• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo is suing the creators of popular Switch emulator Yuzu. They claim TOTK was pirated over 1 million times before release

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they really were disappointed by TotK sales :s

Seriously stop Nintendo, those people don't have the money you are asking for, you arr just destroying their lives.

I feel somewhat conflicted about this.

On one hand Nintendo is absolutely doing low blows. They could have done the right things which are tightening control on retail channels and cracking down on ROM distributors. Instead they did the easy thing which is coming after emulators.

On the other hand, when I skim through Yuzu's Twitter, there are many cases where they actively advertised day-1 support for first party titles. They could have kept a low profile by focusing only on technical improvements (e.g. shader cache, resolution scaling, etc.) but alas ...

Nintendo is also saying that hacking your system and ripping your own games is illegal though. They are trying whatever they can to take down emulation, and it's not because of harm (well okay, it kinda is). It's about them thinking they'd make more money if emulation didn't exist. In the end it's all corporate stuff, though I can't deny that piracy is still wrong in many ways.
Emulators will in the end be the death of Nintendo as a hardware maker, in the future millions upon millions will have PCs capable of emulating Switch 2, this thing will only get bigger and bigger with time. Console gaming is dying already today, if emulation takes more market share from these companies then that market is dead.

So 1 million downloads already today, i understand why Nintendo is shitting themselves. Imagine in 5 years the next Zelda game could get downloaded 5 million times before release due to the growth of PC gaming will naturally also lead to a growth in emulation.

I would argue that emulation is a bigger threat to Nintendo in the future than Sony, Microsoft and other hardware makers are combined.
I don't think the emulation itself has ever been much of the problem, but just how visible it is. We've seen Nintendo tolerate stuff like emulation for the longest time. But as time goes on and it continues to be more streamlined, and more visible on places like youtube and twitch, it's no longer the place of hobbyists, it's being advertised.

Barely a single youtuber I know is playing on original hardware outside maybe a handful.

It's one thing to know it's there, it's another to see it regularly being done with little to no consequence.

I don't have strong feelings about Switch emulation, people are going do what they're gonna do and it's none of my business. Taking patreon cash and boasting about Day 1 playability always did rub me the wrong way about these guys. I can't say I feel too bad because ultimately they put a ton of attention to themselves this way. You can only poke the bear for so long before it wakes up. People should know by now that making money off Nintendo's IPs is always gonna make you a target for their legal team.

And you can yell and scream at me all day about not equating emulation with piracy and yet...we all know what most people are using emulators for lol

Nintendo is also saying that hacking your system and ripping your own games is illegal though. They are trying whatever they can to take down emulation, and it's not because of harm (well okay, it kinda is). It's about them thinking they'd make more money if emulation didn't exist. In the end it's all corporate stuff, though I can't deny that piracy is still wrong in many ways.

hmm... I work with a networking company. Doing that in the USA (and many of other places) is illegal as far as I know. Breaking the DRM is illegal, modifying your system renders it not covered under warranty anymore and possibly liable if you use it to commit a crime or cause damages to the manufacturer...

Two things:

Yuzu and ryujinx were ALWAYS running across the red line when it comes to legality. The moment I noticed that shaders were something both dev teams always made it clear to not share on their discord servers and other communities because it contained "copyrighted nintendo software", but games never ran properly without them and you were constantly building and storing these (shader) files on your computer (shader caching), that's when I thought "huh, this could be a legal issue".

Not only that but like, the fact that you can run games that aren't proper dumps but just compressed versions (.nsp files i think) with the same prod.key file for any game instead of a decription key AND certificate for every different game (that iirc you get as different files when dumping a cartridge) was also always suspicious to me.

I know it's the unpopular take but...

I want Nintendo to win, just to spite people who pirate.
Pirates feel entitled and untouchable, they feel they are entitled to permanent free games as well to make fun of all people who legally buy games. But if more people pirated games all the companies would be dead and no one would get any of these games in the future, so they are killing the industry which is already dying today.

Pirates feel entitled and untouchable, they feel they are entitled to permanent free games as well to make fun of all people who legally buy games. But if more people pirated games all the companies would be dead and no one would get any of these games in the future, so they are killing the industry which is already dying today.
No, what's killing the industry is billion dollar corporations laying off thousands of people who actually make the games

I don't think the emulation itself has ever been much of the problem, but just how visible it is. We've seen Nintendo tolerate stuff like emulation for the longest time. But as time goes on and it continues to be more streamlined, and more visible on places like youtube and twitch, it's no longer the place of hobbyists, it's being advertised.

Barely a single youtuber I know is playing on original hardware outside maybe a handful.

It's one thing to know it's there, it's another to see it regularly being done with little to no consequence.
Exactly, search youtube and you can find thousands of videos showing Switch games being played with 10 times better quality. So you can get Nintendo games early, for free and with much better performance. Impossible for videos like that not to make an impact, and a growing impact as well i would say. Already the argument that Nintendo games deserve to be pirated because they are ''unplayable'' on the Switch is incredible widespread, that sort of stuff will only grow stronger every year if Nintendo does not take a stand, sure they may lose but better to try to stop the coming floadgates than to sit and do nothing.

No, what's killing the industry is billion dollar corporations laying off thousands of people who actually make the games
Both are bad and both are harming the industry. We're talking about Nintendo, which has a 90 something approval rate among people who work there, stating that their sales for their games are being hurt by piracy.

Think logical; Profit margins today in the gaming industry is not sustainable, imagine how sustainable this industry is if millions of games with a budget of hundreds of millions just get downloaded for free. Sure the gaming industry could adapt to that by never making any sort of AAA games in the future and just release low budget games.

1/20 players of Tears of the Kingdom played the game for free on their PC, and that number is only going to grow. The next Zelda game could have 5 million who download the game for free, a much bigger chunk of the overall player base.

I don't like the "we're untouchable" attitude pirates have. They can be really obnoxious. (As an NSO enjoyer, I've gotten some of the worst shittalk from people flaunting their emulators.)

But emulation is really important for preservation. And the current advancements in it have only done good for gaming history. (Granted, Switch emulation isn't preserving much when most of these games are still available.)

That's why this case really raises my anxiousness.

Both are bad and both are harming the industry. We're talking about Nintendo, which has a 90 something approval rate among people who work there, stating that their sales for their games are being hurt by piracy.
Nintendo is one of the most profitable publishers in the business right now, if not the most profitable. So I'm not losing sleep over Zelda being pirated. Almost any anti-piracy crackdown will have big effects on the rest of the industry, and not in good ways.

Nintendo is one of the most profitable publishers in the business right now, if not the most profitable. So I'm not losing sleep over Zelda being pirated. Almost any anti-piracy crackdown will have big effects on the rest of the industry, and not in good ways.
None of that is sustainable if these pirates and emulators continue to grow, which we know they do because more and more people every year are getting PC and other devices that care capable of emulating consoles such as the Switch.

With how competitive the hybrid market will become, with everyone from Microsoft to Valve jumping into the mix if the Switch 2 get hacked and emulated early once again a huge chunk of Nintendo's competitve advantage is over the whole gen, and emulation is the biggest threat to Nintendo, people who downplay the scale of emulation and pirates don't realize how widespread it is and how this will only continue to grow in the future at quick speed.

If Nintendo is so desperate to stop piracy, then perhaps instead of being an asshole and destroying one of the viable avenues of game preservation, they should enforce performance standards (at least locked 30fps) on Switch games. Lots of games, including ones published by Nintendo themselves, are in states that range from aggravating to completely unacceptable. I'm not going to be one of those people that grouse about outdated hardware, but there are other avenues to disincentivize emulation they can travel without doing this BS.

I hate this argument man, just admit piracy is harmful and take the L.

Nothing is free, forcing something to be free will always result in someone being fucked over. Today it's "it's just a soda from Walmart" tomorrow it's a employee losing their job because of too much theft.

Think logical; Profit margins today in the gaming industry is not sustainable, imagine how sustainable this industry is if millions of games with a budget of hundreds of millions just get downloaded for free. Sure the gaming industry could adapt to that by never making any sort of AAA games in the future and just release low budget games.

1/20 players of Tears of the Kingdom played the game for free on their PC, and that number is only going to grow. The next Zelda game could have 5 million who download the game for free, a much bigger chunk of the overall player base.
TBF, it will be a while before a functioning Switch 2 emulator is up and correct at least at the level of Yuzu. Especially if this case ends up scaring many devs underground and slowing down progress. This is only stalling things. (provided no precedent is made in Nintendo's favor. Holy shit that would be a disaster.)

I have pirated a LOT (sometimes I still do, just not as often) but I also own over a hundred physical media games and twice that in digital media (steam + nintendo eshop).
Most of it is nintendo and old Playstation games.

I have pictures of my whole collection if anyone's doubting my words, not because I care, but because I like sharing my collection.

As someone who used ryujinx and yuzu for over a year and then bought a switch mainly because I wanted to play Splatoon online and games on the go, I think piracy can at times be a gateway to getting people to buy official hardware.

That said, being a member of emulation communities for quite some time, I always felt kinda disappointed when some dumbass would try and shit on people who do things the regular way. People who boast about playing the game in 60fps when the game isn't like, a fast action shooter or a rhythm game and the console plays it at 30 without or with barely any dips.

When people would try and compare the deck using emulation to the switch despite the battery runtime not being comparable at all as well as device size, ease of use... etc..

I remember EVEN ryujinx mods would mock some of these people sometimes hahaha

Never thought I'd side with the "I preserve Nintendo Switch games two weeks before their release" people but here we are

Nothing is free, forcing something to be free will always result in someone being fucked over. Today it's "it's just a soda from Walmart" tomorrow it's a employee losing their job because of too much theft.
This is a hilariously uninformed argument about how retail theft and shrinkage works, as someone who has worked in retail. I suggest you actually look up the impact on theft in retail before repeating reactionary arguments used against people in poverty.

I feel somewhat conflicted about this.

On one hand Nintendo is absolutely doing low blows. They could have done the right things which are tightening control on retail channels and cracking down on ROM distributors. Instead they did the easy thing which is coming after emulators.

On the other hand, when I skim through Yuzu's Twitter, there are many cases where they actively advertised day-1 support for first party titles. They could have kept a low profile by focusing only on technical improvements (e.g. shader cache, resolution scaling, etc.) but alas ...
Yep. It's the profiting off of it that gets me. No, you are not paying for the distribution of ROMs with the Yuzu Patreon. But charging for an update that was pushed through for the sole purpose of being able to play a new game on Yuzu, on release date? Yuzu fucked themselves by doing that, let alone advertising it as often as they did.

Like yeah fuck Nintendo, but this isn't them going after Dolphin or somebody. Thanks to the Patreon, Nintendo does have a case here. Where my hangup exists is that if Nintendo wins here, they very well are going to go after Dolphin lol. But the people looking at this like Nintendo are going after the Dolphin devs confuse me. The Dolphin devs don't accept donations AFAIK and they also aren't working on a system that is actively being supported and sold. The precendent Nintendo's victory sets here is another topic entirely and is cause for concern, but imo Nintendo going after Yuzu in particular isn't this heinous crime.

TBF, it will be a while before a functioning Switch 2 emulator is up and correct at least at the level of Yuzu. Especially if this case ends up scaring many devs underground and slowing down progress. This is only stalling things. (provided no precedent is made in Nintendo's favor. Holy shit that would be a disaster.)
Emulation does not preserve gaming, contrary its a threat to the whole gaming industry by making gaming a less sustainable industry, so if you care about game preservation stop supporting emulation which will only lead this very badly damaged industry to its financial ruins in the end. The growth of high end PC gaming and with it emulation will spell the same kind of fate to console gaming as it previously did to handheld systems such as the Vita and the DS, which saw a collapse in software sales due to incredible amounts of piracy. Without emulation piracy becomes nothing.

I mean, that's irrelevant to this discussion. Like yes, Nintendo is better on the employee side than most other gaming companies. That still makes them a billion dollar business and all the capitalist problems that carries. Such as using its weight in lawsuits like this. A bag of crap that is holding 9 pounds of crap rather than 10 is still a bag of crap.

This is a hilariously uninformed argument about how retail theft and shrinkage works, as someone who has worked in retail. I suggest you actually look up the impact on theft in retail before repeating reactionary arguments used against people in poverty.
My man I've worked in retail and fast food for the last 9 years. I don't deny that corporations are scummy and are always looking for a means of screwing over people, but I'm also not obvious to the fact that theft hurts, and it's not suddenly justified because a corporation is larger. Piracy is theft.
I mean, that's irrelevant to this discussion. Like yes, Nintendo is better on the employee side than most other gaming companies. That still makes them a billion dollar business and all the capitalist problems that carries. Such as using its weight in lawsuits like this. A bag of crap that is holding 9 pounds of crap rather than 10 is still a bag of crap.
If the Yuzu team has crossed a line that makes them able to be sued, than it's really only their own fault imo. Nintendo shouldn't be trying to bully them like this, but again, piracy is theft and it hurts their business.

Moon Channel talked a bit about how this might go if Nintendo were to fully come after Emulation

The TLDR is we really don't know how this will turn out. Nintendo is largely assumed to benefit more from a status quo instead of actually acting against emulation for many reasons, including backlash, setting unfavorable legal precedents, etc. But if they decided to actually go on the offensive, the precedent for the legality of emulation is surprisingly flimsy and established decades ago, with tech having changed a ton since then. They'd likely be supported by every major player in the industry, and the legal climate is more favorable towards large business.

Last edited:
By the by, how is the state of PS5 emulation and Series X emulation?

Emulation does not preserve gaming, contrary its a threat to the whole gaming industry by making gaming a less sustainable industry, so if you care about game preservation stop supporting emulation which will only lead this very badly damaged industry to its financial ruins in the end. The growth of high end PC gaming and with it emulation will spell the same kind of fate to console gaming as it previously did to handheld systems such as the Vita and the DS, which saw a collapse in software sales due to incredible amounts of piracy. Without emulation piracy becomes nothing.
It's one thing to emulate decades old games whose systems are long out of print. That is preserving a history whose hardware and physical software is scarce.

It's another thing to emulate a current machine. Is how I see it.

Moon Channel talked a bit about how this might go if Nintendo were to fully come after Emulation

The TLDR is we really don't know how this will turn out. The precedent for the legality of emulation is surprisingly flimsy and established decades ago, with tech having changed a ton since then. They'd likely be supported by every major player in the industry, and the legal climate is more favorable towards large business.

we'll see if a corpo friendly judge sides with Nintendo's arguments on how the DMCA can be applied to itself

Well, let's see Nintendo come up with a Switch 2 that isn't underpowered and easy to emulate.
The hackers will do everything they can to hack into Switch 2, they seem obsessed about destroying Nintendo, as evidence by their Subreddits and youtube videos, they are aiming to kill Nintendo as a company true their efforts, and they will succeed in the future if nothing changes.

As a point of comparison, here is the revenue of the music industry and US home entertainment industry across the years:

30-years-of-music-sales-2.png
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd827e26d-b92a-4737-93b0-c711fd2b212f_1592x1150.png

Guess what the dip in the 2000s was mostly caused by. The counterpoint to this has been streaming, which is proving to be unsustainable in its own way and came with different approaches to "content". And its boom was also paired with bigger crackdowns on piracy.
The result is way less people would pay 20$ for a cd or blu ray nowadays. Easy rampant piracy leads to the devaluing of media.

Now, the film industry has movie tickets and the music industry has concerts. They will always survive. They can sell the experience.
What do games have? Other than the physicality of the hardware, which is getting more homogenous as the years go by, not much.
Will the streaming model adapt to games - which cost upwards of 60$ and can take over 100h to experience - as well as it does for movies?
There's GAAS, I guess. Always online experiences. Microtransactions.
Squid Sisters concerts.

Last edited:
Correct if I'm wrong, but regarding to the DMCA and Yuzu decryption, does it means that if Yuzu allowed an extracted game file systems to run directly they would be good to go? I mean, the responsibility would be on whoever decrypted the game at first place. I always thought Yuzu avoided this to not encourage piracy instead of a technical limitation. But maybe I'm wrong and there's still some need for the keys during runtime.

Did chatgpt write this?

Reads like Ai manufactured bait.

The TLDR is we really don't know how this will turn out. Nintendo is largely assumed to benefit more from a status quo instead of actually acting against emulation for many reasons, including backlash, setting unfavorable legal precedents, etc. But if they decided to actually go on the offensive, the precedent for the legality of emulation is surprisingly flimsy and established decades ago, with tech having changed a ton since then. They'd likely be supported by every major player in the industry, and the legal climate is more favorable towards large business.

Can you TL;DR the first legal battle with emulation for me? Who initiated and what was the ruling?

Sis are you a cop or what lmao

Valve seems to be in an alliance with Yuzu:

Makes sense, Valve is in competition with Nintendo, Nintendo has an large library of exclusive games that Valve wants to have emulated into the steam deck to make the Steam deck a credible alternative to the Switch.

So Valve is promoting emulation of Nintendo games, which shows that Valve is a threat to Nintendo.

I yearn to be so bereft of challenge in my life that the welfare of billion dollar corporations is my concern.

My man I've worked in retail and fast food for the last 9 years. I don't deny that corporations are scummy and are always looking for a means of screwing over people, but I'm also not obvious to the fact that theft hurts, and it's not suddenly justified because a corporation is larger. Piracy is theft.
You admit the corporations actively harm workers, so I dunno why you'd take their side on this one.

Can you TL;DR the first legal battle with emulation for me? Who initiated and what was the ruling?
Here's the wiki article on it:

The court's decision[edit]​

The Ninth Circuit Court's 3-0 ruling [2] centered on deciding whether or not Connectix's copying of the PlayStation firmware while reverse engineering it had been protected by fair use. The court relied heavily on the similar case between Sega Enterprises Ltd. v. Accolade Inc. in 1992, where the key finding relating to Connectix v. Sony was that copying for the purpose of reverse engineering was within fair use.

Each of the four components of fair use were considered by the court individually. The components are the nature of the copyrighted work, the amount and substantiality of the portion used, the purpose and character of the use and the effect of the use on the potential market.

1. Nature of the copyrighted work[edit]​

While the Ninth District Court did acknowledge that software code does deserve copyright protection, the court, following the precedent of Sega v. Accolade, deemed that the PlayStation firmware fell under a lowered degree of copyright protection because it contained unprotected parts (functional elements) that could not be examined without copying.[3] The court also rejected the semantic distinction between "studying" and "use" made by the district court, finding it to be artificial. The court case states, "[T]hey disassembled Sony's code not just to study the concepts. They actually used that code in the development of [their] product."[4]

2. Amount and substantiality of the portion used[edit]​

The court saw this criterion as being of little significance to the case at hand. While Connectix did disassemble and copy the Sony BIOS repeatedly over the course of reverse engineering, the final product of the Virtual Game Station contained no infringing material. As a result, "this factor [held] ... very little weight."[4] in determining the decision.

3. Purpose and character of the use[edit]​

Sony had argued that Connectix infringed Sony's copyright by making numerous intermediate copies (that is, copies of copyrighted computer code created to aid the development of a non-infringing product[5]) of the PlayStation BIOS during the reverse engineering process. The court rejected this notion, ruling that such a copy-grounded basis for what qualified as fair use would result in software engineers choosing inefficient engineering methods that minimized the number of intermediate copies. Preventing such "wasted effort", they argued, was the very purpose of fair use.[6]

In addition, the court found that the ultimate purpose and character of Connectix's use of Sony's BIOS - in that it created a new platform for Sony PlayStation games - qualified as "modestly transformative."[3] This factor of fair use, therefore, lay in Connectix's favor.

4. Effect of the use upon the potential market[edit]​

The court held in favor of Connectix on this point as well. While the Virtual Game Station might very well lower Sony's PlayStation console sales, its transformative status- allowing PlayStation games to be played on Mac - rendered it a legitimate competitor in the market for Sony and Sony-licensed games:[3] "For this reason, some economic loss by Sony as a result of this competition does not compel a finding of no fair use. Sony understandably seeks control over the market for devices that play games Sony produces or licenses. The copyright law, however, does not confer such a monopoly."[4]

The Ninth Circuit Court also reversed the district court's ruling that the Virtual Game Station tarnished Sony's "PlayStation" trademark. Sony had to show that (1) the PlayStation "mark is famous"; (2) Connectix is "making commercial use of the mark"; (3) Connectix's "use began after the mark became famous"; and that (4) Connectix's "use of the mark dilutes the quality of the mark by diminishing the capacity of the mark to identify and distinguish goods and services." As the first three points were not under debate (Connectix conceded points (1) and (3) ), the court addressed only the fourth point.

The court also took the opinion that the provided studies were lacking sufficient evidence of diluting the PlayStation trademark: "The evidence here fails to show or suggest that Sony's mark or product was regarded or was likely to be regarded negatively because of its performance on Connectix's Virtual Game Station. The evidence is not even substantial on the quality of that performance. … Sony's tarnishment claim cannot support the injunction."[4]

Conclusion and aftermath[edit]​

The Ninth Circuit Court reversed the district court's decision both on the copyright infringement and the trademark tarnishing claims, lifting the injunction against Connectix. Connectix immediately filed a motion with the district court to summarily dismiss Sony's lawsuit.[5] After a failed attempt by Sony to appeal the case to the Supreme Court, the two companies settled out of court about a year later. On March 15, 2001, Sony purchased the VGS rights from Connectix. They discontinued the product June 30 of that year.[1] Connectix itself closed in August 2003.

Video game emulation advocates have asserted that Sony vs. Connectix established the legality of emulators within the United States.[5]

The hackers will do everything they can to hack into Switch 2, they seem obsessed about destroying Nintendo, as evidence by their Subreddits and youtube videos, they are aiming to kill Nintendo as a company true their efforts, and they will succeed in the future if nothing changes.
Okay you've had a series of posts bordering on conspiracy theories, you gotta tone it down or step away for a bit. Nintendo will be completely fine. There's no need to catastrophize the circumstances of what emulation would/will do for Nintendo's future business. Especially with the several mentions of "the next Zelda could be pirated by 5 million people" - you have literally nothing to base this info on and it's making several huge assumptions like the Switch 2 being hackable and/or emulatable by the time the next Zelda rolls around.

You admit the corporations actively harm workers, so I dunno why you'd take their side on this one.
What is it that you don't get? No profits, no industry, no workers. Emulation and piracy work against the interest of all these workers by making their industry unsustainable. These gaming companies don't employ their developers to make games that people then download and play for free on Yuzu.

What is it that you don't get? No profits, no industry, no workers. Emulation and piracy work against the interest of all these workers by making their industry unsustainable. These gaming companies don't employ their developers to make games that people then download and play for free on Yuzu.
This assumes piracy will overtake consumers paying for products to the point of rendering it useless. Do you think Nintendo is in danger of bankruptcy due to piracy?

PlayStation just announced that they're laying off 900 people despite being profitable for years. I don't think these companies need piracy as an excuse to harm their workers lol.

I just feel there's a middle ground here that's being overlooked. I'm no saint, I've pirated many of things in my life. I've watched cam copies of movies days after they premier in theaters. I only ever played Captain Toad Treasure Tracker because I hacked my Wii U and pirated it, and when I was like 14 I pirated 3DSMax a $3000 3D modeling program just to make a Smash Brawl mod, yet I'm not oblivious to the fact that I'm contributing to the problem. Nintendo probably shouldn't win this case because of the precedent it will create, but it's only a matter of time before a line in the sand has to be drawn.

For directly insulting another member and your past history of ill-mannered behavior, you have been permanently thread banned and site banned for 1 month. -mariodk18, meatbag, xghost777, Volcanic Dynamo
This assumes piracy will overtake consumers paying for products to the point of rendering it useless. Do you think Nintendo is in danger of bankruptcy due to piracy?
In the future 100 %, the more people that have a PC that are capable of emulating consoles such as the Switch the more people will pirate and emulate such products. The demand is there, people of course want to play Nintendo games for free, so if the demand is there already the only thing stopping it from dominating already is knowledge and capability. When those two things grow which they will do as more people all over the world get into the digital age then piracy of video games will just explode, rendering companies such as Nintendo entirely obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom