• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st December) Switch at 103.54m shipped

Well, so much for all that noise about $60 being too much for a 2D Metroid; it's only 80k off being the highest selling game in the series, in less than 3 months.

4m lifetime isn't off the table, really goes to show the built up demand for a new entry, plus the Switch boost. And the fact it's a freaking fantastic game.
Most of that were Sony fanboys being mad that people were saying "$70 is too much for Ratchet and Returnal".

As someone who paid $80 AUD for it, I got more out of Metroid Dread than I did out of plenty of 3D AAA games that were the same price.
Some of the best games I've ever played are 2D.

It's always seemed silly to me, the notion that a game's quality scales linearly with its budget. I've played AAA games that were about as fun as watching paint dry, and I've played games made on a shoestring budget that were an absolute blast.

Seems the players have spoken with regards to Dread. Since these numbers are as of December 31st, it's probably already the highest selling Metroid ever as I type this.

Same here. I never understand the madness regarding Dread. Game is totally worth the price.

Recently I have been playing many Gold Box RPG games from early 90s. Maybe it's nostalgia or something else but these recent triple AAA titles feels to me like bleh and I'm having more fun playing old school slow turn based rpg like Champions of Krynn and Savage Frontier.

Maybe Elden Ring is exception but I don't think I'm going to buy that day 1.

How did PS2 get that second wind in the 20-23 quarters?
There were a lot of emerging markets at that time, such as Latin America, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East. I think it also got a massive price cut around that time. PS3 also struggled in the first couple years of its life due to high cost and development problems, so PS2 was especially popular as a budget choice at that time too. I remember there were some months in 2007/2008 NPD where the PS2 outsold the PS3. Pretty wild. Don't think we'll ever see a tail like on a console again.

Just another late thing I was thinking about. Switch has passed Wii worldwide, but it's a bit of a different regional split. WAY better in Japan.
NSW_JP

Slightly better in "Europe+Other", about 10% ahead.
NSW_O

America is the one region it's really behind, but will probably catch up in the next year. Also I thought it interesting to see that it took about 3 years for Switch to pull away from SNES and N64 here.
N64_NA

Just another late thing I was thinking about. Switch has passed Wii worldwide, but it's a bit of a different regional split. WAY better in Japan.
NSW_JP

Slightly better in "Europe+Other", about 10% ahead.
NSW_O

America is the one region it's really behind, but will probably catch up in the next year. Also I thought it interesting to see that it took about 3 years for Switch to pull away from SNES and N64 here.
N64_NA
Maybe I’m reading the graph wrong, but it looks like Switch is much closer to Wii in NA than it is in Europe?

Maybe I’m reading the graph wrong, but it looks like Switch is much closer to Wii in NA than it is in Europe?
They started tracking "other" though so in Europe + other Switch is higher than Wii in Europe.

Not the most apples to apples comparison I guess.

Back in the day I just used the number they called "Other" and used the "_EU" ending for simplicity since that was the biggest included market. Then just recently they started reporting a Europe number and an Other number separately, which is why the Switch EU number appears to drop at one point.

After the struggles of the Wii U, I was one of those folks who was pessimistic about the Switch's prospects, so it is immensely gratifying to see it find it success it so deserves.
I never imagined back in 2016/2017 that outselling the Wii was even a remote possibility, yet here we are. Sometimes, it feels good to be wrong. :)

im really happy for the switch and cant believe it may knock on the door of the ps2 with price cuts. i think the best part of the whole thing is the great eShop nintendo has built up. Ive played so many games on the switch that I normally wouldve done on PC, but I really didnt feel like tinkering with. The portability is also really unbeatable. It's a perfect system imo

Back
Top Bottom