• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Nintendo: no component shortage expected for Switch successor

I want to believe, but I'm not all that hopeful.

Be great if they did do something for MyNintendo account holders or NSO subscribers, but I think I'm just gonna have to hope and pray with my usual tracking methods. As long as it's not a calendar Q4 release date, I would like to think I stand a decent chance even against scalpers and bots

Be great if they did do something for MyNintendo account holders or NSO subscribers, but I think I'm just gonna have to hope and pray with my usual tracking methods. As long as it's not a calendar Q4 release date, I would like to think I stand a decent chance even against scalpers and bots
Honestly, I think it releasing at least six months before the holiday season (or at the very latest, by June) will be their biggest defense against their initial stock being scalped

In europe they reserved a “early launch” with a limited edition of new 3DS to selected Nintendo Club members, so they did it in the past 🤞🏻

In europe they reserved a “early launch” with a limited edition of new 3DS to selected Nintendo Club members, so they did it in the past 🤞🏻
I have that New 3DS and I'm always careful with my stuff but it started peeling itself and the circle pad crumbled off 😔

I hope they’re reasonable to get and I don’t have to sit by a computer for like 12 hours waiting for a tweet, you know? That sounds stressful.

I’m nostalgic for the halcyon days of the Switch 1 when I watched the big reveal event and just casually strolled over to Best Buy’s website and preordered one, no trouble at all. I can only hope this time will be at least somewhat similar.
Same and Best Buy sent me 3 by accident… HAHAHAHA!!!

(Or was it Amazon???) 🤷🏽‍♂️

I expect the Switch 2 to be priced at $399. If there's an alt model with more internal memory or something, then that would be priced at $449.

But if it's only one model, I don't think Nintendo will cross that $400 threshold.

Has Nintendo ever chosen an older node over a newer one before? I don't think they have, but I could be mistaken. They're all about power efficiency, and you usually get that by moving to a newer node.

There's a few ifs and buts, but the smart money is on a smaller node.

It was more poorly worded sarcasm, as some doomposting would have you believe otherwise. I'm sure Nintendo and Nvidia are aware of the amazing benefits a 4nm/TSMC 5nm node would provide (and why it's absolutely worth it).

Last edited:
I feel we're gonna see a repeat of the OG Switch situation. Relatively easy to get a preorder in at launch, but the first holiday season will be a bloodbath.

They probably already have enough data to be able to get a pretty good estimate of how much of the userbase are day one buyers, and how much is families or people that might hold off until the holiday.

would 10 milions consoles be enought to fight the scalpers and meet the demand?

If I searched my info correctly;

First month of the Switch was 2.74M

The PS5 reported 4.5M from launch (Nov. 19) until the end of 2020.

--

So 10M should be a good buffer for like 2 quarters of sales for Nintendo

If I searched my info correctly;

First month of the Switch was 2.74M

The PS5 reported 4.5M from launch (Nov. 19) until the end of 2020.

--

So 10M should be a good buffer for like 2 quarters of sales for Nintendo
That is with shortages
10m for 1 quarter would be sufficient but it's a tall order but as I noted they shipped a quarter of that for 1 month for Switch's launch , I think > 6 to 7 million launch quarter supply is necessary to have sufficient supply to mitigate shortages.

That is with shortages
10m for 1 quarter would be sufficient but it's a tall order but as I noted they shipped a quarter of that for 1 month for Switch's launch , I think > 6 to 7 million launch quarter supply is necessary to have sufficient supply to mitigate shortages.

True.
6 to 7M launch quarter supply is quite a lot, but if the demand is there, supply just needs to cover it :p. Still, that's a lot.

I expect sales of around 28m for its first year... If they can provide. The lowest I would assume is 24m.

I know, rather high. I'm confident.

Hmm the PS5 had 20.8M for FY2023, which was the first year where they didn't have significant stock issues.
If the stock is there, it would probably be the fastest selling console right?

True.

Hmm the PS5 had 20.8M for FY2023, which was the first year where they didn't have significant stock issues.
Switch had a year with 28.83 if I'm not wrong.

I'm not sure if switch 2 will top that, I expect it to be more front loaded (less reservation like with the switch after Wii u) and don't expect switch2 to reach the lifetime sales of the first one.

I believe I bought the original Switch about a month or so after launch in 2017, wasn't very hard to find but also wasn't very easy either due to strong demand initially, but if you were out looking for one, you'd be able to find one.

True.

Iirc Switch had a 28 million unit year in 2021. Those numbers I doubt will be replicated by the Switch 2

Back
Top Bottom