• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Nintendo has ABANDONED Towns

Towns in Scarlet & Violet beat the snot out of any of the 2D Pokemon's towns on local flair, showing how pokemon are integrated into people's life and making the gyms cultural landmarks.

A town is not the buildings or the grass or the fences but the people who live there. The people are the heart of the town.

Towns in Scarlet & Violet beat the snot out of any of the 2D Pokemon's towns on local flair, showing how pokemon are integrated into people's life and making the gyms cultural landmarks.
Pokemon towns have pretty much always sucked to be fair. Jubilife Village is among the better ones because it spends its time growing to be a character.

Got high expectations for Lumiose City because if this

even their NSO games, like F-Zero, have no towns
c'mon there's an entire city

maxresdefault.jpg

But that basically all they are, flair, setdressing, a backdrop.

It's not like I want eveey town to be a "character", you can't really do that when you have so many.
It's just there really wasn't much to do in any of them.
You have the same 3 stores you can find in almost any of them and then somw things related to the gym challenge.

I guess that town with the water gym leader had the most going for it with those elevators, some unique stores and the market nearby.

But outside of that landmarks are just things that you see from the outside like thw skyscrapers in Ionos town.

Atleast they added caves back even if they are a far cry from what they were before but even then they aren't really relevant to progressing through the game.

In old games we had secret underground facilities you had to explore, modern mainline Pokémon is just too scared of having anything resembling dungeons because people could be too fristrated from not being able to immediately leave.

What if Nintendo got the PS5 exclusive "ABANDONED" and released it on the Marty FM Towns computer ?
That would fix everything !

I'm confused.. Tears of the Kingdom has 5+ towns. That's about...the same as other Zelda games if not.. more. They also have more going on in them... lol

They're pretty comparable to anything you find in Windwaker/Ocarina/Twilight lol

Upcoming Paper Mario TTYD also has a bunch.

I seriously doubt Samus will be visiting societies in Metroid Prime 4 but you never know.
Nah Metroid and Metroid Prime is all about that isolation feeling I dont think towns in metroid would make sense. Metroid is a game that makes you feel isolated and alone on a alien planet that you feel like you dont belong on and thats the vibe I love so much.

But that basically all they are, flair, setdressing, a backdrop.

It's not like I want eveey town to be a "character", you can't really do that when you have so many.
It's just there really wasn't much to do in any of them.
You have the same 3 stores you can find in almost any of them and then somw things related to the gym challenge.

I guess that town with the water gym leader had the most going for it with those elevators, some unique stores and the market nearby.

But outside of that landmarks are just things that you see from the outside like thw skyscrapers in Ionos town.

That's basically all towns are in RPGs. A backdrop for quests and activities. Paldea towns are great backdrops with not much activities, except the gym challenges taking placing directly in them rather than seperate interiors. Other region towns are lesser backdrops with only marginally more activities on offer because Gym, Pokemon Center, PokeMart and one important NPC is what most Pokemon towns have been.

Counterargument: Waddle Dee Town

I actually do agree with the sentiment of the post even if its a joke, I always want towns.

I just remembered how good Gerudo Town is in BOTW and that 100% makes this thread sus

Edit: I just remembered Waddle Dee Town, wtf

Mario vs. Donkey Kong? No towns.

Princess Peach Showtime!? No towns.

Paper Mario TTYD? A town made of paper, so we can all agree that doesnt count.

Luigi's Mansion 2? Mansions aren't towns...

Nintendos 2024 lineup... a ghost town.
Another Code: Recollection has a very cozy camp/town setting!

Also, last year’s Detective Pikachu Returns has a fantastic town setting as well.

Damn, really? Been looking forward to that game since Game Freak first showed it in a Nintendo Direct.

Xenoblade 3 not having any towns outside The city makes alot of sense for its story. Its really not a flaw

And that Totk example is so disengenious im not even gonna engage it

Nah not really, as BotW/TotK have substantial towns.

Also I think you're exxagerting Outset Island/s qualities. The town is nice but Windfall is much better with better OST.

They will compensate it with having just one giant city in the next Pokémon game.

Xenoblade 3 not having any towns outside The city makes alot of sense for its story. Its really not a flaw
Would've been better if the Ferronises were constantly on the move, make it more dynamic to properly reflect the military component of the factions. Honestly, that would've completely offset the dryness of some of 3's localities for me, but, of cours course, it would've needed a different kind of game altogether.

Would've been better if the Ferronises were constantly on the move, make it more dynamic to properly reflect the military component of the factions. Honestly, that would've completely offset the dryness of some of 3's localities for me, but, of cours course, it would've needed a different kind of game altogether.
While neat in theory i have a feeling making your towns move would ve fustrating for the player in pratice lol

In case this thread needs more examples we also have New Donk City, what can be in my opinion a GOAT platformer world.

Getting there for the first time literally made my brain implode with joy.

Then there’s the festival of course.

Holy smokes, it’s so good.

play genshin impact if you want an overwhelming amount of towns.

there's like 30 rn

and they keep adding more...

Pokemon towns have pretty much always sucked to be fair. Jubilife Village is among the better ones because it spends its time growing to be a character.

Got high expectations for Lumiose City because if this
pokemon towns are glorified roadbumps that rely on player nostalgia to not just be 5 houses and a dream.

Back
Top Bottom