• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo merging France, Iberica, and Benelux divisons into Nintendo of Europe (France and Benelux merged)

Ummm, not very confident about it, but I hope it just doesn't reflect on changes in current workforce, distribution and/or localization of titles, etc.

Nintendo España Ibérica was born in August 1993, and it has had an amazing history :(

388222-125-anos-nintendo-21-nintendo-espana.png

I'm just gonna say: restructuring like this happening now? Nintendo's getting some housecleaning out of the way prior to something happening.
Ummm, not very confident about it, but I hope it just doesn't reflect on changes in current workforce, distribution and/or localization of titles, etc.

Nintendo España Ibérica was born in August 1993, and it has had an amazing history :(

Nintendo doesn't seem to think so:
The business of these three merged companies will continue at each of the newly established branches.
If anyone is leaving, it's middle and upper management, but even that's not a guarantee. These branches were technically already structured to report to NoE in Germany, so it's just about operational red tape getting moved out of the way, from what I can see.

EDIT: Since the new NoE is an SE, it could be as simple as unified payroll reporting and easier staff movement among EU member nations. Also, prior to becoming an SE, NoE in Germany is transitioning from a GmbH to an AG (basically, going from private to public). So yeah, this feels very much like a red tape slashing maneuver.

Last edited:
Without knowing any details, my first reaction is that this doesn't sound good at all.

Nintendo of Europe SE, huh

A societas Europaea (Classical Latin: [sɔˈkɪ.ɛtaːs eu̯roːˈpae̯.a], Ecclesiastical Latin: [soˈtʃi.etas eu̯roˈpe.a]; "European society" or "company"; plural: societates Europaeae; abbr. SE) is a public company registered in accordance with the corporate law of the European Union (EU), introduced in 2004 with the Council Regulation on the Statute for a European Company.[2] Such a company may more easily transfer to or merge with companies in other member states.

I'm joking!

Let‘s hope that it will not lead to lay offs but in general this is a good thing. Nintendo‘s presence in europe is very inconsistent and less internal middle management is always better in stuff like this. Especially with digitalization getting more important for Nintendo. Though Scandinavian presence is not included in this right?

taking a close look at it
strange (don't know if it's for better or worst) why Nintendo of Italy wasn't involved (was it already part of Nintendo Europe HQ somehow?)

taking a close look at it
strange (don't know if it's for better or worst) why Nintendo of Italy wasn't involved (was it already part of Nintendo Europe HQ somehow?)
It's possible that Nintendo of Italy is just a separate branch within NoE like Nintendo Switzerland for example.

Nintendo of Europe SE, huh

I'm joking!
You're maybe actually onto something, but you have it in reverse. Nintendo may have structured themselves this way so that, instead of them merging with an outside company, an outside company can be more easily merged/consolidated with Nintendo's European operations, even if they lack a regional office in that EU nation.
Let‘s hope that it will not lead to lay offs but in general this is a good thing. Nintendo‘s presence in europe is very inconsistent and less internal middle management is always better in stuff like this. Though Scandinavian presence is not included in this right?
Benelux manages Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg and Iberica manages Spain and Portugal, if I remember right. Nintendo products are still distributed in Scandinavia by Bergsala (and have never had a company-owned presence there), but with Bergsala being part of Thunderful Group now, who knows if that will stay the same in the long term.

No idea if this could have any impact on the products of the European Nintendo store, but I hope with this merger Europe gets better merch. Compared to Japan or USA we have almost nothing special in there.

You're maybe actually onto something, but you have it in reverse. Nintendo may have structured themselves this way so that, instead of them merging with an outside company, an outside company can be more easily merged/consolidated with Nintendo's European operations, even if they lack a regional office in that EU nation.

Benelux manages Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg and Iberica manages Spain and Portugal, if I remember right. Nintendo products are still distributed in Scandinavia by Bergsala (and have never had a company-owned presence there), but with Bergsala being part of Thunderful Group now, who knows if that will stay the same in the long term.
Oh yeah, it's definitely possible. I did "predict" they'd acquire a company before the end of the year (though I am running out of time here). I did think that they'd sooner expand in the US but I guess mainland Europe might be more stable.

I'm just gonna say: restructuring like this happening now? Nintendo's getting some housecleaning out of the way prior to something happening.

My thoughts as well. The timing for this is sus.

I can only echo the sentiments that I hope this is just a case of streamlining processes and reducing overhead rather than eventually closing down offices or laying off employees.

Yeah but now they're covered in shit. I've been journalist there and Iberica is corrupted from the inside.

I can chime in here. We asked our questions to Nintendo and it seems no closures or lay offs are planned :)

Quote translated through deepl:

"The local offices largely retain their functions, including sales and marketing, with the exception of some internal business support functions handled by Nintendo of Europe. The restructuring does not include any layoffs or office closures."

I can chime in here. We asked our questions to Nintendo and it seems no closures or lay offs are planned :)

Quote translated through deepl:

"The local offices largely retain their functions, including sales and marketing, with the exception of some internal business support functions handled by Nintendo of Europe. The restructuring does not include any layoffs or office closures."

That's great to hear. Thanks for updating us!

It's worth noting that the merger won't complete for almost 2 years:

Nintendo will conduct an absorption-type merger in which our subsidiary NOE shall be the surviving company, and Nintendo France S.A.R.L (hereinafter “NFR”), Nintendo Benelux B.V. (hereinafter “NBX”) and Nintendo Ibérica, S.A. (hereinafter “NIB”), which are also our subsidiaries, will be the disappearing companies. The merger of NFR and NBX is scheduled for July 2023, and the merger of NIB is scheduled for August 2024. The business of these three merged companies will continue at each of the newly established branches.
In addition, Nintendo plans to change NOE’s trade name to Nintendo of Europe AG in January 2024 and Nintendo of Europe SE in August 2024.

It's worth noting that the merger won't complete for almost 2 years:
'' Nintendo plans to change NOE’s trade name to Nintendo of Europe AG in January 2024 and Nintendo of Europe SE'' What does these letters mean lmao

does this mean nintendo finally bought square enix and sent it to europe?

When they switch from an AG to an SE, doesn't it mean NoE won't be a German company anymore? So I assume the HQ will stay in Germany, but legally speaking the company would move to another country, right?

When they switch from an AG to an SE, doesn't it mean NoE won't be a German company anymore? So I assume the HQ will stay in Germany, but legally speaking the company would move to another country, right?
No, it just means that it will be in accordance with EU-law. They can move their HQ easier afterwards though.

Centralisation of their European division is a good thing; should mean faster decision making, greater barganing power and improved budgeting for all of NOE.

Also is a sign that Nintendo will be growing their European presence further in general (including, hopefully, acquisitions of the likes of Mercury Steam).

Technically yes, but actually no. As Dardan mentioned, it stops being a German-incorporated company and becomes a European Union-incorporated company, with all the benefits that entails, even if they stay in Germany.

Can you elaborate on this? It’s an interesting topic…

Well it handles customer service horribly and if Nintendo is very conservative as a company, Nintendo Iberica is even worse.

For example, it's a minor complaint by my part but spanish content creators HATE Nintendo in general due to Nintendo Iberica, they try to take down streams or videos of Nintendo games from content creators that in the past played games like Zelda randomizers or customized Pokemon roms.

Well it handles customer service horribly and if Nintendo is very conservative as a company, Nintendo Iberica is even worse.

For example, it's a minor complaint by my part but spanish content creators HATE Nintendo in general due to Nintendo Iberica, they try to take down streams or videos of Nintendo games from content creators that in the past played games like Zelda randomizers or customized Pokemon roms.
I only needed Nintendo customer service once with the Wii U and it was nice and quick… I suppose it depends on the person that will assist you or other causes…

About streamers, they’re in fact quite permissive with influencers and streamers (for example some famous YouTubers/streamers make blatant piracy apology before TOTK launch and some even played BOTW on emulator AND modded, and apparently nothing happened).

I thought your comment has something to do with some mismanagement/corruption/nepotism or not following NCL policies in Spain… but your examples seemed to me like nothing worrying or exceptional (Nintendo fights its IP).

Back
Top Bottom