• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Nintendo has announced the most downloaded titles on Japan's eShop during H1 2023

1UpMango

I'm late to Team 2023
Pronouns
he/him

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  2. Fire Emblem Engage
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  4. Splatoon 3
  5. Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection Vol. 2
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  7. Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection Vol. 1
  8. Kirby's Return to Dream Land
  9. Monster Hunter Rise
  10. Pokémon Violet
  11. Overcooked! 2
  12. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  13. Persona 4 Golden
  14. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  15. Minecraft
  16. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  17. Human Fall Flat
  18. Pokémon Scarlet
  19. Persona 3 Portable
  20. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
  21. Among Us
  22. Nintendo Switch Sports
  23. Kirby's Dream Buffet
  24. FINAL FANTASY V
  25. FINAL FANTASY VI
  26. PowerWash Simulator
  27. 桃太郎電鉄 ~昭和 平成 令和も定番!~(Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa Mo Teiban!)
  28. Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life
  29. Mario Party Superstars
  30. Pikmin 2
Direct link here:

Pikmin 2 showing up at 30 with such a small window either says it sold a ton or the lower end of the top 30 was a very small amount of downloads.

PowerWash Simulator is quite the sleeper hit.

and Pikmin 2 over Pikmin 1!? (I'm guessing Pikmin 1 is just off the chart)

Wow, Human Fall Flat getting up there.
Human Fall Flat is a weird game when it comes to sales, because I feel like you never really see people talk about it and yet it does absolute numbers. Maybe one of the the biggest examples of a sleeper hit.

Like, according to Wikipedia's list (admittedly not a 100% infallible record keeper, obvs), it's a top 20 all-time best-selling video game. As in ever, across all platforms. Wiki has it right above Mario Kart Wii and right below freaking Pac-Man.

Quoted by: Tye
Human Fall Flat is a weird game when it comes to sales, because I feel like you never really see people talk about it and yet it does absolute numbers. Maybe one of the the biggest examples of a sleeper hit.

Like, according to Wikipedia's list (admittedly not a 100% infallible record keeper, obvs), it's a top 20 all-time best-selling video game. As in ever, across all platforms. Wiki has it right above Mario Kart Wii and right below freaking Pac-Man.
This game always perplexed me, even more so when I learned just how popular it apparently is. Like, if it’s so popular then why does nobody talk about it?? It always looked like shovelware to me and the name certainly doesn’t do it any favors—“Human: Fall Flat” is such a weird title. What does it mean? Why the colon? Is it part of a “Human” series? Why is it called that? And how did the game even get so popular in the first place? Is it just because it’s on sale often, or what? I feel like it can’t be word of mouth because you never hear anyone talk about it, and I don’t recall ever seeing the game promoted in, like, an Indie Showcase or anything either.

atlus seeing crusty old persona ports selling well
EKcJlBfWwAAE8uH.jpg

The games in the list is rather enlightening and surprising.
  • Tears of the Kingdom and Fire Emblem Engage being the first two are of no surprise, given how they were released in the first half of 2023. I guess Kirby's Return to Dream Land didn't do as well because it's an old game that is Deluxe-ised.
  • Battle Network selling this well is very promising. I have long presumed that fans only care about the Classic Mega Man and its timeline (including X, Zero, ZX, and Legends) while the black sheep series are the branched timeline consisting of Battle Network and Star Force. I don't think the collections for the classic timeline did nearly as well as Battle Network, so to see that there is room for a new game is splendid.
  • Of the two Battle Network games, the second one doing better than the first is surprising. Usually fans vouch for the first three games, but I guess the second half has its share of fans.
  • Pokemon Violet performs better than Pokemon Scarlet, which is once again showing a general preference for one version over the other. Even in the fan communities, Violet is viewed as the more popular game.
  • Somehow, only two Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters show up on the list, and I am pleasantly surprised that V is the most popular one, even over VI.
  • Momotaro Dentetsu is still a perennial seller here, even among the Nintendo evergreens like Mario Kart and Mario Party.
  • Pikmin 2 is a surprising inclusion even though it was released very late in the first half of 2023. Perhaps there's promise in the popularity of Pikmin.
Thank you for reading.

No Xenoblade on the list, huh. Unfortunate but it is what it is, I didn't really expect that anyway.

Battle Network selling this well is very promising. I have long presumed that fans only care about the Classic Mega Man and its timeline (including X, Zero, ZX, and Legends) while the black sheep series are the branched timeline consisting of Battle Network and Star Force. I don't think the collections for the classic timeline did nearly as well as Battle Network, so to see that there is room for a new game is splendid.
Battle Network is HUGE and kind of transcends normal Mega Man to a degree. It's one of those few multimedia things that actually somewhat worked out with a decently successful anime. Hell, Battle Network 4 is like one of the best selling Mega Man games, behind 2 and 11. There has always been more real interest in Battle Network than the rest of Mega Man. Hell, speaking purely for myself as a kid, I thought Battle Network was just how Mega Man is until I learned with Mega Man 9 that no, it's really not originally that.

battle network being up there is so damn rad man. i need more games in that franchise after Starforce, it was such a fun concept for an action rpg

The games in the list is rather enlightening and surprising.
  • Tears of the Kingdom and Fire Emblem Engage being the first two are of no surprise, given how they were released in the first half of 2023. I guess Kirby's Return to Dream Land didn't do as well because it's an old game that is Deluxe-ised.
  • Battle Network selling this well is very promising. I have long presumed that fans only care about the Classic Mega Man and its timeline (including X, Zero, ZX, and Legends) while the black sheep series are the branched timeline consisting of Battle Network and Star Force. I don't think the collections for the classic timeline did nearly as well as Battle Network, so to see that there is room for a new game is splendid.
  • Of the two Battle Network games, the second one doing better than the first is surprising. Usually fans vouch for the first three games, but I guess the second half has its share of fans.
  • Pokemon Violet performs better than Pokemon Scarlet, which is once again showing a general preference for one version over the other. Even in the fan communities, Violet is viewed as the more popular game.
  • Somehow, only two Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters show up on the list, and I am pleasantly surprised that V is the most popular one, even over VI.
  • Momotaro Dentetsu is still a perennial seller here, even among the Nintendo evergreens like Mario Kart and Mario Party.
  • Pikmin 2 is a surprising inclusion even though it was released very late in the first half of 2023. Perhaps there's promise in the popularity of Pikmin.
Thank you for reading.
There's a pretty big generational divide between Classic MegaMan fans and Battle Network Fans. Essentially, if you grew up with a GBA, you probably were a huge MMBN fan over the classic games. It really was a unique spin on the subject.

As for popularity of the collections, while the west puts 3 (and 2 to a lesser extent) as the pinnacle, 5 was immensely popular in Japan and has a pretty big following here in the West. 5 was the first time (aside form Battle Chip Challenge which doesn't count) that you could play as other Navis. 5 got multiple remakes as well Japan-only so it's no surprise it did better than Vol 1.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  2. Fire Emblem Engage
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  4. Splatoon 3
  5. Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection Vol. 2
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  7. Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection Vol. 1
  8. Kirby's Return to Dream Land
  9. Monster Hunter Rise
  10. Pokémon Violet
  11. Overcooked! 2
  12. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  13. Persona 4 Golden
  14. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  15. Minecraft
  16. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  17. Human Fall Flat
  18. Pokémon Scarlet
  19. Persona 3 Portable
  20. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
  21. Among Us
  22. Nintendo Switch Sports
  23. Kirby's Dream Buffet
  24. FINAL FANTASY V
  25. FINAL FANTASY VI
  26. PowerWash Simulator
  27. 桃太郎電鉄 ~昭和 平成 令和も定番!~(Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa Mo Teiban!)
  28. Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life
  29. Mario Party Superstars
  30. Pikmin 2
Direct link here:

Woah Fire Emblem and Pikmin 2 unexpected results

The Battle Network collections weren't out until mid April so them being so high is pretty wild. Considering how much it has sold i'd say a new game is a lock, but we'll have to wait a bit until it gets announced.

Also pleasantly surprised to see Persona 4 and 3 so high, I was under the impression that late ports of RPGS tended to sell poor in Japan (Battle Network and DQ11S aside). A solid reminder to Atlus there is an audience on Nintendo systems.

Also Fire Emblem Engage at no 2 is interesting, I was under the impression it hadn't done as well as 3 houses but the games must have really resonated in Japan.

The fact that there are 4 Capcom games above the first Square Enix title, one of them being Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney trilogy, is insane.

Capgods at it again!

Capcom looks at this list and goes "Yeah I totally should invest more on new IP AAA games, that's totally what my fanbase wants".

This game always perplexed me, even more so when I learned just how popular it apparently is. Like, if it’s so popular then why does nobody talk about it?? It always looked like shovelware to me and the name certainly doesn’t do it any favors—“Human: Fall Flat” is such a weird title. What does it mean? Why the colon? Is it part of a “Human” series? Why is it called that? And how did the game even get so popular in the first place? Is it just because it’s on sale often, or what? I feel like it can’t be word of mouth because you never hear anyone talk about it, and I don’t recall ever seeing the game promoted in, like, an Indie Showcase or anything either.
It's one of those games that enthusiast forums don't care about because it's not an enthusiast game. Not a major, established IP, not a "traditional" genre, not a visual showpiece, popularized by streamers enthusiast forums don't watch, etc

Pretty unsurprising list, including the lack of Metroid, but I'll be the first to admit I've never heard of Human: Fall Flat before this thread.

Pretty unsurprising list, including the lack of Metroid, but I'll be the first to admit I've never heard of Human: Fall Flat before this thread.
Human Fall Flat and other "ragdoll physics" games are immensely popular among young children. We have a Switch at out hospital for kids to play and games like Human Fall Flat, Gang Beasts, Octodad and T.A.B.S. are the top played games (Human is actually passed 100 hour mark). Funny ragdoll movements make little kids hysterically laugh, they absolutely love just watching it.

Capcom looks at this list and goes "Yeah I totally should invest more on new IP AAA games, that's totally what my fanbase wants".
Capcom’s AAA efforts have also been fantastic. I don’t want them to stop doing anything they are doing.

Where is Met... oh. lttp.

I do wish we get these lists more regularly and from all regions.

There's a pretty big generational divide between Classic MegaMan fans and Battle Network Fans. Essentially, if you grew up with a GBA, you probably were a huge MMBN fan over the classic games. It really was a unique spin on the subject.
Yup. I grew up with the gba megaman games. BN2 was my first gba game, and that preference extends to the star force games.
I went back to play older MM and outside of the Zero/Zx series, I really dont gel with them lol.

Wow at Battle Network, I'm shocked it's so high up. Amazing to see them rank so well though, those are some great games.

Judging by the Megaman Battle Network numbers, SE really screwed up with the FF pixel remasters. Imagine if the game released at the same time as the steam and mobile versions, was readily available physically, and the collection was $60 and wasn’t sold piecemeal. They could have made this collection a landmark game, that would have done way better.

if a C tier franchise ( sales wise)like Megaman can do these numbers for a spinoff collection, imagine what a FF title would do if square actually cared.

Capcom’s AAA efforts have also been fantastic. I don’t want them to stop doing anything they are doing.
If they had both AAA and small budget development going on at the same time, I'd also want that. But they don't. Their last mid budget/Switch release was MH Stories 2, released exactly 2 years ago. Right now they have nothing coming up in that category nor anything is rumored. Everything they have is AAA. All Switch is getting more overpriced ROM collections and mobile ports...

#PepsiChanSweep

Oof for Metroid Prime Remastered, though. Also Mario Kart 8 will continue to sell forever.
I never expected Prime Remastered to do well in Japan, so to not see it on this chart is not a shock to me.

Great to see Engage ranking well despite all of the dooming from people worried about its sales compared to Three Houses, though!

Human Fall Flat and other "ragdoll physics" games are immensely popular among young children. We have a Switch at out hospital for kids to play and games like Human Fall Flat, Gang Beasts, Octodad and T.A.B.S. are the top played games (Human is actually passed 100 hour mark). Funny ragdoll movements make little kids hysterically laugh, they absolutely love just watching it.
Yup.... Kids love this stuff hehe looking at my nearly 40 year old friends recommending the game and my 34ish ass considering it every time it goes on sale

As for popularity of the collections, while the west puts 3 (and 2 to a lesser extent) as the pinnacle, 5 was immensely popular in Japan and has a pretty big following here in the West. 5 was the first time (aside form Battle Chip Challenge which doesn't count) that you could play as other Navis. 5 got multiple remakes as well Japan-only so it's no surprise it did better than Vol 1.
it's not even generational. classic mega man just isn't that popular. looking on Game Data Library, the first classic Mega Man game is Mega Man 4 at #10 and 270K units

Back
Top Bottom