• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Nintendo has announced the most downloaded titles on Japan's eShop during H1 2023

when i got a switch in 2018, Human: Fall Flat seemed really notable for being a great example of the silly shit you could do with gyro

i don’t think it was especially hyped, but maybe it sat in featured for a while?

most importantly: it was cheap

and it seems they keep adding to it

i haven’t played it in years, but… I do find myself thinking about it a lot. there really is nothing like it, and i appreciate that

it’s nice to see that its little niche has been good to it

actually I think people do prefer Koraidon

but people want the bike
Sorry that is what I meant. People prefer the bike nature of Miraidon over Koraidon's goofy running animation.

Edit: oh and fun fact this is only the second time the second version outsold the first version and that was Gold and Silver. Silver most likely outsold Gold because of Lugia's prominent role in the 2nd movie.

Will be kind of interesting to see what happens with the Prime subseries going forward. Dread actually did well in Japan, yet Prime Remake completely flopped as expected. Presumably it being an FPS is still a major barrier in the region, where even Other M was more popular than the Prime games.

Will be kind of interesting to see what happens with the Prime subseries going forward. Dread actually did well in Japan, yet Prime Remake completely flopped as expected. Presumably it being an FPS is still a major barrier in the region, where even Other M was more popular than the Prime games.
The only way I could see Prime's fortunes changing any is if they gave it a third person camera option, not unlike how RE Village did so.

It's actually an idea I wish Nintendo and Retro would consider, because unless they plan to give us plenty of FOV options (too?), you're always going to turn off those who maybe would like to play the game, but motion-sickness will always keep you away.

The only way I could see Prime's fortunes changing any is if they gave it a third person camera option, not unlike how RE Village did so.

It's actually an idea I wish Nintendo and Retro would consider, because unless they plan to give us plenty of FOV options (too?), you're always going to turn off those who maybe would like to play the game, but motion-sickness will always keep you away.
Probably a good idea, although probably hard to design around in the way that Metroid is typically structured. It does seem like Japan has been pretty definitive on that as far as their preferences. I mentioned this in another thread previously, but it feels like even the rest of the world has more heavily gravitated towards single player experiences being 3rd person vs 1st person in the modern era. Increasingly rare to see a 1st person single player game really succeed, and fewer being made. Bethesda is half in half out at this point, and only Cyberpunk sticks out as a game that stuck to it's guns, and succeeded commercially, even though a lot of people wanted it to be 3rd person.

Probably a good idea, although probably hard to design around in the way that Metroid is typically structured. It does seem like Japan has been pretty definitive on that as far as their preferences. I mentioned this in another thread previously, but it feels like even the rest of the world has more heavily gravitated towards single player experiences being 3rd person vs 1st person in the modern era. Increasingly rare to see a 1st person single player game really succeed, and fewer being made. Bethesda is half in half out at this point, and only Cyberpunk sticks out as a game that stuck to it's guns, and succeeded commercially, even though a lot of people wanted it to be 3rd person.
One of Cyberpunk's (many, many) problems is that was originally third-person but became first-person out of development necessity. The entire system to create your own character's look is almost wholly pointless because of that.

If they had both AAA and small budget development going on at the same time, I'd also want that. But they don't.
But, they do? Like, that's exactly what they do. In the last few years they released Mega Man 11, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Ghost N' Goblins Ressurection, and they just announced Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess. And honestly even Exoprimal isn't AAA, that's a double A game if I've ever seen one. They're not Square Enix levels of AA publishing but that's because they do everything in house, they're actually probably one of the more consistent studios to publish internal AA games of the past few years.

When people really complain about Capcom not releasing "smaller games" they're really just saying they want more Mega Man and Ace Attorney and it's so transparent. Just say that instead of not including games that don't come to a platform you like.

One of Cyberpunk's (many, many) problems is that was originally third-person but became first-person out of development necessity. The entire system to create your own character's look is almost wholly pointless because of that.
Interesting, I had no idea. I wonder if they will reverse course on that at some point then, or with the sequel.

