• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

NSO Nintendo decides to explicitly say "fuck you" to NSO subscribers (FIFA Legacy Edition Latest NSO Trial)

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him

• EA Sports made FIFA 18 for the Nintendo Switch in 2017. At the time it was a feature incomplete version of the game, but generally accepted as a good first version that the next one would be able to deliver on
  • Next year's version saw no feature updates, but did see FIFA World Cup DLC support
  • Two years later, EA branded the Switch version "Legacy Edition" formally stopping any active feature development on the platform, and simply adding a roster update to last year's version, and then reselling it for $40
  • They have even doing this since the 2021 version (meaning this is the third edit: fourth, apparently straight version of an already at launch outdated game that has been re-released and sold for $40 with no updates except the roster updates). This version of the game is so bad, IGN has literally been reusing its reviews from the previous year's version of the game with the same score for the last couple of years.
  • Given that, I find the decision to offer a game this horrifically bad as a free trial amusing
/mod edit- added PT’s context from post #4 - PixelKnight

55a24741-cc66-4a23-84db-f3616b04833a_text.gif

I don't get it. Just another game trial to me. I think I need context.
  • EA Sports made FIFA 18 for the Nintendo Switch in 2017. At the time it was a feature incomplete version of the game, but generally accepted as a good first version that the next one would be able to deliver on
  • Next year's version saw no feature updates, but did see FIFA World Cup DLC support
  • Two years later, EA branded the Switch version "Legacy Edition" formally stopping any active feature development on the platform, and simply adding a roster update to last year's version, and then reselling it for $40
  • They have even doing this since the 2021 version (meaning this is the third edit: fourth, apparently straight version of an already at launch outdated game that has been re-released and sold for $40 with no updates except the roster updates). This version of the game is so bad, IGN has literally been reusing its reviews from the previous year's version of the game with the same score for the last couple of years.
  • Given that, I find the decision to offer a game this horrifically bad as a free trial amusing

Fair enough.

I don't get it. EA probably got paid for this, but i see it does well enough, so it's probably one of those things where they target certain uers
It's sad. but it's a limited time trial. Whatever.

I don't get it. EA probably got paid for this, but i see it does well enough, so it's probably one of those things where they target certain uers
It's sad. but it's a limited time trial. Whatever.
People are paying for this as part of the subscription. I can imagine that people are not happy about one of the trials being the lowest of efforts games on the system outside of shovelware.

Yeah I got an email for this and while I feel dissapointed my nephew was already playing it with his friends, and I'm pretty sure he is going to ask my brother to buy it once the demo expires. As @Dekuman mentions, demos are for different targets and I'm guessing it's EA pushing this one

Well this is the last EA fifa game on switch and since EA and Fifa broke up... I doubt we'll see their new game EA Football FC on switch since whole point of Fifa legacy edition was to have it on many platforms as possible due to Fifa' contract which EA doesn't have to follow anymore.

People are paying for this as part of the subscription. I can imagine that people are not happy about one of the trials being the lowest of efforts games on the system outside of shovelware.
Yup. I actually enjoy these trials because they are usually a great excuse to try out games I otherwise may never have. I have no issues with any genre being highlighted for these trials, in fact I always prefer it when it’s a game I wasn’t otherwise interested in. But this is just a case of a slot going to a terrible, bad game that has little to no redeeming qualities. If they wanted to do a sports game, NBA or MLB were much better options, and if it had to be soccer, I think Football Manager would have been the way to go.

But FIFA has the brand recognition so here we are.

then amend your title, because it's irrelevant and clickbaity. "Nintendo is explicitly saying fuck you to NSO subscribers", come on
No no, the original title was clickbait. This title, which I amended the topic title to within like 15 seconds of posting to make it clear what I’m talking about, is a concession to at least make the framing of the topic clear :p

Well because it is so low effort I would never pay for it but if it's part of the NSO offer then that's a perfect opportunity. If it comes to Europe...

I don't care about FIFA games

But I'll be damn sure to download it, run it for a couple minutes, archive it so I keep the icon in my NSO Game Trial group and keep the extra platinum points!

Last edited:
If you don't want something, just don't download it. Shit, I'm already 'forced' to pay for the virtual console replacement service when I think I've booted it something like, 3 times, and only played one game on it in earnest, maybe I'll go making a daft pessimistic thread every single time one of those gets updated. Evidently a bunch of people are fine with the FIFA games as is.

Thread title reminds me of that time when Epic offered Axiom Verge for free and this one user got so upset that it was Axiom Verge and not something else.
Pretty sure he said fuck you to Epic

Well because it is so low effort I would never pay for it but if it's part of the NSO offer then that's a perfect opportunity. If it comes to Europe...

It's been availible in Europe since the 20th I believe.. so it's up for another few days.

I mean, there’s all manner of stuff I’ve got zero interest in that I’m technically paying for as part of the service, some of which I think are pretty poor games. FIFA’s legacy editions are comparatively terrible but then I think the ’main’ games are with all their microtransactions too. I’ll just ignore it the same way I ignore most of what the service offers for the £1.50 a month, including tons of legacy Nintendo titles. Same goes for pretty much any subscription service really. Without this thread I wouldn’t have even noticed they were running a trial, let alone one of a bad game, it’s just marketing activity on a system with thousands of games. Can’t say free trials of games I’m not interested in bother me any more than retro games on the service that I think are poor or even trials of their bigger titles that I don’t care for. I suspect there’s a lot more people interested in even a shit football game than some of the other stuff on there.

The issue seems to be FIFA legacy edition itself, which is very much deserving of all the criticism it gets as a cynical release year after year, rather than a timed demo on NSO.

Last edited:
You're being melodramatic.

NSO is always going to be a bad value, you pay it because it's a tax you feel like paying to Nintendo. Maybe the vouchers are ok. The emulators aren't great. The free game trials are easy to ignore. They barely register as events, since renting a game is stupid when you can just wait for a fire sale, or when you feel like buying it. You get no real value from NSO that's not just a tax. And taxes are always going to feel like a cheat. Especially when you're paying them to a game publisher in Kyoto.

EA will always try to cheat you, because lots and lots of people's favorite thing is to be cheated. It's tremendously profitable. Cheating people is fun. It's fun to think about cheating people. Being cheated is what everyone who buys FIFA on playstation loves the most, and that's most people with playstations. That's a lot of people! Actual millions. It's what everyone who plays mobile games loves. That's even more people. They love it more than life, their children, than sex or food. People love being cheated.

You're yelling at the clouds, OP.

Lol what
It is a low effort, still d'un game and the only option available to play Football on the console

And it was even offered basically as a DLC to Fifa22 owners

What is it worst: FIFA legacy or No-Pes?

I wouldn't buy it but since it is a free trial I downloaded and played it. As a football fan, this is the only option on Switch.

It also remains one of the most successful games in Europe on Switch, selling over 250k on Switch alone in France in 2022, so it is unironically a pretty big get.

Unfounded nerd rage.

Yeah, it’s a low effort title but then doesn’t that make it a good thing that people can try it for free rather than potentially waste money on it?

Delists Fire Emblem and Mario games: Ah well, it sucks but what can you do? It was just to celebrate their anniversary.

Increases price for Tears of the Kingdom in North America: Really dumb but eh, Zelda is totally worth it. You know you're still going to buy it.

Lets you play a bad soccer game for free: GO TO HELL NINTENDO!

The reaction of this thread is total nonsense lmao. It’s literally a free game trial.

If the argument is that people on this thread think FIFA is shit so it must be a “fuck you” then I have news for you - not every single game on a subscription service is gonna appeal to you. I don’t give a fuck about Animal Crossing, yet I still pay for the expansion pass. Wonder what Nintendo must think about players like me. :unsure:

Still plan to get a few matches in out of this free trial even though I know it’s a lazy version of the game because sure why not? I am part of the audience that FIFA games appeal to, even though I don’t really buy them anymore I still find them fun to dip into casually every now and then. What is wrong with that?

It's just a trial. Trials are random and rare, it's the weakest of NSO benefits, I never thought anyone cares that much about them. so far I mostly download the trials for the 50-100 platinum points mission.

Delists Fire Emblem and Mario games: Ah well, it sucks but what can you do? It was just to celebrate their anniversary.

Increases price for Tears of the Kingdom in North America: Really dumb but eh, Zelda is totally worth it. You know you're still going to buy it.

Lets you play a bad soccer game for free: GO TO HELL NINTENDO!
ROFL.

Btw the biggest fuck you to NSO players, was Mario 35. That game was so good. I expected it to return later but no. Guess we now wait for Mario 40th anniversary in two years... maybe..

@Phantom Thief

I added your notes from post #4 to the OP so the context is there for people joining the thread, as otherwise it’s not initially clear what you’re getting at.

Last edited:
I mean, it's not like EA is hiding what this game is. First of all, it's cheaper. And it's even in the name "legacy edition", we just know what we buy with this game.

And I just don't get why people would be upset by a game trial: it's free, And you get 100 platinum points.

Trials are random and rare

Not really, there are trials every months.

Btw NSO is great.

Last edited:
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FIFA17 for the system, nor will they purchase any of Nintendos games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel the Fifa Trial for NSO or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Btw the biggest fuck you to NSO players, was Mario 35. That game was so good. I expected it to return later but no. Guess we now wait for Mario 40th anniversary in two years... maybe..
For Mario’s 40th anniversary you’ll be able to purchase Mario Galaxy 2 full-price for 4 weeks, it will be de-listed and deactivated for playing afterwards. Happy Mar10 day

I definitely had an amused laugh when I got the email announcing this. I get it’s the only game in town but there is definitely a bit of “but why?” to the whole thing.

The legacy editions of FIFA are bad, but a lot of people are seeing value in them, though (FIFA 23 sold more copies on Switch than on PS5 on a lot of markets), so I don't know if the game trial is such a "fuck you" in the face. Especially since there's a discount on the actual game, and it's still the best way to play football on the Switch.

Horrificaly Bad is way too much exaggeration.
Is the game the same thing as 2019? Yes
Does it deserve to be criticized? Yes
Is the game itself bad? No
It's an ok version of FIFA, it lacks content parity with other platforms but for most of the public it's ok.

Back
Top Bottom