• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Nintendo Composers Who AREN'T Koji Kondo

N75

Like Like
I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable on this subject, but I was partially inspired by this thread to make one about some of Nintendo's internal composers.

photo1.jpg

So we all know Koji Kondo. He's probably the most renowned video game composer of all time, working on the first seven Super Mario console titles (if you count Yoshi's Island), most of the Zelda titles up to Majora's Mask, and more obscure titles like Shin Onigashima. But around the turn of the millennium, he would be placed in a more managerial position, with his last significant contribution for years being Super Mario Sunshine, composing for the first half of the levels in that game. Though he has made a bit of a resurgence in recent years, being the music lead for both Super Mario Maker games, as well as contributing to Super Mario Odyssey.

But I wanted to focus more on the other composers at the company, most of whom are overlooked. I'll be leaving out Kenji Yamamoto and Kazumi Totaka, as I feel those two are pretty well known. I'll also be excluding former Nintendo composers (Soyo Oka, Hirokazu Tanaka etc.). Maybe in a future thread?

Kenta Nagata
photo3.jpg

Joining the company in 1996, his first major project was composing the soundtrack for Mario Kart 64. Nagata would continue to be involved with the series, working on Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Mario Kart 7, and Mario Kart 8. He was also the highest-credited composer for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. While we never got an OST release with full composer credits, we know that he was responsible for iconic themes such as The Great Sea and Dragon Roost Island. He's also worked on the New Super Mario Bros. series, specifically NSMB Wii and NSMB2. I know the NSMB games don't exactly have the best reputation when it comes to music, but I feel like the sound direction is extremely safe and no composer's ability should be judged by them. Other contributions include 1080° Snowboarding, Pokemon Stadium 0 (the original Japanese release), Pokemon Stadium 1 (the first western release), and the original Animal Crossing.

Notable tracks:

Hajime Wakai
photo002.jpg

Joining around the same time as Nagata, Hajime Wakai's first major title would be Star Fox 64, where he would compose all of the level themes. The most famous of these is Area 6, for which he also made two new arrangements of in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He was also the primary composer for the first two Pikmin games, while also contributing to The Wind Waker. He would later become instrumental to the Zelda series, becoming the sound director and lead composer for Skyward Sword, composing Ballad of the Goddess (though the final arrangement was done by Takeshi Hama). He would also be the sound director for Breath of the Wild, being responsible for its more ambient, piano-centric soundtrack. Wakai made a small contribution to F-Zero X, though the majority of the music was done by Taro Bando (who is still at Nintendo, but at some point the sound engineers were split from the dedicated musicians and Bando was in the former, so he no longer composes for games). Other games he worked on include Pokemon Stadium 1/2, Nintendogs, and New Super Mario Bros.

Notable tracks:

Toru Minegishi
18.jpg

Minegishi's first title would be Pokemon Stadium 0, which released the same year he joined Nintendo in 1998. After working on the sequel, he moved onto other projects like Majora's Mask, where he would compose the battle themes (except for the final boss), and Animal Crossing, where he worked on the K.K. Slider tunes. Like Nagata and Wakai, he also worked on The Wind Waker, being in charge of the cutscene music. He would later be the music lead for Twilight Princess, being responsible for the popular Midna's Lament. His first role in a mainline Mario game would be Super Mario 3D World. Again, the OST never had specific composer credits (Nintendo were really hit and miss with this until recent years), but the in-game file names indicate that he composed tracks such as Hisstocrat, Bowser's Highway Showdown, and WORLD Bowser. Minegishi is better known nowadays for being the sound director and primary composer for the Splatoon series, known for it's pretty unique style. Other games include The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks, Wii Fit, Super Mario Maker 2, and the GameCube startup theme.

Notable tracks:

Shinobu Nagata
Shinobu%20Nagata%20Cropped.jpg

Joining Nintendo in 2000, Nagata's first two games would be the original Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing, both titles where Kazumi Totaka was in charge of the sound. We know she composed for the "Event BGM" for AC, which includes the Christmas and Happy New Year themes. Her next title would be Super Mario Sunshine, where she composed for the second half of the game's levels, which is very noticeable if you compare them to Kondo's music. She would then move on to the Mario Kart series, helping on Double Dash!! with Nagata, and composing the entirety of Mario Kart DS. Eventually, she would be moved from EAD to SPD, working on more experimental titles like Brain Age Express and Kiki Trick (which never released in the west). After both departments were merged into EPD, she would return to Animal Crossing with the Welcome amiibo expansion for New Leaf and New Horizons, though for the latter she's only credited for two tracks. I've heard that there may be some tracks missing from the OST, as another composer has no tracks credited to them at all.

Notable tracks:

Mahito Yokota
photo2.jpg

Probably the most well known composer at Nintendo behind Kondo, Yamamoto, and Totaka, and for good reason. First joining Koei, working on games like the Kessen series and Dynasty Warriors 4, he would move to Nintendo's newly formed Tokyo office in 2004 and worked on their first game, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. As the next Tokyo studio title would be Super Mario Galaxy, Yokota would naturally be the lead composer. However, it didn't exactly start well for him, with Kondo rejecting all of his initial work and telling him "Mario is cool, not cute". Despite Yokota being knowledgeable in orchestrated music, the game's sound direction was ultimately decided by Miyamoto, choosing the Egg Planet theme (which was composed by Kondo) as a basis. Yokota composed the vast majority of the music for both Galaxy games, including Gusty Garden Galaxy and Bowser's Galaxy Generator. His role in Super Mario 3D Land was downsized, as he was busy at the time working on the cinematic cutscene music for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, as well as implementing the original Ocarina of Time music into the 3DS remake. He would return as the lead composer for Super Mario 3D World, being behind such themes as Super Bell Hill and Double Cherry Pass. He was also responsible for the orchestral piece that plays during the E3 2005 trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. As of now, his last composing role was Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, which he worked on with Naoto Kubo. It seems like he might have moved into a management position similar to Kondo, with Kubo taking over as the music lead for EPD Tokyo's games.

Notable tracks (yes I know I went overboard here lol):

Asuka Hayazaki
Asuka%20Hayazaki

Joining in 2003, Hayazaki's first main projects would be The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures and Yoshi's Touch & Go. She would then go on to be the main composer for the first New Super Mario Bros. game. It's speculated that what eventually became Battle Theme 2 was originally meant to be the main Ground theme for the game, as it can be heard in the E3 2005 trailer. In the end, Kondo redid the theme himself, due to someone telling him that it "didn't quite sound like Mario music". She next worked on Twilight Princess with Minegishi, though the only confirmed track from her is the new arrangement of Zelda's Theme. Mario Kart Wii's soundtrack was led by her as well, working on the game's Rainbow Road. In later years, she's worked on Wii Fit Plus, Spirit Tracks, Nintendogs + Cats, Super Mario 3D Land, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon 2, and Ring Fit Adventure.

Notable tracks:

Ryo Nagamatsu
photo3.jpg

Joining in 2006, Nagamatsu would assist Shinobu Nagata with Wii Play which released later that year. He would go on to co-compose Mario Kart Wii with Hayazaki, and would later return to the series with Mario Kart 8, being responsible for themes like Mount Wario and Mute City. He would join Yokota and Kondo to work on the soundtrack to Super Mario Galaxy 2, with tracks such as Puzzle Plank Galaxy and Melty Monster Galaxy. Most fans best know him for his work on later Zelda titles, composing/arranging the entirety of A Link Between Worlds, Tri Force Heroes, and the Link's Awakening remake. Some of his other recent work has been for Splatoon 2 and Octo Expansion, where he primarily worked on the Salmon Run and single player tracks. Other titles include Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Nintendo Land.

Notable tracks:

Manaka Kataoka
wPK5d2D.png

Despite being at Nintendo since 2006, Kataoka hasn't worked on many games. The ones she does work on tend to have pretty long development cycles. She's best known for being the main composer for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, handling the majority of the field themes, along with some of the battle and cutscene music. But this wasn't her first Zelda game, previously working on Spirit Tracks as well. Her other major contribution has been to the Animal Crossing series, being the main composer for both City Folk and New Leaf.

Notable tracks:

Shiho Fujii
photo5.jpg

Joining in 2007, Fujii has been involved in a number of Mario titles, with two major ones being Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Odyssey. For the former she composed various tracks such as Shy Guy Falls, Electrodrome, and Rainbow Road. For Odyssey, she composed most of the more laid-back level themes. For the first Splatoon, she composed all of the tracks performed in-game by the Squid Sisters, including Calamari Inkantation. She had a much smaller role for the sequel due to working on Odyssey, only composing the end credits theme, for the base game and two extra songs post-release. She has also worked on New Super Mario Bros Wii/U, Skyward Sword, and most recently Ring Fit Adventure.

Notable tracks:

Atsuko Asahi
Atsuko%20Asahi%20Cropped.jpg

We've gotten to the composers that joined in the 2010's, so the number of games they've worked on is pretty low. But these last three have already made a huge mark and are some of Nintendo's best, in my opinion. Asahi joined in 2010, first working on the often forgotten 3DS launch title, Steel Diver. After working on other projects like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Pikmin 3, she would go on to compose many of the most popular tracks in Mario Kart 8. These include Sunshine Airport, Dolphin Shoals, and Cloudtop Cruise, among others. After this, she would go on to be the main composer for ARMS, as well as assisting on Super Mario Maker 2.

Notable tracks:

Yasuaki Iwata
L2Fiayp.png

Iwata only joined the company in 2013, but has worked on four major titles already. The first was Super Mario 3D World, though we have no confirmation on his tracks. We do for Mario Kart 8, where he primarily worked on the retro tracks. His biggest contribution would be to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, where he would compose the majority of the town themes, boss battle themes, and all of the champions' themes. He would then assist Asahi on ARMS, before becoming the main composer for Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Notable tracks:

Naoto Kubo
Kubo%20Naoto

Kubo joined Nintendo's Tokyo office in 2013, effectively replacing Takeshi Hama, who had only been a temporary contract employee and left the year prior. His first project would be Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, but the game contained many arrangements of tracks from Super Mario 3D World, so it was difficult to get an idea of his ability. He would also contribute to Super Mario Maker. Even though it's thought that Kondo did the vast majority of the soundtrack, it's also believed that Kubo composed the Airship (Super Mario Bros.) theme, as a part of it would go on to be used as a recurring piece in his next game. As mentioned above. Yokota apparently stepped back from being the main composer for EPD Tokyo. In fact, he didn't compose anything for Super Mario Odyssey at all, leaving it to Kubo. As the music lead, Kubo was responsible for the majority of the soundtrack, which naturally includes many of the standouts. Fossil Falls, New Donk City, and the two vocal themes; Jump Up, Super Star! and Break Free (Lead the Way). It would be a shame if Yokota was just a supervisor from now on, but even if he is, I think the music for future 3D Mario games is in good hands.

Notable tracks:

Thanks for reading. There are still more composers that I didn't touch on. Mainly because I'm not really familiar with most of their work (primarily on the SPD side) or they haven't been there long enough to give much of a summary. It doesn't help that most Nintendo games never receive an OST release, with the ones that do usually not having individual composer credits.

Sources/Images: Iwata Asks, Kyoto Report, Nintendo Wiki, and VGMdb.

Last edited:
Shiho Fujii giving us Electrodrome and Calamari Inkantation, thank you queen.

Lovely thread, thank you. I do wish Nintendo would give more of their games OST releases and ideally put them on a streaming service, and in general I'd like to see more people recognise the great work music and sound teams do to create some of the most vividly memorable aspects of games.

I'd also love to know who is responsible for some of the system menu music over the years if anyone knows. The System Settings music from the 3DS was extremely good.

Very good thread.
Threads like these to better know the insides of Nintendo and the people who are part of Nintendo beyond the best-known faces are great.

Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano would deserve being mentioned here even if their only contribution was Super Metroid's soundtrack. They've done a lot of good stuff besides that though!

Excellent OP, thank you for making this thread! Will have to read the bios later.

(Should the thread title call out this isn’t highlighting Totaka or Tanaka?)

Yes! Nintendo has such a great team of composers, thank you for shedding some more light on them.

Wait - Kondo didn’t do the Galaxy games?

Damn, my entire life I had attributed those to him
He did a few tracks, but Yokota was definitely the main composer.

I'm surprised to see that Yokota doesn't seem to compose much anymore.

Kazumi Totaka would be the first one to come to my mind after Kondo. He’s most famous for being the inspiration behind KK Slider and hiding the “Totaka’s Song” Easter egg in the games he has worked on.

An amazingly comprehensive OP, and it makes me realize for the first that time that Nintendo has the luxury of drafting any of these composers for a new project depending on availability. Speaks to their consistency of quality.

Who the OG that did Wii Sports, though

Quoted by: N75
Cool bit of trivia to learn that "Toru Minegishi" is the alias Pearl uses for her songwriter credits.

Shiho Fujii giving us Electrodrome and Calamari Inkantation, thank you queen.

Listening to those two songs back to back, everything makes sense.

Great thread OP, I myself have been interested in the people behind videogame music for a while, especially from Nintendo.

I don't know if they count, since they've been part of HAL Laboratories, but shoutouts to the legendary duo of Jun Ishikawa and Hirokazu Ando that has basically helmed the Kirby series since its very beginning, their track record and sheer consistency is something to behold.

DzalW0kWwAAQSrh

Both can be seen here: from left to right, Jun Ishikawa, Shinya Kumazaki (current Kirby General Director), Hirokazu Ando, and Yuuta Ogasawara (recent music hire).

While I'm at it, also shoutouts to Shogo Sakai, famous for composing for Super Smash Bros Melee, Mother 3 and (personal favourites of mine) Kirby Mass Attack and Part Time UFO.

989-1243635822.jpg

As for the pantheon of composers included in the OP, Ryo Nagamatsu is the absolute favourite of mine: not only did he do an outstanding job on ALBW's OST, but he also SINGLE-HANDEDLY composed for Nintendo Land, which is a miracle of an achievement if you ask me.

And you can read more about that here:

Last edited:
Lovely thread, thank you. I do wish Nintendo would give more of their games OST releases and ideally put them on a streaming service, and in general I'd like to see more people recognise the great work music and sound teams do to create some of the most vividly memorable aspects of games.
We finally got credits with the Link's Awakening OST last year and Skyward Sword HD is getting one next month, so here's hoping they continue.
Wait - Kondo didn’t do the Galaxy games?

Damn, my entire life I had attributed those to him
He did the Comet Observatory and Egg Planet (Good Egg Galaxy) themes for Galaxy 1, and the Starship Mario and Yoshi Star Galaxy themes for Galaxy 2.

Who the OG that did Wii Sports, though
I believe that was Kazumi Totaka.

Joining in 2006, Nagamatsu would assist Shinobu Nagata with Wii Play which released later that year. He would go on to co-compose Mario Kart Wii with Hayazaki, and would later return to the series with Mario Kart 8, being responsible for themes like Mount Wario and Mute City. He would join Yokota and Kondo to work on the soundtrack to Super Mario Galaxy 2, with tracks such as Puzzle Plank Galaxy and Melty Monster Galaxy. Most fans best know him for his work on later Zelda titles, composing/arranging the entirety of A Link Between Worlds, Tri Force Heroes, and the Link's Awakening remake. Some of his other recent work has been for Splatoon 2 and Octo Expansion, where he primarily worked on the Salmon Run and single player tracks. Other titles include Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Nintendo Land.
well well well, it would appear that this guy is based

Oh shit, I had no idea Nagata was the composer of Waluigi Pinball. That track slaps!

I looked up the heroes who composed Kid Icarus: Uprising, but found out not even one of them works at Nintendo.

Quoted by: N75
Hajime Wakai is top tier at Nintendo. His work on the Pokémon Stadium series (ESPECIALLY 2) is some of my fav music of all time.

This track is god tier, and it's the first battle theme you'll likely hear as it's the Poke Cup theme:

I looked up the heroes who composed Kid Icarus: Uprising, but found out not even one of them works at Nintendo.
Yeah, Uprising was handled by Sakurai and most of the composers were already well known.

Hamano did Link's Awakening! Tal Tal Heights and Ballad of the Wind Fish are all timers
I had forgotten that Hamano was involved with Link’s Awakening, but I just looked it up and Tal Tal Heights was done by Kozue Ishikawa, who also worked on the original Wario Land games.

had forgotten that Hamano was involved with Link’s Awakening, but I just looked it up and Tal Tal Heights was done by Kozue Ishikawa, who also worked on the original Wario Land games.
D'oh

The Wario Land games also had great soundtracks too, now you mention them

Great post! Love Hajime Wakai's work on the first two Pikmin games. The Forest Navel from the original gets stuck in my head a lot.

Ryo Nagamatsu's work on the Link's Awakening remake was incredible. His arrangement of the Face Shrine dungeon blew me away when I first heard it.

Manaka Kataoka gets that special shout out to me. She is incredible and don’t care what anyone says, the music to BoTW is just excellent.

I bought the live concert cas which comes with a Blu-ray of the concert, and watching it live is incredible.

If there's one thing I think that is missing from the list of Nintendo composers a resident "rock/metal/progressive rock" composer.

Probably why metal versions of songs are quite popular in fan arranges.

@N75

Wakai composed for Pikmin 3, though was third credited.

Minegishi apparently worked on the cutscene music for Wind Waker.

IMO, your use of the Japanese Pokémon Stadium numbering is confusing - most people here will only be familiar with the 2 western releases.

Also, I find it curious that, despite the thread title, you DID give a brief profile on Kondo, but then decided to exclude Yamamoto and Totaka. I was personally looking forward to a Totaka writeup because I've been on a Wave Race 64 kick lately.

Yasuaki Iwata is going to become a legendary composer for Nintendo. His work on BotW is exceptional.

He composed the best track, Vah Ruta Entry Battle. 🙂

Shoutouts to the Intelligent Systems composers, particularly longtime Fire Emblem composer and Paper Mario 64 lead Yuka Tsujiyoko! 😎

And, of course, Game Freak's Junichi Masuda, the sole composer of Pokémon Red & Blue, and Go Ichinose, who assisted him on Pokémon Gold & Silver:

Last edited:
Koji Kondo 1983
Kenji Yamamoto 1986
Minako Hamano 1991
Kazumi Totaka 1992
Masaru Tajima 1995
Masami Yone 1996
Kenta Nagata 1996
Hajime Wakai 1996
Toru Minegishi 1997
Shinobu Nagata 2000
Mahito Yokota 2003
Asuka Hayazaki 2003
Toshiyuki Sudo 2004
Ryo Nagamatsu 2006
Shiho Fujii 2007
Manaka Kataoka 2007
Shinji Ushiroda 2008
Megumi Inoue 2008
Daisuke Matsuoka 2009
Atsuko Asahi 2010
Yasuaki Iwata 2013
Naoto Kubo 2014
Yumi Takahashi 2014
Maasa Miyoshi 2016
Soshi Abe 2017
Sayako Doi 2019
Masato Ohashi 2020

Last edited:
A few people have brought it up now, so should I update the title? Something like “Some of Nintendo’s lesser known composers”?

Wakai composed for Pikmin 3, though was third credited.

Minegishi apparently worked on the cutscene music for Wind Waker.

IMO, your use of the Japanese Pokémon Stadium numbering is confusing - most people here will only be familiar with the 2 western releases.

Also, I find it curious that, despite the thread title, you DID give a brief profile on Kondo, but then decided to exclude Yamamoto and Totaka. I was personally looking forward to a Totaka writeup because I've been on a Wave Race 64 kick lately.
Thanks for the Minegishi update.

The Kondo part was just to set things up, but the summary was originally shorter. Though given his pedigree, I could’ve gone on for much longer.

I’ve updated the post about the Pokemon Stadium issue.

Great to see so many female composers inside Nintendo.

Discarding NSMB series, all the remaining games have amazing OSTs.

Orchestrated themes in Mario Galaxy are glorious, as well as the 3D Land/World and Odyssey, something totally different from what we had seen in Mario games before Wii. Sorry for Kondo, but I prefer other composers' work than his.

Excellent post.

Yasuaki Iwata is going to become a legendary composer for Nintendo. His work on BotW is exceptional.

Heisenberg "you're goddammit right" gif

I also adore Kataoka's work too. Sheikh Tower is sublime.

Funny that the last mario soundtrack was by a Metroid composer and the last Metroid by Mario/Zelda Composers,after the 2015 reistructure its all the same group now

Nothing on Kenji Yamamoto, who is a god tier Metroid soundtracks? Speaking of Metroid, I know you said no former employees, but I really feel it does a massive disservice to Hirokazu (Hip) Tanaka, who was absolutely pivotal to many catchy melodies for the Famicom/NES. Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Duck Hunt... these are still popular themes today, iterated on by several of the people you listed He may not be employed by Nintendo today, but his themes are still popular.

Another honorable mention for a former employee would be Hajime Hirasawa, who was the composer of Star Fox (and an obscure Famicom Disk System game called Time Twist). I doubt anyone on this board hasn't heard his Corneria theme at some point in their lives. He quit Nintendo over a reported dispute over releasing an arranged album of his soundtrack, but he came back to make remixes of his music for Smash.

540465-off-the-hook-concert-2019.jpg

%E3%82%B9%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%83%88%E3%82%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B32-%E3%83%8F%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%96-kyoto-mix-day1-nintendo-live-2019-1-53-screenshot-1200x675.jpg

OP you forgot the greats, KK Slider and Off the Hook!
You can go further back, actually.

Paper Mario featured a "pop diva" who actually does sing at one point.

PM_Chanterelle_Sprite.png

and before that, there was an officially licensed album made in 1991 (White Knuckle Scorin') that featured a track sung by Bowser, nowadays most people probably recognize it from the unofficial flash music video.

hopefully Jack Black sings this in the Mario movie!

Nothing on Kenji Yamamoto, who is a god tier Metroid soundtracks? Speaking of Metroid, I know you said no former employees, but I really feel it does a massive disservice to Hirokazu (Hip) Tanaka, who was absolutely pivotal to many catchy melodies for the Famicom/NES. Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Duck Hunt... these are still popular themes today, iterated on by several of the people you listed He may not be employed by Nintendo today, but his themes are still popular.
No photo of Kenji Yamamoto ?
"But I wanted to focus more on the other composers at the company, most of whom are overlooked. I'll be leaving out Kenji Yamamoto and Kazumi Totaka, as I feel those two are pretty well known." OP didn't set out to write the ultimate compendium of Nintendo composers; they're just sharing information on composers they believe are not as well known.

Skyward Sword OST releasing in Japan (with credits)
The Skyward Sword OST is releasing in Japan next week and the composer credits are already up.

We already knew the majority of Takeshi Hama's tracks as he gave a list to someone on Soundcloud years ago, but most of the contributions from the other composers were unconfirmed until now. Some notable tracks below.

Hajime Wakai:

Shiho Fujii:

Mahito Yokota:

Yokota primarily worked on the custcene music and most of the official titles don't match up with the fan-made ones, so I only included tracks that I was almost certain of.

And because I feel like someone will ask this, Hama did Groose and Fi's themes, as well as all of their variations.

Hopefully there are more soundtracks with credits to come, but it's likely only going to happen for big releases. Splatoon getting an OST release back in the day was extremely lucky.

Not active in game music anymore, but Hip Tanaka is a legend. The man knew how to compose catchy tunes.

Looking through the OST for that post, it feels like Levias/Bilocyte were added in very late because they're the only bosses whose themes aren't orchestrated lol.

Not active in game music anymore, but Hip Tanaka is a legend. The man knew how to compose catchy tunes.
While not making game music he's still making new music under the moniker Chip Tanaka now. In fact he released an album just yesterday!

The Skyward Sword OST is releasing in Japan next week and the composer credits are already up.

We already knew the majority of Takeshi Hama's tracks as he gave a list to someone on Soundcloud years ago, but most of the contributions from the other composers were unconfirmed until now. Some notable tracks below.

Hajime Wakai:

Shiho Fujii:

Mahito Yokota:

Yokota primarily worked on the custcene music and most of the official titles don't match up with the fan-made ones, so I only included tracks that I was almost certain of.

And because I feel like someone will ask this, Hama did Groose and Fi's themes, as well as all of their variations.

Hopefully there are more soundtracks with credits to come, but it's likely only going to happen for big releases. Splatoon getting an OST release back in the day was extremely lucky.
I'm so glad these recent Nintendo album releases are having per-track composer breakdowns. While I would love to see them digitally as well, the one thing I see constantly on digital soundtrack releases is they have awful artist credits. For soundtracks with more than one composer it's not uncommon to have the artist for each track be something incorrect, be it listing all the composers as the artists for all tracks, just listing the lead composer, or the worst one: listing the company as the artist. Not to mention you vary rarely get arranger credits on digital releases either.

Last edited:
Interviews with some of the composers (in Japanese):

Shiho Fujii composing the Squid Sisters songs for Splatoon

Naoto Kubo composing Jump Up, Super Star! for Super Mario Odyssey

Yasuaki Iwata composing the Main Theme for Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Back
Top Bottom