But, they do? Like, that's exactly what they do. In the last few years they released Mega Man 11, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Ghost N' Goblins Ressurection, and they just announced Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess. And honestly even Exoprimal isn't AAA, that's a double A game if I've ever seen one. They're not Square Enix levels of AA publishing but that's because they do everything in house, they're actually probably one of the more consistent studios to publish internal AA games of the past few years.

When people really complain about Capcom not releasing "smaller games" they're really just saying they want more Mega Man and Ace Attorney and it's so transparent. Just say that instead of not including games that don't come to a platform you like.
I said in my post they haven't done anything in smaller scale since MH Stories 2 and you listed games that released before it. I don't know what current exact budget AAA stands for but Exoprimal sure is not in the same leagues as Mh Stories 2. I know I shouldn't say AAA specifically but there is not a term for "games Switch can run without any miracle work".

Yeah Capcom repeats same promises over and over again but I wanna see some action. No new AA game in 6 years and no new MM game in 5 years. I wanna see that change. We made our "noises", those 20 something years old MM game hit the nice spots on the lists. Now it's Capcom's turn to keep their promises.

where did you read that?
Early concept demos specifically used a third-person gameplay view. And there's zero point to a character creation suite that gives you access to a level of detail including dick size if you're only ever going to see your character in the occasional reflection.

I said in my post they haven't done anything in smaller scale since MH Stories 2 and you listed games that released before it. I don't know what current exact budget AAA stands for but Exoprimal sure is not in the same leagues as Mh Stories 2. I know I shouldn't say AAA specifically but there is not a term for "games Switch can run without any miracle work".

Yeah Capcom repeats same promises over and over again but I wanna see some action. No new AA game in 6 years and no new MM game in 5 years. I wanna see that change. We made our "noises", those 20 something years old MM game hit the nice spots on the lists. Now it's Capcom's turn to keep their promises.
Ghost N' Goblins came out like right before MH Stories, and Exoprimal and Kasumi have/will release after it. This is a pretty disingenuous point, especially since they're all in house and they have multiple teams working on other stuff. But sure, you do you. There's nothing wrong with wanting more Mega Man. Just say that next time.

3vfc9r.jpg

I say I want more Mega Man games…

Ace Attorney Trilogy sitting at #20 years after it came out, meanwhile it’s been 6 years since the last game that wasn’t just a re-release. Capcom what are you waiting for.

Increasingly rare to see a 1st person single player game really succeed, and fewer being made. Bethesda is half in half out at this point, and only Cyberpunk sticks out as a game that stuck to it's guns, and succeeded commercially, even though a lot of people wanted it to be 3rd person.
Personally I don't see Bethesda's games as it being a meaningful option. I know a guy who likes to play Elder Scrolls in third person, but I don't really get it--it basically feels the same as in first-person, just now with more of the screen covered up by your guy. At least on PC it's possible to make the experience closer to something like a Zelda, but it takes mods.

Personally I don't see Bethesda's games as it being a meaningful option. I know a guy who likes to play Elder Scrolls in third person, but I don't really get it--it basically feels the same as in first-person, just now with more of the screen covered up by your guy. At least on PC it's possible to make the experience closer to something like a Zelda, but it takes mods.
I'm the guy who plays Elder Scrolls in third person, it's me

First person is just a very disorienting viewpoint that I'd rather not be forced into if I can help it

I'm the guy who plays Elder Scrolls in third person, it's me

First person is just a very disorienting viewpoint that I'd rather not be forced into if I can help it
It me, the guy that played the entirety of Skyrim and Fallout 4 in third-person.

It's one of those games that enthusiast forums don't care about because it's not an enthusiast game. Not a major, established IP, not a "traditional" genre, not a visual showpiece, popularized by streamers enthusiast forums don't watch, etc
This is all true, and in addition, a big reason for its sales is that it's extremely popular in China. It's not easy to get games released in China in the first place, and Human Fall Flat is available there on Android/iOS as well as Steam China. And it's very prevalent on Chinese streaming and YouTube clones.

Nice to see FE Engage up there. It's a good game and I enjoyed playing through it, despite its really silly story.

Ace Attorney Trilogy at #20 is honestly super impressive. Yeah, it's often on sale, but these are extremely old games that have seen numerous rereleases.

Back
Back
Top Bottom