• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Nintendo is lowkey refostering relations with AAA third party this gen

Kreese

Koopa
Banned
I get that everyone knows the Switch has seen amazing (especially indie) third party support this gen compared to previous gens, so maybe you don't consider it low key, but there are so many inroads being re fostered with ports and remasters of games that would never see the light of day on Nintendo platforms in the past like GTA, 3D Ninja Gaiden, Burnout, Crysis, Isolation, Doom, Dark Souls the list goes on and on. Not to mention Japan where Switch has tons of native support and games like MH Rise proving how successful third parties can be with Nintendo.

People may look at these games and say they're just not day and date multiplats, but what they actually are are refostered relations that are increasingly strengthening and will be stronger than ever when Switch is 4k capable and has newer more scalable tech.

ports and remasters of games that would never see the light of day on Nintendo platforms in the past like GTA, 3D Ninja Gaiden, Burnout, Crysis, Isolation, Doom, Dark Souls the list goes on and on. Not to mention Japan where Switch has tons of native support and games like MH Rise proving how successful third parties can be with Nintendo.

DS,Wii U,Gamecube,....,....,Snes/64,...

Only third party game I want and would buy religiously is missing. Maybe the next go round. One of the reason I could care less about more powerful hardware if the games aren’t there.

Hopefully Vanillaware gets back on board someday. (I know Atlus has to do with it but still)
This is a glaring absence, indeed, as the VanillaWare games would fit right in on the console and almost certainly find a worthwhile audience. Even, and especially, bringing over their previous titles would probably turn out well.

I demand these arrive with physical editions.

Hopefully Vanillaware gets back on board someday. (I know Atlus has to do with it but still)
Atlus isn’t the reason VanillaWare games aren’t on Switch, VanillaWare themselves being a) super small b) almost bankrupt because of 13S’ prolonged dev cycles and c) yeah, having super long dev cycles with little room to maneuver in response to market conditions that arise during the course of development are the reason.

I don’t know where this idea that Atlus doesn’t support Nintendo comes from. They’re among Nintendo’s most prominent third party partners. They’ve been there on practically every single Nintendo platform, and about half of the DS and 3DS’ most prominent third party games come from them, their biggest budget game ever is due to come to Switch EXCLUSIVELY next month, they were one of like three developers who committed a major exclusive to the Wii U of all systems, they had an announcement for the Switch reveal, they even had something on Virtual Boy of all things lol.

Yes, Persona has been Sony aligned so far. But Atlus is far more than Persona.

Anyway on topic, I agree. Nothing low key about it either, other than a lot of people not understanding trends (until it’s too late and then they’re taken by surprise at what happened, see also- Japan).

I find it amusing that one cartridge based system in the age of optical media caused Nintendo the total loss of their third party support, and then their next cartridge based system (similarly also in the age of cheaper optical and digital media) is the one that earned them that support back. Of course storage media is no longer as important in determining a system’s fate on the market, but it’s a funny thing echo of how things went down.

I think is more “switch is sooo massive success that only the most stubborn dev can face front ignore it”.
Bloody Capcom gave them the could shoulder/ Second rate citizen’s treatment early on, and they were likely the 1st dev to be shown a Switch Prototype and Nintendo even upgraded the RAM based on Capcom’s request

Is asking for a native port of the Kingdom Hearts games port begging? Anyways, it's pretty crazy that you can find Dark Souls on the Switch, and even get a Dark Souls amiibo.

I really feel that third party developers will finally cement the Switch as a core machine is so close to happening. But in order to do that, a few things need to happen.

1. Nintendo needs to get the next gen switch out of the door ASAP. If Nintendo can get third parties while they are in dual development mode, and since a next gen switch will be really close to PS4, most third parties can aim for all platforms and take advantage of the massive user base of Switch 2, PS4, PS5, XSX.
2. There needs to be a solution for memory. Nintendo really needs to subsidize their 64 gig cartridges, maybe by making their big 1st party games 64 gigs(supply and demand).

If they can do those things, boy. We would be in great shape. Sure, a lot of third party games will need to be held back a little. But already, third parties seem pretty happy with PS4 power levels, even now.

AAA no, not really. with AA and indies, it has been a slam dunk though and i expect it to continue in the future

Now if EA could get their shit together and port Mass Effect to the Switch, that would be great.
The EA and Nintendo grudge goes back to Trip Hawkins. It's virtually corporate culture at this point but I think time itself heals all beefs, and money, especially money. There have been books written on this very subject.

I think the OP is spot on. Western 3rd-party publishers may drag their heels just a wee bit, but Nintendo has likely worked the room back home in Japan, both for the current Switch and what's to come, and to a certain extent, it shows. Change is sometimes slow, but there's honestly absolutely nowhere for things to go but up.

I keep misreading the title as "Nintendo is lowkey reforesting relations with AAA third party this gen"

Well, it's not perfect but it improved a lot and, as long as their hardware/target strategy will not be the same as Sony/MS I think it can't improve much more

They basically

• built a strong environment (dev tool + policy + sales) for indie
  • they created / reinforced western relationship (Bethesda, Cdk Project, Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft, 2K, THQ)
  • they greatly improved in terms of AA Japanese support (Koei, Nis, Furyu, Konami...even Falcom and CC2 somehiw, lately)
  • they are getting significant support from SE and Capcom (even if Capcom plans took a lot to come to fruition)

There is room for improvement imho with Activision to get COD in some form, and with Sega a d Bamco to easy relationships with top managers over there

EA wont be there, ever, as other AAAA productions, but...

built a strong environment (dev tool + policy + sales) for indie
yeah, with Nintendo, AT BEST, suplying 1 game per month, and scarce input of big 3rd party AAA games / publisher, coupled with better service/ policies, Switch become a thriving ground for indie games. There is a plethora of charts, breakdowns and stories of how Switch is basically the get to go platform for indie games.

Back
Top Bottom