we might get tonight or maybe tomorrow if there is some kind of Mega Man game at Summe Game Fest. Would be kinda crazy if there was since it's been so long.

I assume we get the Xtreme games in another drop at some point as well. I could also see the GBA ports Capcom made as they are pretty much inferior versions and wouldn’t limit the collections or arcade stadium roms from selling. More curiosities than anything else.

Now that I’m thinking about it - has there been any classic games removed from NSO? WIth Game Pass and PS Premium, games often rotate out or have an allotted time - I could be missing something, but has everything on NSO been permanent so far? Like, even the odd third party grabs like Claymates are still there.

(I know Nintendo would have no good reason to rotate or remove their own games, developed or published, of course. Just a random thought I had.)
Nope, not even once, since those title are smaller scale and it would be a annoying removing them, since they don't have any inherent value, meanwhile games, like Octopath and Persona will get remove on gamepass, since people actually care about those.

Not one game has been pulled as far as I know. I suspect the first game to go would be GB Tetris.

not so far, which I assume is part of why they're slower to add things and haven't been able to get as many notable 3rd parties on-board so far

Based on things like Gamepass and PS+, Square (as an example) would probably be open to a year-long deal for some of their games, but Nintendo seems to want longer-term (in perpetuity?) deals and those would obviously be way more expensive or just a non-starter for anything above "random Data East game nobody's heard of"

I don’t think Nintendo has ever indicated in any of their legal fine print that games could rotate out, meaning I think they've done the required deals to get games for NSO on an “in perpetuity“ basis.

Nintendo just makes offers that publishers can't refuse.

I don’t think Nintendo has ever indicated in any of their legal fine print that games could rotate out, meaning I think they've done the required deals to get games for NSO on an “in perpetuity“ basis.
Am I Mandela Effecting, or wasn't there something during the pre-NSO build-up where wording on the Nintendo website implied games would rotate in and out monthly and then after a backlash they quietly changed it to just talking about an expanding library instead?

I’m pretty sure I’ve spent more on NSO over the course of its existence than I did the various VCs if you ignore the FOMO purchases at the very end of them.

Nintendo is absolutely making bank on NSO at this point.

I for one will start a class action lawsuit if we lose Nightshade, Fighters History, or Burger Time Deluxe!

I don't think they did for VC either yet some stuff left. I don't expect much to be abruptly leaving NSO, but Goldeneye will absolutely be the first to go IMO

I don't think they did for VC either yet some stuff left. I don't expect much to be abruptly leaving NSO, but Goldeneye will absolutely be the first to go IMO
IMO it’d be different for à la carte purchases. If it’s a service you’re paying for, content leaving would need to be noted. But I’m not a lawyer.

So it used to be an even split, but after tonight's update Game Boy holds a 17-12 lead over Game Boy Color games on the US NSO service.

After a month, you can no longer PLAY the monthly Switch online classic unless you buy it.
Huh, so they were going to actually provide an option to buy games originally? Somehow I either missed this or don’t remember it at all!

Honestly, I wish they did go with their original plan in that case… It would be the best of both worlds; you’d get to play every new game added free for a month, and you could choose to buy any individual games that you want to actually own outside of your NSO subscription! How did people not like that?? I don’t understand…

Huh, so they were going to actually provide an option to buy games originally? Somehow I either missed this or don’t remember it at all!

Honestly, I wish they did go with their original plan in that case… It would be the best of both worlds; you’d get to play every new game added free for a month, and you could choose to buy any individual games that you want to actually own outside of your NSO subscription! How did people not like that?? I don’t understand…
No it would be have been absolutely terrible. No one could ever enjoy facing constant monthly doses of FOMO and having to pay extra to keep playing a game that you just happened to start playing on day 29. You'd quickly realize that you'd be better off not playing any of the games or paying for the subscription at all. It would be a terrible business for Nintendo and a terrible value for consumers

Sorry Little Timmy, I know you just got this Switch for Christmas but you have to pay extra to play Super Mario Bros after it left the subscription tier in October 2018. It's a good month though, you've got Alleyway, Baseball (GB), and Iggy's Wreckin' Balls to play. But don't get too attached because they'll go away forever in a week.

Last edited:

I think that bit about buying them was conjecture on Polygon's part

because its not the best of both worlds. The best would be how it is today with the option to buy the individually. in the other way, I would be able to play every game for a bit, then have to be forced to buy them on top of the subscription that I am already paying for. It would give me the feeling of having to force my way through the game within that month, and I hate just thinking about it. I love the sub service because it allows me access to my favorites and play games that I would normally never buy, like wrecking crew '98, Vice, Alleyway, winback, etc, and probably wouldn't buy if they ever left. Hell a lot of highscore games that you might see on old school systems just feel right at home with the sub service.

...We're gonna totally get GBA Mega Man and Bass again though, aren't we. That's my fear, since it's the only NSO-Viable version (SFC is JP only)
I say this: after all these years, and stuff like NGPC's Rockman Power Battle Fighhters getting released as is? It wouldn't surprise me if they just finally gave us Rockman and Forte SFC, raw and untranslated.

At least stuff like Wrecking Crew 98 and various other "as is" releases would be in good company!

No it would be have been absolutely terrible. No one could ever enjoy facing constant monthly doses of FOMO and having to pay extra to keep playing a game that you just happened to start playing on day 29. You'd quickly realize that you'd be better off not playing any of the games or paying for the subscription at all. It would be a terrible business for Nintendo and a terrible value for consumers

Sorry Little Timmy, I know you just got this Switch for Christmas but you have to pay extra to play Super Mario Bros after it left the subscription tier in October 2018. It's a good month though, you've got Alleyway, Baseball (GB), and Iggy's Wreckin' Balls to play. But don't get too attached because they'll go away forever in a week.
That’s the wrong way to look at it, in my opinion; it would be exactly like NSO Game Trials are now, but with classic games. Everyone would get to try out new classic games for free each month to see how they like them, and then they could buy any games they actually want to own. You’d always be able to buy any released games, the trials are just a bonus. The subscription is primarily for the online play, anyway, not the classic games, so it’s more of a bonus if anything. The pricing could have been totally different (and even lower) if this had happened, too.

I think that bit about buying them was conjecture on Polygon's part
Well if that’s the case then I take it back, it definitely wouldn’t be good at all, lol. Seems unclear though.

because its not the best of both worlds. The best would be how it is today with the option to buy the individually. in the other way, I would be able to play every game for a bit, then have to be forced to buy them on top of the subscription that I am already paying for. It would give me the feeling of having to force my way through the game within that month, and I hate just thinking about it. I love the sub service because it allows me access to my favorites and play games that I would normally never buy, like wrecking crew '98, Vice, Alleyway, winback, etc, and probably wouldn't buy if they ever left. Hell a lot of highscore games that you might see on old school systems just feel right at home with the sub service.
I mean, yes, that would be better for sure, but I doubt many people would bother buying games separately if you could just always have access to all of them via the subscription, so I doubt Nintendo would even bother…which is exactly the case right now. It just sucks not being able to own these games. That said, I do appreciate that I’m able to play games that I wouldn’t normally have ever bought myself…but, personally, I totally wouldn’t mind if they just did the NSO Game Trial approach that they originally planned for it. Guess others don’t see it the same way, though.

Nintendo is definitely gearing up now because those are pretty important positions.
Added today:
  • Front-end Engineer (for NSO app on Switch)
  • Back-end Engineer (for NSO app on Switch)
  • Director/Planner (for all of NSO)
Added in May:
  • Marketing Manager (for all of NSO)
Added earlier:
  • Project Manager (for all of NSO)
For the engineers they're clearly just speaking about the NSO app on Switch. The rest it's definitely speaking about all of the NSO so it looks like something is going on, not unexpected considering they're gearing up for next gen.

I know it's 5 games from the same series, but it's nice to see more third party stuff and it means the GB library's really bumped up in the first half of this year with 11 games being added internationally. Hopefully there'll be a similar number of releases in the second half of the year...

It is kinda interesting to me just how much a VC lineup baloons once Megaman gets added to the mix.

Like yeah, the number of games between NES NSO and NES VC is pretty wide, but if you take Megaman out of the equation the gap narrows quite a bit. (Castlevania too, but less so)

Some number thoughts:

Base additions are moving at a solid pace after the last few multi-game updates for GB. 11 GB, 2 NES and 2 SNES titles added so far this year for 15 games coming to the base tier in the first six months of 2024. This compares favourably to the full year totals for 2023 (24 games), 2022 (13), 2021 (12), 2020 (20). If Nintendo kept up the current pace, then 2024 would be the best year for the base tier since 2019, which had 46 additions. My guess is we shouldn't do any worse than last year and we're probably looking at somewhere between 9 and 15 more games coming to the base tier later this year.

Expansion Pack content however is another story. Without new DLC additions and without Mega Drive additions, we're on six titles added so far for this year; 3 on GBA and 3 on N64. That compares to annual totals of 30 (2021) and 28 (2022, 2023) titles in previous years, which also saw the additions of multiple DLCs. Even leaving aside the end of Mario Kart DLC waves, Nintendo are well behind the pace when it comes to classic game additions for the Expansion Pack. Perhaps there's a feeling the cumulative offering - 48 tracks for Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 DLC, Animal Crossing DLC, and ~90 classic games - is justified. However, as I said a few months ago, without the Mega Drive it's become impossible for Nintendo to maintain that pretty consistent 28-30 game pace for the Expansion Pack. And without further DLC offerings, there's a danger some of the work Nintendo have done to improve the Expansion Pack offering since launch now begins to fall somewhat flat.

As far as annual totals go, Nintendo have hit 40 to 50 additions to NSO most of the time (2019, 2021, 2022, 2023). If they keep up the current rate of base tier releases, then they'd achieve that amount again even without improving the pace of EP updates. Based on the current EP pace of 6 titles in 5 months, and 15 base titles in six months, they could hit 42 releases this year by maintaining the current pace. As I speculated a few months ago, the GB and base tier would do the bulk of the heavy lifting in the absence of further EP content beyond roughly monthly GBA/N64 updates.

My assumption for the rest of the year is that the base tier continues as is, with GB dominating the updates but odd NES and SNES titles popping up. The Expansion Pack is more interesting, though. NSO launched in 2018 and got the EP added in 2021. Much like the base tier of NSO after its first two years, the Expansion Pack now appears to be running out of steam a little. It will definitely get monthly updates, but my question really is whether Nintendo feel compelled to refresh the service by either adding another console app, further DLC, or doing something else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom