• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I just realized Magic: The Gathering is on that big Summer Games Fest logo sheet. I know it's probably for their online game, but I'd love to see Duels Of The Planeswalkers return for consoles, like, say, the Nintendo Switch.

I'm hoping they announce something for F-Zero 99 soon. I've ended up falling out of it thanks to other racing games, but also the fact that more variations on those 30 year old tracks are just that, variations, and getting a couple of cosmetics just isn't enough to keep me playing those same tracks over and over and over.
I'd love to see those entirely original tracks finally surface. Or the BSGP tracks. Or more selfishly, just rereleasing one of the F-Zero games I like more.

Been saying it for a while now but i think there might be a remake of this gem:

donkey-kong-64---button-fin-1560099410344.jpg

Being absent from NSO for this long has to mean something. I was saying the same thing for Mario RPG for years, and it got a remake out of know where .

I honestly don't think Nintendo's willing to remake any of the Rare games they own simply because I feel like they'd want at least some of the original creators to be involved with it in someway. You'll notice this all of the remakes we've gotten lately: Mario vs. DK was made by its original creators at NST, TTYD was made by its original creators at Intelligent Systems, Mario RPG had oversight from Square-Enix and was also made by a company that works closely with the latter, even Another Code, despite being made by a different company in the form of Arc System Works (as Cing bite the bullet a long time ago) had people involved who worked on the original games during their tenure at Cing.

It's very telling to me that the only times Rare DK games got remakes (DKC1 on GBC, DKC1-3 on GBA and Diddy Kong Racing DS)...they were created by Rare themselves, specifically their handheld teams that were still allowed to make games for Nintendo platforms. So personally unless Nintendo wants to hire Rare back to work on some of their stuff again (in the wake of Microsoft being on the verge of going third party lol) or dare I say, they wanna hire Playtonic to do it considering they have at least some of the people who worked on the original games, I feel like we're just gonna be waiting on NSO rom dumps for the leftover Rare stuff.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think Nintendo's willing to remake any of the Rare games they own simply because I feel like they'd want at least some of the original creators to be involved with it in someway. You'll notice this all of the remakes we've gotten lately: Mario vs. DK was made by its original creators at NST, TTYD was made by its original creators at Intelligent Systems, Mario RPG had oversight from Square-Enix and was also made by a company that works closely with the latter, even Another Code, despite being made by a different company in the form of Arc System Works (as Cing bite the bullet a long time ago) had people involved who worked on the original games during their tenure at Cing.

It's very telling to me that the only times Rare DK games got remakes (DKC1-3 on GBA and Diddy Kong Racing DS)...they were created by Rare themselves, specifically their handheld teams that were still allowed to make games for Nintendo platforms. So personally unless Nintendo wants to hire Rare back to work on some of their stuff again (in the wake of Microsoft being on the verge of going third party lol) or dare I say, they wanna hire Playtonic to do it considering they have at least some of the people who worked on the original games, I feel like we're just gonna be waiting on NSO rom dumps for the leftover Rare stuff.
I was about to mention Advance Wars Reboot Camp, but that has exactly 3 Intelligent Systems credits, one of which worked on both GBA games, and one of them which worked on Advance Wars 1.
That being said, I could see them reaching out to Playtonic, as that studio probably has quite a bit of Nintendo era Rare staff without having to work directly with an Xbox studio that's got it's hands full with Sea of Thieves and whatever is going on with Everwild.

honestly the wait isn't all the bad for me since TTYD comes out this week and I've never played it so it might as well be a brand-new game (only know the opening hours and final boss from YouTube back in like 2010) and cleaning out my backlog so i get to play something like the witcher 3 for the first time which made me realize i love big western RPG's like this, it's just most of them suck because they're made by Bethesda

I’m rewatching the last Direct out of boredom, and just had a hilarious thought:

Imagine if Pyoro’s true identity is the Nintendo Direct voiceover guy? Lmao

It’s unlikely but technically possible

I’m rewatching the last Direct out of boredom, and just had a hilarious thought:

Imagine if Pyoro’s true identity is the Nintendo Direct voiceover guy? Lmao

It’s unlikely but technically possible

Since life has already turned into a parody in recent years, I some how wouldn't even be surprised. Might get a subtle chuckle out of me though.

If Pyoro leaked this direct… i’ll be indifferent about it. Mainly with a new system on the horizon, just wanna know what i have to tide me over. Surprise or not.

I’m not sure why (may be misremembering) but I thought Kevin Afghani was a / the Nintendo Direct voiceover guy?

The thought of the new Mario also being the Bird™️ is …ironic I suppose?

I’m not sure why (may be misremembering) but I thought Kevin Afghani was a / the Nintendo Direct voiceover guy?

The thought of the new Mario also being the Bird™️ is …ironic I suppose?
Does anyone have a source for this? I haven’t heard that before, but it would probably decrease the chances of the VO guy being Pyoro lmao

Although the brand-new Mario VO secretly being a notorious Nintendo leaker would be the funniest scandal of all time

Does anyone have a source for this? I haven’t heard that before, but it would probably decrease the chances of the VO guy being Pyoro lmao

Although the brand-new Mario VO secretly being a notorious Nintendo leaker would be the funniest scandal of all time
Current Nintendo Direct English announcer is Mike Madeoy.

Holy cow pies, the new Nintendo Direct announcer is NOT Roger Craig Smith (Sonic) as I and I assume everyone else suspected, but rather Mike Madeoy, who some may recognize as the voice of Falco in Star Fox Assault! o_O

Oh, I didn't realize that Rune Factory 6 has already been announced. I was just shitposting. So yes, there is a strong possibility that Rune Factory will show up in the next Direct.
This direct already had potential but for me now I'm even more hyped

Just...... give us Metroid Prime 4.......... it'll be 7 years next month....... Just a crumb, a smidge, even!

In all seriousness, I have no real lofty expectations for this Direct outside of stuff that has been supposedly leaked beforehand. I'm pretty sure I've echoed this in the last thread, but I'm mostly expecting that Fire Emblem 4 remake and that alleged F-Zero GX port, maybe we finally see that EPD Donkey Kong game and that Mario Baseball game, too.

Pronounced as follows:

2modachi Life
Tomodach3 Life
Tomodachi Life: 4ever After
Since the first game is Tomodachi Collection is the first game and Tomodachi life is the second, shouldn't the subsequent games follow the same pattern? Something like this:

Tomodachi Collection
Tomodachi Life
Tomodachi Identity
Tomodachi Supremacy
Tomodachi Ultimatum

Then we get a reboot game simply called "Tomodachi Legacy" and it doesn't have Matt Damon. Matt Damon is the name of one of my Miis in the game lol

I also made another observation...

He may have been amogus as early as 2002:

Has to be him.

Geez, this takes me back. I remember getting really excited over this trailer.

That stretch of summer - fall of 2002 was a really great time to be a GameCube owner. Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Metroid Prime. I have really good memories of that time period and it was 22 years ago which horrifies me.

People:
video games are so damaging because they reinforce the most toxic and violent fantasies

Video games:
n5t0mXy.png
For certain people out there, coughpolititianscough, paying off your loans or worrying less about money on general would be considered unthinkable.

It kinda rules how TV/film actors just have no frame of reference for the weird secrecy that pervades the game industry and so sometimes they'll just say things they weren't supposed to
I was just thinking a little while ago about how weird it is that you have the film industries where projects are announced before they even begin production, sometimes even before they've been cast, and then you have video games where they're often so secretive that we don't even know they exist until the first trailer.

Like the MCU where they reveal the next dozen or so movies that'll be coming out over the next several years and who they'll be about and who all's in them. Compared to "where the fuck is Donkey Kong? And are they making another 3D Mario or what?"

Geez, this takes me back. I remember getting really excited over this trailer.

That stretch of summer - fall of 2002 was a really great time to be a GameCube owner. Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Metroid Prime. I have really good memories of that time period and it was 22 years ago which horrifies me.
I wasn't even born yet...

I was just thinking a little while ago about how weird it is that you have the film industries where projects are announced before they even begin production, sometimes even before they've been cast, and then you have video games where they're often so secretive that we don't even know they exist until the first trailer.

Like the MCU where they reveal the next dozen or so movies that'll be coming out over the next several years and who they'll be about and who all's in them. Compared to "where the fuck is Donkey Kong? And are they making another 3D Mario or what?"

I do think there's a middle ground to be found somewhere there

games definitely go way too far with the secrecy but I also can't count the amount of times i've heard about some sort of movie project that just ends up....never actually happening

I do think there's a middle ground to be found somewhere there

games definitely go way too far with the secrecy but I also can't count the amount of times i've heard about some sort of movie project that just ends up....never actually happening
I'd definitely like a middle ground.

I'm sure there are a ton of examples but the freshest one on my mind is: imagine if there were no announcements at all about Hugh Jackman being in Deadpool 3 and we found out from the trailer what was going down. Woulda been explosive.

But then on the other hand you have Rogue Squadron which was unveiled years ago and continues to disappoint me with its lack of existence.

It kinda rules how TV/film actors just have no frame of reference for the weird secrecy that pervades the game industry and so sometimes they'll just say things they weren't supposed to
On a similar note, it will never stop being funny how Jenna coleman, leaked xenoblade 3 by accident in an interview like "yeah I am in the third game, oops, can I say that?".
before we even had the chance to speculate that a xenoblade 3 was a thing.

On a similar note, it will never stop being funny how Jenna coleman, leaked xenoblade 3 by accident in an interview like "yeah I am in the third game, oops, can I say that?".
before we even had the chance to speculate that a xenoblade 3 was a thing.
What was even wilder was before that point people were assuming she might not even be returning for the extra content in DE because she had gotten the role in Doctor Who since XB1 and was officially Too Big for Nintendo to hire. Then not only was she back for DE but oops she said that there's a third one. 🤣

Still remember when Jenna Coleman leaked Xenoblade 3 months before it was revealed lol
My favourite example of this is Dan Southworth leaking DMC5 three years before it was announced, live at a panel where it took the crowd a second to realize what he said.

It's very telling to me that the only times Rare DK games got remakes (DKC1 on GBC, DKC1-3 on GBA and Diddy Kong Racing DS)...they were created by Rare themselves, specifically their handheld teams that were still allowed to make games for Nintendo platforms. So personally unless Nintendo wants to hire Rare back to work on some of their stuff again (in the wake of Microsoft being on the verge of going third party lol) or dare I say, they wanna hire Playtonic to do it considering they have at least some of the people who worked on the original games, I feel like we're just gonna be waiting on NSO rom dumps for the leftover Rare stuff.
I think it's just circumstances. MvDK series never lost their developer. Games just stopped being made for a while. Makes perfect sense for NST to do it, same goes for IS and TTYD. Square-Enix probably has say in Super Mario RPG. I think when they can easily get original developers/staff on board they do it, but it's not a requirement. Advance Wars Reboot was a different developer in Wayforward. Link's Awakening was by Grezzo. Samus Returns by MercurySteam.

Then there's also ports/remasters. Sometimes they're done by the original developers (Retro porting Tropical Freeze to Switch) and sometimes it's handed off to a different studio for most of the work (Monster Games porting Returns to 3DS). Wind Waker HD was mostly done internally while TP HD and SS HD were mostly by Tantalus Media.

Honestly the biggest reason I think there isn't a DK64 Remake in the works is Grant Kirkhope. He's still vocal to this day about not being credited for the DK Rap in the Mario Movie. Nintendo definitely would have had him on board yet he can discuss freely about DK and DK64 in particular. I feel like that shouldn't be the case if there was a DK64 project that existed.

I think it's just circumstances. MvDK series never lost their developer. Games just stopped being made for a while. Makes perfect sense for NST to do it, same goes for IS and TTYD. Square-Enix probably has say in Super Mario RPG. I think when they can easily get original developers/staff on board they do it, but it's not a requirement. Advance Wars Reboot was a different developer in Wayforward. Link's Awakening was by Grezzo. Samus Returns by MercurySteam.
It is worth pointing that Advance Wars had some staff from Intelligent Systems supervising it as JazzyFuture pointed above. Likewise Samus Returns had direct involvement from people who worked on prior 2D Metroid games like Sakamoto and Hosokawa. So in a way I'd say those games fit in within what I'm talking about.

Then there's also ports/remasters. Sometimes they're done by the original developers (Retro porting Tropical Freeze to Switch) and sometimes it's handed off to a different studio for most of the work (Monster Games porting Returns to 3DS). Wind Waker HD was mostly done internally while TP HD and SS HD were mostly by Tantalus Media.

Honestly the biggest reason I think there isn't a DK64 Remake in the works is Grant Kirkhope. He's still vocal to this day about not being credited for the DK Rap in the Mario Movie. Nintendo definitely would have had him on board yet he can discuss freely about DK and DK64 in particular. I feel like that shouldn't be the case if there was a DK64 project that existed.
It is worth pointing that Advance Wars had some staff from Intelligent Systems supervising it as JazzyFuture pointed above. Likewise Samus Returns had direct involvement from people who worked on prior 2D Metroid games like Sakamoto and Hosokawa. So in a way I'd say those games fit in within what I'm talking about.
Yeah, Dinoman is 100% correct. There's clear preference at Nintendo for re-releases to either be handled at their original team, or for original staff to oversee the project:
  • Advance Wars: supervised by Intelligent Systems
  • all Zelda remasters were produced by EPD3, the Zelda team, and had EPD staff attached
  • ditto for Samus Returns, which had the Metroid staff at EPD7 in charge

(To be clear: "produced" does not mean "developed" - it's the language used to indicate who is in overall control of a Nintendo-published project)

By and large, Nintendo tap the original staff or team in some capacity. As has already been established, that includes the Another Code remakes, where the original studio was defunct but senior staff from the games were at Arc System Works. Who would produce and take charge of that hypothetical remake is an important question, because it's the board of producers at EPD who decide who does what and which things get made. Right now there's no clear advocate for Donkey Kong 64 to get remade, not least because we don't really know who will be in charge of DK as a franchise. Zelda has a clear production structure and management group at Nintendo who remain in charge of Tantalus and Grezzo's work on the franchise; DK has no equivalent.

And, as I've also said, it's not just Donkey Kong 64 missing from NSO. A whole bunch of DK franchise titles haven't made it to NSO:

• Donkey Kong Junior Maths
  • Donkey Kong Land
  • Donkey Kong Land 2
  • Donkey Kong Land 3
  • Donkey Kong (1994)
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Diddy Kong Racing (seems fair game for NSO)
  • DK: King of Swing
  • Color and Advance ports of DKC

That's quite the list. Sure, a bunch are the handheld titles, but it's bizarre that after more than a year, not one handheld DK game has made it to NSO, yet Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid even Pokemon (in the case of GB) are represented in the handheld selection on NSO. Some of those DK titles missing wouldn't be all that odd, but all of the possible handheld titles not showing up yet really is strange.

I think we might get a big DK NSO update, perhaps timed around the theme park opening. Maybe Rare's titles from the franchise: the DK land trilogy for the base tier, DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing for the Expansion Pack.

Last edited:
Completely off-topic, but recent RE9 rumors have once again reminded me how disappointing it is that there wasn't a single RE game made for Switch - it's the first (successful) Nintendo console to not receive one.
They really wasted time and resources in those shitty multiplayer modes for Village and 3 remake, but couldn't be bothered to even try some spin-off or something on Switch. I'm not even talking about exclusive, put it on everything if you think the audience isn't there.

Talking about Rare era games remakes, it always surprised me that with excellent success of both Crash and 3D Mario games in 2017, Microsoft didn't respond by green lighting a Banjo duology remake for XBOne/Series. It could have been released around 2021/22 and with recent third party strategy, it would be ported (or in process) now to Switch 1/2 and PS4/5.

In all seriousness, I have no real lofty expectations for this Direct outside of stuff that has been supposedly leaked beforehand. I'm pretty sure I've echoed this in the last thread, but I'm mostly expecting that Fire Emblem 4 remake and that alleged F-Zero GX port, maybe we finally see that EPD Donkey Kong game and that Mario Baseball game, too.
Agree. If people really expect Metroid, DK, Fire Emblem, FZero, Mario Sports and some additional surprise on top of that to be show in the next direct and launch before xmas, this is a setup for disappointment.
There is for sure a chance that all these games come to Switch 1, but I heavily doubt all of them before xmas. And in that case also Switch 2 should not be expected in spring.

Talking about Rare era games remakes, it always surprised me that with excellent success of both Crash and 3D Mario games in 2017, Microsoft didn't respond by green lighting a Banjo duology remake for XBOne/Series. It could have been released around 2021/22 and with recent third party strategy, it would be ported (or in process) now to Switch 1/2 and PS4/5.
It would have been somewhat redundant with the XBLA remasters. Those look and play perfectly fine so I am not sure remakes would have had a lot of added value (though it would be nice if they were no longer stuck on Xbox hardware).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom